Shotgun Willie IPA | Peekskill Brewery

Peekskill Brewery
New York, United States
peekskillbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Our tribute to Willie…Shotgun Willie IPA’s aromas of cantaloupe and gooseberry come directly from New Zealand’s Nelson Sauvin Hops. Rye and wheat contribute to a distinct dry grain flavor. Pouring pale straw in color with full hop character, this is unlike any IPA you’ve had before.

Added by Billolick on 12-12-2011

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.51/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Although this beer tasted fine something about the smell of this beer reminded me of vagina...... Very very strange

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

32oz Growler

A big huge thanks to Mark for grabbing me this growler. Thumbs up! Shotgun Willie is light. Straw golden as it pours but becoming more apricot as it fills the glass. The head is wispy and pure white. A hard pour produces a short crown that settles to an island with a fat ring surrounding. The foam leaves sheer, but coating, lace down the glass. Looks pretty purty.

I could smell this beer the second the top popped on the growler and it's slam packed with fruit. Tropical notes run from front to back and in commanding style. Papaya, passionfruit, mango, and pineapple all have their specific nook. White grapes also play a part, though minor. The malt profile is pale with a soft sugar cookie sweetness. My mind may be playing tricks on me but there's even a mild spiciness from the addition of rye. A minor peppery alcohol bite brings up the rear. My mouth is watering.

The flavor profile is as jam packed with juicy fruitiness as the nose led on. Ripe pineapple is first and foremost. The white grapes are constantly on the periphery while passionfruit and mango pop in the middle through the finish. The malt profile adds enough sweetness that it makes me think of natural tropical fruit sweetnessof the variety the hop profile brings. The rye spice is is there but soft and in the back. I'm a big fan.

The weight is moderate with a luxurious mouthfeel from the wheat addition, soft and velvety like the fat girl we always liked but never admitted to... Anyway, the carbonation is on the low side of the spectrum which makes for a slow mover, which works perfectly in this beer. The finish eventually dries out and a moderate bitterness lingers with the tropical remnants.

While Chief has made some great beer in the past at Ithaca and as much as I like LeBleu and Brute, if I had to reach for one of his creations to keep me company, Shotgun Willie is near the top of the list. Let me mention that I get weak in the knees when there's a well made Nelson hopped IPA, so take this as you will, but I could drink this all day long. It's dripping with juiciness, it luxurious, it's insanely drinkable, and most importantly it's flat out delicious. Thanks again, Mark!

Shotgun Willie IPA from Peekskill Brewery