Veritas 006 | The Lost Abbey

lostabbey.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by nickd717 on 11-08-2009

2.72/5  rDev -38%

Many thanks to largadeer for sharing this at ipa247's recent tasting. Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a candy grapefruit pink body with a very short-lived head that vanishes into nothing. It's totally opaque; the glow and color are very captivating.

S: Horse blanket, urine, burnt rubber. Almost as an afterthought, raspberries. Regarding the burnt rubber, I was the only person in the entire house who smelled it; it reminded me exactly of what happens when my vacuum cleaner gets stuck on a rug and chews up the belt, or when a car peels out in traffic. Maybe something is wrong with my nose, but I had a visceral dislike for this scent immediately. EDIT: I have since smelled this aroma in other beers, and have been informed that this is cat piss. So, it's cat piss, not burnt rubber. YUM!

T: Tart raspberries, juicy grapefruit, cherries (?), urine (kind of that post-asparagus pee sensation) horse blanket. Possibly some white wine in there. A dry, tannic, and especially vinegary finish -- TOO acetic for my tastes. It practically burned a hole in my stomach. It didn't destroy the other flavors, but it certainly made it tough to enjoy them.

M: This is very dry, even burning in the throat with vinegar. Kind of unpleasant, actually. Very low carbonation.

D: To be honest, I liked this least among the sour lineup of the tasting -- and, in retrospect, against nearly every other American Wild Ale I've tried. I like the raspberry flavor, but it was so intensely acetic that it caused me physical discomfort. I don't have a strong interest in trying it again. Different strokes.

EDIT: largadeer tried this bottle and felt it was a letdown against other ones. Just the same, this was my only experience, and it was awful. No, thank you.

2.75/5  rDev -37.4%

3.38/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What an experience of a beer! Had this given to me 'drive-by' style from an overly generous WALTONC.

Smelling this beer while walking up to my front door truly took my breath away. The distinct raspberry tartness and ripe plum sweetness were extremely pronounced, and then the lactic acid that nearly made my eyes water. As I walked in my home and held the glass up to the light, the dark maroon, slightly oxidized tone was just beautiful. Again, the aromas hit me and I couldn't help but spend the next two minutes taking it in. Very bold.

The taste was so direct and sharp with a highly acidic nearly raw rhubarb tartness. Very unique transgression from fresh lemon juice pucker to a semi-sweet combination of dried cherries, raspberry coulis and a VERY strong vinous essence. After a few second on the palate, the harsh acetic acid did horrible damage to my tongue. No degree of balance, rough around the edges and a bit excruciating to get though.

There is no head, even with a harsh and very violent twirl in my glass. With that said the mouthfeel came not from weight but from the very long and tart finish. Even with a chaser of water this beer won't let the inside of my mouth go; held hostage by the extreme blast of 'American wild-ale'.

The sharpness and extreme tongue piercing qualities eventually numbed my mouth enough for a certain level of enjoyment to play out. A bit of earth and a hint of funk but overall just too much acetobacter for me to really be convinced.

Veritas 6 is completely unique and very distinct in it's style. Not as complex or nearly as rounded as some of the older Gueuze beers. With this one really comes to understand why these beers need to be blended. This is the Turley of the beer world, rather than quietly letting you find what you like, it just yells obscenities at you.

Big beer, won't forget this one, and won't hope to come across it any time soon.

3.46/5  rDev -21.2%

750 mL bottle. Aggressive pour yields a murky deep red body with a few bubbles, but no head. Smells of raspberry. Maybe some cherry? A little bit of sweet caramel. Smells very acidic. Green apples. And definitely some oxidation. Tastes of sour green apples, raspberry, and just a hint of cherry. The cherry is a little sweet. Oxidation behind the sourness, but not excessive. Completely flat. It's well past its prime, but it has some redeeming qualities still.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

Thanks to Dyan for bringing this rarity to our tasting. I was definitely looking forward to trying one of these! Consumed as beer number 18 of the tasting overall, and number 9 of day 2.

I heard the cork pop, and then I heard, "Oh Shit! Grab a glass!" Luckily, we were able to catch most of the gush and contain it. Once the liquid settled, the color was pinkish red with a backing of amber. There is a nice supple head, akin to what I found with Allagash Confluence. Fluffy and thick, it creates a spotty and delicate laced pattern.

Sweet and sour raspberries dominate the nose, and they are accompanied by a big wild acidity. The palate is similar. A big acidic and sour character is followed up by the raspberries that provide a sweetness that tries to reign the sourness in, but falls just short. The sour aspect of this beer is characterized by a grassy earthiness and a citric acidity in the finish.

Very tart raspberry sour with not a whole lot else going on. The overwhelming acidity tends to make it a bit less drinkable. However, this was a favorite of the women at the tasting.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

I took a bottle of this to our epic tasting this past weekend. I'm sorry to report that this was the disappointment of the weekend for me.

What a GUSHER! It seriously sprayed all over the kitchen sink despite our best efforts. Thankfully, we lost less than an ounce. Hazy, murky raspberry red with a thin, pink head with poor retention and no lacing. Nice color, though.

The nose is interesting. Plenty of raspberries with a pronounced sourness with some acetone character. Moderately harsh, this doesn't seem very balanced. Funk is low, and the nose is OK, I preferred this fresh on tap. The intensity of the raspberries is great.

The palate opens hugely sour, much like biting into an unripened lemon, causing my entire palate to come alive and salivate. However, this just makes the flaws apparent. The sourness is slightly metallic and slightly solventy. The raspberries are big and fresh; this is great! Drying, solventy finish, this is decent. Light in body with high carbonation, this beer has a grassy character. The high sourness really does hinder the drinkability, there's also some astringency present.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
Thanks, Matt. I know I traded you this bottle, but it was nice of you to share it.
Much better than the last time I had this. Bright, fruity raspberries, minimal acetone or solventy or metallic aromas. Strong, sweet, seedy raspberries, this smells incredibly bright and just _great_. The palate is sour, seedy raspberries, an excellent framboise. No acetone, a nice blend of lactic and lemony sourness, floral raspberries, this is fantastic. Medium-light in body with a great sour raspberry and lemony finish, this beer is mildly funky and is fantastic. So glad to have had a good bottle of this.
4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/5

3.65/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pale, clear orange-pink-red body. Thin white collar with no lacing.

S: Funky overdose of raspberry. Mead-like boozy sweetness comes through.

T: Raspberries, strawberries, lemons and cherries with a sweet and sour acidity. Hints of oak and bretty funk.

M: Solidly carbonated with a tart, puckering finish. Slight burn in the back of the throat from the solventy, mead-like notes.

O: Not sure what to make of this beer. It was nice, but it was a bit off.

3.81/5  rDev -13.2%

Once again, big thanks to Frank. Part I of our graduation tasting. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Split three ways. Rather large gusher...beware.

Bottle #10

A- Pours a cloudy, ruby pink...almost like the insides of grapefruit. Produced a fingers with white head. Dissipated throughout consumption.

S- Just not digging this. Very one dimensional with the raspberries. More so, the fruit flavor had an odd, medicinal type aroma to them. Very strange and not that appealing.''

T- Intense sourness as the beer hits the palate. Opens up and brings on a raspberry flavor that can't quite match the sour notes. The sourness grows with an emphatic finish. Very acidic! Not too much funk though. So close to giving this a 4.5, but the odd, medicinal raspberry flavor detected in the aroma was somewhat present here (masked by the intense sourness for the most part).

M- Very well carbonated. Light to medium bodied. Left the palate a little on the dry side.

D- As much as I love highly acidic sours, I almost felt like a hole had been burned in my stomach. Still, pretty drinkable.

Overall, really liked the sourness in this one...almost on par with many Cantillons I have had. However, still some flaws in this beer. Very happy to have had this opportunity.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Huge thanks to Chris(largadeer) for breaking this out at our sour tasting.

Pours a dark cherry/ruby color with hints of grapefruit and blood orange. Frothy, creamy slightly pinkish head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Gorgeous looking beer!

Sweet earthy funk aroma with lots of dry brett and funky bugs. Very vinous with a prominent citrus fruit character. Lots of juicy grapefruit bursting through and a very strong earthy oaky tannis presence.

Insansely sour with an incredibly tart puckering mouthfeel. This is the most sour beer I've ever encountered. Very acidic and esophagus burning. Lots of oaky tannis and delicious acidic citrus fruit. Fresh grapefruit comes bursting through. Very vinegary and a bit harsh but there is a delcious lingering tart aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another sip.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Generously provided at the recent PDX tasting at Hannont's.

The beer pours a hazy pink orange color OK head retention and lacing. The nose on this one is just wild, with the beer displaying lemonade, sour funk and vanilla. While there's some sweetness in the aroma profile, I get very little of it on the palate. The flavor profile includes and overpowering, overwhelming punch of sour, that completely dominates what little raspberry and peach I detect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied in this sour lover's wet dream. As for me, the intense sour is really more then I can take, and IMHO, it detracts from this beer's drinkability.

Glad I was able to try this, but have no interest in visiting this again.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. not sure contributed this one, but thanks!

750ml corked and caged bottle.

pours hazy dark orange, nearly red. a big ring of fine white bubbles forms around the glass, dropping fast and leaving no lace.

aroma is good. huge sour cherry with a bit of spice. white bread and cracker. alcohol. cider vinegar. bit of malt vinegar. caramel.

taste is great. big sour cherry character. light spice. white bread and cracker. alcohol. malt and cider vinegar. caramel. light acidity. more fruity than the aroma. hint of chocolate. vanilla and raw oak. winey.

mouthfeel is good. medium-light body with a very dry finish. medium-high carbonation level.

drinkability is nice. it gets more acidic the more you drink. good depth. nice fruity character. it gets to be a bit too acidic by the end.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to capra12 for bringing this to a tasting on 5/29/10. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Peachy pink with the tightest carbonation possible. This beer looks like a Rose wine that packs a punch.

S: Fresh raspberries, candy sugars, and a little barnyard aroma.

T: Sour raspberries with tannins presenting a metallic taste.

M: Spritzy and light on the palate.

D: Refreshing and easy to take down.

Overall, a good representation of an American sour.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Fair warning on this one, upon uncorking this bottle a geyser shot up around a foot high out of the bottle. As quickly as possible, a glass was poured, after that it was still gushing out the top of the bottle, so another glass was filled. This is the worst gusher I have ever seen, with a significant portion of the beer ending up on the table.

What ended up in my glass was cloudy and blood red with a pink lightish head. The aroma is intense with raspberries, sour acid, lemons, and some nail polish. The beer tastes bracingly sour, one of the most sour bottles I have ever had, much more sour than the versions I tried at the brewery. Sour raspberries and lemon juice made up most of the delicious qualities, with a very dry puckering finish. This would have been a great beer, but there is some nail polish in there tainting an otherwise robust wonderful flavor. Medium bodied with a prickly yet creamy high carbonation. Tastes very good, the crazy sourness is oddly appealing, but the nail polish and acid burn drags it down. This was so close to being an A+ but a couple flaws keep it closer to an A-.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

I did the Wildflower half-ironman, and this was a bottle I brought to help celebrate that achievement.

Poured into my Stone Sourfest tasting glass.

A - Large amount of yeast visible on the bottom of the bottle. When opened, it gushed for about a minute and a half to 2 minutes. Most was foam, but I'd say at least 4-5 ounces were gushed out. There were plenty of floaties in the glass. The beer itself had a pinkish hue w/ about a finger width of head. Some lacing was left on the glass.

S - Noticeable raspberries with a tart/lactic smell

T - it's a sour! Tart raspberries dominte the taste. There is a noticeable sour funk from the Brett. Some oak is mixed in as well.

M - Light body with mild carbonation. I would like more body from barrel aged beers, but this is a wild ale. It's nice, even though it was a gusher.

D - Not bad, but it may be going downhill. Fruit was noticeable on tap at the release, but the sour/tartness is the most dominant feature now of this beer.

4.24/5  rDev -3.4%

I was lucky enough to try this at our Lost Abbey tasting. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Raspberry jam along with some vinegary sourness. It reminds me a bit of framboos. Sweet and quite fruity.

Taste: There is a very strong vinegar note that hits you right off the bat. The sourness is rather sharp. Some raspberry tartness with a slight sweetness after you peel back a few layers. The finish is incredibly sour.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side of medium with foamy, tingly carbonation and a finish that is a bit slick.

Overall: The smell was just wonderful. I enjoyed the taste, but it was slightly abrasive. I would love to have this again given the chance.

Veritas 006 from The Lost Abbey