Veritas 006 | The Lost Abbey

Added by nickd717 on 11-08-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 81
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Draft at Stone, drank an admittedly excessive amount of this as no one else seemed to be ordering it.

The beer is a murky burgundy color, bright but opaque, with virtually no head. Turbid, but the color is beautiful.

Intense fruit in the nose, primarily raspberries, but I can pick out sour cherries beneath it. There's a strong acetic acid presence as well, along with hints of earth and the faintest trace of funk. A clean, fruity, concentrated wild ale. The fruit aroma really makes this one.

Tastes strongly of raspberries, ripe and tart, backed by strong acetic and lactic sourness. Easily the most acetic Lost Abbey beer I've had; their beers generally have more of a lactic sourness, but I find the acetic character working quite well with the bright fruit flavor. Raspberries and cherries are all-consuming here, carrying through to the finish where I get a bit of woody tannic character that makes me think of raspberry seeds. Like most of my favorite fruit beers, the fruit flavor completely overwhelms any nuance here without actually being remotely sweet. It may be one-dimensional, but it's also delicious.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle shared amongst friends. Thanks to Brad for providing 004 for the side-by-side comparison. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Gusher! Bam. Wow did this one gush, even with all the precautions we took. Chilled bottle was slowly leaked of excess pressure. After that, slowly pulling the cork up resulted in a good amount of foam and a hefty dose of noise. After that, a beautiful beer ensued.

The beer itself is a lovely pinkish-red with hints of mahogany. Good white head initially forms, though it doesn't stick around for too long. Leaves some good lacing. The nose is really fantastic, bringing bright notes of red grapes, strawberry seed, and raspberry before giving way to plenty of lactic acid and a really nice funk presence. Mild oak in the background. Earthy as well. The nose on this was much, much more intense than the 004.

The flavor carried many of the same notes as the nose did. Great funk presence underneath a very strong amount of fruit. Strawberry seeds sat in front and were accompanied by ripe raspberry and a bit of red grapes. Acid was spot on, shining behind the fruit and adding a fantastic complexity to the brew. The funk fit right in with the fruit and made the beverage seem somewhat rustic. Mouthfeel was dry and acidic, with a biting finish. Good carbonation in the beer itself.

Overall, a devilishly delicious beer that has been my favorite in the Veritas series to date.

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%

I was lucky enough to try this at our Lost Abbey tasting. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber color with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Raspberry jam along with some vinegary sourness. It reminds me a bit of framboos. Sweet and quite fruity.

Taste: There is a very strong vinegar note that hits you right off the bat. The sourness is rather sharp. Some raspberry tartness with a slight sweetness after you peel back a few layers. The finish is incredibly sour.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side of medium with foamy, tingly carbonation and a finish that is a bit slick.

Overall: The smell was just wonderful. I enjoyed the taste, but it was slightly abrasive. I would love to have this again given the chance.

4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Another White Wale from our epic Rush Hour Tasting I. Also thanks to Mikey711 for cracking this one.

A: Bright red almost glowing with a funky look. Lots of carbonation but not really any head as it all pops quickly. Very hazy as well.

N: Nose has a sour fruity grape raspberry with some oak. Super sour fruit really starts to come through, like sour patch kids in aroma form. The oak and slight vanilla almost quality adds a nice roundedness to it. A very slight yeasty aroma fizzles out, but its so faint you can't really tell.

T: Wow, so delicious. Citrus and sour fruit come out right away. Not as sour as I expected from the nose. Lots of orange, grapefruit, grapes, sour cherry, sour green apple, and some raspberry round off the fruit department. This is followed closely with some oak smoothness. It's semi tart but not overbearing. As it warms a musty concord grape like taste seems to come out a bit. There isn't much to be said for funkiness, its just a delicious slightly sour fruit, bubbles, and some oak. It's also very crisp yet smooth at the same time.

M: Tons of bubbles, crisp flavors, slightly tart, and juicy. Also adds slight acidity that adds a somewhat pleasant but very light sting.

F: Finishes semi dry with lots of bubbles helping the drinkability of it quite a bit. It really is like the champagne of beers. The slightly sour tart fruit seems to hang a bit to give you a nice finish, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The reminder of the nice grapefruit and sour apple do seem to cling for a little while longer as well so you can continue to enjoy it. This beer is so good and drinkable its very hard not to just sip away too quickly.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Jer opened this one up and I had the pitcher ready. This was a huge gusher but we didn't lose any of it.

Pours a fizzy white head. Color is a hazed peach grapefruit.

Aroma: Tons of tart raspberry. Mouthpuckering aroma. Extremely fruity with strawberries, oak, spice. Tart and sour.

Taste: Mouthpuckering goodness. Sour and tart. Raspberries and strawberries. Some acidic flavors. Vinegar. A lot like amarosa, but more sour. Oaky with hints of vanilla. Crazy good.

Mouthfeel: Sour and then some. Tart. Medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. Ends with fruit flavors. Clean.

Overall, this was a great American wild ale. Crazy sour. Very good. Top notch. I was very pleased with this one.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event. Served in a snifter.

Pours a deep rosy amber, with a thin covering of fizzy off-white head. Retains with some foam around the edges and light wisps in the center, leaving back some sparse lacing. The aroma is fruity and tart in the nose, with notes of cherries, raspberries, apples, and grapes. There is a bit of a funky and souring vinegar feel in the background but it doesn't get distracting. I'm getting a touch of candied sweetness and vanilla as well, which evens things up a tad. Very nice overall balance here to the nose, with vinous and oaky character giving this a certain amount of slickness in the nostrils.

The taste luckily has a lot of that juicy fruit character going on with it as well, which comes off as equal parts tart and sweet. The tartness comes off as only lightly acidic and never really becomes overly souring. There is lot of barrel character towards the back of the profile, with deep woody tannic dryness emerging. I'm really glad to see that the fruit flavors stay at the forefront here, as they really do make this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a lighter feeling creaminess to it that then gives way to a more slicker and oily vinous presence. Pretty darn drinkable for a 8% Wild Ale as well but nothing overly earthshattering to the drinkibility.

Tart, funky, and heavy on the fruit character, this was another complex, yet well balanced winner of a Wild Ale from the Lost Abbey. The only other Veritas blend I've had besides this one was the 004 (which was also excellent) and me thinks that I need to make more of an effort to track future releases down.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

I felt exceptionally lucky to be able to open this one up on xmas eve and sit by the fire and enjoy it. Served at fifty five degrees and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 12/24/2009.

The pour was nice, dark pinkish color coming out of the bottle really set it apart right away. Very cloudy with a small, light pink, almost white colored head on top of it that fluttered out and only left minimal lacing. After about two minutes we ended up with what looked like a cloudy koolaid.

Then I went in for a whiff and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Huge notes of cherry right up front, raspberries, sour apples, just rich and ripe with fruit. Very few beers bring this thick, sour, funk, fruit mash up to your face, and here we have it again. Light spicey notes coming up as it warms now as well. Flawless flavor here, seriously just could not get enough of this, has to be some red poppy in here as it has that richness of the tart cherries that I love but with more hints of apples and raspberries thrown in as well. Smooth, velvety carbonation prickles the tongue as you take each sip. Really just enchanting. No hint of the ABV at all, I could have drank this forever and indeed the bottle was gone before I knew what to do.

Overall this was extremely solid. Just a pleasure of a beer. Lost Abbey has taken some hits lately, but this is what I expect from them and the reason they are held to such high standards. This was really in a class of its own.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Jacob for bringing this one to a tasting this past weekend.

A: The cork popped and this one was one of the worst gushers I've ever seen (beer all over the table). Once we got it into glasses, the pour was a hazy pink, almost red grapefruit color with a fluffy pinkish head.

S: The nose on this beer is fantastically sour and fruity. A lot of orange, raspberry, and grapefruit notes come through very strongly. There is a touch of vinegar but also quite a bit of lactic tartness as well. The funkiness is a bit subdued, with perhaps a touch of must.

T: The tart fruit flavors of raspberry and grapefruit are very powerful on the palate as well. The vinegar is a bit more noticeable but not to the point of hole burning. There is also a touch of grapes which works nicely with the other fruits.

M: The body is a touch light for me, but the intense carbonation really works well here and actually makes the beer seem a bit fuller on the tongue.

D: Despite the high levels of acidity, I found myself really enjoying this beer. The fruit qualities of this beer are exceptional and really made me want to drink more.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

From 03/19/11 notes. Huge thanks to Thorpe429 for sharing this one; thanks Mike! Served in a tulip side by side with Veritas 004.

a - Pours a murky pinkish-purple color with an inch of light white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of raspberries, tart, sour dark fruit, grapes, oak, some light barnyard funk, and vinegar.

t - Tastes of very tart raspberries, sour dark fruit, strawberries, funk, oak, citrus, and some acedic notes.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Dry finish and very mouth puckering, which I loved.

d - Another amazing sour from LA; the best I've had by them so far. I preferred this one to the Veritas 004 as I enjoy darker fruits better and found this one much more mouth puckering. Out of the four Veritas series beers I've had so far, this one takes the cake. Would love to have again.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. Shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt.

Gusher warning! Aside from the carbonation problems, this beer is simply phenomenal. Aromatic, tart, balanced, complex, and just delicious. In my humble opinion, this is the best of the current ten beers in the Veritas series.

Original review: March 20, 2011

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike! Served side by side with Veritas 004.

This beer was quite a gusher, though thankfully we were prepared. Served in my Cantillon tulip, this beer appears a hazy, pretty, pink hue, akin to grapefruit juice. The head is thin and fizzy, dissipating to a thin, wispy layer after a few moments.

The aroma is just phenomenal. Raspberries, funk, oak, and sour - mouth watering deliciousness.

World class from the first sip. I am so very glad to have tried this. Lost Abbey churns out some truly amazing brews, and Veritas 006 is one of their masterpieces. A downright awesome sour ale, the flavor is exceptionally bold and wonderful, with incredibly tart raspberries dipped in funk sauce. Highly acetic and complex, the beer offers additional notes of vinous fruits and oak. Oh yeah.

The feel is extremely tart, and leaves you puckering and squinting after each sip.

Overall, a world class beer, and one of the best wild ales I have ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to Sean9869 for bringing this one over to share. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Gusher alert! (Insert Lost Abbey carbonation joke here) Thankfully I was ready for this one - took all three glasses before this one settled down. My initial pour was full or red-brown floaties and was significantly darker than all the other glasses. My second pour, which is what I used for the rating, had a finger of quick-dissolving soda-like foam and left no lacing and settling to a thin ring of bubbles with some light haziness. The body had murky orange-red color and there were raspberry seeds at the bottom of my glass. Not as attractive as Sangre del Cristo for whatever reason.

S - Very sour and tart, with a little bit of horsey funk. Red wine, vinegar, and a ton of unripe raspberries. The raspberry character was a bit reminiscent of Gargamel, but this was far more sour/tart and lacked much of the pale malt/graham cracker element.

T - The taste is actually more complex than the smell - with a some tangerine citrus and red wine grapes in addition to the aforementioned raspberry overload. The acetic acid is intense, but never strays into stomach-melting territory. Well hidden alcohol.

M - This is spot-on for an American Wild Ale. Some light soft carbonation to tickle the upper lip, then a medium body capable of supporting the depth of flavor and ABV, followed by some puckering tartness and a dry cottonmouth finish.

D - The intense acetic acid and high ABV are the only thing stopping this from being perfect. I was very sad when I discovered the bottle was empty - the 8oz or so that I got left me craving more. Delicious, and an improvement, albeit slight, on the Sangre version.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429 in a side by side with V004, yeah, that's right! Served in a wine glass (best I could do).

I wasn't there for the initial opening but based on the amount of overflow in the pot on the table, this bottle must have exploded. Beer does not look like I expected, I guess I don't know what I expected though. It is hazy and pink with nearly no head, moderate carbonation and no lacing. Looks like a fruit lambic.

Aroma is AWESOME. It is mildly sweet with the smell of raspberries or some other berry fruit, almost like seeds, the overall aroma is not sweet but that component is. There is some oakiness, mild acetic, some lactic, some brett character too. Smells really good.

Beer is light to moderate in body, the lead off is bright and burning with carbonation with some immediate sweetness from some sort of fruit, this gives way quickly to some acetic brightness and some lactic smoothness. There is a mild tannic quality on the end of it too but it is not too bad or overwhelming, at all. The finish is nice, not too dry like you might expect but overall it is very tart. Back in the corners of your mouth you pucker and shutter. I really enjoyed this beer a lot. I think I liked it better than the V004. Thanks again Mike, what an awesome night.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a redish pink with about a good finger of head that left nice sticky lacing on the glass. I really loved the aroma to this sour beer that consisted of raspberries, strawberries, cherries, slight vinegar, acidic citrus with hints of oak funk and vinous scents. Up ffont the taste was big on strawberries and raspberries like the nose but also had vinegar, oak funk, and acidic citrus that helped intensify the sour tartness. I forgot to mention it also had a little brett character as well; fabulous flavors. The beer was light to medium body with a whole lot of carbonation that had a slight sweet but super sour and slight dry finish that lingered on the palate. Drank exceptional good especially since I love sour but was also impressed since it was my first veritas experience. I will definitely seek out more of the beers from this series for sure.

3.99/5  rDev -8.9%

Generously provided at the recent PDX tasting at Hannont's.

The beer pours a hazy pink orange color OK head retention and lacing. The nose on this one is just wild, with the beer displaying lemonade, sour funk and vanilla. While there's some sweetness in the aroma profile, I get very little of it on the palate. The flavor profile includes and overpowering, overwhelming punch of sour, that completely dominates what little raspberry and peach I detect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied in this sour lover's wet dream. As for me, the intense sour is really more then I can take, and IMHO, it detracts from this beer's drinkability.

Glad I was able to try this, but have no interest in visiting this again.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Numerous glasses consumed in a snifter on 11/09/2009 on tap at Stone's Tomme Arthur Experience with largadeer. This beer is Lost Abbey's Sangria with the addition of Angel's Share aged on Cabernet Franc grapes. The beer is a beautiful deep burgundy with a nice fizzy one finger purplish pink head. Great coloring.

The nose is of vibrant raspberries. I heard people around me describing the nose as cherry, but all I could smell were raspberries. They're authentic and maintain a moderate sugary sweetness without smelling artificial. The nose doesn't have any noticeable funk, rather a mild tartness with some lactic character. Moderate acetic character in the nose. The fruit is outstanding.

The taste is dominated by fresh and moderately tart raspberries. The fruit is expressive and utter quality, with a low moderate sweetness. The sourness is clean, with no funk, being more lactic in character. There's a distinct acetic presence that is at a nice moderate level, just enough to notice the burn in the back of your throat but not enough to be unpleasant. The fruit dominates but it's quite excellent. Great raspberry flavor. Finishes with acetic character, and tart raspberry lingers.

Upper low carbonation but just enough to keep it from being syrupy. Excellent stuff. I drank my fill.

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Huge thanks to Chris(largadeer) for breaking this out at our sour tasting.

Pours a dark cherry/ruby color with hints of grapefruit and blood orange. Frothy, creamy slightly pinkish head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Gorgeous looking beer!

Sweet earthy funk aroma with lots of dry brett and funky bugs. Very vinous with a prominent citrus fruit character. Lots of juicy grapefruit bursting through and a very strong earthy oaky tannis presence.

Insansely sour with an incredibly tart puckering mouthfeel. This is the most sour beer I've ever encountered. Very acidic and esophagus burning. Lots of oaky tannis and delicious acidic citrus fruit. Fresh grapefruit comes bursting through. Very vinegary and a bit harsh but there is a delcious lingering tart aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another sip.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

I took a bottle of this to our epic tasting this past weekend. I'm sorry to report that this was the disappointment of the weekend for me.

What a GUSHER! It seriously sprayed all over the kitchen sink despite our best efforts. Thankfully, we lost less than an ounce. Hazy, murky raspberry red with a thin, pink head with poor retention and no lacing. Nice color, though.

The nose is interesting. Plenty of raspberries with a pronounced sourness with some acetone character. Moderately harsh, this doesn't seem very balanced. Funk is low, and the nose is OK, I preferred this fresh on tap. The intensity of the raspberries is great.

The palate opens hugely sour, much like biting into an unripened lemon, causing my entire palate to come alive and salivate. However, this just makes the flaws apparent. The sourness is slightly metallic and slightly solventy. The raspberries are big and fresh; this is great! Drying, solventy finish, this is decent. Light in body with high carbonation, this beer has a grassy character. The high sourness really does hinder the drinkability, there's also some astringency present.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
Thanks, Matt. I know I traded you this bottle, but it was nice of you to share it.
Much better than the last time I had this. Bright, fruity raspberries, minimal acetone or solventy or metallic aromas. Strong, sweet, seedy raspberries, this smells incredibly bright and just _great_. The palate is sour, seedy raspberries, an excellent framboise. No acetone, a nice blend of lactic and lemony sourness, floral raspberries, this is fantastic. Medium-light in body with a great sour raspberry and lemony finish, this beer is mildly funky and is fantastic. So glad to have had a good bottle of this.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Grant - thanks!

Pours a muddled dark reddish-orange color with a large slightly off-white head after gushing out of the bottle. The head settles into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of mildly tart raspberries with hints of cherries. Also present are light amounts of soft wheat aromas and lighter amounts of funk.

Tastes very good. Soft medium malt and wheat flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by raspberry flavors that are equal amounts tart and sweet. Midway through the sip mild amounts of funk - wet hay more than anything - work their way into things. Right before the end of the sip small amounts of tropical fruit flavors make a brief appearance before fading out into a moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was a very well done blend as the tartness plays off of the other flavors very well and augments as opposed to overpowering. Well worth a shot.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks for sharing, ipa247! Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a murky ruddy brown tea color with a short-lived head that disappeared into nothing.
S: Acidic raspberry all the way. I get hints of citrus and maybe some other fruits, but raspberries definitely dominate.
T: Extremely acidic with dominant flavors of raspberries just like the nose, including both fresh fruit and preserves. Lingering sourness in the finish, puckering aftertaste.
M: Acidic but not harsh, some acetone, medium body, smooth mouth for how acidic it is.
O: This rivals some of the great Belgian framboises. Perhaps my favorite Veritas I’ve had to date. Thanks for your generosity Jeff.

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%

Huge thanks to Greg for this one. 750mL bottle shared with the usual suspects at the Brick Store. I guess I should've been better prepared for the explosion given what I know about Framboise Amorosa, but as it is, the cork popped and the contents immediately started spewing forth. I'm glad numerous glasses were readily available.

Pours a seriously murky reddish amber with a big foamy beige head that recedes very quickly to a tiny collar.

The aroma is thoroughly dominated by the raspberries, sugary sweet raspberries with hints of tartness mixed in. There are some funky brett aromas in the background but they take a back seat to the sour raspberries.

The taste is much sourer than the aroma with a very tart initial kick. Just blitzes the palate with sourness before the sugar-coated raspberries take over. The finish is dry and oaky.

The mouthfeel is slick with less carbonation than I would have expected given the massive explosion up front.

Another excellent blend from Lost Abbey though the components are mainly raspberries, raspberries and raspberries. Sweet, tart and very tasty.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for this one.

A: Pours a reddish pink hue with a puffy pink tinged white head. Little retention and no lace.

S: Wow I am in love. Lots of funky fruits. Citrus for sure with some subtle tart berries as well. Hints of wine, cheese, and oak.

T: Wonderful. Tart berries and a blend of sweet and tart citrus. Sweet tarts candy, cheese, oak, and acid. Very sour, very acidic, with a gentle sweetness that makes you just pine for more.

M: On the lighter side of medium, zippy carbonation, acidic from start to finish.

D: Uber, I am in love with this beer. Crazy good. To call it world class is an understatement.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with Alex (Masterski) at his place to celebrate my moving to Chicago! Glad to be up here with so many awesome BAs. Poured from 750ml bottle into Bell's snifter/tulip.

Veritas 006 is Lost Abbey's Sangria with the addition of Angel's Share aged on Cabernet Franc grapes. The original Sangria had some Funky Duck in there with tangerines, sour Avant Garde, and not sure what else.

A - Super-gusher alert! Well, besides filling Alex's glass with tons of uber-funky foam, my pour is quite nice. A pinkish/reddish color with a white fizzy head. There's a thin white cap and along with a ring around the edge of the glass.

S - This one smells sweet but you can't not notice the funk that is right behind it. Sweet raspberries, sour/tart notes, lots of funk, barnyard. Really, a nice mix of funk and raspberries. I can taste the Funky Duck but not so much the tangerines...I think the raspberries overwhelm any fruit notes.

T - Very similar to the nose, but more funk! Sweet raspberries, a nice funk/sour/tart, barnyard, horse blanket. It's great when a beer smells so damn good and then it tastes exactly the same, we have a winner here!

M - Light bodied, fizzy carbonation, crisp/dry finish. Similar to the 004 in feel...spot-on for the style. I just want to hold the liquid in my mouth forever but there's too many other good beers to drink!

D - Just an awesome sour! Tomme once again does it again. Not as good as 004 but better then 003.

Edit: Tried this again 10/09/10 and it was just awesome. The raspberries were so pronounced and it's gotten ever better after several months of cellaring.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to capra12 for sharing this one. Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is slightly cloudy and tomato orage-red. Lacing is non-existant but I bump it up .5 points because the glass may be a bit dirty at this point.

S: Raspberries and other red fruits. Peat, earth, and funk. Woodiness in the back. Tart overtones surrounds this one and slightly muddles the aroma.

T: Raspberry tart and sweetness. Vinegary with notes of lemon, citrus, and other red berries. Tartness never fades throughout the experience though this one sweetens towards the middle and end. Finish is messy and leaves a lingering tart aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse and highly carbonated. Abrasive in the mouth and aggressive on the palate but it does to separate out all the flavors well. Dry. Finish is a bit messy. Aftertaste lingers but is very pleasant.

D: One thing that really surprises me about the veritas series is how well and appropriately carbonated they are. This makes a huge difference in separating out the complexities and nuances of each beer. V006 is no different and just a really solid brew all around.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to capra12 for bringing this to a tasting on 5/29/10. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Peachy pink with the tightest carbonation possible. This beer looks like a Rose wine that packs a punch.

S: Fresh raspberries, candy sugars, and a little barnyard aroma.

T: Sour raspberries with tannins presenting a metallic taste.

M: Spritzy and light on the palate.

D: Refreshing and easy to take down.

Overall, a good representation of an American sour.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

They weren't kidding when they said this tasted like the Sangria offered at the Sinners Dinner. It's pretty damned close. I'd need a side by side tasting to try to figure out what's different. Supposedly a blend of Isabelle, raspberries, and avante garde, but who knows. Also bottled, supposedly, with brett ... but again, I'm not sure.

Pours a cloudy, somewhat hazy pinkish red. Even at a barrel tasting, some gobs of white foamy head.

Smells like raspberries. The other reviewer says cherries, but the raspberries in this (to me at least) are pretty framboise-esque. There's a light lemon bite to the aroma and the flavor that I don't recall from the Sangria (one server told me that this was a slightly different, but similar blend ... but again, who knows). This also was a bit more fruit forward in the flavor. It's a friendly, more welcoming sour, but quite good and very drinkable. There's really just a whisper of funk/barnyard notes. It's mostly sweet and sour fruit overlaid on a lip smacking oak base.

If they really bottled it with brett, it might change over the years. Much like with Sangria, I kind of feel like I'm underrating this ... it didn't have the complexity of an Isabelle or a Duck Duck Gooze, but maybe I should have more appreciation for a straight-forward beer done perfectly ... I must ruminate upon this.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast