Veritas 009 | The Lost Abbey

lostabbey.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by HopHead84 on 05-28-2011

3.54/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours an opaque dark brown with no head and no lacing on the drink down. Smell is sour and tart with some dark malt, dark fruit, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with a really tart and acidic finish. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it definitely smells better than it tastes.

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

I brought my bottle along to Imminent Liquidation. I made sure to save a generous pour so I could take notes.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark brown with no head showing up at all. This looks like it will be an interesting one.

Smell: Sweet and syrupy with a very slight fruit tartness that it took me a while to find. Started out smelling like a stout/strong ale blend.

Taste: There is a sour component to this beer that I wasn't sure of until now. I'm picking up some cherry and chocolate notes. This beer is extremely sweet, but it seems to work.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with hardly any carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I really enjoyed this even with the faults. I could have used a little carbonation. The flavors all worked for me so I would call it a success.

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle: Poured a deep black color ale with a small almost non-existent head with zero retention. The beer is indeed flat which I find hard to know if it is by design or just another bottling issue with the brewery. Aroma of bourbon with some vanilla notes is offset by tart and kriek notes which make for a weird mix at the end of the day. Taste is a very weird mix between bourbon/vanilla notes with light roasted malt offset by tart, oak and sour cherries notes. Body is about average with zero carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I can’t say I really enjoyed this one.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to Andrew for opening one and AP for sending one my way.

Appearance: Still dark brown. No carbonation whatsoever. Fairly viscous, leggy body.

Aroma: Cocoa and cherries. Subdued sourness, bourbon and red wine, balsamic vinegar, molasses. A nice mix of sweet and sour.

Palate: More tartness than I was expecting, it opens with a nice lactic twang, with tart sour cherries not far behind. Medium-full body, flavors of chocolate, molasses and bourbon work surprisingly well with the sourness. Alcohol is well hidden. The mix of cherries, lactic sourness and dark malt is pretty enjoyable. This bottle had no carbonation to speak of, but I didn't feel it was to the beer's detriment.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle generously shared by kbutler1. Thanks a ton!

Bottle opens with the slightest pop.

Pours fairly flat. No head at all. Color is an extremely dark ruby red, nearing a dark purple around the edges. Looks like wine. A swirl leaves some legs.

Aroma: Smells like a mead or a wine. Tons of cherries. Bourbon notes and wine notes. Oaky with tons of barrel characteristics. Reminds me kind of like an old ale. Then I get more tart cherries. Lots of cherries. Grapes as it warms.

Taste: Woah. This beer is complex. Starts out with a tobacco flavor then I get some bourbon and oak flavors. It has vinegar flavors and then a ton of tart cherries. A lot of wine flavors as well. Chocolate. Towards the end I get some caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Tart and dry. Medium to full bodied with a low, very low, amount of carbonation. Ends with some tobacco flavors.

Overall, I don't care about the low amount of carbonation. It works for this beer. I guess I would rather have something like this under than over carbonated. There are few beers that are as complex as this one. It has so much going on for it. Reminded me so much of a wine. Very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +22%

Bottle consumed as a precursor to the barrel-aged barleywine tasting at a preview of Terry's beers at the Farmers Cabinet facility in Alexandria.

Disclaimer: this beer was initially flat, and I subsequently force-carbed it to a low level. Given the interaction of things in the mouthfeel, I don't think the carbonation was really necessary or added much.

Pours a murky dark brown color with a garnet hue. No real head other than a few tan bubbles that popped up and fell almost instantaneously.

The nose starts things off right with notes of chocolate and a bit of dark malt. Atop that were strong notes of cherry, red wine, and oak. Pretty good acidity with a very mild acetic character. The flavor was intense, to say the least. Really delicious with the dark malt and fruits combining with bright cherries and brisk acidity. Red wine and oak really round things out. Some acetic character as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is really fantastic. Not something I would have imagined myself for a sour, but it worked quite well. Strong acidity with a thick, chewy base that neared stout levels. Dry and tannic. Long finish. Very low carbonation.

Incredibly complex and well made. Not sure if the low carbonation was intentional, but I think it worked quite well.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

From 11/05/11 notes. Big thanks to craytonic for sharing this one; thanks Matt! Poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a deep dark reddish-brown color with a dark purple tint, about two bubbles of head and almost no carbonation evident. Looks flat, as expected.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, dark fruity malts, alcohol, red wine, light cherries. Bourbon and oak are very strong, as are dark fruits. Nice and I enjoy the nose, but not really sour at all.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, sweet dark fruity malts, red wine, and sour cherries. Light chocolate and roasted malts, but not as much as the nose. Some sourness and tart cherries here in the taste, but not what I traditionally think of in a sour as it is both sweet and sour at the same time, and still hevay on the bourbon. A little odd, but nice.

m - Medium body and no carbonation whatsoever. Docking it a little bit as I think it would have been better with some low carbonation. Still a smooth mouthfeel and it isn't bad, but I think some would have helped.

o - Overall a very interesting beer. The taste is both sweet and sour which is cool/interesting, thoough I'm not sure how much of this I would want to drink. I've now had five of the nine Veritas series beers and this one ranks 4/5; not saying this is bad, but shows the quality of the others. In any event, this is not nearly as sour, or enjoyable in my opinion, as 006, 004, or 007. My order goes:

1. 006
2. 004
3. 007
4. 009
5. 008

4.97/5  rDev +31.8%

its my bday so i bring out the big guns opened this one on friday night to obliterate myself. this was quite simply one of the best beers i have ever drank. a sublime mix of everything i love about beer all rolled into one.

pours a lovely dark brown, nearly black with a fluffy tan head that caps the top of the glass nicely coating the sides and really making it look the part.

aroma is nuts, hard to even explain as you have to simply be there. dark chocolate and oak, mingled with deep grape, raspberry and dark fruit notes, sour with changing flavors twirling around. its hard to get a grip on this beer!

the combination of a dark roasted chocolate/malt driven base with sour fruit is one that really needs to be expierenced to completely get it. i simply cannot make the words do this justice. finishes off with the subtlest of dryness and lovely sour flavors and all is well in the world.

stunning, now by far my favorite beer from lost abbey, no question.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

750 mL bottle. Pours black with no head. Smells like chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and cherries. A little acidity. Tastes of chocolate. Vanilla. Sour cherries. Heavy oak. Dark cherry sourness. Bourbon in the finish. Medium body. Low carbonation. I did not expect to like this. I’m glad I chased it. It’s different and nontraditional, but really tasty.

Veritas 009 from The Lost Abbey