Deliverance | The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Cue the banjos...A blend of Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout and Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine. One of our highest and most sought after non sour aged releases.

Added by drummstikk on 08-09-2010

#536

Ratings: 1,988 |  Reviews: 450

375ml cork and caged bottle. 2014 vintage. Served in a snifter glass. Dark black body, slight cola brown hue, one finger white head, good retention with no lacing. Smell is bourbon and brandy, which seem to have coalesced well. Light sweet candied sugar, dark fruit, toasted grains, touch of chocolate. Pretty much your standard strong ale with a fair bit of barrel. Flavour is similar and follows the nose. It's coalesced quite well, in my opinion. A bit hot still, with a good mouthfeel and body, low on carbonation.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Gandhi-Bot snifter. Dark chocolate body with about a finger of mocha-colored head. Seemed a little thin on the pour, but still pretty good eye candy.

Some nice boozy notes in the nose. I suppose I'm getting a bit of apple, caramel, and raisin from the brandy barrel aging. Otherwise, some milk chocolate in there too. I enjoy how this smells.

Strong booziness. I think this beer would benefit from aging. I like big, boozy beers; but the booze here has overpowered the flavors the smell is teasing me with. As it warms, I do pick up some chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thinner than I'd like for a barrel-aged brew. I wish this were thicker and more syrupy.

This is pretty good. In the future, I think I'd like to buy one to age. You know, when I feel like spending $17 on a small beer again.

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey