Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 277 | Ratings: 1,704
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to Brandon East for sharing this bottle!!

Poured a hazy almost pineapple yellow with a tad bit of bright white head. The aroma is a funk explosion of tart apples, sour grapes and great citrus notes coming together beaitiful! The taste follows the nose and attacks the back corners of my mouth with extreme yet smooth tartness.

Medium to light in body with a semi drying tart finish. The finish leaves you begging for more! Overall, this beer was everybit worth the hype. So pumped I got to have it!

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to Slatetank for sharing this brew with a few of us on 2/13/11. Been wanting to try this one for awhile so thanks again Matt!

From a 750ml corked and caged bottle this brew pours a clear golden yellow color with a pillow of white fizzy head sitting atop. The bubbles are fairly large and the cap is supported by a constant stream of rising carbonation. This is quite an attractive looking offering that displays no haze and spotty lacework clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew is funky suggesting notes of Brett that are introduced in a pleasing way that breaks up a readily apparent indication of fruity lemon zest. The smell of this brew was an exciting surprise of lemon verse the funk I was expecting. There is seemingly no indication of alcohol to be found in this smell. It is well rounded and super enjoyable before I have even taken a sip.

The taste of this brew is quite acidic blended with notes of Brett that impart a lightly cheese-like flavor coupled with an overall funkiness. It is both tart and acidic that give an accent to the light lemon flavor that is included. The Brett is enjoyable, not too subtle that you have to search for it and not overpowering at all. The lemony aspect seemingly clings inside the mouth with nearly an oily lasting power of resines. At times this brew seems to pick up a contrasting sweetness that is revealed as I concentrate more on the lemony flavor. The blend here of flavors is enjoyable and seemingly different with every sip, awesome array of tartness, acidity and funk before the first indications of the bitey alcohol reveals itself once the brew is warm.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a moderate to high level of carbonation. Very easy drinking and enjoyable with it's tangy acidity and drying quality on the tongue. The alcohol is well integrated into this brew, it just works. Each sip has a big salivation factor to it which urged me to drink more almost carelessly without thinking about the characteristics it was offering. The only thing I can fault this beer for is it's lack of availability. I wish I could drink this on a regular basis.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

From 04/14/12 notes. Brought this to our DC Sour Tasting. 2009 vintage.

a - Pours a clear deep golden color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonationi evident. Looks amazing.

s - Smells of sour fruits, lemon, citrus, hay, earth, wine, oak, grapes, funk, brett, and apples. Ton of sourness, brett, and some light funk mix to an amazing smell. Near perfect for me.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, light wine, oak, brett, apples, lemon and citrus hops, some earthy notes, and sour grapes. Awesome taste, though the nose is slightly better.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Crisp and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing wild ale; one of the best at the tasing for me, and one of the best I've ever had. The nose is perfect and just a ton of sourness and funk. Well worth the hype and really hoping the rumors are true that they are making this one again. I preferred it to both Synergy and Yellow Bus, though Izzy slightly edged this one out for me.

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A-Pours a bright golden yellow with a thin lace that dissipates into a thin outer lace.

S- sweet lemon and with some deep funk.

T- follows the nose really well. Has a real nice juicy taste. Like i'm drinking a sweet juice followed by a strong funk that completely covers your mouth. Then there is a sweetness on the back end that finishes the beer perfectly.

M- fully bodied and sour. Brings your mouth to a pucker.

O- a very delicious brew. Perfectly balanced between sour and sweet. So glad i got to try this.

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

God do I love this beer and I've only had it on tap @ Lost Abbey. So we'll blended and balanced, slightly tart, medium sour, a little grainy sweetness, and a hint of apricot/peach. It truly is one of the best American sours on the market. The price tag hurts the pocket book but that's the Lost Abbey business model. Worth splurging on once before you die.

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%

2013 B2 Bottle shared with my buddy David after passing the Series 7.

Pours a bright golden-orange yellow color that looks so appetizing. Decent white foam hear that lasts a bit then recedes back into the glass

Smell - hints of straw, hay, grape vinous smells followed by the slightest note of red wine barrel character that gives it a dry tart funk smell

Taste - White grape, Lemon, yeast, straw, funk, tartness that is slight at the front with an amazing finish and as it warmed the red wine barrel character really shined.

Mouthfeel - Dry medium bodied and extremely crisp. Very well done

Overall - Fantastic beer from Lost Abbey and I am so glad I was able to track this one down. Well worth the wait and definitely one of my long time wants.

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to Loki83 for this Gem.

A - pours a bright yellow. White head, light lacing.

S - Not that strong. I smell some funk right out the gate, with some slight hints of lemon peel.

T - wow, begins with a strong acidic and lemon taste right at the start. Some funk follows, with a slight sweet and dry finish.

M - perfect. Level of carbonation is high, and I love that with my sours. The beer flavor lingers.

D - very high. The beer is very sour, but not off-putting at all. The lemon notes keep me interested.

O - another great beer I just had tonight. Well worth it.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Shared generously by Chico1985. Notes from Friday. First of three gueuzes on the night.

A- Murky golden-orange that reminds me of a dried apricot or something. A small white head forms for a bit and a ring leaves just a bit of lace.

S- A big bomb of funk and fruit. Funk lends a barnyard and horse pasture type feel. The fruit balances that out with notes of almost anything I can think of, mainly white wine grapes, apples and some vinous hints. Oak rounds it all out.

T- Probably the smoothest flavor in a sour I have experienced thus far. Just like the nose the fruit is huge. Apples, white grapes, slight peach and tons of lemon/citrus sour fruits. Oak works nicely with the funky barnyard wild yeast. A nice level of sour.

MF- Light body with lower end carbonation suiting the flavor. Gets very sour as it warms more but still at a level I enjoy.

DB- A very smooth and balanced flavor compared to most sours I have had before. The microbes in the beer lend so many nice flavors and the brewing skill put into this helps balance it into a great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Generously shared at a recent tasting by a ratebeer user. I won't hold his site of choice against him. I really had no idea what to expect from this beer. I've found that most Lost Abbey beers suck, but their special releases are mind numbing. Mix that with all the hype that has built up behind this beer and you've got one curious, but cool, kat.

Poured from a 750Ml bottle. This pours a very hazy straw golden yellow, which glows when held up to the light. There is a nice soft white hazy head. Looks near ideal for the style.

WHOA!!! Super sour, lemon, vanilla, lemongrass, sour cherry and light orange all combine to form an unbelievable scent. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. Easily one of the best smelling beers around. The flavors dance nicely on the palate, and combine to form an incredibly acetic taste. Very pleasing to the sour lover. The body is highly carbonated, which is unusual for an LA beer. Regardless, there is plenty of substance to this beer.

I. Want. MORE!

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the Epic Bottle Share at TG. Still have my bottle in the cellar which I am now more excited to drink than ever!!! Sooooo smooth and just the right amount of Tart.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle opened 2014 in celebration of the birth of Evelyn Marie Guercio.

A - Bright gold body. Fine white head settles quickly into a thin halo. Low lace. Nice effervescence in the glass.

S - Round, super smooth nose. Tart green apple skins, white grapes, sweet wonder bread, tangerine, touch of salt, lemon zest. Soft sourness makes your mouth water.

T - Soured apple puree, sharp sour lemons, spiced pears, orange zest, Riesling, savory spice, oak, and yellow raisin. Salt and vinegar chips on the finish.

M - Silky smooth, medium-full body with an outstanding, absolutely show-stopper finish. The beer simply does not die out at all, lingering for ages your palate.

O - Awesome flavor, stellar balance, surprisingly smooth, and possibly the best finish of any beer I've ever had. Truly world class.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades quickly, leaving a slight lace.

This beer has a nice sour fruit aroma. I detect some lemon, and a little orange. It smells sour, to say the least. I can also detect some oaky aroma. A slight earthy funk aroma is also present. Also, just a slight vineger scent.

This beer tastes just as it smells. Some sour, tart fruit. A little oak and some funk mix in as well. As with the aroma, I can taste a slight vineger flavor.

This beer leaves a tart lemon aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, as I would expect form the style.

This beer would make a great session beer. It isnt too high in alcohol, and the flavor is great. It may become cloying at some point since it is so tart.

Overall: I have been waiting to open up this beer for a few months now, and I couldnt think of any better time than Thanksgiving. I now have one more thing to be thankful for.

A snow day treat!

A: Golden with a slight orange tint to it and with only a minimal amount of cloudiness present. It pours a decent amount of carbonation that is champagne like but still leaves a nice ring which hangs around the edge of the glass

S: Nice lemon, grape and pear tartness to start with maybe a hint of sour green apple. Light funkiness and a nice oaky and earthy essence.

T: The tart fruitiness is certainly the starting point but lends very nicely with a subtle sweet oak wood note and vanilla. There is a nice earthy feel that provides a pleasant mustinss. The tart fruitiness reminds me of sweet lemonade mix with pears and sour green apple. This one was really well done

M: A slightly prickly feel and a mild booziness the body is very light and there is no vinegar taste to it

D: This is a great sour that i would love to drink on a regular basis. It is loaded with complexities and quenches my thirst at the same time

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Duck Duck, we finally meet thanks to Vacax. Thanks again, Jacob. 750 ml bottle served in a snifter.

Pours a light orange with good 1-2 finger pearly white head. A bit cloudy and yeasty.

Smells of a real gueuze, Jean Van Roy would be proud. Very funky, "horse blanket" if you'd like. Some good sweetness is under all of that funk. Lemon and orange peel.

Tastes just exceptional. Really love this. I have heard people say this tastes like "smarties" and I can see what they mean. It does have a slight candy taste, but it's hidden under very balanced lemon sourness. This beer is exactly how I like a wild ale, very sour with a bit of sweetness coming through on the back end. So tasty.

Mouthfeel is a pretty solid body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall, finally a beer I don't feel stupid for taking time to track down. This beer is amazing and I would drink it frequently if it wasn't so damn rare.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle

A: Pours a clear, dark gold/nearly copper color with a thin, off-white head that simmers down to nothing fairly quickly.

S: Right away there's a nice blast of cheesy funk and lacto with a big hit of lemon. Light oak and just a touch of apple cider vinegar.

T: A juicy push of tart Granny Smith apple, lemon and underripe pear upfront followed by a smooth middle of oak and lemon meringue. Finish leaves a lingering lemon flesh sourness. Has just a touch of white wine barrel to it, cherry skin and just a breath of funk on the finish. Doesn't carry the funk of something like 3F Oude Gueuze and doesn't have the sourness of a beer like Cable Car, but it's fantastically rounded and just keeps pummeling you with a variety of flavors, none of them bad. An absolutely phenomenal beer. So glad I finally got to try this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to some awesome FL BA's for sharing this with me. Such a wonderful treat. Review from notes.

Golden honey blonde with swirls of haze from the yeast. Nice bubbly top. Beautiful blend of lemon zest, herbs, tannic wood, and must, with lots of citric and lactic sourness radiating all over the place. Very light sweetness throughout. Light in body with an effervescent carbonation that is neither too strong nor too weak. Quite a delicious beer indeed.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Lost Abbey Duck-Duck-Gooze

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
Vintage: 2013

Pours a nice crisp and clear bright golden color with a nice half-inch white head that is pretty dense. Head recedes pretty quickly down to a nice thin matt.

Aroma is of vinous tart notes. There are very slight balsamic notes with more of the lemony Gueze like character. Delicious white wine tart notes in the aroma, champagne and white wine yeast notes are present in the nose as well. Nice mild fruit juice sweetness that help balance the tartness. Notes of apple juice and pear mixed in with mild citrus fruit sweetness.

Flavor is where this brew takes the cake, especially as it warms. Starts off with amazing green apple tartness and sweetness (but mostly welcoming tartness). Huge yet not overwhelming puckering tartness starts things off along with dryness and woody funk notes. The brew is pretty musty and dry with a perfect balance between the tartness and the funk. Amazing tasting sourness that isn’t overwhelming with a great crisp, clean and fluffy body. Overall, this is one of the better sours I’ve had out there. It is clean and not too overwhelming but has some amazing fruit tartness balanced by some nice fruit sweetness.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml 2013 bottle into a snifter.

pours a cloudy dark yellow with an inch thick head. smell is acidic and lemony .. vinegary. the taste is absolutely perfect. the sourness is not too strong and not too light. perfect flavor. I'd never guess red wine barrels but its so smooth. literally perfect gueuze.. medium carbonation and medium bodied.

overall my new favorite gueze

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

A= been waitin for a good time to open this one. This one pours a nice slightly hazy amberish yellow color with a very thin head on it that falls to a thin ring around the side of the glass leacing little to no lacing.

S= The smell is sour apples, lemons, vinegar, funky cheesy brett, a little oak. Really a lot of smell going on here. You could easily pick out a few more odors coming out. The smells meld together in a way I can only describe as interesting.

T= The taste of this one is simply divine! Wow not expecting so much greatness from the odor. There is a dominate sour lemon taste to it that really only creeps across your tongue. There is a lot of oak coming through for a sour. Usually a sour beer is only grazed by the oak taste this has a lot of oak deep inside of it. All the flavors seem like they just touch your tongue for a moment so you really have to concentrate to pick them out. There is a lot of green apple taste to it as well as some really really sour lemons or limes. The taste isn't longest lasting taste I've ever had which I find interesting due to the intensity of the flavor.

M= Low carbonation and super dry finish.

D= This beer is amazing. I'm glad I had the chance to try it and I hope I will be able to get my hands on it again in the future. A superb drink that I was able to share with my girlfriend after we have both worked looong hour for many days making the setting perfect for a nice sipper to be savored. This beer is something that keeps you coming back for more and more sips. Great job Lost Abbey I look forward to more releases.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013, poured into a teku.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-light amber in color, with a minimal-to-no foam head upon pour. Smells of a rich, fruity farmhouse-wild ale with a mild funk note. Taste has loads of sour green apples, with some pear and very small amount of lemon like taste. Clean, crisp end which is quite easy to drink and imploring you to go back to continue sipping. Despite the clean and crisp end, the sour green apple flavor lingers long after the drink in a pleasant way.

Quite a wild ale. Would love to be able to drink this on a more frequent basis and get a taste of the '16 version. However, the feeding frenzy around each release and the steep asking price for trading makes this virtually impossible. Russian River sours remind me of DDG, and for the time being those are going to be the ones I will seek out until DDG becomes easier to obtain.

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding! I'm still not 100% aboard the sour train, but this is definitely a strong push in the right direction. I enjoyed batch 2 over the weekend with a friend and he gave it even higher marks than me. Wish they brewed it a little bit more often though..

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy lemon yellow in color with a frothy white head and spotty lacing. The nose features light lactic funk, hay, tart lemon, barnyard, and a light grassy note. Graceful, layered flavor of sour citrus, lemon meringue, slight orange and melon, with a tart finish that doesn’t overpower the well-balanced taste. Effervescent and slightly prickly palate.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach 08/24/09.

A - Dark straw colored pour with a thin head. No lacing on glass.

S - Funky! Tart and cut grass. Was impressed by the complexity of the nose on this.

T - Amazing. Sharp fruit and tartness, with a good funk profile.

M - Carbonated and crisp. The tartness did make for a "shocked palate" feeling but I found that dissipated pretty quickly.

D - I could have sat there and drank it all night. Honestly. Fantastic sessionable beer.

What can be said really. A really complex gueze-style beer. I don't know how they pulled it off but I'd have been shocked if you told me this wasn't a Cantillon or similar beverage, if I didn't know better.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

I love this beer. Poured from the bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Poured a clear pale golden yellow. Odd - I've had this beer before, and it's always been very cloudy. This pour is very clear. Weird. No matter. A small white head emerges and quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Quite nice. (Note: Subsequent pours were cloudy in appearance, which I like a bit more for some reason).

The beer smells of lemons, vinegar, a dollop of honey, oak, and big blast of barnyard funk. Absolutely fantastic.

The taste largely follows the nose. A big sour blast of juicy lemon citrus, with a hint of orange and perhaps ruby red grapefruit zest mixed in. The oak is there, but very subtle. There's a touch of sweetness in the mid-palate, but that is enveloped quickly by a strong (though not overbearing) sour finish. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is great. Active carbonation, light-bodied, with a sharp, dry finish. Just what I wanted tonight.

This beer, once opened, never lasts long. I can gulp this down with reckless abandon - but I don't. I enjoy the bottle over the course of an hour or more, taking my time, and trying my best to ignore the chug demon that sits on my left shoulder.

This is a fantastic beer, and IMHO the best sour that Lost Abbey has done. Caveat: I have not yet had Yellow Bus. In due time...

Highly recommended.