Sinners Blend 2010 | The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Bitterbill on 02-06-2011

12%

4.84/5  rDev +21%

A small pop when I removed the cork, it pours a very dark brown with a small head of foam and plenty of lacing. Halfway through the sitting, the foam and lacing are gone.

The nose is....amazing! Loaded with dark fruits that bring a lot of sour notes, light funk, vanilla, light chocolate, very vinous, stretching the boundaries between a beer and a wine. The more whiffs I take, the more complex this seems to get.

The taste could not live up to the aroma, right? Don't you believe it! I get everything in the taste that I got in the smell. The dark fruitiness is dominated by plums, got some tart cherry goodness, milk chocolate sweetness, toffee, some very maple syrup like sweetness on the back end. Wow oh wow! And again, it has some very wine like characteristics that would please a lover of said beverage. Amazing stuff!

There isn't much carbonation and the feel is of medium body but I like the general smoothness of this brew.

Drinkability is a sheer joy! So much so that I could kick myself for not opting for the 2 additional bottles I was offered in this, my last shipment as a Sinners Club member. Oh the pain, the pain.

I think this is one of Lost Abbey's best beers ever!(at least, 1 of the best I've had the chance to try)

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance: The cap comes off with a loud POP and a fairly vigorous pour yields two fingers of head and a lot of noise from the effervescence of the beer. I was expecting a flat mess, but the head shows decent retention (1 minute later and still a millimeter of head and a ring around the glass). The beer itself is a dark unfiltered mess, and not in a bad way. No real light comes through except for a tiny bit of mahogany around the edge of the glass.

Smell: This beer smells fucking amazing. Sour cherries, dark fruit, and a bit of raisin and prune highlight here. There’s a little bit of bread pudding as well, but the dominating notes are all sour fruit. I even get a lot of residual sweetness that creates quite the sensation in my nose. It smells almost like a dessert plate at a nice restaurant.

Taste: Sour fruit (cherries, plums, raisins, and figs) all compete for your attention. There is a definite bready sweetness which is hard to define as well, but this beer is all sour fruit. I get a little of the balsamic flavors noted by others, but the sour vinegary finish is conspicuously absent, and that makes me more of a fan of this beer.

Mouthfeel: The sourness hits you right in the back corners of your mouth on the first sip. The hearty effervescent nature of the beer provides an interesting temperance. Most beers of this style are flat and this beer is the farthest thing from it. The overall mouthfeel is surprisingly light when the sweetness of the nose is factored in, but the finish is quite heavy and enjoyable.

Drinkability: This beer is ridiculously drinkable. I could drink every bottle I have of this, and while my ass would be on the floor, I would enjoy every minute of it, and I’d be on the search for more. From other reviews, it sounds like consistency may be an issue, but this beer was very, very good to me, and I would definitely seek it out again. (And for what it’s worth, 20 minutes after this review was started, there’s still a film of head on top and a very nice ring with lacing on the edge of the glass. Bravo LA!)

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.51/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Very soft pop when I finally got the cork out; pour is a mahogany black brown with no real head, despite me trying to force one. I was a bit skeptical at this point and I do have a hard time believing it was "intentionally" flat after the many other flat lost abbey bottles I have received. It is not a pretty pour and looks a bit muddy.

Smell: Amazing and complex. Huge amounts of dark fruits like plums and dates, very vinous, with some light funk, vanilla, caramel and toffee also. I also get some big brandy notes.

Taste: Also very complex and developed. Again there are dark fruits up front, plums, dates and cherries, followed by a brandy element, toffee, caramel, vanilla and light funk. I also get some fresh wet tobacco. When I drink my next bottle it will be from a wine glass or a snifter I think.

Mouthfeel: Basically flat, it does detract slightly but not in a big way

Drinkability: This is very enjoyable and one to contemplate.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Popped the cork. We have carbonation folks. Poured a murky brownish color with good carbonation presenting a dirty white cap, leaving some light lacing and bubbles

S: Very strong notes of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, some nice funk, dark fruits and caramel.

T: Wow. Loads of flavor here. Bourbon, Earthy, vanilla, dark fruits, wood with a nice funk and lacto prsence. I picked up cocoa and lingering grape presence on the back with a nice warming booziness

M: Lightly low on carbonation but nothing to complain about, big body

O: Lots of great flavor going on here. Exceptional beer and treat to drink!

4.48/5  rDev +12%

Big ups to bitterbill fro sending this to me...thanx Bill! Good looking label!

12.7 oz bottle opens with a insignificant pop, pours a dirty prune juice/chestnut color with minimal head. This has bit of meniscus, but no real lacing or head retention

S: Sourness, some raisin, some port notes

T: Follows the nose , more raisin than sourness, some figs & oakyness with booze lurking in the background up front. Oaky sourness dominates as this warms, a touch of dryness & granny smith apples, vinaigrette & a touch of leather dryness. There is also some some figgy, caramel, & vanilla sweetness. Finishes with boozey figgyness, oaky dryness & sourness & just a kiss of whiskey

MF: Fairly thick, smooth, near zero carbonation

Through the roof drinkability, easily one of the best/most complex wild ales I've ever had. Addictive!

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

2/12/2011

Thanks for opening this, Tomme.

A: Pours near still and deep brown with a syrupy collar and some legs.

A: Vinous with a touch of lactic character, plum, and chocolate. Bourbon and oak are evident, as are vanilla and brown sugar. The beer is quite rich.

T: Moderately sweet with brown sugar, bourbon, and a strong grape profile. Notes of plum are evident. Angels share has a firm presence, but there are some lactic notes as well. It's port-like. Noticeable booze with ample warming. Some caramel is present, as is chocolate.

M: Lower full body and essentially still, at least this bottle is, but it works well with this flavor profile. Mouthfeel is silky, sticky, and smooth, and there's much alcohol warming. 8%, hmmm...

Overall: Very good. I hope this pops up again as I'd love to give it a more thorough analysis (drink more of it).

4.36/5  rDev +9%

Got this as part of the final Sinners shipment (ever?). Served in a Kuhnhenn tulip and shared with my wife.

A - It's still. A hard pour rouses some big bubbles, and leaves a partial collar of tiny bubbles and a few tiny spots of lace. Looks like wine, but a murky raisin-brown color.

S - Smell is heavy on the Angel's Share (caramel, chocolate, brown sugar, dark fruits), along with notes of grapes, balsamic vinegar, wood, vanilla, and a bit of wet dog funkiness.

T - Taste is again heavy on the raisin and dark fruit elements of Angel's Share mixed with lactic sourness, vinous notes, tart candied cherries, maple, and a bit of bourbon.

M - No carbonation, but doesn't feel heavy or viscous. More of a medium body that is surprisingly fleeting on the palate. Finishes tannic with some alcohol warmth. I think the 8% alcohol listed on both Sinners Blends and Veritas is utter nonsense.

D - This is quite good (other than looking dead ugly). I finished my 6oz fairly quickly even though I tried to savor my pour. I'm curious if this will ever carbonate, as there was a lot of yeast and sediment impacted on the bottom of the bottle. In any case, a delightful treat and a marked improvement over Sinners Blend 2009.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

inch before dropping back down to earth with little in the way of lacing. Aroma was wonderful though. Nice touches of raspberries, hints of light cherry and a touch of sour apples as well. Really quite nice, and very light and refreshing. Smooth and light flavor here as well. Not especially sour, but people need to realize a wild ale does not need to be sour. Anyway. Cherries and Raspberries dominate here, light touches of grape skin, apples and a smooth, and light sugary note to it as well. Light feel and nice prickly carbonation give it an almost champagne like feel, but the drinkability remains very high.

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks very much to jedwards for rounding out the tasting with this rare treat. Served in a Sinners tulip. Pours a semi-hazy mahogany with no head. Nose expresses raisins, bourbon, brown sugar and vanilla notes. Taste is vinous with the addition of vanilla, bourbon notes and citrus. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a still carbonation and a slightly astringent/acidic quality. A delicious and complex Wild that nicely balances sour with malty. A trace of carbonation would make this beer spectacular in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a dark red with a small head leaving decent lacing.

Aroma consists of caramel notes with a lot of added Brett.

Flavor is very interesting. Has a distinct sweetness that I identified as maybe being special B. Whatever it is, it starts off with a sweetness and loads of caramal/toffee with notes of leather and tobacco. Just when the sweetness peaks, the sourness overwhelms it and finishes very dry. Very great contrast between the sweet and sour.

Medium mouthfeel and surprising amount of carbonation for a LA beer.

Not the best beer in our lineup of sours, but by far the most interesting. I really love the way the sweet and sour mixed in.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Tap at Armsby Abbey for Lost Abbey takeover. This was my fav beer of the night.

Has a light fizzy head, super murky dark maroon almost cola brown color.

Nose has a nice bourbon, oak, sweet malts, brown sugar, maple glaze, dark malts, caramel, toffee, hint of dark cocoa, light tart funk.

Taste is more bourbon, oak, brandy soaked raisins, syurps, caramel, toffee, vanilla, brown sugar, then soured brown malts but a nice soft feel, hint of more dark fruits, hint of cocoa and stout like dark malts. Finish is tart and dry, almost flemmy, more sour fruits and malts, raisin, bourbon, and a bit of booze.

Mouth is a bit fuller bodied, decent carb, hint of warming booze.

Overall delicious, a nice blend of the sour tart fruits and nice stout flavors, all done in good proportions. Then add the oak, vanilla, and awesome bourbon, done very well and super delicious.

Sinners Blend 2010 from The Lost Abbey