Deliverance | The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.

Added by drummstikk on 08-09-2010

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12.7 oz bottle courtesy of thrillainmanilla. Thanks again Eric!

A - I've read a lot of reviews for this beer, and I was a little scared that I would get one of the dreaded "uncarbonated" bottles. Luckily, the cork gave me a satisfying pop and the beer collects a little fizz on the periphery as it enters the glass. The beer itself is dark brown, settling black in the glass. No foam whatsoever.

S - the first thing I get is a whiff of bourbon, followed by the stout base, followed by some of the sweetness from the barrel character. I poured it pretty cold, and it initially smelled like a booze bomb, but as it warms up the sharpness dissipates. The richness I expect isn't terribly evident in the smell. Fruit: apples, raisins, and caramely dates.

T - the first thing I get is heat from the booze. It burns the tongue almost immediately. Following that, it's mostly the barrels I detect. The bourbon and brandy work nicely together, but both are secondary to the alcohol. I don't get Angel's Share at all, only Serpent Stout, and that only slightly. The only thing I would call "substantive" in the taste is the tartness that comes from the roast.

M - like I said, the booze is overwhelming. My tongue burns as I drink. The alcohol almost entirely overwhelms the sweetness, which is the other lingering taste at the finish.

O - I'm not a big fan of this beer. It's too expensive, and the barrels play too big a roll. The alcohol dominates and depletes any of the substance of the base beers. That being said, however, I'm super glad I finally got to try it.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12.7oz bottle poured into a snifter.
A - A very dark pour with a medium brown head. The head lasted on briefly, leaving no lacing. It is fairly viscous, though, and leaves a thick coating with fingers on the glass when tipped.
S - Bourbon, vanilla, malt and chocolate. Smells heavenly!
T - Very smooth and balanced. Bourbon and chocolate malts up front with balanced hops and a little bite of alcohol on the finish.
M - Above average mouth coating with a moderate level of carbonation.
O - A very well integrated strong ale. The 12.5% abv is only apparent on the finish. Everything is very well balanced. Highly recommended.

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey