Cable Car Kriek | The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by HopHead84 on 11-12-2011

4.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottles at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku.

Big thanks to Brad for acquiring two different versions of this rarity. The first was an unlabeled version that was allegedly dubbed "too sour" and not released. The second was the labeled version available at Toronado. The review that follows is of the "regular" version from Toronado. After that are some notes on the unlabeled version in comparison to that one.

Gusher alert! Holy hell did this thing explode. Even after being stored cold and opened right out of the fridge, as soon as the cage came off the cork started pushing up and beer shot out sideways several feet. Thankfully we were mostly prepared, as had we not been ready I think we would have lost the whole bottle.

After all that, the beer pours a hazy and murky reddish-amber with a small off-white head that recedes pretty quickly, leaving just a bit of sparse lacing behind.

The nose carries heavy notes of cherry with a bit of nutty pit in there, though just a touch. Behind that is a really nice bit of earth and some very light barnyard. The flavor was similar and brought plenty of cherry along with some light funk and moderate acidity.

Body was medium with average carbonation and a dry finish. Really a lot more depth to this one than with the 2010 Cable Car that we had alongside the two Kriek versions.

Compared to the regular version, the "too sour" unlabeled version did not have nearly as much cherry and had quite a bit more acidity. The cherry that was there seemed to be more of a sour cherry, and there weren't nearly as many earthy notes. This reminded me much more of the Cable Car with cherries added, whereas the labeled version seemed like a different beer. Very interesting comparison. Thanks again, Brad.

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Had a bottle at Toronado San Diego.

A: a crisp looking ruby color, minimal head with very fine lacing.

S: This scent would be extraordinary anywhere. Wish I didn't have to wash out the bottle. Fresh cherries up front with a nice wine-barrel undertone.

T: Wow. Arguably one of the best sours I've ever had. Fantastic cherry flavors with some subtle citrus just to throw me off. Great profile blending with whatever wine barrels they used.

MF/D: Incredibly smooth. Fortunately we didn't get a gusher, and the carbonation was faint, effervescent, and smooth. Can't wait to convince my friends to get another bottle!

4.73/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bottle into Tulip at Toronado San Diego.

Appearance: Pours a bright hazy red/orangeish color with about a fingers width of a light pink head that dissipates there after leaving by some thin lacing along the glass.

Smell: Aroma is loaded with tons of fresh ripe/sour cherries with some faint citrus and a very mild vanilla tinge.

Taste: Powerful dose of fresh, ripe, sour cherries illicit a mild sweetness as well. Initially the sourness is right from the start, and grows in intensity as the beer warms, followed very briefly by a ripe sweet cherry flavor that finishes right back to a dry mellow sour cherry tartness with some oak.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation that sips perfectly.

Overall: Another fantastic sour (Kriek) by The Lost Abbey. This was a great move to go to the kriek style for 2011. Could not have asked for any better. One of the best krieks I have had and if you are ever at Toronado SD I suggest you grab one before this rarity disappears for ever.

3.51/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to someone's sister for getting him one. Consumed next to 07, 08, 09 Cable Car.

A: A loud pop of the cork and a fountain of foam gushed from the bottle spraying the windows in front of the sink. We proceeded to let the foam-over pour and fill multiple glasses, but we still lost a good amount of beer. This beer is the definition of ‘gusher’. This beer is very murky, cloudy, and the color of pink grapefruit.
S: I get light notes of funk and earthy, but for the most pat this beer is rather sweet smelling. The tartness is there and comes through in the form of cherry skins and lemon zest.
T: Sugary. Very sugary. The cherry is very sweet and candy-like rather than being fruity and ripe. In fact, you can taste the fruit addition that sets this beer apart from the original, but it’s rather ambiguous and not especially cherry-like. I get flavors of citrus, lemon, peach and prunes. The funk is almost nonexistent, but there is a light sourness to the brew. The aftertaste coats my mouth and is very sugary sweet and candy-like. Despite all of this, the flavor profile is good, just not what I was expecting nor what I think this beer ‘should’ taste like.
M: Greasy and slick mouthfeel, medium-full body, low carbonation, and lightly tart. No dryness at all.
O: To date, Cable Car is probably my favorite LA beer, and one of the top 10 best beers I’ve tried. This beer, however, was just too sweet. I could barely tell it was Cable Car and not some Lindemans beer. The fruit was there by it didn’t scream cherries. Despite all of this, I think a bit of age would do it some good, assuming the cork doesn't pop itself off, and I would definitely drink this again.

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at Toronado SF...flew in just for the tick. Yeah, pretty baller.

A - Huge gusher...glass after glass filled with a pinkish/red foam. After filling about 6 or so glasses, it finally died down. Pours a ruby/cherry red, pinkish/red head, sticky lace with pieces of red cherry chunks on top and on the sides of the glass.

S - Big sour cherries, zesty funky tartness, refreshing, nice and tart and pretty much as a kriek should smell. Close to the excellent krieks across the pond.

T - Straight forward sour cherries, nice acidic sour/tart noes, very fruity. Tastes pretty much like Cable Car with some cherries, which is very enjoyable and what I was hoping for.

M - Light, very zesty carbonation (ie. gusher), tart dry finish.

O - Impressive explosion, impressive beer. I think this one actually went beyond my expectations and I can say it's my favorite Cable Car to date. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch another flight to SF to try again in the future. Recommend!

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle from Toronado SF.

Glowing reddish-amber body with quite a bit of haze. Very bubbly, with a big lasting pink head. Huge cherry presence on the nose, largely sour with a bit of cherry pie sweetness. Plenty of lacto here too, which reminds me of '09 Cable Car. The palate follows suit, very fruit heavy with an awesome sweet-sour dynamic from the fruit. Very lactic, though it avoids the harshness of some lacto-heavy sours. Brett contributes a mild earthy/leathery note, but the fruit really steals the show here. Quite good, my favorite Cable Car since '08.

4.42/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle consumed at Toronado - SF. Figured I'd fly in to try this when Mike generously offered to pay for the bottle. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

A - There are gushers, and then there is this beer. Thankfully the friendly Tornado stuff had warned me about this beer and I had five pint glasses ready to catch the deluge of foam that erupted from the bottle. When things finally calmed down I was eventually able to fill my glass. A finger of white foam settles to a thick collar, leaving behind tiny spots of lace. Hazy pink grapefruit-colored body.

S - The initial aroma is a wall of sweet, delicious, ripe cherries and pie crust and vanilla malt sweetness. However, when the beer warms up some nice funk and acetic vinegar round things out. Oak character is surprisingly restrained for a Lost Abbey offering.

T - Taste is quite similar, with a heaping dose of fresh, ripe, sweet cherries that impart a moderate level of tartness as well. Initially the sourness manifests in the finish, but it grows in intensity as the beer warms, creeping into the cherry-dominated mid-palate. Reminds me of fresh Lou Pepe Kriek.

M - Medium bodied, with lower carbonation - I'm guessing all the bubbles ended up in the foam. Texture is a mixture of oak and tannic fruit skin dryness and sticky cherry sweetness. I suspect feel is superior in bottles that don't erupt violently.

D - If pressed, I'd pick 2009 (and possibly 2010) vintages over the Kriek, but this is a delicious and highly enjoyable beer that is worthy of the Cable Car moniker. I'll have to make some time to enjoy another bottle at SF Beer Week.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a hazy red color with a slightly orange hint with a thin finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lace spots.

S - Aroma is full of lots of fresh sour cherries with some citrus and other sweet fruits. There is some nice tartness and some oak to add some complexity. Really great smelling beer.

T - Starts off with a nice kick of sour cherry flavor with some oak and tartness providing some depth. Through the middle, more sourness comes through with some citrus and raspberry flavor. There is a bit more oak and some funk that join in as well. As the beer finishes it mellows out a bit with some oak, sourness, and funk lingering on the tongue alongside the cherries.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Maybe a hint over carbonated, but very smooth and crisp.

D - Extremely drinkable. Very well balanced. The sourness and fruit flavors are excellent and have some great richness and depth. Really enjoyed this beer.

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Shared a bottle with the wife at Toronado SD. Have been waiting for this one. Poured into stemware.

Big POP when corked and served up a good light pinkish-white foam head. The beer itself was a clear rose/orange hue that become a little more hazy as we reached the bottom of the bottle.

Smells like a sour sugar candy. Artificial cherries and watermelon.

I was taken back with my first sip as the effervescence and tartness right off the bat was insane. After settling in, the roasted cherry skins come out. I got a deep earthiness and oak to round out the flavors as the liquid goes down the hatch. You know that taste when you finish a cherry popsicle and you chew on the popsicle stick for awhile? That's what I was tasting even 10-15 minutes after I was done with this one. Sweet, fruity wood.

This beer was very refreshing and clean tasting in my mouth. As we started tasting the cloudy portion of the the bottom of the bottle, the mouthfeel took on a little more depth.

So glad I had a chance to try this beer. Such a successful sour kriek ale. Hope to enjoy more of this in the future!

Cable Car Kriek from The Lost Abbey