Veritas 006 | The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by nickd717 on 11-08-2009

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

As with Veritas 007, courtesy of alexd3891.

Pours a soapy head atop a slightly velvet, pinkish body. Excellent lacing.

Aromas are pure rasberry. Pure, pure, puuurrreee rasberry (did I say pure yet?). So refreshing and mmm, so intensely good.

Flavors are, well, rasberry, rasberry, and yes, more rasberry. It's like drinking Lindeman's framboise with a whole lotta sour yogurt/lactic acid on the finish and throughout. And so much more complex.

Mouthfeel is thin and sticky, and almost like drinking a rasberry puree.

Overall, I agree with adavis3891: this is REALLY good. It exhibits the right amount of balance between sweetness and sourness, and all the while displaying a kind of organic complexity. F'ing yum indeed.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a redish pink with about a good finger of head that left nice sticky lacing on the glass. I really loved the aroma to this sour beer that consisted of raspberries, strawberries, cherries, slight vinegar, acidic citrus with hints of oak funk and vinous scents. Up ffont the taste was big on strawberries and raspberries like the nose but also had vinegar, oak funk, and acidic citrus that helped intensify the sour tartness. I forgot to mention it also had a little brett character as well; fabulous flavors. The beer was light to medium body with a whole lot of carbonation that had a slight sweet but super sour and slight dry finish that lingered on the palate. Drank exceptional good especially since I love sour but was also impressed since it was my first veritas experience. I will definitely seek out more of the beers from this series for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to capra12 for bringing this to a tasting on 5/29/10. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Peachy pink with the tightest carbonation possible. This beer looks like a Rose wine that packs a punch.

S: Fresh raspberries, candy sugars, and a little barnyard aroma.

T: Sour raspberries with tannins presenting a metallic taste.

M: Spritzy and light on the palate.

D: Refreshing and easy to take down.

Overall, a good representation of an American sour.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to capra12 for sharing this one. Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is slightly cloudy and tomato orage-red. Lacing is non-existant but I bump it up .5 points because the glass may be a bit dirty at this point.

S: Raspberries and other red fruits. Peat, earth, and funk. Woodiness in the back. Tart overtones surrounds this one and slightly muddles the aroma.

T: Raspberry tart and sweetness. Vinegary with notes of lemon, citrus, and other red berries. Tartness never fades throughout the experience though this one sweetens towards the middle and end. Finish is messy and leaves a lingering tart aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse and highly carbonated. Abrasive in the mouth and aggressive on the palate but it does to separate out all the flavors well. Dry. Finish is a bit messy. Aftertaste lingers but is very pleasant.

D: One thing that really surprises me about the veritas series is how well and appropriately carbonated they are. This makes a huge difference in separating out the complexities and nuances of each beer. V006 is no different and just a really solid brew all around.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

I did the Wildflower half-ironman, and this was a bottle I brought to help celebrate that achievement.

Poured into my Stone Sourfest tasting glass.

A - Large amount of yeast visible on the bottom of the bottle. When opened, it gushed for about a minute and a half to 2 minutes. Most was foam, but I'd say at least 4-5 ounces were gushed out. There were plenty of floaties in the glass. The beer itself had a pinkish hue w/ about a finger width of head. Some lacing was left on the glass.

S - Noticeable raspberries with a tart/lactic smell

T - it's a sour! Tart raspberries dominte the taste. There is a noticeable sour funk from the Brett. Some oak is mixed in as well.

M - Light body with mild carbonation. I would like more body from barrel aged beers, but this is a wild ale. It's nice, even though it was a gusher.

D - Not bad, but it may be going downhill. Fruit was noticeable on tap at the release, but the sour/tartness is the most dominant feature now of this beer.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Generously provided at the recent PDX tasting at Hannont's.

The beer pours a hazy pink orange color OK head retention and lacing. The nose on this one is just wild, with the beer displaying lemonade, sour funk and vanilla. While there's some sweetness in the aroma profile, I get very little of it on the palate. The flavor profile includes and overpowering, overwhelming punch of sour, that completely dominates what little raspberry and peach I detect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied in this sour lover's wet dream. As for me, the intense sour is really more then I can take, and IMHO, it detracts from this beer's drinkability.

