Deliverance | The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.

Added by drummstikk on 08-09-2010

Reviews: 434 | Ratings: 1,915
4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Into a tulip, pours a brown head - mildly red in tinge - atop a dark black body. Not impenetrable though. Considering the ABV level, the head stays consistently thick throughout.

Aromas of brandy and biscuit, with just a little bit of bourbon. Deeper *whiffs* also yield mild figs and dates. Basically it’s like dipping cookie dough in a brandy barrel, and it’s freakin’ lovely.

Flavors of graham cracker, chocolate, bourbon, and brandy (in that order). Also some chocolate chip cookies and a bit of that biscuit from the bouquet. Despite a small degree of heat, this is smooth across the palate.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slightly silky.

Overall, starts off like a Double Stout with strong hints of bourbon and brandy and ends like an Angel’s Share with a copious quantity of dark chocolate malts. In short, yum, yum, yum. I could easily knock back three per sitting.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

New batch.

Pours with bubbles, hooray for Lost abbey! The head is a much darker brown around the edges than the middle, kind of weird. Black coffee colored with a very oily surface. It's got an impressive amount of lace for such a rotund beer.

The aroma is where it's at here. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean is the most notable feature, accompanied by dry oak, chocolate cake, rum and coconut. I want my house to smell like this.

This has that toasted caramel taste that I associate with really good Old Ales. Very well balanced, but on the sweeter side. When I first started drinking this, I thought "oh, easy, it tastes like Serpent Stout. Cool.". Now that it's warmed quite a bit, it's just like Angel's Share. I don't think I could tell which was which if you put them side by side. Unfortunately, the alcohol is too pronounced on the finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, a little drying after the jump.

I'd have to drink this next to both Angel's Share and Serpent's Stout to really know which was superior.

On an ANGRIER note, it really pisses me off that Lost Abbey puts a pseudo-intellectual-theological bullshit spiel on the back of their labels. It's a fucking BEER. How about telling me what's in the damn bottle and when it was brewed instead of a lame fairytale? I shouldn't have to do a google search to find out what I'm drinking. Minus 162 cool points.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I wanted something special for my 400th review. While this was not exactly a whale, I had never tried it and it's been sitting in my cellar for several months. I would like to thank my buddy Blake for bring this one (along with countless other Russian River and Lost Abbey brews) back for me on his many treks to Philly!

Poured into a snifter from a corked and caged 12.7 oz. bottle. It took me nearly two hours to finish this one and I consumed it while I was watching a movie with my wife. Obviously, the movie didn't interest me as much as the beer.

A: Poured a dark, dark melted chocolate brown (almost black with a full glass), with little to no head. However, the few bubbles that the hard pour did produced stuck around for a good bit.

S: I didn't get much brandy, but I sure got a heck of a lot of bourbon. The dark fruit assault consisted of raisons, figs, and most definitely prunes.

T: To my palate, whenever something is bourbon barrel-aged and it's not a stout, I don't get the roasted pecan quality that bourbon, chocolate, coffee, dark malts, etc. stouts contain. The bourbon is actually VERY transparent here (in this "American Strong Ale"). It's like a prune and raison concoction with about a stick (or even two!) of melted butter.

M: Just carbonated enough for me to detect a subtle prickle, letting me know that this was indeed.... a beer! There was basically little to no lacing left on the glass, but that was a good thing in that the sweet elements didn't linger either... very disciplined, organic, fruity sweetness.

O: I really need to drink more beers in the fashion in which I just sessioned this one. I took my time, had a fresh palate, and was able to really dig in.

A lot of things have been said about Lost Abbey's carbonation issues (or lack thereof). To be honest, I've had many Lost Abbey brews in the last year and have yet to be offended carbonation-wise. I dig most of their stuff in general.

Was this worth the high price tag? I think it was.... especially considering the fact that they had to give up space to age this stuff over time. Also, the two + hours it took me to finish the beer put the price breakdown into perspective.

I'm glad this beer exists and had an enjoyable session with it.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

375ml received as an extra in a recent trade with PALMEJ1. Thanks again Jacob!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a one finger light beige head that quickly settles into a thick lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing left behind.

Sweet boozy aroma with a strong barrel character giving off hints of boozy bourbon, earthy oak, vanilla, marshmallow and toasted coconut. Underneath there is some roasted malt with hints of oatmeal, dark chocolate, burnt toast and coffee bean. I'm not picking up much brandy and it's a bit booze heavy in the nose but it still smells pretty good.

Chewy full body that is pretty boozy with a nice balance of roasted malt, boozy bourbon and earthy oak. The barrel character is very prominent with a lot of dry, toasted oak balancing out the boozy sweetness. As the aroma suggests, there is more bourbon than brandy but I'm at least picking up some brandy flavor. Faint vanilla and coconut smooth things out a bit but this beer is still plenty boozy. Underneath, there is a roasted malt backbone that compliments the dry, toasted notes of the barrel very nicely. Hints of dark chocolate, oatmeal, toast and deep roasted coffee/espresso bean linger into a long dry finish. Although this beer is slightly hot with plenty of warmth in the finish, the ABV is relatively well masked and the complex flavors make it very quaffable.

Overall, this beer was a very pleasant surprise. A lot of Lost Abbey's big beers and non-sours have been very disappointing lately with all of the QC issues but this was a very good beer. Plenty of carbonation and not syrupy at all. I found it to be complex and very tasty. Recommended!

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a fairly thick pitch black color. Produced a thin layer of tan foam that dissipated to bubbles.

(S)- A rich brown sugar and dry oaky bready bourbon notes. Slightly sweet.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich with alot of caramel and brown sugar in this. Definitely has taken on some bourbon and oaky qualities.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. A decent balance. Very sweet and rich. Lots of bourbon-like aspects. A tad boozy.

(D)- A good strong ale. Sweet and rich, but definitely not worth the high price tag.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I must say I was extremely surprised and excited by this beer.

Pours black with ruby brown highlights when held up to light. Small tan head forms and leaves a little bit of lacing down the glass. Nice alcohol feet too.

Smell is of brown sugar, molasses, grapes, vanilla, oak, caramel, and alcohol. Wow sums it up but I was really not expecting this.

Opens up with grapes, vanilla, and bourbon, moves into the caramel and sugar territory, finishes with grapes sneaking up with bourbon and caramel. Rather sweet and warming, but not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel is full with a tinge of carbonation. Enough carbonation.

Overall, its damn good and damn surprising. Was not expecting this (had no idea what brandy was/is) but this is just awesome.

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

375ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Patron Sinner's tulip. Bottle provided by thedindaniel, thanks Daniel!

A - The beer opens with a small pop, loads better than the sound that came out after opening both versions of Angel's Share. It pours on the fringe of dark brown and black, much darker than typical Angel's Share but a shade lighter than Serpent's Stout. A 1.5-finger, khaki-colored head sits precariously on top, gradually collapsing upon itself until it is gone minutes later. The lacing is pretty good, much better than Angel's Share, with a nice lattice pattern smattering the glass.

S - The nose on this is big and boozy. Lots of bourbon and malt make up the front-end of this beer, giving a rather roasty and chocolate aroma. The alcohol is a bit astringent, and after letting it warm up a bit, there is a little bit of butterscotch as well.

T - After my first sip I almost recoiled as a response to sheer amount of flavor and alcohol in this. This beer certainly isn't shy about bringing the booze, and the bourbon and brandy kind of cancel each other out, or perhaps the brandy even overpowers the bourbon here until the finish, as I can't say I get any of the typical bourbon notes. After warming, the brandy shines even further, and it reminds me of how brandy Angel's Share SHOULD'VE tasted if it had a shred of carbonation. Not a lot of coffee here, but the roast lasts well throughout the beer as well as nice echoes of oak and vanilla in its wake. Sweet and alcoholic. Set aside a night for this one.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy-bodied with moderately low carbonation. Typically I'd say this is low carbonation, but given the reputation for Lost Abbey and the disaster that the two Angel's Shares I've had were, this is a welcome burst of bubbles. Long lasting finish and you'll be tasting this long after you are done!

D - Drinkability is moderately high. I HIGHLY recommend pouring this beer and letting it aerate and warm a little, as my first sip was like trying to taste four different things at once. Let it mellow and give it a few sips, as it certainly gets better the longer its in the glass (which won't be for long!)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a very dark brown with light at the edges. The head is small and short-lived turning into some bubbles in the center and a ring around the edge.

The smell is strong on bourbon and oak with dark fruits as well and, yes, there is vanilla. The aroma is nice and has a lot going on.

The taste is bourbon, vanilla and oak with a lot of warming alcohol. I like how the vanilla lingers in the aftertaste and for a while. Just as in the smell there is lots going on in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is on the thinner side but feels quite natural to be so. Has mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a fine, big, sipping beer that is very warming. This is too expensive to drink often though I wish I had a couple more to space out over time. One of the better LA beers that I've had.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Finally getting around to reviewing this; my second bottle. Poured into the ol' trusy shaker glass a dark brown/black with very little head. Decent carbonation with aroma of booze/alcohol and malt. Taste was chocolate and bourbon with a little bit of sourness (maybe it's the booziness?). Definitely glad I have a couple more bottle of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle poured into a Lost Abbey tulip. Pours a very dark brown that is verging on black. Nice to see some appropriate head from a Lost Abbey beer and this one looks pretty ideal

Smell is quite complex with an excellent presence of both bourbon and brandy with some oak, chocolate, vanilla, roast malt, caramel, toffee and everything else that is wonderful about these two blended adult beverages. Translates perfectly into the taste and I am already regretting not buying more of this when it was available. Mouthfeel is nice and thick with low, but fairly reasonable for the style. I wish I had another to drink after this one.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Obtained via the now defunct Sinner's Club at Lost Abbey. A nice arrangement. Sorry it is no more.

Appearance - A very mild head formed on the pour. Some tan residual ring but not much of a head. No matter for something of the pedigree. Poured a deep brown/black. Swirl this around and you get some nice retention. Appealing.

Smell - Big nose here. Some coconut, caramel and sweetness. A bit of the bourbon comes through here as well. Some oak as well, along with some anise and vanilla. A lot going on here.

Taste - Recommendation: Let this warm. This is not something you want to drink cold. Chilled is ok, but warm is sublime. So much going on here. Caramel comes through, some brandy warmth shows up quickly here. Some woody and vanilla as well. Not as sweet as I had expected. Crisp finish with a nice snap at the end. I'm guessing that is the a nice contribution from the Serpent Stout component.

Mouthfeel - Full and inviting. The carbonation leads the beer nicely around the mouth without being overbearing.

Overall - What a sipper. I would have liked a bit more of a sweetness in the middle, but otherwise a top-notch offering from a huge blend. Glad I have a few more. I'll be saving these to see how they last.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle. Corks pops off with a nice little pop, hoping this one is carbonated. Poured into a duvel tulip glass a dark brown almost black color wih a slight tan head. Nice aroma of bourbon in the nose, I really don't get the brandy at all but that's ok. Vanilla, dark roast, chocolate, and booze rounds out the rest of the nose. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Very rich flavors! A mix of lots of flavors; dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, booze, and black licorice in the flavors. Really nice. A sipper for sure. Alcohol warms the body while drinking this one.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks a lot to mikesgroove for this brew. Poured at fridge temp

12.7oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours black as black can be with a nice khaki 1 finger head that dissipates immediately other than a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing left on the glass but some serious legs.

S- Strong booze and bourbon up front with a nice sweet vanilla and wood in the background. Definitely some dark fruits like raisins and dark chocolate in there as well.

T- Sweet dark roasted malts create a nice creamy thicker body with a blend of dark fruits and chocolate. Beyond that is a serious bourbon profile that creates quite an alcohol fullness and sting on the back of the palate. Plenty of wood present, Oak and vanilla.

M- Full bodied with lower carbonation and a strong alcohol finish that warms you up.

Overall this is a really great and complex brew but even being a serious bourbon aged fan the alcohol in this one is pretty serious and hard to get used to. Sticks out more than I would like.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

A - Light pop when the cork is pulled. Pours jet black with little carbonation. Some lacing down the side of the tulip.

S - Booze, caramel, vanilla, bourbon, charred oak.

T - Hot booziness, indistinct at first and then opening to big bourbon vanilla. Sweet caramel with a touch of fruitiness. Some coconut and chocolate notes as the glass warms. Finishes as hot as it begins, warming the back of the throat.

M - Nice round medium mouthfeel. Heat makes the beer come across as less supple, but this is definitely one of the more pleasant aspects of the beer.

O - A solid, drinkable beer with nice complexity, despite the forwardness of the bourbon. I have another bottle that I think I'll sit on for another year, but I'm very happy to have opened this one. Cheers,

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Beer poured from bottle into Snifter glass

A - Beer pours with a dark brown, almost black in appearance body; has little carbonation and poured with no head; there was a little beige foam on the top but that was mostly form the weak amount of carbonation in the beer

S - Beer has a liquor, mostly bourbon smell to it; oak; vanilla from the oak aging; high ABV is very prevalent

T - Sweet oak notes hit the palate quickly; followed up by mild vanilla and bourbon taste; dry, crisp aftertaste finishes the sip with a clean finish; slight oak linger; tastes almost like a sweet vanilla latte coffee taste

M - Smooth and liquid; taste gives a creamy texture but hides the thin consistency; slight port/wine aftertaste, lingers for a little bit

D - Fantastic after dinner drink; one of my favorites; loved it; this optimizes the after dinner sweet beer drink everyone should enjoy; have one and I'm positive you'll want a lot more after

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into my New Belgium glass. If I could give points for the bottle or the label design, I would. I love the Lost Abbey branding; but I digress...

Pours a dark brown, almost black with about an inch of mocha foam. Head dissipates rather quickly without much lacing.

Smells initially of the brandy followed by sweet raisins. The bourbon is evident towards the end of the inhale.

Tastes of chocolatey roasted malts soaked in bourbon. The taste is affected as well because you can't raise the glass to your mouth without being hit by the bourbon/brandy combination.

A bit on the thin side for how strong this beer is upfront. Not unpleasant but not expected either.

I feel warmed as I continue to sip, but I'm also not hit over the head by the 12.5%. These things are way too expensive to drink on the regular and the 12.5% would catch up quickly to you. I still enjoyed my first offering from Lost Abbey and would be interested to pick more up if I can come across them.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

On Tap (2009)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

(Aged for 2 years)

A beautiful dark brown ruby that clings to to the glass. A thin light brown head. Beautiful.

The aroma is sweet (not to mention terrific!). I smell the bourbon along with a sweetness resembling coconut and molasses. I also smell chocolate and cherry. Wow!

The taste is a complete whirlwind of sweet molasses, bourbon, rich and velvety chocolate, all with a strong backbone of alcohol-drenched cherries and then even more chocolate. A layered, textured, taste adventure! Simply exceptional.

A rich and luscious mouthfeel.

While I'm full of rich superlatives for this beer, (surprisingly?) it isn't all that drinkable (in large quantity!). My 10oz. pour is far too much for me; I'm actually sharing it with those around me willfully. That being said: This beer rocks!

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured 12.7oz bottle into Lost Abbey tulip.

a - Poured a pitch black with a nice finger creamy head. The head was tiny bubbles all mushed together and on top of each other...very molecular. As they popped, there was some chunky lacing clinging to the glass...milkshake-ish. The head hung around for a while.

s - Without even smelling the glass, the room immediately was overtaken by a boozy smell. Upon closer inspection a thick syrupy musty wooden smell. I feel like the brandy is more apparent but the mix creates a bit of a fight for dominance which results in a somewhat over-ripened fruit smell. For some reason, I can't stop smelling the glass though. Figs and plums too...

t - Lots going on. Big booziness. Again a bit of a fight for dominance in the flavor and kind of like taking a big swig of sangria and getting tons of fruit in your mouth.

m - Bold and thick. Real full bodied with a nice boozy tingle. After taste is a bit fruity and like sopped up barrels.

d - I have to say I was a bit nervous as I popped the cork...didn't make the trademark POP that I love when opening a beer. it was more of a pfttt...none-the-less the beer was plenty carbonated. My overall impressions left me feeling that I drank sangria and not a beer...pretty amazing that it was a beer though. She's a big beer. A sipper. Very glad I was able to find this at Julio's when I was in Boston not too long ago, but not something I'd actively pursue again.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Big thanks to Eric(turdfurgeson) for this treat.

A: Pours a murky dark brown with almost no head.

S: Bourbon,chocolate vanilla and slight brandy. Small amount of roasted malt and fruit.

T: Bourbon then booze. I get a lot of alcohol burn with this. Chocolate, vanilla then slight roasted malt. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate.

M: Medium-thick and oily body.

D: This is a sipper, like a brandy but I enjoyed it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a very, very dark brown - only really a dagger of dark brown piercing the body when held up to the light. Head is ochre, quite listless but leaving some nice trails behind. A swirl is quite effective in reviving it. Small bubbles, not too dense. Yeah, good colour, pretty good everything else.

Smells quite dark, yet not roasty. Lots of chocolate, dark and cocoa-esque with a Tia Maria edge. Yeah, very sweet, dark and liqueury, a touch of milk coffee and Irish cream almost and a big dollop of coconut lingering at the back. A really very fascinating smell, and very enticing.

Taste is quite sweet as well. Lots of chocolate, dark and sweet with some nectar notes on the front, and a touch of orange peel with more of that Tia Maria liqueuriness. Sweet, though, and nicely weighted with an obvious alcohol that only asserts itself through the fullness of the body and never gets hot. Pleasant touches of marshmallow with more Irish cream, caramel, some touches of cinnamon, milk coffee, and some hop notes towards the back giving apple characteristics. Some shiraz wine notes as well, berries and pepper, oh it's just intoxicatingly good. Wow. This is a cracker of a beer.

If a beer is this nice, I will drink it. It's a heavy drop and one for sharing, but it's amazing, so smooth, so tasty.

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

A - Pretty close to black in color and a thin brown head on top that sticks nicely when swirled.

S - Explosive aroma! Bourbon, oak and vanilla are all strong, but the sweet, chocolaty smell is there, too. Alcohol is abundant, but pleasant.

T - Much of the same as in the nose, though maybe some dark fruit, too. The alcohol gets in the way of some of the flavors. Honestly, the flavors aren't meshing as well as they come through in the aroma.

M/D - Medium bodied, as the alcohol seems to thin this beer out a bit. Not much carbonation. Overall, an interesting attempt at blending and fairly enjoyable, but definitely not worth the price tag.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%

Glad I was able to find some bottles of this because I missed it when it was actually out.

Pours a deep brown color. No head and almost looked like it poured flat. Was worried I had another flat Lost Abbey Beer. Had a little bit of bubbles surface after a second or two.

Aroma is awesome. Tons of dark fruits mixed with some toasted sugars, caramel and roasted malts. Little bit of booz and bourbon oakyness.

Taste is excellent. Starts off tasting like Angels Share then finishes as Serpents Stout with a strong vanilla flavor lingering on your tongue with the roasted malt bitterness. Sooo awesome.

Mouthfeel could use a little more carb IMO but it's not bad. Light carb side but it's there for sure. I feel a heavier beer needs a little more carb to counter the viscosity.

Overall an awesome beer I want to sit on for a while to see how it changes. Glad I picked a few up.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Black beer that foamed up a small brown head that quickly dissipated and only left some spots on the side during the drink.

S - This is a little bit on the boozy side with some oak and dark fruit. Smells a little too bourbony for my liking, but okay.

T - Taste is surprisingly really good, somehow the combination of two pretty good beers makes one really great beer. Great vanilla with mild oak, nice bourbon sweetened by brandy, some dark fruit, really great mixture of beers that goes down easy and hides the alcohol.

M - Full bodied and smooth, low carbonation, but not flat.

D - Highly drinkable for 12.5%, great stuff, would love to drink again.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

375ml corked and caged bottle picked up for a disgusting $16.99. drank from my samual adams perfect pint glass.

A- the pour yields a dark brown body with just a bit of ruby red highlights sneaking through around the edges of the glass. im pleased with the half finger of dark beige colored head that forms on top. the head doesnt last very long, and doesnt leave behind much in the way of lacing either.

S- the first whiff of this brings out strong odors of alcohol. bourbon, brandy and ethanol. after that i get some sweet caramel, brown sugar, and roasted malts. vanilla comes through pretty strong from the oak barrels. lots of raisin. lots of chocolate. very complex. inviting and intimidating.

T- the taste is every part as complex as the nose. it starts out with some strong sweetness from caramel, brown sugar, and molasses. it quickly moves into strong dark chocolate notes which blend beautifully with the vanilla from the oak. raisins and lightly roasted malts comes through near the end, as does the alcohol which is still strong. brandy, bourbon, and above all else, ethanol.

M- medium bodied, bordering on full. palate coating with a lingering aftertaste. the carbonation level is low, but, dis spite all the jokes, it really works in this beers favor. i do believe this was the intended way.

D- the beer is huge and makes itself known. im glad it comes in the little bottles, because i dont think i could tackle a full 750 by myself. its also a little pricey for any thoughts of another one, but its something ill look forward to opening again in the future.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this one from Bitterbill, cheers Bill!

375 ml bottle pours mahogany with a pinky of fat falling brown head, opened with a tiny pop. Nice viscosity to this, average head retention, a touch of lacing

S: Booze & plums, plus other dark fruits, faint oakyness

T: Follows the nose, some rich caramelized sugar, cherries & raisins up front. Figgyness, dryness & a touch of boozey plums dominate as this warms, a bit of Bourbon; some leafy hops are also present along with Madeira/Port. finishes dry, fruitty with a nice leafy/woody hop presence

MF: Medium bodied, slick, warming, subtle carbonation

Super easy to drink, a very nice offering from the Lost Abbey, that is going great on a bitterly cold night awaiting another La Nina snow storm!

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey