Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 271 | Ratings: 1,642
4.62/5  rDev +2%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

A solid Pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a frothy, two-finger thick, pale, almost white head. The beer is a murky, pale amber color that shows quite a bit of haze (much is a chill haze as it was clearer at room temps) and a rich gold color when held up to the light. I only let this sit for just under two weeks (I couldn't wait any longer), so this was still a touch hazy even before I chilled it down.

The aroma has a tart lemon like bite to it up front but finishes with a distinct tropical fruit and even more pineapple notes at the backend of the aroma. Musty, damp cellar notes mix with a musky, phenolic soaked moldy cotton, sweat stained well worn leather character are a sure Brettanomyces signature. There is a touch of toastiness here that seems to be contributed by both oak and grain; the latter also produces some saltine cracker notes I can't get away from the fruitiness here, while it is not overwhelming (the lactic contribution is probably the most dominant in this complex nose, but not by much) and even a touch subtle, it is quite distinct from say a Belgian Lambic; tropical fruit, with a touch of green apple at times can be quite distinct at times, though at others it can be quite fleeting too. As the beer warms a sort of unripe, green fruit character seems to get accentuated, some how it reminds me of nopalitos (prickly pear cactus paddles ready for cooking).

My first sip is puckeringly tart, but there seems to be a hint of sweetness to this brew too (though perhaps this is just perceived from a soft acetic character). Subsequent sips lose the shocking sourness but retain a robust, amply tart lactic acid component that dominates the flavor profile. The body is quite full for something that is so dry and I am sure much of it is contributed by tannic oak and the lactic slickness that is found in significantly sour beers. There is a buttery note here that I at first thought might be some residual diacetyl, but I am not convinced it is more likely oak derived; in fact I am pretty sure of this. Despite being quite sour, there is still a lot more going on here; spicy oak notes, a solid virgin oak stave woodiness, a touch of urea, maybe a hint of an acetic bite (actually as this warms I think this becomes more apparent, though it is nothing more than a background note), maybe a touch of green apple, . There is a touch of astringency and sharpness to the finish that seems to leach into the oral-nasal cavity and the roof of my mouth after a sip as passed down my throat.

My second pour of this beer is, unsurprisingly, a touch more hazy. Underneath the ever present acidity there is a soft Brettanomyces influenced funk; layers of mustiness, definite phenolic notes that don't quite reach curing plastic levels as well as a hint of musky, sweat dried, abused blankets that become a touch more apparent towards the finish.

I could drink a lot of this beer. The aroma is nicely complex and though the flavor could be a little bit more so, it is still a fine tipple overall. This substitutes very nicely for a traditional Belgian-sourced Lambic and I so wish I had a bunch of bottles of this. For those who like a more integrated faux Lambic, this beer will be enjoyed a bit more than the fresh Isabelle Proximus. Comparing these fresh though, I liked the additional complexity of the Isabelle Proximus (funkiness and oak were more prominent in the first beer released). This is still quite a fine beer though and it serves as proof that the funky beers at Lost Abbey are still strong and full of life.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow, with a firm white head, nice bubbles, not unlike champagne.

S: Sour apples, mild vinegar, malt.

T: Sour yellow apples, cidery, very gueuze like. White wine grapes and hint of sugar as well.

M: Smoothly acidic, not going to pull the enamel off your teeth, medium-bodied crisp.

D: Well worth the wait, this is fantastic gueuze/wild ale, I wish I could drink more of it.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Toby, 2013 vintage. As usual when the Boise crew gets together, sours dominate, but they’re always top notch. Here’s yet another great example, light bodied, tart, fruity and funky. Tasty stuff.

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have tried this beer on several occasions, so figured I might as well review it. It's beers like this that convince I'm just not much of a sour lover.

The beer pours a golden amber color with very good retention and considerable lacing. The nose is pretty one dimensional in my opinion, though if you're a sour lover, I guess it's great. I r eally pick up considerable lemon lime, but with some noticeable vinegar as well. It's a presage of what's to come on the palate, as I get mouth stingin lemon and lime acidity, albeit with some noticable underlying grape as well. Still, the sour component really dominates in this beer, and it's almost painful drinking this. Mouthfee lis medium bodied at most, with a long, sour, acidic finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and so if sours are your bag, I'm sure you'd be in heaven with this stuff.

Have had this several times now, and I'm able to appreciate it more than I first did when I sampled it with some friends in DC years ago, but this still is just too much sour for my palate to handle. That being said, this is always a fun and interesting beer to sample, and it's amazing the amount of flavor it delivers.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle shared by Overlord. Thanks Mike. I've had this on tap a couple times but have yet to open a bottle of my own. Consumed on a nice day in Carlsbad on 11/03/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears cloudy tangerine orange with a two finger white head and great retention.

The nose is musty barnyard, cheese, and wet leather accompanied by orange and lemon. There's moderate acidity in the aroma, as well as notes of oak. Wow. The combination of citrus and funk is outstanding. There's moderate lactic character.

The taste is acidic tart lemon and orange with a moderate lactic sourness. Brett provides mustiness, moderate funk, and a decided cheese quality to the beer. The tart citrus is delicious. Oak is evident. I enjoyed this bottle immensely more than I enjoyed my tap sample. The finish is acidic citrus with a lingering tartness and lactic sourness. This stuff is killer, and so damn drinkable. I'd venture to say this is one of my favorite American Wild Ales and a marvel of blending. Highly recommended. This beer deserves the Gold Medal it won at GABF 2009.

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

750ml bottle courtesy of javib458, thanks man!

Pours a hazy, dark deep golden yellow color with lighter golden ripe banana hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy white head tat slowly fades into a lasting cap.

Earthy funk aroma with lots of awesome horseblanket barnyard notes. Slightly lactic with a nice light fruit presence. I'm picking up some light strawberry notes along with some vinegar and earthy oak.

Tart and very puckering with some strong acidity. Lots of barnyard horseblanket funk with some nice golden fruit notes. Apple, pear, white grape and some strawberry and cream. Extremely dry and sour and very refreshing. Nice earthy oak presence with subtle vanilla characteristic. Pretty well balanced with pleasant light fruit nuances that counter the extremely sour funky notes. Bone dry sour puckering finish. Actually pretty drinkable after the initial palate shock. Probably not worth the $30 price tag but still very good. Recommended.

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros and company at the last whale tasting. Reviewed from notes. Think this was an 09 vintage.

A - Poured into my Kate the Great tulip a hazy straw hue with a sudsy head that fades to a thin blanket. Nice light lacing here.

S - Super, super sour tart funk. Big, tart lemons with lots of oak barrel. Some nice green apple notes too. Oh wow!

T - TONS of green apples here, tart, tart sour green apple sinks as well. Lemons and green apples with good earthy notes as well along with light oak.

M - Mouthfeel is super tart and delicious. Never really puckering, but almost mind shattering dry.

O - Overall this was an exceptional bottle. So glad I got to try this little slice of heaven.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy lemon yellow in color with a frothy white head and spotty lacing. The nose features light lactic funk, hay, tart lemon, barnyard, and a light grassy note. Graceful, layered flavor of sour citrus, lemon meringue, slight orange and melon, with a tart finish that doesn’t overpower the well-balanced taste. Effervescent and slightly prickly palate.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Floydster for this corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Shared with ksak and frederickTbunky.

A: The wild ale is a golden peach color, hazy even before that last pour. Said last pour added a turbid layer of yeast into the equation. The head never amounted to much more than a thin band.

S: The nose is very acidic, sharp and sour. Lemon and citrus aromas are strong, as are the horseblanket scents. The ale has a lactic dryness that is evident even here.

T: I was rather surprised that the first sip wasn't nearly as sour as the nose led me to believe. Rather, sweeter fruits lead off. Peach and apricot, in particular, set the stage for a mild citric sourness that takes over the last half of each sip. The ale's carbonation, paired with the sourness, is very prickly and hot on the tongue. The lactic aromas in the nose are out in full force, leaving my mouth very dry.

M: The mouthfeel runs from fruity sweet to sour to very dry in just a few seconds. The complexity kept me coming back for more and the prickly carbonation was intriguing.

D: More, please. A serious wild ale that really nails it.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml 2013 bottle into a snifter.

pours a cloudy dark yellow with an inch thick head. smell is acidic and lemony .. vinegary. the taste is absolutely perfect. the sourness is not too strong and not too light. perfect flavor. I'd never guess red wine barrels but its so smooth. literally perfect gueuze.. medium carbonation and medium bodied.

overall my new favorite gueze

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

A nice pop when I removed the cork and I see the foam oozing from the bottle. A nice cloudy orange coloured brew with over a 1 finger head of foam. Yes!

Taking a few whiffs, this certainly smacks of an American Wild Ale that is of the sour variety. Huge sourness greets my nosebuds...I'm geting mostly grapes(I'm guessing they are bringing some sweet tones as well cuz there is definitely some sweetness here) but also green apples tartness and some notes of citrus fruits.... with a healthy yeasty note and if your whiffs are deep, you can smell the oak aging for yourself. In other words, the smell is outrageously good and implies an equallly good taste. We shall see.

First sip and the sour starts things off very nicely. Green apples, grapes, citrus bitterness, some fruity sweet tones, yeasty, and slightly funky?? wow. Love the flavours here and the sourness intensifies greatly when you swish the beer in your mouth. And..in between all that, a bit harder to detect but it is there, is an oaky goodness. The second pour sems to bring out more of that oak aging but it certainly isn't a dominant feature. No problem. What I'm tasting the most pleases me to no end.

The mouthfeel just creeps over into medium territory and the carbonation is light but perfect for this brew. This sucker is silky smooth. And you know what? Head retention and lacing are superb!

Drinkability? No sign of the abv and quite frankly, I didn't "expect" any as most of the style are in the reasonable alcohol content department. That being said, this is so easy to drink for me, it makes me shudder. I'm so glad I opted to buy this, being a Sinners Club member. So many positives and so few negatives. Are there any? Fantastic brew!!

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Night of the Funk

A-Pours an opaque peach juice hue. Thin layer of white foam.

S-Funky and musty. Oak and sour lemon juice. Light sweetness and a grassy component.

T-Starts off firmly tart. Lemon rind and wet woodiness. Grass and lingering, zesty sourness. Hints of malt sweetness. High acidity. Quite complex.

M-Has some body to it. Dry. Softer carbonation.

O/D-A huge treat to be able to try this beer. I was not blown away but it is clearly a great Wild Ale. This one is a bit over hyped. Still, not much else to complain about.

Bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Kyle for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a clear orange/yellow color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.0)

(S)- Some great tart fruits and sour; almost lactic background. Lightly earthy of hay, but mostly the sour wine-like fruits dominated the aroma. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour, but a great sour profile at that. Some light earthy hay from the smell, but again, the lemon and white grape-like fruits take center stage.(5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A potent sour/acidic level, but supplemented well by light earth and fruits. It finishes rather clean despite its potency.(4.5)

(D)- This is really a great Wild worth getting your hands on some. Has a great profile and balance with just the right amount of each aspect. Great stuff.(5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.65)
___

**Updated review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2009 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Great tart lemon rind, white grape, and an almost lime or peach fruits. Not a ton of funk, but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal dry earthy hay funk on the finish with even more almost juicy, yet tart lemon and maybe peach on the finish.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute wonderful wild ale. It really is even better than what I remember from my first time trying it! With a much larger amount to critique and a more quiet setting to enjoy it in, I felt that this deserves an even better rating than I originally gave it. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I really do not see how it can get any better than this for the style

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with active white prickly and sprity head, minimal lacing. Scent is musty and sour, finally mellowing into a slight citrus and biscut note, mild vanilla and oak. First sip is tart, funky and acidic but soon rushed into a very fruity blend... mango, apprico, lemon, pineapple... lots of stuff going on there. Slight biscuty sweetness and hints of the vanilla and oak also present. Medium bodied, active carbonation, dry. A pleasure to sip and could see this improving over a long length of time.

3.69/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review #900!

750ml C&C bottle; vintage 2013.

consumed on 9/21/2014 and at 4 Elves party this past winter; both times were the 2013 vintage was sampled.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: yellow bodied beer with thin white cap.

Smell: white wine barrels and some light tartness. Not much going in the nose. Light musty funk.

Taste: Light tartness and a buttery richness. Lemon and green apples. Getting some hints of oak as well. Minimal amount of funkiness that is a combination of plastic and mustiness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low carbonation. Feels slick and buttery. Almost flat carbonation this beer needs some life put into it.

Overall: This must be a beer that gets better as it develops in the bottle. As of how 2013 DDG is drinking, I just don't understand all the fanfare surrounding this Lost Abbey sour. Not much complexity and it doesn't really impress me all that much.

3.56/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I shared a bottle at the epic tasting this past weekend.

The pour is hazy yellow with a thin white head with great retention and lacing. The nose is outstanding with a big, cheesy funk, citrus sourness and grassy hay. Floral with a touch of honey (minus the sweetness), I get a little lemongrass too. With white pepper and a little clove, this is a great smelling beer.

The palate is intense. Massively sour with plenty of lemongrass, orange juice, grass, hay and quite a bit of cheese, this beer is moderately musty. Mild pepper and clove mid-palate, the mild sweetness in the mid-palate (that I recall even the draft version having) is present. Finishing long and fantastic with an intense citrus sourness and a moderately grassy character, this is an enjoyable, drinkable take on one of my favorite styles.
Original scores: 4.5/4.5/4/4.5/4.5

**Edit 16 Sept 2011**
I shared a bottle the other night. This is just not very good,. Overly acetic with the signature Lost Abbey fruity vinegar, with champagne vinegar, this is one note, has no funk and has a moderate acetone character, despite being cellared correctly. Disappointing (for the hype), I'm updating my scores to reflect this.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
I shared this at the mega Lost Abbey tasting. It appears that there's a ton of bottle variation here. The nose is fatty, rancid,moderately funky and again, not acetic. Sweeter, more lactic sourness with a touch of acetic. Sourness is intense, but there's also some fruity flavors with kiwi and unripe peaches. Solid, enjoyable.
3.5/3.5/3.5

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at BBF. Had to get me a few of these.

Pours a lightly hazed yellowish golden, thin white head forms, settles down to a thin ring rather quick, leaves a few spots on the glass, looks nice.

Smell is great, very sour and oaky, vinegar, lemons, honey, sour fruit, apples, a bit of barnyardy funk and some nice barrel character, charred wood, nice nose.

Taste is great to, lots of sourness and acidity, oaky, sour fruit, malty middle, a touch of honey, a bit acetic, has a nice bite going down, some funkiness, very sour in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very drinkable, great acidic backbone, and I thought very drinkable.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it).

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle of the 2013 release. Poured into a Lost Abbey teku glass today, 4/23/2014.

Review #551.

A- Straw yellow-brown body. One finger white head, fair retention, not a ton of lacing. In comparison to Beatification, this looks pretty much just like Sour in the Rye- aka a darker hued blonde.

S- There is a lot of lacto here, as evidenced by a thick, wet yogurt acidity that somewhat comes to dominate the nose. There is some vinous qualities, a bit of vinegar, tart apple flavours, sharp yeast flavours and a nice dry oak contribution. No real red wine barrel notes, but the vinous notes I do get seem to remind me more of a dry white wine.

F- This is where DDG shines the most. This is easily one of the more complex American wild ales I've ever had the opportunity to try. Dry oak, vinous grape, lactobacillus & yogurt, vinegar, a bit of breadiness, tart green apple, chardonnay. It's definitely a pleasure to drink and dissect. Very complex palate profile.

M- Medium bodied, not quite custardy but a bit thicker than a typical sour that's intended to be fashioned in the style of the Belgian lambic. Nice carbonation that leaves a nice fizzy finish initially, but that's lost after a little while.

O- This is probably one of the most complex American wild ales that I'll ever have the chance to try. It does seem to fade in the nose and flavour as it warms up, but I still enjoyed this a lot. I believe people when they say this and Beatification are better than Cable Car, and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to try a good one-third of a 750ml bottle of this to dissect and enjoy. Its certainly not an Armand'4 geuze, but as far as American wilds go, this is excellent.

Re-review: 2009 cork and caged bottle, served in a minisnifter 4/30/2016. I would argue that this is much more well-rounded than the 2013 bottle we drank concurrently; a fair bit of ground peppercorn and lemon remain prominent, but much less of the green apple tartness on the nose and on the palate. It's more elegant and well-constructed compared to its successor, yet just as complex and aromatic. Now I understand why people put a big premium on the 2009 vintage as compared to the 2013 vintage.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Corked and caged bottle obtained in a trade with dagspaceyo, thanks Daniel! I've been waiting for a special occasion to pop it open, but today just felt right. Just returned from NYC, watching the second Packers/Vikings game of the 2009 season at home and waiting for some beer stew to be ready (cooked with 2yr old Bell's Third Coast Old Ale).

DDG is hazy golden colored, very translucent but no floaties (at least in the first pour), with about 1 finger of bright white foam. Some rivulets of lace on the glass.

The aroma is perfect, tart citrus that smells like it came from Brussels. This has all of the best flavors of a wild ale, horseblanket, old leather, and dank basement. It doesn't sound good but it's exactly what I wanted in this beer. The smell of lemons and pineapples brightens it up a bit, this has definite promise.

On the first taste I'm instantly in Brugges, drinking lambics and gueuze in the main square. This is tart and fruity, absolutely perfect. Abrasive and tasty, strong influence from brettanomyces, this is the SHIT. The label states that this is ale aged in oak barrels, but as so often happens with Cantillon and other sour beers from Belgium I have a hard time discerning wood flavors through the bracing sour presence of the beer.

This is about as drinkable as any wild ale can be, the complexity of the flavor keeps me returning to the glass. At only 7% ABV I'd pop another bottle if I had it. Absolutely recommended, I'm completely thankful for the chance to try it.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml bottle generously opened by Thirstybird. Served in my 25cl Allagash chalice. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch white head that quickly dissipated. Lots of effervescing activity on this one as evidenced by clusters of tiny bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass below the cap; no lacing. Nose is slightly tart and sour with tropical fruits coming out (pineapple, star fruit, etc.)? Taste follows nose - slightly acidic and dry, tart light fruit and a hint of cork. Mouthfeel was very lively and consistent throughout. Finishes dry with some astringency around the salivary glands. This was extremely delicious and even quite refreshing and palette cleansing, even with the incredible fruit profile. This is sour, but not puckeringly so - one of the most memorable beers I've yet to experience. I know it's classified as an American Wild, but definitely some gueze like qualities (I guess hence the name).

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey