Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Deliverance | The Lost Abbey

YOUR RATING = None |
DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.

Added by drummstikk on 08-09-2010

Reviews: 432 | Ratings: 1,904
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks a lot to mikesgroove for this brew. Poured at fridge temp

12.7oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black as black can be with a nice khaki 1 finger head that dissipates immediately other than a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing left on the glass but some serious legs.

S- Strong booze and bourbon up front with a nice sweet vanilla and wood in the background. Definitely some dark fruits like raisins and dark chocolate in there as well.

T- Sweet dark roasted malts create a nice creamy thicker body with a blend of dark fruits and chocolate. Beyond that is a serious bourbon profile that creates quite an alcohol fullness and sting on the back of the palate. Plenty of wood present, Oak and vanilla.

M- Full bodied with lower carbonation and a strong alcohol finish that warms you up.

Overall this is a really great and complex brew but even being a serious bourbon aged fan the alcohol in this one is pretty serious and hard to get used to. Sticks out more than I would like.

SkÅL!

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Black beer that foamed up a small brown head that quickly dissipated and only left some spots on the side during the drink.

S - This is a little bit on the boozy side with some oak and dark fruit. Smells a little too bourbony for my liking, but okay.

T - Taste is surprisingly really good, somehow the combination of two pretty good beers makes one really great beer. Great vanilla with mild oak, nice bourbon sweetened by brandy, some dark fruit, really great mixture of beers that goes down easy and hides the alcohol.

M - Full bodied and smooth, low carbonation, but not flat.

D - Highly drinkable for 12.5%, great stuff, would love to drink again.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Finally getting around to reviewing this; my second bottle. Poured into the ol' trusy shaker glass a dark brown/black with very little head. Decent carbonation with aroma of booze/alcohol and malt. Taste was chocolate and bourbon with a little bit of sourness (maybe it's the booziness?). Definitely glad I have a couple more bottle of this one.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smooth roasted malts with decent amounts of dark chocolate aromas. Also present are solid amounts of butterscotch and lighter hints of vanilla.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the booze comes out a bit more. Smooth roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by semi-sweet chocolate flavors. Midway through the sip large amounts of vanilla flavors work their way into things along with milder amounts of butterscotch flavors. Moderate amounts of boozy heat temper the barrel flavors and carry through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's a bit on the thin side with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall this was one of the thinnest BA beers I've had in a while. The flavors were all there but just weren't substantial enough to stand up to the barrel influences. Still, it's worth a shot to see for yourself.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

12.7oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown-black with a reddish tinge. Big fizzy chocolate head.

S: Nice barrel-forward aroma. Vanilla, bourbon, big caramel, raisin, chocolate. Sweet alcohol heat and a bit of sugary grape (the brandy?).

T: Burnt caramel, dark roast and a bit of tannic bitterness. Vanilla, big booze, heavy bourbon and oak. Dark fruits come out as it warms.

M: Medium-bodied, slight fizzy carbonation, bit of an alcoholic bite.

O: I can definitely taste both the Angel's Share and Serpent's Stout, so the blend is pretty competent. The barrel character is quite good but the heavy wood has thinned the beer out a bit. Overall a very good blend, but not the tastiest BA strong ale out there.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a dark chestnut brown with a tan head. Small amounts of lacing, but certainly respectable for a beer of this heft. Smell brings a lot, with brandy, bourbon, roasted malt, alcohol, dark fruits, and candied sugars all playing a role. Taste is quite similar, although everything isn't quite as integrated in that respect, and the alcohol heat plays a bigger role, which degrades a bit from the mouthfeel. Drinkability is very nice, as this is quite complex. I think age will absolutely do wonders to this one.

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours black with a thin head. Smells boozy, bourbon,vanilla. Taste is over the top boozy,brandy and bourbon. Don't taste much of the beer. Overall, good if you like bourbon and or brandy, I wish more of the beer came through.

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this at the Tomme Arthur Tap Take-over at the Armsbey Abbey in Worcester, MA on 11/03/10.

Appearance:
Brownish-black in color with a deeply tan, thick head. Looks luscious.

Aroma:
Booziness wafts out of this one. Dark fruits and raisins come to mind. Rich nose here.

Taste:
Rich flavor here that plays in the roasted malt, dark fruit, and rum-soaked raisin sandboxes. Great taste and melding.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability:
Heat keeps the linger going on this one, but the mouthfeel is pretty slick and not cloying. I think this is a great night cap or dessert beer. Not one to drink a lot of by any means.

Overall:
I liked this beer a lot, but may only come back to it when looking for a good dessert pairing. I imagine this would be awesome with bread pudding. With the hefty price tag I saw on this one, I'm glad I was able to sample it at an event.

33 Beers Flavor Chart (5 high to 1 low):
Astringent: 1
Body: 4
Linger: 3

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Big thanks to billshmeinke for this!

Pours a wet, murky brown with a thin head... in LA terms, that head may as well be 5 inches!

Lots of bourbon in the smell. Oak, vanilla, sugars and red grapes.

Being a blend of BA Serpent's and Brandy AS, the AS is the bigger brother. I get much more of that in the taste. The Serpent's sweetness is not to be outshined however. There's more chocolate and vanilla up front. Sweet caramel and brown sugar on the back end. This is a solid blend!

Very creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation. But in LA terms...

I have a feeling this will be tremendous in 8-12 months. Right now, it's a little hot. Once this settles down and the boozy sweetness mellows, we could have a contender for best LA beer I've tried.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Very dark with a light mocha colored head. No real lacing

S- Smells boozy and bourbony. notes of chocolate and coffee come through. I also pick up some caramel and dark fruit.

T- Nice and smooth, tastes primarily like chocolate. The bourbon and coffee notes come in through the aftertaste. Creamy with some date type flavor. Some smokiness/oakiness too.

M- Very nice and smooth intially, but warms up. The aftertaste is strong and boozy.

D- Pretty drinkable, but needs some more time to mellow out. It's getting there, and has the makings of a great beer in the future.

-Gfunk

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I wanted something special for my 400th review. While this was not exactly a whale, I had never tried it and it's been sitting in my cellar for several months. I would like to thank my buddy Blake for bring this one (along with countless other Russian River and Lost Abbey brews) back for me on his many treks to Philly!

Poured into a snifter from a corked and caged 12.7 oz. bottle. It took me nearly two hours to finish this one and I consumed it while I was watching a movie with my wife. Obviously, the movie didn't interest me as much as the beer.

A: Poured a dark, dark melted chocolate brown (almost black with a full glass), with little to no head. However, the few bubbles that the hard pour did produced stuck around for a good bit.

S: I didn't get much brandy, but I sure got a heck of a lot of bourbon. The dark fruit assault consisted of raisons, figs, and most definitely prunes.

T: To my palate, whenever something is bourbon barrel-aged and it's not a stout, I don't get the roasted pecan quality that bourbon, chocolate, coffee, dark malts, etc. stouts contain. The bourbon is actually VERY transparent here (in this "American Strong Ale"). It's like a prune and raison concoction with about a stick (or even two!) of melted butter.

M: Just carbonated enough for me to detect a subtle prickle, letting me know that this was indeed.... a beer! There was basically little to no lacing left on the glass, but that was a good thing in that the sweet elements didn't linger either... very disciplined, organic, fruity sweetness.

O: I really need to drink more beers in the fashion in which I just sessioned this one. I took my time, had a fresh palate, and was able to really dig in.

A lot of things have been said about Lost Abbey's carbonation issues (or lack thereof). To be honest, I've had many Lost Abbey brews in the last year and have yet to be offended carbonation-wise. I dig most of their stuff in general.

Was this worth the high price tag? I think it was.... especially considering the fact that they had to give up space to age this stuff over time. Also, the two + hours it took me to finish the beer put the price breakdown into perspective.

I'm glad this beer exists and had an enjoyable session with it.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours deep black with some mocha head settling into some swirls. Cork didn't pop, but wasn't totally devoid of carbonation.

Aroma features lots of notes from the booze. Spicy whiskey, some rum and liquor soaked raisins. A bit of chocolate and some other dark fruit as well as figs and dates. A touch of caramel and vanilla with a bit of oak influence.

A bit maltier flavor than the nose would lead me to believe although still notes of barrel. The spicy whiskey gives it a nice burn to balance out the sweet chocolate and dark fruits. Molasses and black licorice appear as well.

Alcohol is present and gives a nice little kick, but is not overpowering of the base. Mouthfeel is a touch too thin for my spirit aged preference and although it's not totally lacking carbonation, it's still a bit too low in that category.

Very complex flavors to this beer and very enjoyable. If the mouthfeel were more spot on this would be almost perfect. As it is, it's still a great beer, but could be something even more.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Appears a near black with a thick, off white head that slowly fades into a chunky cap. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, vanilla, oak, coffee, cocoa, bourbon, toasted nuts, brown sugar, and molasses.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a caramel, vanilla, and a hot brandy flavor that just seems a tad odd with a hint of astringency. Complex but a bit clustered.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, warming, creamy, and a tad thin in the finish.
Not bad but certainly not my favorite Lost Abbey beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Black With an airy brown head which didn't stick around for long.

S: The nose brought alcohol, Leather, tobacco, and maybe a little dried dark fruit. Almost like a Cabernet.

M: Medium body with lots of alcohol burn, slightly syrupy.

T: Tastes of deep Bourbon Oak comes through with a chocolate fudge/ vanilla sweetness only to be balanced by a pleasant bitterness. Also a slight roast is accompanied by some nuttiness/ sherry qualities which I am assuming come from the Brandy casks. Coffee and heat from the alcohol are present as well.

O: Overall this was a solid, complex brew. The mix of the two styles and two barrels mixed well. Would like to try the two separate now. Also would have like to age it for awhile to see if some of the alcohol would have settled but it wasn't my brew to crack. So thanks Wyatt and Ocean!

Poured into a snifter.

A - pretty damn awesome! Black as night, like a stout, but with a much thinner consistency. Also a nice tan head on top for a few moments.

S - bourbon, brandy, oak, vanilla, burnt sugar, espresso.

T - same as the nose, but there's definitely a sweet taste to it, which I'm assuming is from the brandy.

M - nice carbonation, a good array of flavors, but a little sweet and hot still.

D - I should've let this one sit for a while, but it was my first and I always like trying one fresh before I age it. Angel's Share bourbon is one of my all time favorite brews and I guess I was kinda expecting Deliverance to be like it, but it's not quite on the same level. Definitely delicious, but the heat from this one is much more pronounced and a little unpleasant when compared to that of a fresh Angel's Share.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle. Corks pops off with a nice little pop, hoping this one is carbonated. Poured into a duvel tulip glass a dark brown almost black color wih a slight tan head. Nice aroma of bourbon in the nose, I really don't get the brandy at all but that's ok. Vanilla, dark roast, chocolate, and booze rounds out the rest of the nose. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Very rich flavors! A mix of lots of flavors; dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, booze, and black licorice in the flavors. Really nice. A sipper for sure. Alcohol warms the body while drinking this one.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml cork and caged bottle... this cork is damn hard to get out of here! I slipped it out seconds before reaching for the wine key... maybe this really is a brewery for wine drinkers?

It pours a thick, dark, almost viscous deep dark brown (almost black). A straight pour to the center of the glass yields a 1 cm head in my lost abbey tulip glass, which looks like the tan-ish colored foam on a coca-cola and sounds like rice crispies cereal (gotta love the snap, crackle, and pop!) quickly dissipates to a thin ring of bubbles around the rim of the glass. I would say I am scared of the likelihood of no carbonation, but I have poured many o' angel's share that yielded no bubbles outside of the larger sized collision bubbles when pouring aggressively... so alas, is there hope?

It smells quite nice as well. Although, I will admit the alcohol is very apparent in the nose, and that scares me a bit. The nose is like a medley of fresh dark berries that have been simmering in a bourbon spiked dark chocolate fondue. A rigorous swirl of the glass brings some small bubbles to the head and releases some more familiar aromatics of oak and bourbon, and more alcohol.

And so, I take the leap of faith and swallow my first sip of this beer...

Hmm, this beer is pretty good. It is VERY rich, and there is A LOT going on here. Let's see... We've got coco powder, dry oaky bourbon stout on the front. This beer starts out quite nice actually. I may be compartmentalizing this too simply, but if I had to venture a guess, I would say that is more of the Serpants Stout flavors being imparted here. There are some nice vanilla and mocha notes intertwined thoughout as well.

BUT...

Then this sharp sweet toffee/caramel/fruity blast that is too hot for my enjoyment. This, to me, tastes like a very fresh brandy angels share in its sharp, bright bite. Tasty still? Sure... but it certainly does knock down the drinkability. Another problem for me is that this sharp/hot/fruity flavor sticks around on the aftertaste. It has a really nice coating mouthfeel otherwise, and honestly, a perfect level of carbonation. The alcohol burn just clashes with me a little bit. (not to say I can't take it, its just too sweet/hot/sticky to be enjoyed.)

In the end, setting all my gripes with Lost Abbey aside, I think this is a great beer when looked at on the larger scale, but when comparing it to other small, specialty crafted, barrel aged beers... it does not quite deliver on the same level as comparable ones.

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

Some days just seem made for relaxing and absorbing oneself into a bottle. Granted, I'd prefer most days be like this, but life sometimes says, "Whoa big fella, take a break." Needless to say, I jacked life right in the beak this afternoon, popped the cork, and sat back to some prolonged sippage and a nice clear view of today's repetitively beautiful snowfall. Thanks go to Ryan for this opportunity.

Expelling the cork yields a thankful pop and we're underway.
Pours a very dark brown with tan bubbles that fight like hell to reach the edges and then rest comfortably along a thin wristband of coverage.

Rich bourbon all over the nose. Underlying brandy presence shows sweet and cleaves an alcohol laden swath across senses. Competition-wise, the bourbon presence is stronger, but the brandy seeps in as to not be forgotten. Vanilla pokes through at the end and the blending seems to have improved the sensory perception of the smell much more than my experience this summer with the Bourbon Angel's Share.

Bourbon soaked raisins, dark fruits, figs, and vanilla. Again, the sweeter brandy presence really emerges along the back as a reminder that there are two barrels fighting for your recognition. The oak from the barrels in faint at the finish but really emerges on the tongue and back of the throat in the aftertaste, though in no way is it overpowering.

Medium bodied and slick on the tongue with modest carbonation. Certainly a sipper and overall a nice beer, but there is something just on the periphery with these Lost Abbey beers that leaves me wanting just a bit more. Not sure if it's the beaten-to=death carbonation issues (though this beer is fine) or something a little less tangible.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

375ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Patron Sinner's tulip. Bottle provided by thedindaniel, thanks Daniel!

A - The beer opens with a small pop, loads better than the sound that came out after opening both versions of Angel's Share. It pours on the fringe of dark brown and black, much darker than typical Angel's Share but a shade lighter than Serpent's Stout. A 1.5-finger, khaki-colored head sits precariously on top, gradually collapsing upon itself until it is gone minutes later. The lacing is pretty good, much better than Angel's Share, with a nice lattice pattern smattering the glass.

S - The nose on this is big and boozy. Lots of bourbon and malt make up the front-end of this beer, giving a rather roasty and chocolate aroma. The alcohol is a bit astringent, and after letting it warm up a bit, there is a little bit of butterscotch as well.

T - After my first sip I almost recoiled as a response to sheer amount of flavor and alcohol in this. This beer certainly isn't shy about bringing the booze, and the bourbon and brandy kind of cancel each other out, or perhaps the brandy even overpowers the bourbon here until the finish, as I can't say I get any of the typical bourbon notes. After warming, the brandy shines even further, and it reminds me of how brandy Angel's Share SHOULD'VE tasted if it had a shred of carbonation. Not a lot of coffee here, but the roast lasts well throughout the beer as well as nice echoes of oak and vanilla in its wake. Sweet and alcoholic. Set aside a night for this one.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy-bodied with moderately low carbonation. Typically I'd say this is low carbonation, but given the reputation for Lost Abbey and the disaster that the two Angel's Shares I've had were, this is a welcome burst of bubbles. Long lasting finish and you'll be tasting this long after you are done!

D - Drinkability is moderately high. I HIGHLY recommend pouring this beer and letting it aerate and warm a little, as my first sip was like trying to taste four different things at once. Let it mellow and give it a few sips, as it certainly gets better the longer its in the glass (which won't be for long!)

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

375ml bottle into The Lost Abbey stemmed tulip.

A: Pours black with about an eighth of an inch dark brown head that quickly disappeared into a thin collar leaving just a dot or two of lace.
S: Sweet and spicy notes of raisins, caramel, warming bourbon/brandy, and oak barrel spices. Vanilla comes through strongly as well with just a hint of chocolate. Woody and alcoholic all around.
T: Big dose of vanilla and sweet dark fruits balance well with full and woody flavors of the barrels. Thick caramel, toffee, brown sugar and all kinds of sweetness come through in the finish along with a bit of roasted coconut, and the aftertaste is full of chocolate and bourbon/brandy. Flavors are sweet and buttery.
M: Thick body, chewy but thin mouthfeel, with very very low carbonation. Luckily this beer is thick and potent enough for the lack of bubbles not to be a major issue, but a few more bubbles would have made this beer feel less like a (delicious) syrup and more like a beer. Alcohol is very mellow at this point.
O: Rich and smooth flavors with a creamy mouthfeel. Needs more carbonation, but this had a great flavor.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

375ml bottle, picked up in trade awhile back. Poured into my Mother Earth snifter.

Pours a deep murky brown, almost black with a light tan collar of a head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring. Expected for such a high gravity brew, but it's not very good looking or inviting.

Aroma has a lot going on, sweet dark fruits, brown sugar, molasses and a substantial whiskey note. On the first whiff, I wasn't too impressed but as it warms, everything is coming together nicely.

The taste starts off sweet up front followed by brown sugar and molasses and some whiskey soaked dark fruits. Finishes surprisingly dry with a smokey whiskey aftertaste. The alcohol is present but nicely subdued.

Mouthfeel is thick but dry with just a hint of carbonation. Overall, this is an enjoyable sipper that does a nice job of bringing together the sweet dark fruits and strong whiskey flavors.

In a word, smooth. Pours black bodied with a small thick head. Pleasant and roasty aromas. Tasty stoutish and also strong dark stuff, with bourbon in distant secondary, which is a good thing.Caramel and chocolate, fruit and a tangy edge aids above average mouthfeel.

Thanks to Bill (portia99) for this one. Poured from a corked and caged 375ml. bottle into a Darkness snifter. And oh yeah... REVIEW 400!!!

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger mocha head... WAIT... this one's carbonated? and its from LA?!? OMG... its gonna be delicious!!! Even retention is pretty good. Beer is opaque black and thick like motor oil. Lacing is stringy and spotty with nice cling.

S: Nose is maple syrup, chocolate, and vanilla all wrapped up in booze. Very deep but also quite subtle. Smells like it looks... dark and mysterious.

T: Holy Sh!t, this is a big beer. Opens big bourbon sweetness. Nice heat in the back. Chocolate, maple syrup, brown sugar, sweet soy sauce, and dark fruit. Booziness actually becomes more prominent as this one lingers. Brandy and bourbon barrels come through nicely towards the middle and end. Vanilla and oak apparent at the finish. End is accented by a crescendo of sweetness and aftertaste is chocolate and maple syrup.

M: Full bodied. As full bodied as I've ever had. AND... m.o.d.e.r.a.t.l.y CARBONATED. Pretty hot, even for the high ABV. Oily and viscous in the mouth and goes down tingly. Finish is accented and aftertaste is sticky, oily, and lingers.

D: As my scores suggest, this is a good beer. Nothing too outrageous and honestly, a little too big for my liking but its very complex, with a nice mouthfeel and a decent nose. I'd definitely jump at the chance to have this again but would probably want to split a 375ml with another person. A sipper for sure, 6oz. is more than enough.

Bottle: Poured a dark cloudy brown color ale with a large foamy head with good carbonation and some lacing. Aroma consists of bourbon with residual sugar notes and caramelized sugars. Taste is also dominated by bourbon notes with some caramelized malt and quite a lot of residual sugars. Some dried fruits and light chocolate notes are also perceptible. Body is full with great carbonation and surprisingly no apparent alcohol. Nice nightcap style beer.

2012 Vintage to tulip glass.

A - Poured black with only a thin ring of light brown head around the edges of the glass.

S - Bourbon and oak up front along with a big roast aroma. The brandy is evident as well, along with some lighter vanilla and caramel aromas.

T - Carbonation is my worry and initially noticed that carbonation was very low, but still present enough to make this beer enjoyable, unlike some other experiences I have had with Lost Abbey beers. Bourbon, oak and vanilla flavours up front along with a big roast profile. Lighter caramel and toffee notes are present in the finish along with a hint of sweet brandy.

M - Medium body with a good chew. The carbonation is low but still present. Would like a little more carbonation, but still drinking well.

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey