Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Ratings: 1,767 |  Reviews: 283

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

On our two year anniversary (well technically two days after, I was sick), my girlfriend and I cracked this open with dinner. Poured into two snifter glasses.

A: A very pretty hazy, golden-orange body with a very small and supple white head. The dissipation was rather rapid though a thin ring stuck around throughout the entirety of evening.

S: Loads of barnyard hay are up-front, giving it a very earthy and grassy funk to it. Lemons, apricot and sweet malt vinegar notes come through mid-way. The end scent is a distinct extremely tart/sour candy aroma - pretty overpowering, nice.

T: The tartness of the beer sends your palate into immediate shock, whoa, I wasn't expecting that much! Really, a very sour beer immediately calmed only by some citrusy zest: orange and lemon, again. The finish is a puckering white grapefruit tartness - this beer screams sour through and through. Wow. Kind of sickeningly sour after a while...

M: Light, effervescent to a "t" and extremely crisp.

Well, it was wonderful to finally be able to sample this iconic beer from The Lost Abbey. I tried going into this blinded but after reading some of the other reviews, my experience seemed to differ - smarties candy? No way. Not enough sweetness or fruitiness, which I expected a lot of. This beer is definitely one to try, worth a World Class rating? Ehhh...

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Toby, 2013 vintage. As usual when the Boise crew gets together, sours dominate, but they’re always top notch. Here’s yet another great example, light bodied, tart, fruity and funky. Tasty stuff.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Consumed at the lost abbey on 2/27/10 on the day of the carnavelle release party.

A: poured a murky golden yellow with a thin white head and a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: huge citric lemon aroma with hints of oaky barrel funk, viinegar, and apples as well.

T: beautiful puckering sour lemon flavor that is pretty intense with oaky apple notes that make the beer quite acidic.

D: I love sour beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites that has a great sour punch and great flavor to back it up. I really hope I can get more of this sour elixer.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

A solid Pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a frothy, two-finger thick, pale, almost white head. The beer is a murky, pale amber color that shows quite a bit of haze (much is a chill haze as it was clearer at room temps) and a rich gold color when held up to the light. I only let this sit for just under two weeks (I couldn't wait any longer), so this was still a touch hazy even before I chilled it down.

The aroma has a tart lemon like bite to it up front but finishes with a distinct tropical fruit and even more pineapple notes at the backend of the aroma. Musty, damp cellar notes mix with a musky, phenolic soaked moldy cotton, sweat stained well worn leather character are a sure Brettanomyces signature. There is a touch of toastiness here that seems to be contributed by both oak and grain; the latter also produces some saltine cracker notes I can't get away from the fruitiness here, while it is not overwhelming (the lactic contribution is probably the most dominant in this complex nose, but not by much) and even a touch subtle, it is quite distinct from say a Belgian Lambic; tropical fruit, with a touch of green apple at times can be quite distinct at times, though at others it can be quite fleeting too. As the beer warms a sort of unripe, green fruit character seems to get accentuated, some how it reminds me of nopalitos (prickly pear cactus paddles ready for cooking).

My first sip is puckeringly tart, but there seems to be a hint of sweetness to this brew too (though perhaps this is just perceived from a soft acetic character). Subsequent sips lose the shocking sourness but retain a robust, amply tart lactic acid component that dominates the flavor profile. The body is quite full for something that is so dry and I am sure much of it is contributed by tannic oak and the lactic slickness that is found in significantly sour beers. There is a buttery note here that I at first thought might be some residual diacetyl, but I am not convinced it is more likely oak derived; in fact I am pretty sure of this. Despite being quite sour, there is still a lot more going on here; spicy oak notes, a solid virgin oak stave woodiness, a touch of urea, maybe a hint of an acetic bite (actually as this warms I think this becomes more apparent, though it is nothing more than a background note), maybe a touch of green apple, . There is a touch of astringency and sharpness to the finish that seems to leach into the oral-nasal cavity and the roof of my mouth after a sip as passed down my throat.

My second pour of this beer is, unsurprisingly, a touch more hazy. Underneath the ever present acidity there is a soft Brettanomyces influenced funk; layers of mustiness, definite phenolic notes that don't quite reach curing plastic levels as well as a hint of musky, sweat dried, abused blankets that become a touch more apparent towards the finish.

I could drink a lot of this beer. The aroma is nicely complex and though the flavor could be a little bit more so, it is still a fine tipple overall. This substitutes very nicely for a traditional Belgian-sourced Lambic and I so wish I had a bunch of bottles of this. For those who like a more integrated faux Lambic, this beer will be enjoyed a bit more than the fresh Isabelle Proximus. Comparing these fresh though, I liked the additional complexity of the Isabelle Proximus (funkiness and oak were more prominent in the first beer released). This is still quite a fine beer though and it serves as proof that the funky beers at Lost Abbey are still strong and full of life.

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have tried this beer on several occasions, so figured I might as well review it. It's beers like this that convince I'm just not much of a sour lover.

The beer pours a golden amber color with very good retention and considerable lacing. The nose is pretty one dimensional in my opinion, though if you're a sour lover, I guess it's great. I r eally pick up considerable lemon lime, but with some noticeable vinegar as well. It's a presage of what's to come on the palate, as I get mouth stingin lemon and lime acidity, albeit with some noticable underlying grape as well. Still, the sour component really dominates in this beer, and it's almost painful drinking this. Mouthfee lis medium bodied at most, with a long, sour, acidic finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and so if sours are your bag, I'm sure you'd be in heaven with this stuff.

Have had this several times now, and I'm able to appreciate it more than I first did when I sampled it with some friends in DC years ago, but this still is just too much sour for my palate to handle. That being said, this is always a fun and interesting beer to sample, and it's amazing the amount of flavor it delivers.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow, with a firm white head, nice bubbles, not unlike champagne.

S: Sour apples, mild vinegar, malt.

T: Sour yellow apples, cidery, very gueuze like. White wine grapes and hint of sugar as well.

M: Smoothly acidic, not going to pull the enamel off your teeth, medium-bodied crisp.

D: Well worth the wait, this is fantastic gueuze/wild ale, I wish I could drink more of it.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.66/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%