Mo' Betta Bretta | The Lost Abbey

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

1.94/5  rDev -45.2%

375ml C&C bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead glass.

A: Pours a hazy light orange, with about a 1/2 inch head from a careful pour. some carbonation that bubbles up from the bottom.

S: Sweaty Feet or old gym socks, could think of nothing else. Revolting and unappealing.

T: Almost nothing noticeable very boring and one dimensional.

M: Thin and watery.

O: Absolute garbage, can't believe their are some half-way decent reviews of this beer. I know taste is subjective, blah.. blah.. blah..

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.28/5  rDev -35.6%

Gold with a sassy lilly pad of white foam on top. Fast fleeing foam that is. Cute bottle with cute bottle art.

Smells like musty sweet tarts and corn chips. Maybe some mild rye-like spice but I may be reaching.

Like not as sweet white grape juice with no discernible brett. Not as wild as I was hoping for. Not really wild at all. Kinda tastes like a Harpoon IPA from the cooler that's been in the basement since last beach season and all the hops have faded out and the crystal sweetness is gone and you wonder why you wanted to try it in the first place except that this time it's supposed to tasted like that (I'm guessing) and it's $10 for a cute little bottle that you bought because of the cute frogs.

Mo betta is better than no bretta but not by much.

2.31/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a teku. Collaboration beer between New Belgium and Lost Abbey.
100% Brettanomyces fermented.

Orange gold sunset color, subtle haze in the body. Tons of bubbles risinng up to escape, with a large white head that slowly settled and left its mark on the glass. Good lacing initially, but none after the initial head dies.

The aroma in an unexciting one for the style. I believe that age has not done favors to this beer, as usually is the case. I get hints of oxidation (despite the cork and cage) aromas of white grape juice, pear, honey, and sweet creamed corn.

The taste is quite muted, just like the smell. There is a little bit of musk here, and then a bunch of fruity qualities that come off as faded. Apple, stevia, cardboard, and the body is on the lighter side.

I'm pretty disappointed with how this beer held up. The brett didn't really take over here, and I have experienced that with brett before, where it just doesn't work the way you want it to. I would not recommend this beer, especially at this point. Past its prime and the prime probably wasn't that high.

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Bought this beer as soon as hit the stores in Massachusetts. Must say I was really disappointed in it.

Pour-Had a hazy golden color to it like most sours do with little head. I will say the Carbonation was good as it was not a gusher like some of Tomme's other beers are.

Smell-The smell was kinda weak. It definitely had a little bit of that funky sour smell to it. The smell was not that in your face delicious sour like Jolly Pumpkin or Russian River has. I got some hints of clove and banana and little bit of citrus.

Taste-This was the ultimate let down of the beer. I prefer that kick in mouth tartness that lets you know those wild yeast strains are in those beers. To me the taste had no funk or presence of wild yeast to it. All I tasted was wheat. It reminded of a hefeweizen minus the spices.

Mouthfeel-A bit crisp on the mouth but thats about it. Nothing to really right home about it.

Honestly I really didn't like this beer at all. I know Tomme Arthur has made some great lambics and wild ales such as Duck Duck Geuze, Cable Car and Isabelle Proximus but I feel this takes away credit from his lambic ability. It shouldn't be called a sour ale because it's not. For $10.99 price tag I'll spend a couple extra dollars and stick with a man that knows sours, Ron Jeffries. Definitely won't be buying it again.

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, John!

A: Pours a murky, dirty peach-colored body. Moderate carbonation.

S: Almost no aroma; surprising. What nose there was suggested a Belgian pale ale or saison; some straw, pale malt, pear, maybe some pepper. No brett.

T: No brett in the taste, either. This comes off as a light enkel (think Redemption). Mild citrus, straw, bread, and a light earthiness.

M: Medium-bodied; I was hoping this would be drier and a little more carbed. Truth be told, I was hoping this would be more like Orval, but maybe that's my own fault.

O: I'm never very impressed with Lost Abbey beers. This continues the trend. Although I received this from a trading partner, I did see it in stores around here for $9; pretty disappointing for that price.

2.49/5  rDev -29.7%

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a globe glass. This bottle pours golden with a furious cap of large bubbles that wanted out.

Aroma(cold) of a Golden Ale with notable yeast components and some wheat. Possibly a base for a Bavarian Wheat, who knows.

Taste of yeast and malt again. Nothing unique. No Brett. Zero..
Wow. My last Lost Abbey Beer ever. Feeble.. OK while that comment may be a bit extreme, it's not really that far off either..

Notable misrepresentation in my view..

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

2.65/5  rDev -25.1%

On tap at the Collins Pub

A Pours a nice golden yellow with a 2 finger white head.

S A bit of funk with some citrusy lemon.

T For a brett beer there really wasn't a lot of tartness or funk to the flavor and what there was seemed sour in all the wrong ways. There was also a bit of clove and pepper which didn't really work either.

M Very light and easy to drink.

Overall this is a subpar wild ale. There doesn't seem to be much brett funk in either the flavor or nose and what there was just didn't seem to work. I'm glad I got this one on tap instead of paying 14 bucks for the bottle.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

Bottled May, 2012

Pours golden with a solid quilt of bone white foam that falls to a central dome in a minute. Smells of sweet grain, a saison like yeast quality, some hay, a little grass, some artificial apricot, and a hint of clay. Flavor reminds me mostly of a belgian blonde - with overtly savage yeast. Too belgian for me. Sweet with grain and plenty of yeast - nearly a unibroue intensity here. Not sitting well with me. Some hints of grains of paradise. Medium on full bodied with lively carb and a wet finish. Glad I only grabbed one.

Mo' Betta Bretta from The Lost Abbey