Glad I was able to try this, but have no interest in visiting this again.

3.81/5  rDev -13.2%

Once again, big thanks to Frank. Part I of our graduation tasting. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Split three ways. Rather large gusher...beware.

Bottle #10

A- Pours a cloudy, ruby pink...almost like the insides of grapefruit. Produced a fingers with white head. Dissipated throughout consumption.

S- Just not digging this. Very one dimensional with the raspberries. More so, the fruit flavor had an odd, medicinal type aroma to them. Very strange and not that appealing.''

T- Intense sourness as the beer hits the palate. Opens up and brings on a raspberry flavor that can't quite match the sour notes. The sourness grows with an emphatic finish. Very acidic! Not too much funk though. So close to giving this a 4.5, but the odd, medicinal raspberry flavor detected in the aroma was somewhat present here (masked by the intense sourness for the most part).

M- Very well carbonated. Light to medium bodied. Left the palate a little on the dry side.

D- As much as I love highly acidic sours, I almost felt like a hole had been burned in my stomach. Still, pretty drinkable.

Overall, really liked the sourness in this one...almost on par with many Cantillons I have had. However, still some flaws in this beer. Very happy to have had this opportunity.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

Thanks to Dyan for bringing this rarity to our tasting. I was definitely looking forward to trying one of these! Consumed as beer number 18 of the tasting overall, and number 9 of day 2.

I heard the cork pop, and then I heard, "Oh Shit! Grab a glass!" Luckily, we were able to catch most of the gush and contain it. Once the liquid settled, the color was pinkish red with a backing of amber. There is a nice supple head, akin to what I found with Allagash Confluence. Fluffy and thick, it creates a spotty and delicate laced pattern.

Sweet and sour raspberries dominate the nose, and they are accompanied by a big wild acidity. The palate is similar. A big acidic and sour character is followed up by the raspberries that provide a sweetness that tries to reign the sourness in, but falls just short. The sour aspect of this beer is characterized by a grassy earthiness and a citric acidity in the finish.

Very tart raspberry sour with not a whole lot else going on. The overwhelming acidity tends to make it a bit less drinkable. However, this was a favorite of the women at the tasting.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

I took a bottle of this to our epic tasting this past weekend. I'm sorry to report that this was the disappointment of the weekend for me.

What a GUSHER! It seriously sprayed all over the kitchen sink despite our best efforts. Thankfully, we lost less than an ounce. Hazy, murky raspberry red with a thin, pink head with poor retention and no lacing. Nice color, though.

The nose is interesting. Plenty of raspberries with a pronounced sourness with some acetone character. Moderately harsh, this doesn't seem very balanced. Funk is low, and the nose is OK, I preferred this fresh on tap. The intensity of the raspberries is great.

The palate opens hugely sour, much like biting into an unripened lemon, causing my entire palate to come alive and salivate. However, this just makes the flaws apparent. The sourness is slightly metallic and slightly solventy. The raspberries are big and fresh; this is great! Drying, solventy finish, this is decent. Light in body with high carbonation, this beer has a grassy character. The high sourness really does hinder the drinkability, there's also some astringency present.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
Thanks, Matt. I know I traded you this bottle, but it was nice of you to share it.
Much better than the last time I had this. Bright, fruity raspberries, minimal acetone or solventy or metallic aromas. Strong, sweet, seedy raspberries, this smells incredibly bright and just _great_. The palate is sour, seedy raspberries, an excellent framboise. No acetone, a nice blend of lactic and lemony sourness, floral raspberries, this is fantastic. Medium-light in body with a great sour raspberry and lemony finish, this beer is mildly funky and is fantastic. So glad to have had a good bottle of this.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for this one.

A: Pours a reddish pink hue with a puffy pink tinged white head. Little retention and no lace.

S: Wow I am in love. Lots of funky fruits. Citrus for sure with some subtle tart berries as well. Hints of wine, cheese, and oak.

T: Wonderful. Tart berries and a blend of sweet and tart citrus. Sweet tarts candy, cheese, oak, and acid. Very sour, very acidic, with a gentle sweetness that makes you just pine for more.

M: On the lighter side of medium, zippy carbonation, acidic from start to finish.

D: Uber, I am in love with this beer. Crazy good. To call it world class is an understatement.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

On tap at Churchill's.

Pours a blood red. Like a bright marichino cherry red. A slight ring of head but beautiful color. No lacing.

Aroma is of super sourness but with a cherry sweetness. Lots of cherry aroma.

Tastes like red poppy but a little more sour and thinner/dry. Very tasty. Lots of tart cherries.

Mouthfeel is thin and mouth puckering.

Overall a damn tasty beer. Glad I could try it.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Fair warning on this one, upon uncorking this bottle a geyser shot up around a foot high out of the bottle. As quickly as possible, a glass was poured, after that it was still gushing out the top of the bottle, so another glass was filled. This is the worst gusher I have ever seen, with a significant portion of the beer ending up on the table.

What ended up in my glass was cloudy and blood red with a pink lightish head. The aroma is intense with raspberries, sour acid, lemons, and some nail polish. The beer tastes bracingly sour, one of the most sour bottles I have ever had, much more sour than the versions I tried at the brewery. Sour raspberries and lemon juice made up most of the delicious qualities, with a very dry puckering finish. This would have been a great beer, but there is some nail polish in there tainting an otherwise robust wonderful flavor. Medium bodied with a prickly yet creamy high carbonation. Tastes very good, the crazy sourness is oddly appealing, but the nail polish and acid burn drags it down. This was so close to being an A+ but a couple flaws keep it closer to an A-.

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Jacob for bringing this one to a tasting this past weekend.

A: The cork popped and this one was one of the worst gushers I've ever seen (beer all over the table). Once we got it into glasses, the pour was a hazy pink, almost red grapefruit color with a fluffy pinkish head.

S: The nose on this beer is fantastically sour and fruity. A lot of orange, raspberry, and grapefruit notes come through very strongly. There is a touch of vinegar but also quite a bit of lactic tartness as well. The funkiness is a bit subdued, with perhaps a touch of must.

T: The tart fruit flavors of raspberry and grapefruit are very powerful on the palate as well. The vinegar is a bit more noticeable but not to the point of hole burning. There is also a touch of grapes which works nicely with the other fruits.

M: The body is a touch light for me, but the intense carbonation really works well here and actually makes the beer seem a bit fuller on the tongue.

D: Despite the high levels of acidity, I found myself really enjoying this beer. The fruit qualities of this beer are exceptional and really made me want to drink more.

2.72/5  rDev -38%

Many thanks to largadeer for sharing this at ipa247's recent tasting. Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a candy grapefruit pink body with a very short-lived head that vanishes into nothing. It's totally opaque; the glow and color are very captivating.

S: Horse blanket, urine, burnt rubber. Almost as an afterthought, raspberries. Regarding the burnt rubber, I was the only person in the entire house who smelled it; it reminded me exactly of what happens when my vacuum cleaner gets stuck on a rug and chews up the belt, or when a car peels out in traffic. Maybe something is wrong with my nose, but I had a visceral dislike for this scent immediately. EDIT: I have since smelled this aroma in other beers, and have been informed that this is cat piss. So, it's cat piss, not burnt rubber. YUM!

T: Tart raspberries, juicy grapefruit, cherries (?), urine (kind of that post-asparagus pee sensation) horse blanket. Possibly some white wine in there. A dry, tannic, and especially vinegary finish -- TOO acetic for my tastes. It practically burned a hole in my stomach. It didn't destroy the other flavors, but it certainly made it tough to enjoy them.

M: This is very dry, even burning in the throat with vinegar. Kind of unpleasant, actually. Very low carbonation.

D: To be honest, I liked this least among the sour lineup of the tasting -- and, in retrospect, against nearly every other American Wild Ale I've tried. I like the raspberry flavor, but it was so intensely acetic that it caused me physical discomfort. I don't have a strong interest in trying it again. Different strokes.

EDIT: largadeer tried this bottle and felt it was a letdown against other ones. Just the same, this was my only experience, and it was awful. No, thank you.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Huge thanks to Chris(largadeer) for breaking this out at our sour tasting.

Pours a dark cherry/ruby color with hints of grapefruit and blood orange. Frothy, creamy slightly pinkish head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Gorgeous looking beer!

Sweet earthy funk aroma with lots of dry brett and funky bugs. Very vinous with a prominent citrus fruit character. Lots of juicy grapefruit bursting through and a very strong earthy oaky tannis presence.

Insansely sour with an incredibly tart puckering mouthfeel. This is the most sour beer I've ever encountered. Very acidic and esophagus burning. Lots of oaky tannis and delicious acidic citrus fruit. Fresh grapefruit comes bursting through. Very vinegary and a bit harsh but there is a delcious lingering tart aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another sip.

4.52/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to Sean9869 for bringing this one over to share. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Gusher alert! (Insert Lost Abbey carbonation joke here) Thankfully I was ready for this one - took all three glasses before this one settled down. My initial pour was full or red-brown floaties and was significantly darker than all the other glasses. My second pour, which is what I used for the rating, had a finger of quick-dissolving soda-like foam and left no lacing and settling to a thin ring of bubbles with some light haziness. The body had murky orange-red color and there were raspberry seeds at the bottom of my glass. Not as attractive as Sangre del Cristo for whatever reason.

S - Very sour and tart, with a little bit of horsey funk. Red wine, vinegar, and a ton of unripe raspberries. The raspberry character was a bit reminiscent of Gargamel, but this was far more sour/tart and lacked much of the pale malt/graham cracker element.

T - The taste is actually more complex than the smell - with a some tangerine citrus and red wine grapes in addition to the aforementioned raspberry overload. The acetic acid is intense, but never strays into stomach-melting territory. Well hidden alcohol.

M - This is spot-on for an American Wild Ale. Some light soft carbonation to tickle the upper lip, then a medium body capable of supporting the depth of flavor and ABV, followed by some puckering tartness and a dry cottonmouth finish.

D - The intense acetic acid and high ABV are the only thing stopping this from being perfect. I was very sad when I discovered the bottle was empty - the 8oz or so that I got left me craving more. Delicious, and an improvement, albeit slight, on the Sangre version.

4.55/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with Alex (Masterski) at his place to celebrate my moving to Chicago! Glad to be up here with so many awesome BAs. Poured from 750ml bottle into Bell's snifter/tulip.

Veritas 006 is Lost Abbey's Sangria with the addition of Angel's Share aged on Cabernet Franc grapes. The original Sangria had some Funky Duck in there with tangerines, sour Avant Garde, and not sure what else.

A - Super-gusher alert! Well, besides filling Alex's glass with tons of uber-funky foam, my pour is quite nice. A pinkish/reddish color with a white fizzy head. There's a thin white cap and along with a ring around the edge of the glass.

S - This one smells sweet but you can't not notice the funk that is right behind it. Sweet raspberries, sour/tart notes, lots of funk, barnyard. Really, a nice mix of funk and raspberries. I can taste the Funky Duck but not so much the tangerines...I think the raspberries overwhelm any fruit notes.

T - Very similar to the nose, but more funk! Sweet raspberries, a nice funk/sour/tart, barnyard, horse blanket. It's great when a beer smells so damn good and then it tastes exactly the same, we have a winner here!

M - Light bodied, fizzy carbonation, crisp/dry finish. Similar to the 004 in for the style. I just want to hold the liquid in my mouth forever but there's too many other good beers to drink!

D - Just an awesome sour! Tomme once again does it again. Not as good as 004 but better then 003.

Edit: Tried this again 10/09/10 and it was just awesome. The raspberries were so pronounced and it's gotten ever better after several months of cellaring.

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Many thanks to a great trader for this one. I felt exceptionally lucky popping the cork to enjoy this one by the fire.

Appearance: Quite cloudy, nice pink head, deep ruby burgundy sangria color. Bit of a gusher.

Smell: Wow, enormous. Incredibly sour, raspberries, red grapes, and other ripe fruits. Some funk, vinegar, and french oak, and definitely a bit of red poppy.

Taste: Immensely sour, this is a combination of the sour from veritas 003 and 004 with the flavor of 001 and 002. Great combination. Once again the cherries, red grapes, raspberries, merlot, funk, vinegar, and french oak. Probably the most sour Lost Abbey beer I have tasted, although they started in that direction with DDG.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated, they always get it right for this series.

Drinkability: Near-perfect.

*NB, I much prefer this one to Veritas 003 and 004, harkens back to 001 and 002 which were my favorites, although this one is much more sour than those earlier offerings. This continues to be one of Lost Abbey's best offerings, sadly the other, regular offerings to not live up.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

I felt exceptionally lucky to be able to open this one up on xmas eve and sit by the fire and enjoy it. Served at fifty five degrees and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 12/24/2009.

The pour was nice, dark pinkish color coming out of the bottle really set it apart right away. Very cloudy with a small, light pink, almost white colored head on top of it that fluttered out and only left minimal lacing. After about two minutes we ended up with what looked like a cloudy koolaid.

Then I went in for a whiff and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Huge notes of cherry right up front, raspberries, sour apples, just rich and ripe with fruit. Very few beers bring this thick, sour, funk, fruit mash up to your face, and here we have it again. Light spicey notes coming up as it warms now as well. Flawless flavor here, seriously just could not get enough of this, has to be some red poppy in here as it has that richness of the tart cherries that I love but with more hints of apples and raspberries thrown in as well. Smooth, velvety carbonation prickles the tongue as you take each sip. Really just enchanting. No hint of the ABV at all, I could have drank this forever and indeed the bottle was gone before I knew what to do.

Overall this was extremely solid. Just a pleasure of a beer. Lost Abbey has taken some hits lately, but this is what I expect from them and the reason they are held to such high standards. This was really in a class of its own.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow, now here's one that I never thought I would get to try. A million thanks to Mikey for the chance, what a great way to kick off a tasting. From notes during the Rush Hour Tasting.

Pours a hazy pinkish ruby color with whispy white peach colored head that doesn't stand very tall. Leaves some abstract lacing but little to no retention.

At colder temperatures, this beer was extremely juicy with fruits galore. Raspberries, Blackberries, Cherries and soft oak. Acetic Acid and a dash of red wine vinegar. Vinous. I was surprised at the lack of funkiness. As it warmed however, I got a solid underlying mustiness that really rounded out the profile.

In the flavor, this juicy profile follows with a myriad of fruits and a moderate acidity. Somehow I was expecting it to be more tart, but that's not to say that it isn't sour. Nice balance between the funkiness and juicy over-ripened fruit once it reached higher temperatures, leading to a bone-dry finish.

The 006 had a prickly carbonation initially, which I actually found to be a bit too high. After a few swirls of the glass and knocking some of the carbonation out, I actually enjoyed this more. It allowed more of the funkiness to balance out the sharp acidity which helped to round out the beer. Drinkability is high, but I'm forcing myself to drink it slow and savor because it's one I know I won't be having again.

This is a great beer and my first venture into the Veritas series, I hope it's not the last.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Yet another one of my reviews that got lost in the recent crash so it wont be as long as it was.

A: Pinkish read and very cloudy. Had a good amount of carbonation around that held pretty well.

S: Lots of fruitiness in this one, all of which were on the tart side. Orange, lemon cherries, raspberries and a mild hint of mustiness and brett.

T: Again heavy one the fruity side with tart lemon, orange cherries, watermelon, tangerine. Also had some notes of green apple sourness. There is just enough sweetness in there and while not brett centric, very nicely sour without being vinegary. The entire time i was drinking it it reminded me of pink lemonade.

M: Very acidic and slighly rough around the edges.

D: This was my first experience in the veritas series and damn was it awesome. I wish my original review had not been deleted but oh well. this was a great beer for sure

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Another White Wale from our epic Rush Hour Tasting I. Also thanks to Mikey711 for cracking this one.

A: Bright red almost glowing with a funky look. Lots of carbonation but not really any head as it all pops quickly. Very hazy as well.

N: Nose has a sour fruity grape raspberry with some oak. Super sour fruit really starts to come through, like sour patch kids in aroma form. The oak and slight vanilla almost quality adds a nice roundedness to it. A very slight yeasty aroma fizzles out, but its so faint you can't really tell.

T: Wow, so delicious. Citrus and sour fruit come out right away. Not as sour as I expected from the nose. Lots of orange, grapefruit, grapes, sour cherry, sour green apple, and some raspberry round off the fruit department. This is followed closely with some oak smoothness. It's semi tart but not overbearing. As it warms a musty concord grape like taste seems to come out a bit. There isn't much to be said for funkiness, its just a delicious slightly sour fruit, bubbles, and some oak. It's also very crisp yet smooth at the same time.

M: Tons of bubbles, crisp flavors, slightly tart, and juicy. Also adds slight acidity that adds a somewhat pleasant but very light sting.

F: Finishes semi dry with lots of bubbles helping the drinkability of it quite a bit. It really is like the champagne of beers. The slightly sour tart fruit seems to hang a bit to give you a nice finish, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The reminder of the nice grapefruit and sour apple do seem to cling for a little while longer as well so you can continue to enjoy it. This beer is so good and drinkable its very hard not to just sip away too quickly.

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%

From an awesome tasting.. Rush Hour Tasting, v. 1. Big ups to Mikey711 for cracking this one.

Poured into a Chouffe tulip. (thanks, ineedabeerhere)

A- Pink, rosy, mild carbonation. Beer is almost shimmering, spectacular coloration.

S- Sour... tart, wild cherries, almost unripe cherries, actually. Vinegar is apparant in the nose and is oh-so appealing.

T- Again, sour, tart cherries. A bit of fruitiness that goes beyond cherries, but I can't quite place it. This beer is mouth-puckeringly good. I get crisp, granny smith apples and some red grapes as well.

M- Crisp beyond belief.. mouth-puckering, incredible mouthfeel, also more carbonated then the initial pour let on. Honestly one of the best-feeling beers I've ever tasted, bubbles in the mouth, which is a great contrast to the sour and tart awesomeness. No sign of the ABV, so I'm bumping to 5.

D- Well... moderate, all things considered. I doubt I'll ever see this one again. But if I had access to it, it would be consumed in great quantities. It is really really an amazing beer. Too pricey and too rare to be anything more than a rare treat... but damn if I've been this impressed with a beer in a while. Greatness in a bottle.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Well, this is the only Veritas I've had to this point, and now I've had it twice. Ticker's worst nightmare, I know. Entering a second review, this time out of the bottle. largadeer supplied this rare treat for a tasting - thanks, Chris!

Gusher alert! The typical question came up before we opened this bottle: Would it be carbonated? Looks like Tomme wanted to show people that he had the ability to carbonate a beer. A volcano of foam exploded out of this bottle - the very antithesis of opening a bottle of Angels Share. The beer poured deep bright red, somewhat cloudy, with a white head that disappeared before too long.

Aroma is raspberry, cherry, and acetic acid. Sweet, tart, and vinegary, with just a hint of solventy notes..

Flavor is mostly tart with some sweetness to balance. Tart, funky raspberry and cherry along with vinegar/acetic flavors. Had this right after 3F Hommage, and while it fell just a bit short of that, it was still very good.

Medium body with a really lively mouthfeel. Lots of prickly carbonation. Long biting tart finish. Good drinkability.

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event. Served in a snifter.

Pours a deep rosy amber, with a thin covering of fizzy off-white head. Retains with some foam around the edges and light wisps in the center, leaving back some sparse lacing. The aroma is fruity and tart in the nose, with notes of cherries, raspberries, apples, and grapes. There is a bit of a funky and souring vinegar feel in the background but it doesn't get distracting. I'm getting a touch of candied sweetness and vanilla as well, which evens things up a tad. Very nice overall balance here to the nose, with vinous and oaky character giving this a certain amount of slickness in the nostrils.

The taste luckily has a lot of that juicy fruit character going on with it as well, which comes off as equal parts tart and sweet. The tartness comes off as only lightly acidic and never really becomes overly souring. There is lot of barrel character towards the back of the profile, with deep woody tannic dryness emerging. I'm really glad to see that the fruit flavors stay at the forefront here, as they really do make this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a lighter feeling creaminess to it that then gives way to a more slicker and oily vinous presence. Pretty darn drinkable for a 8% Wild Ale as well but nothing overly earthshattering to the drinkibility.

Tart, funky, and heavy on the fruit character, this was another complex, yet well balanced winner of a Wild Ale from the Lost Abbey. The only other Veritas blend I've had besides this one was the 004 (which was also excellent) and me thinks that I need to make more of an effort to track future releases down.

Veritas 006 from The Lost Abbey