Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 1,680
4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Big thanks to Mike for sharing this. No matter how mad you are, you can always keep your beer at my place.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy peach hue with no head to speak of. Great color, though.

Smell -- Bright acetic tartness akin to red wine vingar, Granny Smith, lactic tartness, wet oak, and gentle malt sweetness.

Taste -- Begins with a lack of subtlety: sharp acetic tartness coupled with no small amount of sourness. After a few sips the palate becomes accustomed to the acetic/lacto character and the underlying malt sweetness becomes apparent. Interestingly the brett character is pretty mild: a bit of lemon and faint horsiness, but little else. Wood tannin and and wet lumber flavors have strong footing. A proper lambic-styled American ale

Mouthfeel -- medium-bodied with ample carbonation. Finish is nicely drying.

Drinkability -- Quite good, though more in line with a younger, unblended lambic with the malt sweetness and gentler brett character. This has to be the most labic-like of any American wild I've had to date. That said I wouldn't say that this is any better than Cantillon or Girardin gueuzes, both of which being far more accessible.

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From 750 mL bottle to tulip glass

Straw-yellow in color, clear and effervescent. The nose is distinct notes of citric acid and vinegar with a touch of honey sweetness lingering. The flavors are sharply sour at the front, with unraveling notes of citrus and unripe fruit, perhaps apple. Bubbly and light on the palate, especially for the ABV. Notes of pepper toward a short, citrusy finish.

A refreshing, compelling ale, but not as well-rounded as the first release, and not as good as the hype or the price would lead you to think. There are plenty of other sour brews with more depth and complexity. This probably could use a year or two in the cellar as well.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Matt for supplying. Sweet pick-up from So Cal.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger of head. It dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing. The carbonation is low.

S - Brett and lacto at first followed by subtler characters of honey and maybe a bit of caramel. There is a hint of oak as well.

T - Brett and lacto are the most prevalent flavors. As the beer warms up there are more fruity esters, but also perhaps this beer was aged in a white wine barrel as well. Definitely oak and caramel and honey compose the background. Hops are minimal, but just enough to leave some residual bittering flavor.

M - Moderate bodied and malt dominated, with funk and sourness. Also, a residual amount of sweetness present from the esters and oak aging.

D - Exceptional. I could really sit and session with this sour. The sourness is not too much (cuvee rene) as the white wine barrel aging adds residual sweetness. Definitely a top 100 beer.

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

After some insanely bad luck prevented me from acquiring this, brdc was kind enough to gift me a bottle. Very very very happy to get a chance to try this.

Pours a light golden orange with a finger of head. I can smell funkiness as I pour, but when I put my nose up to the glass it isn't as over the top as I was expecting. A nice tart orange aroma, cobwebs, lemon, grass, grains,

The taste is refreshingly tart, just enough pucker to satisfy my sour craving but tame enough to prevent myself from swallowing my cheeks. A nice orange peel flavor dominates, with some lemon juice accentuating the citrus aspect. The funk is mostly cobwebs/dust/dirt, and it is balanced extremely well providing an brew that is hugely flavorful yet not overwhelming. This is just fantastic really.

The body is medium and there is a bit of carbonation sting, but overall it is pretty much what I expect out of the style. Overall, this is a great representative of the style and one that is easy to enjoy and also provides enough complexity for deeper examination.

4.52/5  rDev -0.2%

I have been waiting for quite some time to crack this bottle, and last night at our tasting it finally came out. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tasting glass.

A: Hazy straw yellow color. The pour dropped an impressive, fizzy head that left some nice lace.

A: Notes of sour and tart green apples, chardonay, lemon, grass, and light bread. Not overly funky in the nose, but you can tell this one will be acidic. Light notes of brett.

T: More green apples, lemon rind, grass, white wine, and of course the sour funk. It finishes rather dry and, as expected, very tart.

M: Light to medium body, heavy carbonation. Tingely and somewhat sharp.

D and overall impression: Drinkability with many sours is a little lower for me, but with this one, I would not have a problem finishing the bottle. Overall, this was my favorite of a night in which 8 of the top 10 sours were consumed. I only wish I had another bottle. Fantastic! Skal.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades quickly, leaving a slight lace.

This beer has a nice sour fruit aroma. I detect some lemon, and a little orange. It smells sour, to say the least. I can also detect some oaky aroma. A slight earthy funk aroma is also present. Also, just a slight vineger scent.

This beer tastes just as it smells. Some sour, tart fruit. A little oak and some funk mix in as well. As with the aroma, I can taste a slight vineger flavor.

This beer leaves a tart lemon aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, as I would expect form the style.

This beer would make a great session beer. It isnt too high in alcohol, and the flavor is great. It may become cloying at some point since it is so tart.

Overall: I have been waiting to open up this beer for a few months now, and I couldnt think of any better time than Thanksgiving. I now have one more thing to be thankful for.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

**Updated 3/12/2016**

2013 release. 750 ml bottle poured into a Cantillon balloon glass.

Appearance: Pours a light golden orange color with some wispy patches of white foam and a thinnish ring, but no real head. Body is clear with steady levels of fine visible carbonation.

Smell: Damp oak, green apple, pear, wet hay, red wine, lacto and a hint of melon. Really oaky.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, the taste is super oaky. Additional notes of red grape, funk, slight red berry character, lemon and a mild peachy/apricot type character in the finish. Sourness is medium.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, with medium fine carbonation. Maybe a little thinner than ideal, but not watery by any means. Finishes mostly dry. Surprisingly refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall: One of the best american wild ales out there, and still holding up really well in the bottle after almost 3 years.

**Original review from June 2014**

On tap at Capone's during Philly beer week. Served in a mini snifter.

Appearance: Golden yellow in color with no head (These were all poured from the keg at the same time and then brought out all together at the same time, so it's possible any head had already dissipated). Body is slightly hazy. (3.75)

Smell: Grape, lacto, oak, funk, slight vinegar. Overall quite vinous. (4.25)

Taste: Follows the aroma pretty closely. Red grape, quite strong lacto presence, a bit more oak then in the nose and some barnyard like brett character. Sourness is medium. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium/low gentle carbonation. Relatively soft mouthfeel. (4.5)

Overall: An excellent American wild ale. You'll never mistake this for a gueuze, as the name might lead you to believe, but this is still a excellent beer worth seeking out. (4.5)

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Special thanks to Chris for this out of his SECOND bottle he opened! Epic

A- golden body of rarity with little to no head

S-very funky and delicious. My mouth is watering writing this review

T- oh dear lord that is the stuff. Funky and rare. The stuff dreams are made of

M-light body and smooth. Soo good

O-wow. Redonkulous!

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the Epic Bottle Share at TG. Still have my bottle in the cellar which I am now more excited to drink than ever!!! Sooooo smooth and just the right amount of Tart.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

5 oz. pour. HUGE thanks to BMan1113VR for bringing this to my tasting last night. Review from notes.

Murky straw golden color. Finger of fluffy white head that dies down to a layer of foam. No lace.

Smells quite sour. Horse blanket. Sour white grapes.

Tastes of white wine, horse blanket, peaches, apricots, and sour grapes. Refreshing and bright.

Mouthfeel is pretty puckering, light bodied, and light carbonation.

Pretty insanely drinkable. Great to try this one. Would be awesome on a hot summer day.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage
Best smelling sour I've encountered...just a white grape/wine bomb
Taste is not far behind-tons of light fruity, tart funky character...easy drinking

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%

2013 B2 Bottle shared with my buddy David after passing the Series 7.

Pours a bright golden-orange yellow color that looks so appetizing. Decent white foam hear that lasts a bit then recedes back into the glass

Smell - hints of straw, hay, grape vinous smells followed by the slightest note of red wine barrel character that gives it a dry tart funk smell

Taste - White grape, Lemon, yeast, straw, funk, tartness that is slight at the front with an amazing finish and as it warmed the red wine barrel character really shined.

Mouthfeel - Dry medium bodied and extremely crisp. Very well done

Overall - Fantastic beer from Lost Abbey and I am so glad I was able to track this one down. Well worth the wait and definitely one of my long time wants.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 1

A - Dark golden color with no head

S - Tart lemons, light sweet tarts, lactic acid, light oak, some orange 4.25

T -Tart lemon, musty oak, orange, and lactic acid. There is really a strong tartness to it but despite that the oak adds enough funk to give the beer a complexity beyond being just a straight tart bomb.

M - Had a lot of carbonation yet was rather smooth. However, when it's as tart as this beer was, it definitely felt sharp on the tongue and had a dry finish

O - This is a solid American wild ale that goes up there with some of the Belgians I've had. It definitely was one of the most sour beers I've had as it was rather tart with just enough funk and complexity to keep it grounded and interesting

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We'll, finally I'm at 500 reviews! I had thought about what I would rate for my 500th review and I love the Lost Abbey sours so it was nice that this highly anticipated beer came out just around the time I was close to 500 reviews.

I got to try this beer on tap at the Stone Sour Fest 09. This was the only beer I actually went back for a 2nd time.

The duck is a pale, hazy, yellow color with a good inch of foam. Good head retention and soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

Light cheese and funk on the nose, a bit oak buttery and popcorn aroma, lemon and tart citrus fruits. Not as funky or sour as I was hoping for but still nice.

Now, the taste is a bit better than the aroma, more of what I expected. Cheese upfront, brett, lemon, leather, and hay. Medium acidity with some vinegar on the finish. Semi-dry with still a touch of malt sweetness. More leathery flavors with each sip, oak and vanilla, more fruity as well. To me this tastes more like a 2 year old lambic, it's not a traditional gueuze in that it's a 1, 2, and 3 year old blend of the same beer. I heard this beer has some 1, 2, not sure on 3 year old beer but supposedly there is a beer blended in here that is older than three years. Good carbonation and creamy on the palate with some body from the sweetness. Nice dry finish.

I think this one will age very well and get drier and funkier as the years go by. Looking forward to having a pint and buying some bottles of this at the upcoming release.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Giant thanks to auroracrisis for sending me this way back when. Finally got a chance to open it with the right people.

Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head. As soon as the yeast gets kicked up, the pours become hazy.

Sour without being vinegary, acidic and fruity. Light funk...just amazing...

The taste is mindblowing. Again, it's sour without being vinegary, fruity and citric, very acidic and mouthpuckering. Light funk. Lemons and tart green apples.

Mouthfeel is light with a sharp acidity. Fine carbonation. Excellent all the way around. Drinkability is perfect.

This might be better than Isabelle, but I'd have to do a side by side to be sure. I really can't think of anything to make this better, but I can't rate it perfect so I suppose it could look a little better (better head, more lacing, etc). This might be the closest to perfect that I ever have in a beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

4.66/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'09 750 poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Tomme told me to crack this one soon, so I did. Here is what I think about it.

Appearance: Golden, minimal lacing. Carbonation still holding up. Probably 1/4 carbonation that it had in '09. Looks great.

Smell: Sour lemon, sour apple, lacto, minimal brett I would assume. Very encouraging for an American Sour>Gueuze attempt.

Taste: Follow smell with tart lemon with background sour apple. I have never had this fresh, this is the only time that I have had it; and I feel like it could last a few years more. Tomme said this was turning to acid, but mine tastes fine. Barnyard funk.

Mouthfeel: Feels like the style. A little wax coats the mouth like Saint Louis Fond Tradition does. Probably 1/4 as much wax as St. Louis Fond Tradition. Really pleasant mouthfeel. I am enjoying this right now on July 4th.

Overall: I have heard many people say that this beer is turning into acid, but perhaps their techniques in storing has been an issue with their bottle. This bottle tasted like it was about 2 years old. If you have stored your correctly I think you have another 2-3 years before it goes bad. I wish I would have had this news prior to me opening my only bottle; but I am very glad to have had this delicious brew.

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding! I'm still not 100% aboard the sour train, but this is definitely a strong push in the right direction. I enjoyed batch 2 over the weekend with a friend and he gave it even higher marks than me. Wish they brewed it a little bit more often though..

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Previous review is for the 2009, it was a 4.5. I remember it being very sour, I had it in 2011. anxious to see how it is fresh

looks fantastic and smells great! nice funky and sour up front on the nose.
taste is a bit sour and some nice sweetness. great oak. beer is full bodied for a 7%er.
overall this a good beer, but don't make my mistake. give this a year or 2 to pucker up and get funky like the nose, right now it's a bit too young. I'll bet the 2013 is drinking fantastic right now.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Seriously one of the best beers ever. Glad I got a bottle.

Pours a golden color with a nice thin head. Dissapated to a ring. Nice lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Very oaky and funky. Little bit of malt.

Taste is perfect. Nice oak and sour balance. Not too sour but nice. Perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

3.43/5  rDev -24.3%

Rating from last summer, I've heard this may have turned the corner but I don't know that first hand so I'm sticking with my original rating.

From a bottle, thanks to radhoesbro. Pours a faintly hazy apricot with a meager head. Nose is a bit salty, with some very distinguishable round, fruit tones I find in most Lost Abbey sours. Nice, but nothing explosive. Kind of a peachy, apricot aroma. Flavor is initially quite salty, which is my overall complaint with Veritas 004, but it quickly melds into a nice progression into a full peachy note. Quite sour and tart with that integrated, round yeast I find in their light sours time and again. Carbonation is medium and is good for the style. Nice, one of the best from Lost Abbey I've had.

EDIT - This beer is a mess as of April, 2011. I think I was overrating it to begin with. Compared to some better peaches it's completely one-dimensional and has a really flat flavor profile. Acidity has taken over, as it does with most Lost Abbey light sours.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Dyan for sharing this one. This one is number 25 in the tasting. Number 16 of day 2. Tried as part of a side-by-side with Isabelle Proximus.

Lightly colored, like a golden hazy straw color. This is missing some of the bubbles and champagne-like nucleation that I really enjoy in my wilds.

The nose is packed with yeasty sourness and funk. Lots of Belgian cheese and a lemony citric acid aroma. A white pepper spice is in there as well, backed nicely by a touch of cloves that serve to augment rather than steal the spotlight from the pepper. The palate brings long a yeasty sourness and funk as opposed to the bacterial sourness of a true geuze. Lemongrass, hay, citric acid, and that cheesy funk pack the flavor. There is a fleeting sweetness that seems to threaten at reigning in the sourness, but then thinks better of it.

Very acidic and mouth puckering, the sourness makes my tongue recoil initially. Very light and enjoyable with that nice spritzy feel that wilds provide so readily. I will need to cleanse my palate with some Pecorino Toscano before moving on.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Wow, this stuff is great. One of the best new beers I've had in 2009. Split a bottle with abfraser last night. Beautiful straw/lemon/golden color with an inch of white head. Very tart, green apple, citrus, slight funk, acidic. Medium dryness and astringency. Slight sweetness, but this really strikes the right balance of dryness. Love this stuff. Wish I had half a case of it to age.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks go to either route66pubs or bret27 for this! (I did two trades for DDG and I am not entirely certain whose bottle I opened!) Shared with newtonty on my back deck on this gorgeous late summer day.

Pours a slightly hazy peach with yellow highlights. An average white, fizzy head was there for a minute, but disappeared, leaving a small white halo. Settling must have occurred as it sat in my cellar, because the more we drank, the cloudier the pours got.

The nose is big and complex on this one! I get a mix of band aid astringency, sour granny smith apples, sour peaches, fresh, sweet honey and tangerine. There's also a tobacco quality and some wood in it. Wow! To me, the peach is the most assertive flavor in the nose and it does smell puckering!

Wow, where to start! Puckering mix of band aids, peach, tangerine and honey again! My college graduate level vocabulary can't give this beer justice. Leathery/woody finish on this one... Just amazingly unique!

The body is light and the flavor is full. I get a film of bitterness on my tongue after sipping! Big complex and fantastic! One of my top 3 favorite beers of 2009!

Edit: Here is a snap of it!

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Many thanks to Greg for opening a bottle of this at his tasting! From notes on 1/16.

Pours a kind of hazy yellowish peach color with a good amount of wispy white foam. Leaves some abstract lacing.

Very complex nose. Lots going on here varying from musty bales of hay and leathery notes down low to brighter fruity flavors of tart citrus and granny smith apples on the surface. Some more rich funkiness is evident as it warms and presents itself in a dirty gym sock kind of way. A bit of damp wood, moderate acidity prefacing what's to come.

Initial sharp tartness leads to a good bretty funk mid palate. Some sweet fruitiness is evident which helps ease the acidity, though not by much at all. Lemon zest and a little buttery wood. Like if you toasted a piece of oak as if it were bread, then spread a light layer of butter on it. Anyway, it ends pretty dry.

A very nice level of carbonation makes this brew even more pleasing to the palate and begs for another sip. I would drink a bottle of this every week or so if I had a couple people around to share a bottle. DDG is by no means an introductory sour, but the flavor really isn't too intense. I was digging the aroma much more. Having said that, this beer is pretty...pretty....pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it develops with a little time.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A snow day treat!

A: Golden with a slight orange tint to it and with only a minimal amount of cloudiness present. It pours a decent amount of carbonation that is champagne like but still leaves a nice ring which hangs around the edge of the glass

S: Nice lemon, grape and pear tartness to start with maybe a hint of sour green apple. Light funkiness and a nice oaky and earthy essence.

T: The tart fruitiness is certainly the starting point but lends very nicely with a subtle sweet oak wood note and vanilla. There is a nice earthy feel that provides a pleasant mustinss. The tart fruitiness reminds me of sweet lemonade mix with pears and sour green apple. This one was really well done

M: A slightly prickly feel and a mild booziness the body is very light and there is no vinegar taste to it

D: This is a great sour that i would love to drink on a regular basis. It is loaded with complexities and quenches my thirst at the same time

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey