Deliverance | The Lost Abbey

DeliveranceDeliverance

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.

Added by drummstikk on 08-09-2010

#501
Liked:
4.31/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,961 |  Reviews: 445
3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Boozy but very flavorful. Good thing it comes in a small bottle.

3.22/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A bit too strong alcoholic flavor

3.23/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Nanoslug. Thanks, Adam and Anna.

A: Pours a murky brown body with mocha-colored head; good retention, even a touch of legs. Ha ha! Bubbles in a Lost Abbey beer. It will always be funny. But seriously, for a nearly 13% beer, the appearance is good.

S: Wow, this is harsh. It's hot, in a solventy, rubbing alcohol way. That dominates the nose and makes it tough to sniff out the actual flavors, but what I do detect is nice: caramel, bourbon, port. It's quite barrelly on the nose; I can't pick out the base beers well. But it smells tasty.

T: Caramel, bourbon, grape, oak, chocolate. Some butter. And then a finish of rubbing alcohol. I think this would be a pretty amazing beer if it weren't for the heat. I'm told this is a blend of Bourbon Serpents Stout and Brandy Angel's Share, so it certainly has the pedigree to work. It's just too hot to pick out much.

M: Chewy, viscous... Solventy. It's very full in flavor, but the harshness works against it.

D: This might improve into an amazing beer, but right now it's outclassed by competitors as well as Tomme's own Angel's Share Grand Cru. I also think the Bourbon AS is better.

Also, I see what ZX6Chris did there.

3.26/5  rDev -24.4%

12.7 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery - which I love - and my experiences with both of the beers in this blend; I quite fancied each of them. I actually reviewed the Serpent's Stout just last night. I don't recall the cost. I purchased it somewhere in the Los Angeles area.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The cork didn't yield a satisfying pop, but rather a weak fartish sort of sound.

A: Pours a half finger floater of slight tan colour, okay thickness, no cream, and abysmal (four second) retention. Colour is a solid black. No yeast particles are visible. I fear undercarbonation.

Sm: Alcohol, bourbon, brandy, dark fruit (cherry methinks), dark malts, cream, and yeast. Bourbon and brandy are dominant to a massive degree. Caramelization. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Bourbon and brandy hit me first, and wildly throw off the balance. Caramelization, especially of the dark malt foundation comes through. Vague hints of dull chocolate. Hints of alcohol. A light wooden tone. This is a poor blend; either beer on its own tasted far better. The balance is just off. I'm curious as to the proportions of the blend. It's scattered, but still decent.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A touch thin. Slightly undercarbonated. Suits the flavour profile somewhat.

Dr: Pretty drinkable for the ABV, but the alcohol is noticeable. I wouldn't call it boozy. She's a sipper. Above all else, I think this beer's biggest flaw is putting its two constituent beers to waste. Each is better individually, and for that reason I can't recommend this one. It's pricey to boot. I wouldn't get it again. Maybe aging mellows it; I wouldn't mind trying one with a good four years on it. A huge disappointment from Lost Abbey.

Gets better as it warms up.

Low B-

3.27/5  rDev -24.1%

"Vintage 2011B" on the neck

Opens with a weak cork pop. Pours with no head and an oily sheen. Lots of roast in the aroma and light bourbon. Brandy takes over in the taste with grape notes combined with chocolate. Very boozy and moderately harsh alcohol. Balanced body with minimal carbonation. It's nice to have finally ticked this, but there's no way I'd pay $18 for it again.

3.29/5  rDev -23.7%

Good old sweemzander and his bottomless pockets busted this one out at one of our recent tastings. Another LA beers you couldn't beat me into paying for. Split into tulips.

A: Black as night, small mocha hued head, no real lace but some legs do form with swirling.

S: Well no real surprise here. Full on hot bourbon greets and burns my nostrils. Once past the flames you can pick up chocolate, coffee, play-doh and a trace of wet wood.

T: Thankfully the bourbon character is much more subdued than I was expecting. Plenty of roast malts, black coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits, wet barrel wood. All intertwined with the bourbon.

M: Full thick body. Very light if any carbonation.

O: The nose was a fireball but the flavor was much better. The beer as a whole though is simply nothing I would ever want again.

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

I give this a "3" because part of my problem with this brew is that it tastes more like a liquor rather than beer. Maybe not a fair judgment but if I want a liquor, I'll get a liquor. I don't care for saison's either cause they taste too much like soda. If I want a soda, I'll get a soda.

I like some strong ales...this isn't one of 'em. I couldn't even finish the glass I poured and I'm sorry about that. Big disappointment. :(

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Pretty close to black in color and a thin brown head on top that sticks nicely when swirled.

S - Explosive aroma! Bourbon, oak and vanilla are all strong, but the sweet, chocolaty smell is there, too. Alcohol is abundant, but pleasant.

T - Much of the same as in the nose, though maybe some dark fruit, too. The alcohol gets in the way of some of the flavors. Honestly, the flavors aren't meshing as well as they come through in the aroma.

M/D - Medium bodied, as the alcohol seems to thin this beer out a bit. Not much carbonation. Overall, an interesting attempt at blending and fairly enjoyable, but definitely not worth the price tag.

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a tulip.

Opening this bottle I had to practically use a set of pliers to get the cork out. It is easy to tell even before I opened it that there would be no carbonation in this bottle. When I finally got it open and poured it aggressively, my fears were confirmed. The beer has an onyx black color with just a few stray bubbles that happened to form from the beer sloshing around in the glass.

Rich chocolate cake, bourbon, and brandy are all strong in the nose. Vanilla, roasted malt, and a bit of alcohol come through as well.

The flavors are unfortunately flattened out by the lack of carbonation. Each sip starts with dark and sweet chocolate, sweet bourbon, and brandy, with vanilla and roasted malt adding some depth in the middle. The end has a little jolt of alcohol, and the rest of the flavors really fall off into a watery finish. Again, the lack of carbonation leads to problems.

The mouthfeel is disappointing, mostly because it is totally flat. The beer has the thickness and complexity to warrant a nice, thick, viscious, and creamy mouthfeel, and it comes up way short. Instead, it feels thick and syrupy.

I imagine this could be an incredible beer if it actually had carbonation in it. Lesson learned - do not spend money on flat Lost Abbey bottles.

3.36/5  rDev -22%

375ml bottle that I only bought because I found it for $11, I feel bad for anyone who paid $17 because this beer is way overpriced. Black color, a decent head, it was not completely flat! Aroma was a bit of booze and malt, meh. Flavor was barrel and grapes, I mostly tasted the angel's share because I kept thinking of cognac. Decent beer but ridiculously overpriced even at $11. Booo.

3.39/5  rDev -21.3%

375ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a deep black with dark ruby highlights and a vigorus pour barely yielded the smallest head and it quickly faded to a ring with a tiny bit of lacing. When I pulled the cork out there was no pop or anything and given Lost Abbey's reputation I wasn't that surprised.

S: The nose is very boozy, so much so it's pretty overpowering and distracting. I can pick out some dark chocolate, brandy soaked plumbs, and other dark fruits.

T: The taste is pretty good though which was a relief. Very complex with flavors of chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, and bourbon.

M: The feel is creamy and smooth but slightly thin...it does coat the mouth pretty well though. Carbonation is barely detectable in the feel.

D: Hard to be excited about this one given the carbonation issues and the odd aromas. It is tasty but until they fix their carbonation issues I won't be recommending their beers.

3.39/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Seemed to be a bit lacking compared to some of the other BBA beers I've had recently. I would have this again but wouldn't be upset if I didn't.

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a brownish, blackish, slushee mud color. Eh. Has a nice half an inch head initially, but this quickly settles down to a mere thin crust. Basically, little to no carbonation. Since it's 13% ... well ... I don't know. A few more bubbles would certainly help.

Smells predominantly of angel's share. Overwhelmingly so. Hot bourbon and alcohol and bourbon and caramel and alcohol and alcohol and alcohol notes. Could use more nuance.

Taste is a hot, solvent-y mess. Lots of caramel, tons of sweetness, maybe a bit of roastiness coming through, big bourbon ... maybe some lingering toffee and raisins/dates on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel, despite lack of carbonation, is decently thick and chewy.

The beer is just. too. hot. If something is uber compex you can get away with this much heat ... sometimes, but this is a pretty one-note sweet/bourbon blast of a beer. I think a lot of the nuances are being blasted into Bolivia.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head

smell: loaded coffee, and sublte chocolate aromas, heavy vanilla and bourbon

taste: was probably an amzing stout, but I hate over bourboned beers. way to much alcohol and took forever to drink, didnt even finish it.

mouthfeel: full bodied stout

drinkability: dissapointed, needs mroe balance between bourbon and beer.

3.45/5  rDev -20%

Thanks for sending this!

Pours nearly black with a small dark tannish foam initially, though subsequent pours weren't as lively. A very little bit of lace.

Aroma is just huge barrel impact. Boozy, intense bourbon, fudge, charred wood, sweet caramels. The taste as well is sweet, just huge barrel flavors here. Tons of caramel, darker cocoa robustness but no real bitter roasty edge. Boozy in the finish with a deep raisin note. The mouthfeel is actually pretty good, medium-full with a light carbonation to an appropriate level (gasp).

Really robust intense flavors here so if that is your thing go right ahead, but many might be turned off by the alcohol.

3.47/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Lost Abbey Deliverance 2010

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours black with dark brown along edges. Light brown head is restricted to a thin ring stuck to glass.

S:  Bourbon and chocolate milk, which probably results from synergy of chocolate and vanilla. Additional aromas include caramel, alcohol, dark fruits and powdered sugar.

T: Bourbon, caramel and malty sweetness lead off.  Alcohol is out in open.  Medium bitterness. Dark fruits appear to be more like red grapes and lend a vinous quality to taste. All that is left of the barrel-aged Serpent's Stout is a vague note of roasted malts.

M: Medium-heavy body and medium-light carbonation. Velvety mouthfeel with appropriate warming from alcohol.

O: Bourbon and alcohol dominate Deliverance, which is somewhat expected, given the big abv. I'm docking the beer for that. In fact, I'm probably be generous as it has dodged infection, so far.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Pours just shy of black with a half finger tall tan head that dissipates almost instantly to a thin ring of bubbles at the edge of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Aroma is dominated by the alcohol - there is also some sweetness/brown sugar and hints of vanilla and oak (which I associate with the bourbon barrels) present.

T: Flavors are also dominated by the alcohol - vanilla and oak (bourbon) flavors, malt sweetness, brown sugar, and hints of chocolate.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Definitely some heat in the finish from the alcohol.

O: Just too strong of an alcohol presence in this beer for it to be easily drinkable - this beer is one to sip over a fairly extended period of time. Too much heat for me but the flavors that do come through are quite pleasant.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%