Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 271 | Ratings: 1,642
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

In my study of the American Wild Ale I had read about the elusive Duck Duck Gooze. So wasn't I happy when on a trip down to The Lost Abbey on Sunday that they had, what I now affectionately call Duck Duck, available. From notes on 2/21/2010.

A: Pours a golden orange with a white head that quickly dissipates.

S: A crisp sourness that imparts a citrus smell of lemon and orange.

T: The taste follows the smell. Was anticipating a more intense sour but found it to be a rather smooth tartness. Very citrusy.

M: Drinking enough of this makes the teeth feel stripped and the tongue rough but it's so good I just don't care.

D: Definitely a sipping beer due to the sour. While it does leave the palate feeling "stripped" I could literally drink this all day. This one gets an overall "major noms" from me.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle shared for special occasion at Armsby Abbey. Bottle pulled from cellar and slightly chilled on ice. Poured to 2 Lost Abbey glasses.

A: Golden yellow in color. Small head with minimal lacing. Millions of bubbles in glass.

S: Sweet, funky, and fruity. I'm getting some green grapes possibly vinous and earthy must. I want to keep smelling this beer as much as I want to drink it and every drink gets a quick whiff from me.

T: Light and tart. Sour with some funk but not overly done on either. They seem to balance each other out and play nicely. Once again I get the green grape taste coupled with a light fruitiness. My friend comments that it tastes somewhat like green apples, somewhat like wine.

M: Nicely carbed and actually fun to drink. I think this beer is right on the money.

D: I <3 this beer. It is that good. I was not sure if I would get to try it and I'm certainly glad I did. This will hopefully not be my last time with this beer. Will seek out a trade for more.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Opaque straw colored pour with a small, loose, white head. Lactic aroma with a sweet, wheaty malt and a shot of fresh squeezed lemon. The flavor is grainy and grassy with some light sweetness, straw and tart lactic finish with lots of lemon zest. Very dry medium body with soft carbonation. I loved the delicate balance of sweet and sour in this.

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

After some insanely bad luck prevented me from acquiring this, brdc was kind enough to gift me a bottle. Very very very happy to get a chance to try this.

Pours a light golden orange with a finger of head. I can smell funkiness as I pour, but when I put my nose up to the glass it isn't as over the top as I was expecting. A nice tart orange aroma, cobwebs, lemon, grass, grains,

The taste is refreshingly tart, just enough pucker to satisfy my sour craving but tame enough to prevent myself from swallowing my cheeks. A nice orange peel flavor dominates, with some lemon juice accentuating the citrus aspect. The funk is mostly cobwebs/dust/dirt, and it is balanced extremely well providing an brew that is hugely flavorful yet not overwhelming. This is just fantastic really.

The body is medium and there is a bit of carbonation sting, but overall it is pretty much what I expect out of the style. Overall, this is a great representative of the style and one that is easy to enjoy and also provides enough complexity for deeper examination.

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle generously shared by ThirstyBird earlier in January.

Pour is bright straw yellow with a thin, fluffy head. Nose is puckeringly sour, lots of citric and lactic notes, good earthiness, a touch of cereal/grain. Taste is a fruit explosion -- pineapple dominates, peach/apricot and citrus follow, much less funk in the taste than the smell would indicate. Mouthfeel is classic gueuze, good body and spot-on carbonation. Will probably age very well.

Incredibly impressive for any American brewery to construct a gueuze like this. Never bet against Lost Abbey sours.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Floydster for this corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Shared with ksak and frederickTbunky.

A: The wild ale is a golden peach color, hazy even before that last pour. Said last pour added a turbid layer of yeast into the equation. The head never amounted to much more than a thin band.

S: The nose is very acidic, sharp and sour. Lemon and citrus aromas are strong, as are the horseblanket scents. The ale has a lactic dryness that is evident even here.

T: I was rather surprised that the first sip wasn't nearly as sour as the nose led me to believe. Rather, sweeter fruits lead off. Peach and apricot, in particular, set the stage for a mild citric sourness that takes over the last half of each sip. The ale's carbonation, paired with the sourness, is very prickly and hot on the tongue. The lactic aromas in the nose are out in full force, leaving my mouth very dry.

M: The mouthfeel runs from fruity sweet to sour to very dry in just a few seconds. The complexity kept me coming back for more and the prickly carbonation was intriguing.

D: More, please. A serious wild ale that really nails it.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

My favorite label of all time.

A: Light straw yellow hue with a nice white head. Light retention with some mild lace.

S: Lots of citrus, mild funky cheesy notes, with hints of earth and hay.

T: Citrus forward in flavor as well. Nice zippy lemony tartness leads the way. Lactic acid, peaches, apricots, and light oak notes.

M: On the lighter side of medium. Nice light tingly carbonation.

D: Darn tasty.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to dagspaceyo for sharing this one.

Opens with a nice pop to it. Poured into stone old guardian snifter.

Pours hardly and head. Color is a nice hazed sunset hued orange straw color. Some sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Lots of horse blanket and funk. A nice amount of fruit: peaches, muskmelon, grapes, and cherries. Very nice aroma. Some oak and citric acid as well.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Nice and funky. Horse blanket with lots of fruit: peaches, apricots, grapes, and cherries. It starts out sour and tart, but then ends a lot sweeter and clean. The oak and citric acid shows in a good way again.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter to medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, but nice for the style. Ends sweet and clean.

Overall, this is one fine beer. Very drinkable. I slowly savored this one to try and make it last longer. Very good. I really enjoyed how it started sour and ended sweet. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks Daniel!

Edit, after having a bottle thanks to kbutler1, I just can't set this beer down. Amazing drinkability *bumped score to a 5.0.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Many thanks to Greg for opening a bottle of this at his tasting! From notes on 1/16.

Pours a kind of hazy yellowish peach color with a good amount of wispy white foam. Leaves some abstract lacing.

Very complex nose. Lots going on here varying from musty bales of hay and leathery notes down low to brighter fruity flavors of tart citrus and granny smith apples on the surface. Some more rich funkiness is evident as it warms and presents itself in a dirty gym sock kind of way. A bit of damp wood, moderate acidity prefacing what's to come.

Initial sharp tartness leads to a good bretty funk mid palate. Some sweet fruitiness is evident which helps ease the acidity, though not by much at all. Lemon zest and a little buttery wood. Like if you toasted a piece of oak as if it were bread, then spread a light layer of butter on it. Anyway, it ends pretty dry.

A very nice level of carbonation makes this brew even more pleasing to the palate and begs for another sip. I would drink a bottle of this every week or so if I had a couple people around to share a bottle. DDG is by no means an introductory sour, but the flavor really isn't too intense. I was digging the aroma much more. Having said that, this beer is pretty...pretty....pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it develops with a little time.

4.34/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampled at hoppymcgee's tasting 1/16. 4oz. pour into an 8oz. pint glass. Been waiting a long time to review this one. Done from notes.

A: Pours no head, no lacing... I think there might be something wrong with my glassware? Beer is a cloudy lemon color.

S: Woody, skunky, barnyard, band-aid, sour fresh apples, lemon, vinegar. Very appropriate.

T: Opens intensely tart and it shocks my palate the first time around. Promising. A second sip tempers the sourness and reveals a slightly sweet middle. Lemon and granny smith apples. Finish is a bit sour but very balanced.

M: Light bodied, coarse, carbonated though you wouldn't think so from the appearance. Very dry with a slightly sour finish.

D: I think this has gotta be the poster child of sours... It doesn't do anything outrageous but it doesn't fail at doing anything either. Very balanced, appropriate smell, taste, and feel. I'd no doubt have this one again but it didn't blow me away like some other sours I've come across.

4.62/5  rDev +2%

Bottle courtesy of Bankhead at the Charlottesville tasting--thanks so much! Delicious!

A: Very bubbly with about half a finger of head that disappears almost instantly into very large bubbles. Light peach and tangerine in the color. Looks like a very dark, yellowish white wine. Almost no lacing, even with agitation, but sill very pretty, especially the hazy white residue across the top of the beer.

S: As could probably be predicted with ease, very very sour. Slight hint of syrupy candy--perhaps bubblegum? A bit of white grapes, light orange, and white vinegar. There's also a nice barnyard funk with pretty dominant notes of hay and horse hair, saddle leather, as well as sweet grass.

T: Very sour and acidic taste approximating sour powder, yet tempered by other elements of the taste. A ton of white vinegar and white grapes here--which I absolutely love--as well as a heavy grapefruit taste. There's a slight funk to the taste, also, which is expressed as slight hay and grass as well as a sort of earthy or maybe a bitter herb or oak, as well as a little bit of a leathery taste.

M: a little sparkly and very fine, tiny bubbles form a crisp, refreshing, sour brew. Very fine bubbles--I almost want them to be a little bigger, though not by much. It's still very good, but I'm not sure I could put it up to a 4.5 or 5. Almost no aftertaste whatsoever.

D: highly drinkable. Mmmm. I have a feeling that if I weren't trying to get a review out of the tasting amount, this one would be gone pretty quickly (though the sour does naturally slow you down slightly).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Duck Duck Gooze, courtesy of Bankhead at the January C'ville tasting. A huge thanks for this huge want! Served in a cervoise.

Appearance: A bright, sunrise on a crystal clear day-hued brew, pregnant with well-dispersed, relatively large-bubbled carbonation that - surprisingly enough - rises to the surface fairly slowly, suggesting a thick body. The head is pure, snowy, and white, and has excellent retention, taking a good 5 minutes and a few swirls to fade any appreciable amount, ultimately leaving a good amount of dusting and a thick but flat, uniformly dense collar. The lacing is similarly impressive, leaving huge eruptions and fingers that themselves have admirable retention.

Aroma: Relatively clean, with all the constituent parts you'd hope and expect. A sweet golden malt note provides a solid underpinning for a large amount of white acetic sourness - bold, smooth, unforgiving, but not too overpowering - and some pleasant fruit notes, peach, lemons, faint lime. The funk is well-integrated, sort of playing second-fiddle, providing a few spicy notes, as well as faint bandaid and horseblanket. So, sure it's mostly tart notes, but the tart isn't so selfish as to not let anything else shine through.

Taste: Amazing. A dry, quenchingly smooth acidic quality that's far stronger than its aromatic remnant and that permeates most parts of the mouth is the cornerstone of the mouth on this one. It's puckering, perhaps not overwhelmingly so, but it comes close. Also, surprisingly, it doesn't overwhelm the base beer, which perhaps suggests how flavorful this one is - pale malts, moderately well-attenuated and that become sweeter as this one warms, as well as peaches, lemons, slight bananas. And it just gets better as it warms, really, with all the elements marrying and intermingling and playing off of the strengths of one another beautifully. If the sourness was toned down one notch and one notch only - and I know many will disagree with me, but this is simply my palette's opinion at this point in my exposure to sours - it would be a 5.0.

Mouthfeel: A body of average thickness, perhaps a little thicker than I would expect, with a ton of spicy, crisp, bright carbonation, complimenting the spicy, crisp, bright flavor profile.

Drinkability: Fantastic. I kept cleaning my palette and going back for it fresh 'cause that first kick is just amazing. But the followup - that is, once your palette acclimates - reveals whole new flourishes and subtleties and is worth the price of admission alone. And though that price is steep - $30, contributed by the ever-generous Bankhead - this one is a true treat, and I'd be happy to pay that amount for this one again if that were an option. Envy for the west coast BAs abounds!!

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml bottle generously opened by Thirstybird. Served in my 25cl Allagash chalice. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch white head that quickly dissipated. Lots of effervescing activity on this one as evidenced by clusters of tiny bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass below the cap; no lacing. Nose is slightly tart and sour with tropical fruits coming out (pineapple, star fruit, etc.)? Taste follows nose - slightly acidic and dry, tart light fruit and a hint of cork. Mouthfeel was very lively and consistent throughout. Finishes dry with some astringency around the salivary glands. This was extremely delicious and even quite refreshing and palette cleansing, even with the incredible fruit profile. This is sour, but not puckeringly so - one of the most memorable beers I've yet to experience. I know it's classified as an American Wild, but definitely some gueze like qualities (I guess hence the name).

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Presented by Bankhead.. a nice surprise from California! Thanks, Henry!

A: Blonde + nicely retained white head. Fizzly and bubbly, with a great sheet over the entire brew.

S: A nice acidity, both full of that whole 'sour apple' aroma and a nice note of hay and that whole 'funkiness' scent to be expected from such styles.

T: Sours can be a very challenging style, and this one does a very nice job of bridging the gap between that separate the palates for such a style. There are some pineapple flavours in there as well, though it adds a beautiful note to it rather than a 'tinny' type of pineapple-ring type flavour.

M + D: This was one of two sours had in the evening, and it brought out the dryness that the other did not. It almost lifts off the tongue... love it! This one steps it up a notch as far as geuze goes, with a little higher alcohol than many. Nonetheless, it's a fabulous sipping sour.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml caged and corked bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange with a 1 finger bright white crown, some retention, and lace.

Smell: Nice amount of lemons along with some honey, bubblegum, lightly toasted barrel, and a hint of alcohol. Different and delicious but not exceptional.

Taste: Oh wow this one is nice and puckering. Good amount of tartness / sourness, lemon juice, green grapes, apples, and a small bit of funk in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light body with decent amount of carbonation. Nothing offensive about the mouthfeel, but nothing extraordinary either. I think it needs a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability: Very sour but a nice flavor profile and good mouthfeel. I got through the 750ml myself and wanted more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from GREGER. Thanks again for this trade. Poured from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy deep golden straw color. Nice one finger white head that stays for a short while. Light lacing the entire time with this beer.

S- This is a interesting beer to say the least. It's funky but not overly so. Nice winelike vinegar notes come and gone in the nose with this that battle with a citrusy (lemon) overtone the entire nose. There is a light oak smell in this that mingles well with a musty presence. Not overly funky but still good nevertheless.

T- This is where the beer really shines I think. The acidic quality to this is what I think when I try sours. Very nice citrus upfront to this with lemons coming to mind right off the bat. There is a very wine vinegar like undertone in the back end that makes me pucker. Nice oak flavor in the middle of this as well. Everything compliments each other well in this.

M- Lighter mouthfeel. Carbonation is good with the style. Lost Abbey always has good carbonation with everything I have had from them. Citrus tones and vinegar notes stay on the palate and in the aftertaste. Drying finish with this beer.

D- Very nice drinkability to this one. I was very impressed with this beer. Strike another one up for Lost Abbey. If you get a chance to try this I would not pass it up!

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Big nice off-white head. Beer itself is a sun-golden-yellow with a bit of haze.

Smell: Lots of lemon and vinegar, reminds me of New Belgium's Bottleworks X. Also tropical fruit like pineapple and star fruit, along with some musty funk and leather, more brett than typical for lost abbey.

Taste: More sour than usual for Lost Abbey. Lemon, vinegar, tropical fruits (pineapple, etc), bret, funk, wee bit of leather, and french oak. Perhaps some honey. A bit lacking in complexity as compared to Isabelle Proximus, and the score for taste reflects this.

Mouthfeel: Was glad to find that this one is carbonated. Very dry.

Drinkability: Incredibly high, very sour and flavorful, but still drinkable.

NB: I enjoyed this one, highly drinkable and tasty. But it simply is not as good as cable car, isabelle proximus, or any of the Veritas line.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach 08/24/09.

A - Dark straw colored pour with a thin head. No lacing on glass.

S - Funky! Tart and cut grass. Was impressed by the complexity of the nose on this.

T - Amazing. Sharp fruit and tartness, with a good funk profile.

M - Carbonated and crisp. The tartness did make for a "shocked palate" feeling but I found that dissipated pretty quickly.

D - I could have sat there and drank it all night. Honestly. Fantastic sessionable beer.

What can be said really. A really complex gueze-style beer. I don't know how they pulled it off but I'd have been shocked if you told me this wasn't a Cantillon or similar beverage, if I didn't know better.

Reviewed on 11/29/2009. Bottle thanks to Smokepot (thanks Joe!). Rating #1500!! Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a small white head. Aroma is quite sour-- some barnyard, some sour candies. Flavor of much of the same -- lots of tart candies and mild barnyard. Sour but not acidic. Very pleasant and easy to drink for a sour ale. Excellent!

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

I love this beer. Poured from the bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Poured a clear pale golden yellow. Odd - I've had this beer before, and it's always been very cloudy. This pour is very clear. Weird. No matter. A small white head emerges and quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Quite nice. (Note: Subsequent pours were cloudy in appearance, which I like a bit more for some reason).

The beer smells of lemons, vinegar, a dollop of honey, oak, and big blast of barnyard funk. Absolutely fantastic.

The taste largely follows the nose. A big sour blast of juicy lemon citrus, with a hint of orange and perhaps ruby red grapefruit zest mixed in. The oak is there, but very subtle. There's a touch of sweetness in the mid-palate, but that is enveloped quickly by a strong (though not overbearing) sour finish. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is great. Active carbonation, light-bodied, with a sharp, dry finish. Just what I wanted tonight.

This beer, once opened, never lasts long. I can gulp this down with reckless abandon - but I don't. I enjoy the bottle over the course of an hour or more, taking my time, and trying my best to ignore the chug demon that sits on my left shoulder.

This is a fantastic beer, and IMHO the best sour that Lost Abbey has done. Caveat: I have not yet had Yellow Bus. In due time...

Highly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Quite murky, rich golden yellow body with 2 fingers of white head that slowly dissipates to a thin but everlasting white lace. Appealing and appropriate appreance.

Aroma: Impressive. This contains just enough of the funky sourness that I am looking for to take it seriously but plenty else is going on too. A tart lemon rind acid hits the front of the nose and then gives way for musty basement aromas, mold, damp leather, and quintessential barnyard character. Tropical and citric fruit notes round everything out and the finish contains hints of gasoline.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and relatively dry. An initial blast of sourness makes way for steady, tart acidity. Not quite as sour as I would like but close. Lactic qualities meld with oak tannins and lemon. A touch of green apple enters into play as does a hint of citrus. By and large this isn't an explosion of flavor but that isn't what I was looking for. This is a well crafted, sour beer that makes for pleasant, easy drinking. Very comparable to several of the more mellow and subdued Belgian originals. Well done. Drinkability is through the roof.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

From a bottle into a snifter @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event.

Pours a hazy golden tangarine color, with a thin filmy covering of brite-white head. This stays rich looking on the edges, coating the sides of the glass with white froth. The aroma is tart citrus right off the bat, probably being most akin to the smell of grapefruit juice, along with some mustiness and woody oak character. Going deeper reveals some cider-like vinegar notes and more pronounced vanilla and char. I like the fact that the more pleasant fruity tartness sits on top, while the more meat & potatoes character of the souring and tannic presence sit underneath with a much slicker feel. Good stuff here.

The taste is a bit more acidic and vinegar feeling at first, but those same brash citric flavors of lemon, peach, and grapefruit just about keep even pace. Esters and funk permeate the whole profile, along with notes of tannic oak and vanilla. These blend in with some sweeter accents of sugar and honey, which thankfully are constant throughout the taste but not constantly overridden by the tartness, sourness, and funk. Wow, oak and vinegar really just sticks to the roof of the mouth in the finish and it is a bit hard to shake. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mild softness that sits on top of the tongue but then gives way to a lower carbonated and slick feel that falls right in line with the barrel character and ABV of this. Once I got past the initial shock of the flavors, my palate adapted pretty readily to this, making for a most favorable experience.

This was, all in all, pretty intense at times for me but in the end, I couldn't ignore the beautiful balance between the tartness, sourness, funk, sweetness, and barrel flavors. Just a fantastic Wild Ale blend here. A beer to be proud of for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

I owe a big thanks to Jordan from Holiday Wine in San Diego. I walked in not knowing what I was in store for, the man hooked me up.

The appearance is light straw blonde. Really thick one finger head with dense white foam. The pour was beautiful, really tiny fine bubbles with a crisp carbonation. This was a hazy brew when it came out of the fridge and was still hazy till the last drop. There was a good deal of sediment in the bottle and the last glass had some friendly floaters. Leaves a medium lacing with beautiful alcoholic legs. When I popped the cork it flew across my kitchen, I was scared that it was going to be a gusher, but it just sat patiently in the bottle waiting to be consumed.

The smell on this brew is very pungent. There are also more than a dozen few smells that present themselves throughout the entire bottle. The first smell is Brett, this is starting to become one of my favorite smells. Smells like a bit of soured lemons and a bit of juicy sweet apple. The Brett smell I was referring to was a funky sweaty sock smell. I have never understood what 'horse blanket' was until this one. Has a Granny Smith apple sweetness in the beginning. When I popped this brew I stuck my nose right in the bottle and inhaled with all my strength, what I got was super acidic and burnt the nostrils. There is a bite to the nose that is acidic and abrasive. This beer for me was about salivating, I did not stop for a while, even after I finished the beer.

The taste is inspiring. The first taste was one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. Sours and Wild Ales are so amazing on the first taste because it catches your senses so off guard that you are taken back with the strength. When I was smelling it, my mouth was salivating to no end. The first sip was so tart that my tongues receptors exploded with different flavors and textures. This is a beautifully complex brew, so many sour and funky characteristics paired with fruit flavors, I am in awe. Let me try and explain. The tart bite at the beginning start the saliva, then there is a citrus and fruit explosion. Apples and lemon are the two big players in this. The Brett is tasted in funky acidity and sour lemon grass. The fumes this brew put off go throughout your entire nasal cavity when it is drank. There is a Chardonnay characteristic that is present, like an oak wine dryness that backs up all the flavors. Hits the back of the throat with acidity, the stomach acids are being abused by something with a higher acid content. The sweet lemon flavor is the strongest and my favorite characteristic in this one. It has lemon flavor, lemon acidity, and lemon tart. The apples bring a sweetness that is paired with the funky Brett in an amazing way. I now know what horse blanket is.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated for this style. Not overly soda-like carbonated like Consecration, because this is a Geuze. There is a chalkiness that I believe comes from the oak and a tart punch that makes the tongue beg you for mercy. The sediment and Brett bugs also contribute to the chalk feel. The fine carbonation drills the tastes into your tongue. What I love the most about this mouthfeel is the acidity and funky tart. You really can feel the fumes coming off of this thing, my sinuses were filled with a lemon sting. Also, the sweetness takes your palate for a ride because it is being attacked on so many fronts. I would of given it a perfect mouthfeel but the chalky dryness put it back just a bit, because it mellowed the fruity juice explosion which was a favorite.

The drinkability is awesome. So mouthwatering and complex that you cannot stop lifting the glass to your mouth. I was so excited for this, and also a little skeptical. I tried the Black Label unfiltered Girardan and was impressed but not blown away. The Girardan was at the top of the Geuze list, so I was weary about the style all together. I have had only a few Geuzes all together, so the style is still a mystery to me. This one was enjoyable on all fronts and was a pleasure to drink. I want to thank Jordan at Holiday again for giving me the opportunity to try this delicious brew.

J

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades quickly, leaving a slight lace.

This beer has a nice sour fruit aroma. I detect some lemon, and a little orange. It smells sour, to say the least. I can also detect some oaky aroma. A slight earthy funk aroma is also present. Also, just a slight vineger scent.

This beer tastes just as it smells. Some sour, tart fruit. A little oak and some funk mix in as well. As with the aroma, I can taste a slight vineger flavor.

This beer leaves a tart lemon aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, as I would expect form the style.

This beer would make a great session beer. It isnt too high in alcohol, and the flavor is great. It may become cloying at some point since it is so tart.

Overall: I have been waiting to open up this beer for a few months now, and I couldnt think of any better time than Thanksgiving. I now have one more thing to be thankful for.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey