Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 270 | Ratings: 1,639
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Sour funky and incredible I had this poured to me be Tomme Arthur himself at the Belgian Beer Fest back in October 2009. I had at least 4 rounds of this so I know it was good.

Lemon tart and puckering I wish this were more atainable and made regulary. I can also see why it might not. I was so impressed that I tradeded for a bottle that I have yet to open. I may have to review it in the latter style.

This is one great brew !!

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle sharred with 4 other BA's, Big thanks to Kevin for bringing this beer.

2009 vintage.

A- Pours a Brown golden straw color, absolutely no carbonation at all, really hazy.
S- Really mellow aroma, cardboard, slight notes of fruit, peach, apricot, lemon, nothing really comes out in the aroma overall, slight acidic notes, sour, the nose was a little disappointing.
T- The taste was the complete opposite, really acidic, love the strong sour notes that come out, really puckering, apricot, vinegar, sour grape skin, nice taste.
M- Really dry, medium mouth feel, no carbonation, nice puckering taste.
O- Very impressed with this beer, this has been on my top wants for some time, love the acidity, and the fruity notes that come out, would love to have another opportunity to drink this beer.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle shared by hoppypocket. Glowing orange-yellow with a small ring of foam. Aroma is oaky, tropical fruits such as oranges and pinneaples. Honey and cheese adds a welcomed layered of complexty. Taste has lots of acetic acid, citrus and musty bread. Medium carbonation and deliciously dry. A very good hybrid between a gueuze and a saison.

3.05/5  rDev -32.7%

Thanks to reDUBBELFIST for sharing this at the Philly BA Meetup at TJ's earlier this summer.

This beer is a very pale, hazy straw yellow with a very slight ring of egg shell foam. The beer smells wild and bretty with a little fresh lemon. The beer starts out pleasantly sour and tart with good lemon and green apple flavors, but the finish is pure viengar. The viscous, mouth-coating, saliva-stripping, mouth pucker acidity. It is a combination of astrigent (like biting into underripe apples) and vinegar was very unappealing. This beer is wildly drying for a liquid. This is an okay beer, not the worst sour I've ever had, but it does not live up to the hype at all. I'm glad to have gotten to try it, but it's nothing I would actively seek out again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to jammalamma for sharing this bottle, poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours a golden dark yellow color with a thin white cap that quickly fades to a tight ring around the top of the glass, leaving almost no lacing.

The smell is funky. Hay, cheese, musty old oak barrel and zesty lemon sour are the headliners on this one. There is a brief cameo by some sweet fruits (maybe melon or that one sweet bite of green apple) before it returns to lemon juice and sourness.

The taste is just like the smell. Lemon zest, funky oak and hay, green apples, just SOUR. This beer finishes even more sour than it starts, and just brings funk and sour from the first smell to the last taste, really impressively consistent in that regard.

The beer is light bodied, well carbonated, very tart and crisp and has a great dry finish. The alcohol is never present, the sour notes take it to the limit on this one and come to a point where they are almost too harsh, but they never get there. This is a very good wild ale, something I can't wait to revisit.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Review #250.

Hazy lemony yellow pour. Just a swirl of foam, with some bubbles around the edges.

Sour, oaky, funky aroma. Really nice. I'm smelling some tart lemon, and maybe even some green apple.

Flavor follows. Big sour character, but it's not too much. It's delicious, but I will say that it's no Ithaca Brute. The sweetness, acidity, and barrel qualities meld excellently.

Light body, carbonation level is right on the money. Make your own Lost Abbey jokes here. Ridiculously easy drinker for a sour.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks jmu500...I owe you one! Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a small brandy snifter. Pours a slightly hazy(when yeast and setiment is swirled and poured in) pale shade of gold/yellow. Very small white head that dissapates almost imediately. In this glass, there isn't much lacing, just random thin and fizzy bubbles that slid quickly.

What a great aroma! Lots of brett characteristics, funky sourness...oak, and a lemon crispness. No booze to speak of in the nose.

Tastes just like it smells! Tart up front, oak and lemon...like lemon juice. The second wave is slightly sweet, but finishes quickly with a nice dry sourness that leaves a great tart long lasting aftertaste. Wow what a great beer! Light body, mid to high carbonation...but perfect!

Sour heaven in a glass. After holding onto a bottle for almost a year, unleashed it on Thanksgiving. Perfect level of tartness and love the touch that the wine barrel adds to the taste. I would have to do them side by side to be 100% accurate, but going on memory I would say DDG beats CC. Both wonderful but DDG has a little more subtle complexity.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

I owe a big thanks to Jordan from Holiday Wine in San Diego. I walked in not knowing what I was in store for, the man hooked me up.

The appearance is light straw blonde. Really thick one finger head with dense white foam. The pour was beautiful, really tiny fine bubbles with a crisp carbonation. This was a hazy brew when it came out of the fridge and was still hazy till the last drop. There was a good deal of sediment in the bottle and the last glass had some friendly floaters. Leaves a medium lacing with beautiful alcoholic legs. When I popped the cork it flew across my kitchen, I was scared that it was going to be a gusher, but it just sat patiently in the bottle waiting to be consumed.

The smell on this brew is very pungent. There are also more than a dozen few smells that present themselves throughout the entire bottle. The first smell is Brett, this is starting to become one of my favorite smells. Smells like a bit of soured lemons and a bit of juicy sweet apple. The Brett smell I was referring to was a funky sweaty sock smell. I have never understood what 'horse blanket' was until this one. Has a Granny Smith apple sweetness in the beginning. When I popped this brew I stuck my nose right in the bottle and inhaled with all my strength, what I got was super acidic and burnt the nostrils. There is a bite to the nose that is acidic and abrasive. This beer for me was about salivating, I did not stop for a while, even after I finished the beer.

The taste is inspiring. The first taste was one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. Sours and Wild Ales are so amazing on the first taste because it catches your senses so off guard that you are taken back with the strength. When I was smelling it, my mouth was salivating to no end. The first sip was so tart that my tongues receptors exploded with different flavors and textures. This is a beautifully complex brew, so many sour and funky characteristics paired with fruit flavors, I am in awe. Let me try and explain. The tart bite at the beginning start the saliva, then there is a citrus and fruit explosion. Apples and lemon are the two big players in this. The Brett is tasted in funky acidity and sour lemon grass. The fumes this brew put off go throughout your entire nasal cavity when it is drank. There is a Chardonnay characteristic that is present, like an oak wine dryness that backs up all the flavors. Hits the back of the throat with acidity, the stomach acids are being abused by something with a higher acid content. The sweet lemon flavor is the strongest and my favorite characteristic in this one. It has lemon flavor, lemon acidity, and lemon tart. The apples bring a sweetness that is paired with the funky Brett in an amazing way. I now know what horse blanket is.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated for this style. Not overly soda-like carbonated like Consecration, because this is a Geuze. There is a chalkiness that I believe comes from the oak and a tart punch that makes the tongue beg you for mercy. The sediment and Brett bugs also contribute to the chalk feel. The fine carbonation drills the tastes into your tongue. What I love the most about this mouthfeel is the acidity and funky tart. You really can feel the fumes coming off of this thing, my sinuses were filled with a lemon sting. Also, the sweetness takes your palate for a ride because it is being attacked on so many fronts. I would of given it a perfect mouthfeel but the chalky dryness put it back just a bit, because it mellowed the fruity juice explosion which was a favorite.

The drinkability is awesome. So mouthwatering and complex that you cannot stop lifting the glass to your mouth. I was so excited for this, and also a little skeptical. I tried the Black Label unfiltered Girardan and was impressed but not blown away. The Girardan was at the top of the Geuze list, so I was weary about the style all together. I have had only a few Geuzes all together, so the style is still a mystery to me. This one was enjoyable on all fronts and was a pleasure to drink. I want to thank Jordan at Holiday again for giving me the opportunity to try this delicious brew.

J

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

A. Pops with just a tiny fizz. Pours a clear yellow with some orange in it. A small fizzy white head rises.

S. Oaky upfront. With lemon, green apple, some vinegar, notes similiar to

T. Lots of granny smith, good high level of tartness, some funkiness, lemon peel, a lot more sweetness than expected. Barnyard characteristics are more apparent in the bottom of the bottle.

M. Thin body with high carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. The front is more tart while the tail is funkier.

3.28/5  rDev -27.6%

Had this about a year ago and it has changed a lot. Hazy urine color with lively carbonation. Turbid for the style it's trying to mimic. Aroma is acetone, highly lactic, eggy, sweaty goat fur. I didn't get much brett funk this one just smells sour. Taste has degraded. Eggy, lactic acidity, acetobacter (has a bigger presence). I'm getting a noticeable amount of vinegar that is hurting it's flavor and drinkability. Lemon tartness and high level of sourness is still there. The vanilla sweetness has disappeared or being overpowered by acidity. I felt this used to be a really good beer but seems like it has peaked. I'd love it if an American Wild would have a brett character you didn't have to search through tons of acidity to find.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

Bought this for myself as a present for finishing 2L. Been eyeing this one at the Goat for awhile.

Appearance- First pour is a beautiful clear golden color. Half inch of sparkling white head disappears in a moment. Second pour is much cloudier. I guess there was a lot of sediment left in there.

Smell- Some funkiness. A real dank sweat sock quality. Grapes and white wine. Apple, like barrel of fermenting, rotting apples. Vinous. Downright pungent towards the bottom of the second pour.

Taste- Wow. Delicious. Sour and more sour. Vinous. Just a ton of vinegar. As it warms it literally crawls up the tongue. Seriously, it's like light apple cider vinegar. Wow. Just a hint of grain in the finish. It's delicious, in case I wasn't clear. It's got a really nice young white wine quality. Dries out the mouth, just saliva-inducing.

Mouth- I want this to have a little more bubbly. It's fine for the style, but I'd like a touch more carbonation, especially since it's so dry. The acid tingles nicely.

Drinkability- Want more. More. As it warms, and as the dryness catches up, I also want a giant glass of water. Somewhat glad I split the bottle, somewhat wanted it all for myself.

A really delicious beer. I'm as harsh as anyone on LA, but this beer is fantastic. Wish I had more of it.

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. My birthday present from Dan, thanks man! 10 oz. poured into a Fantome clear ghost tulip on November 29th, 2013.

FYI I'm going to use Beatification B5 as a reference for this.

A - For appearance, it's almost identical. Very hazy medium golden. Thin, spritzy forth of an eggshell head. Some yeasty trails at the bottom of the glass.

S - Really well-balanced across white wine vinegar, soft citrus juice and rind, champaign, farmhouse hay, late summer grass, and orange creamsicle. Just a pinch of fresh oak.

T - Definitely not as puckeringly sour as Beat or most Cantillons. That being said, the level of tart is pretty excellent for my palate. Plentiful of upfront black pepper. Rounded lemon juice, vitamin c tablets, and herbs underneath. Oak tannins into the finish.

M - Light body, very high carbonation as expected, very dry, lengthy finish.

D - I think this is easily more balanced than Beat, pretty on par for complexity and more accessible for someone not looking for stomach-churning sourness. Easy recommendation.

3.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle at the RBSG grand tasting, thanks to Tomme via alohaC who just walked up and poured it into my glass. What service! Hazy blond color with a white head. Funky, horsey and sour aroma with a tart orange juice element. A nice level of sour in the flavor. Not as sour as the better Belgian Gueuzes, but with a similar character of funk and lemon. Pretty good stab at a gueuze, but I couldn't help thinking that I would rather go out and buy the real thing for less money.

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a RR Sour glass. Crystal clear golden with a perky little white head. Very delicate with a few fizzy bubbles, but other wise fluffy.

Vinegar whiffs on the aroma, leather saddle, peed on horse hay.

Fruity tartness up front, grapefruit and white grapes. Vinegar sourness to go along with the tart. Not overwhelming in the least. Nice oak funk riding through the middle. Fragrant sour in the back, yet right in line with the flavor spectrum. Amoeba lacing up high on the glass, half way down. Somewhat dry mouthfeel, tart, nice.

DDG leans more toward the vinegar compenent of an AWA.

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle shared by Eric. Thanks E! Pours light amber color with white head. Aroma is tart, lemon, grass, hay, barnyard, funky, and just smells real acidic. Lively mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose and has hints of lemon, grass, funk, and is real nice. Finishes real tart and acidic. Great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Duck Duck, we finally meet thanks to Vacax. Thanks again, Jacob. 750 ml bottle served in a snifter.

Pours a light orange with good 1-2 finger pearly white head. A bit cloudy and yeasty.

Smells of a real gueuze, Jean Van Roy would be proud. Very funky, "horse blanket" if you'd like. Some good sweetness is under all of that funk. Lemon and orange peel.

Tastes just exceptional. Really love this. I have heard people say this tastes like "smarties" and I can see what they mean. It does have a slight candy taste, but it's hidden under very balanced lemon sourness. This beer is exactly how I like a wild ale, very sour with a bit of sweetness coming through on the back end. So tasty.

Mouthfeel is a pretty solid body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall, finally a beer I don't feel stupid for taking time to track down. This beer is amazing and I would drink it frequently if it wasn't so damn rare.

4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

123rd Review
Bottle to snifter
Vintage: 2009

From notes. Shared with friends - thanks jerz for the trade way back when.

A: Murky, bright golden. Barely 0.5 bubbly (off-white) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Burnt hay, SweeTarts, white grape, aged sharp white cheddar, and hint of must and grapefruit.

T: Sweet Granny Smith apples with balance of tart and sour. Lots of oak and lemon zest with hints of funk and barnyard, but I wish there were more of this. This aspect of the beer is here and gone too quickly - I want a gueuze to be very distinct and memorable and this is not. Sad.

M: Light bodied with soft carbonation. Crisp and dry.

O: I'll be honest, I had really high hopes for this and it was a bit of a letdown. Definitely worth seeking out, but I'm not too crazy about it. I would like to give it another try, but there are plenty of other gueuzes out there that are readily more available and taste better. I think the big thing for me is that this is more mellow that a lot of other ones in this style. Maybe it needs a bit more age, but only time will tell.

750ml bottle / 2009 Vintage

A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Gets the back of your palette tingling with lemon tart, white grape, and oak. Im really not getting the funk on this beer but as is true with AWA its a rare thing., but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal funk but a sweet oak characteristic that I cannot get over.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute beer. I would have a hard time placing it in a category though. Not a true AWA. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I'm going to have to get more - one of my favorite beers. Bravo Tomme.. Bravo

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Hazy yellow with little to no head. Huge chunky yeast at the bottom of the bottle; made sure to avoid that in the pour.

S - Brett funk, some sour apples / lemon. Musty aroma comes out more as it warms up.

T - Lemon/lime sugary sweetness/sourness dominate the palate. This is complemented by a complex woody/oak backbone.

M - Moderate carbonation, huge mouth watering astringency. Leaves the mouthwatering well after the beer is gone.

D - Like most sours, this one is a very difficult beer to consider "sessionable." I love sours, but my palate always feels destroyed after finishing a bottle. Still, I cannot put this one down.

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Glowing orange reminiscent of Veritas 007 - beautiful. Light lacing and fizzing head. Outstanding looking beer.

Floral notes, lemon, sour apple, dried apricot, not so ripe grape..

Will vanquish any sour craving, sour apple, lemon/lime tart, refined oaky background.

Light and fizzy mouthfeel - extremely drinkable, although there is an acidity to this that can be overbearing.

I'd like to age this and drink all my bottles now. I wish this was more available - quite delicious.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received two bottles of this in the mail courtesy of Papollo as a gift. Awesome and huge thanks again!

Appearance- Pours without exaggeration one of the best looking American wild ales that I've seen. A beautiful golden with a good deal of carbonation and about one finger of tight white head that sticks around for a bit and then dies back to a thin layer. The bottom of the bottle is a bit hazy as it pours out, and I add a little of the residual yeast to my glass, making it a nice cloudy golden.

Smell- Very lactic and tart up from. Very vinous and smells of white grapes, citrus, and apples. A fair amount of barnyard and actually the first time that I think I've smelled leather/horseblanket in a beer before as well. Always wondered about those, but here they are, and I've smelled horseblankets before, and it is surprisingly similar. Excellent and complex nose.

Taste- Very tart. Again, very vinous, almost like a white wine with grape being the predominant citrus flavor and also some apple. Funk is pretty strong, especially in my glass given that I added some yeast (tried a sip from a cup poured from the top of the bottle, which was definitely less funky). Barnyard shows up again a bit, but less strong than the nose. Very tart, delicious, and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Spot on carbonation and more body than I'm used to for the style. Excellent in my opinion, and the drinkability is great and makes it worth the price tag.

Overall, lives up to the hype machine. A great beer and though labeled an American wild ale, the closest American approximation to a Belgian gueuze that I've ever tasted I'd say. I have a second bottle that I'm going to age and give another try. We'll see how this one grows. Get a bottle if you can.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Another bottle courtesy of spdyfire83 who generously brought this to the tasting. Thanks Bryan!
A- Pours a translucent light gold with a small head that dissipates quickly.

S- Vinegar, lemon, peppery spice, barnyard funk with tons of hay

T- Wow, this is tart. Like biting into a Granny Smith apple, with lemon zest, peach, barnyard funk, vinegar and oak.

M- Medium carbonation and a lighter body. Has a very dry and tart finish.

O- Haven't had too many Wild Ales, but this was intense with the high level of tartness. I really enjoyed this, but am not sure if I could have more than 4-5oz's. This definitely got me interested in trying more Wilds.

Thanks again Bryan!

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Generously shared at a recent tasting by a ratebeer user. I won't hold his site of choice against him. I really had no idea what to expect from this beer. I've found that most Lost Abbey beers suck, but their special releases are mind numbing. Mix that with all the hype that has built up behind this beer and you've got one curious, but cool, kat.

Poured from a 750Ml bottle. This pours a very hazy straw golden yellow, which glows when held up to the light. There is a nice soft white hazy head. Looks near ideal for the style.

WHOA!!! Super sour, lemon, vanilla, lemongrass, sour cherry and light orange all combine to form an unbelievable scent. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. Easily one of the best smelling beers around. The flavors dance nicely on the palate, and combine to form an incredibly acetic taste. Very pleasing to the sour lover. The body is highly carbonated, which is unusual for an LA beer. Regardless, there is plenty of substance to this beer.

I. Want. MORE!

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

At Woodshop

A -Pale golden color with a wisp of white foam atop.

S- Acetic lemon rind and funk.

T- Starts out sour and tart with a distinct lemon presence. Barnyard funk and wet horse blanket follow. The finish is sour with a lingering lemony aftertaste. Exquisite!

M-Thin with a medium level of carbonation.

O- A wonderful beer, which I've been ISO for what seems like forever. Perfect tart, lemon characteristics with a level of funkiness that leaves me craving another glass.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey