Double Cuvee De Tomme | The Lost Abbey

Added by beerfan99 on 09-16-2011

4.1

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 7
4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at Toronado (SF) for Lost Abbey Night during 2011 Beer Week. Review is based on memories, notes, and pictures. I would have added this review earlier, but it took me a while to meet the criteria and qualify to add a new beer. Anyway, on to the review.

A: Dark red/brown in color and opaque. The carbonation level on this beer was pretty low and produced only a small head that dissipated quickly.

S: Similar to the regular Cuvee De Tomme, smells sour with aromas of cherries and oak. The cherry smell is much stronger than the regular Cuvee De Tomme I had earlier in the day at City Beer Store.

T: Tastes exactly what you expect from the smell. Definitely sour and tart. The cherries are definitely noticeable and are what I remember liking the most.

M: Carbonation was lower than I would have liked. That said, I still enjoyed the smoothness of this beer on the palate. The alcohol level is high and while the sour smell masks it, it is easily noticeable in taste and leaves a dry mouthfeel.

O: Comparisons to the regular Cuvee De Tomme are obvious, but my preference leans to this version because I think the extra cherries allow them to play a more dominant role in the smell and taste than in the regular version. This is a very good wild ale that I was very surprised to see when it was posted at the event. In terms of Lost Abbey wild ales, this is a solid offering and one I hope to see again sometime.

Double Cuvee De Tomme from The Lost Abbey