Oktoberfest | Granite City Food & Brewery

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear, copper color...light toasted malts on the nose...excellent toasted malts on the taste....full bodied or on the high side of mediu,....reminds me a little of SA O-fest....Sweet, toasted malts...heavy hitter..one of the better brew pub O-Fests I've had..this is a dandy...they figured it would only be on tap for about a week before it was gone...I feel lucky to have tried it....better than Barley John's in my opinion although both are good...I had them within days of each other..

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a large mug.

Pours 1 finger of white head. Fades to a thin layer. Leaves some nice lace rings. Color is an orange hued amber.

Aroma: Malty with some spices, faint hop flavor. Not bad, but nothing to exciting.

Taste: Very malty. Dry malty flavor with spices noted again. Minimal grassy hops. A nice octoberfest.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp a bit, very clean in general. Light to medium bodied. Medium amount of carbonation. Ends very clean.

Overall, a decent brew. Not the most flavor but it is an octoberfest so I didn't expect too much. I enjoyed how clean it was. Good drinkability.

3.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Lucky me, a new one on tap at Granite City, my favorite MN establishment.

This brew was served with a thin, slightly tan head. The color is amber, with a somewhat reddish tint to the body. The aroma consists of a malty kind of chocolate sense....also some caramel malt as well. Straight medium body. My first reaction is the mouthfeel is very creamy for the style, perhaps the draft playing a factor in that. It has an overall rustic feel, with a somewhat lemony hop presence. The hoppiness is heavy for the style but is covered well by a balancing malty persuasion. The finish is a bit rough on the edges, with a grainy texture. Ultimately it fades to a pale and bitter ending. A quality offering.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +8%

I'll never understand why people love to pan Granite City beer. It's not Founders, Russian River, or Surly, but it's always solid, & the food at our local outlet always good. Plus, our girls love the placemats.

A pitcher of this unknown brew arrived before our dinner. Clear & clean as a never-used copper kettle, foaming cheerfully. Smell is probably the weakest part of this beer, just vaguely lagerish, otherwise, not much in the aroma department.

Granite City's Oktoberfest is a really good representation of the style. More than anything, it's crisp, clean, & direct. A brew this simple, you screw it up, the flaws are going to haunt you, but this is good. Aside from the great mouthfeel, there's a distinct spritz of lemon, plenty of malt sweetness, & a chewy, biscuity taste in the middle. Finishes bright & warm with very little hopping.

Very good example of an O-fest brew, & probably better than all of their daily offerings. Like to be in Munich? Stop in for a pint. I'll happily have another if we're back in October.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled 10/9/2010 at the brewpub.

Pours orange/red, clear, low head, lace, retention.

Aroma is very mild but the aromas are still there. A tiny bit of European hops, caramel, and malt. But those are all in low doses.

Flavor is caramel, grassy, and low bitterness. Not overly flavorful but what is there is nice.

Body is light and the beer is quite drinkable.

Tick.

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

3.49/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev 0%

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Glassy, bright reddish orange; an appealing twist on the usual Oktoberfest color that favors brown over red. The head was darkest tan, verging on light brown, and lasted about as long as I expect brewpub heads to last anymore. That is, not very damn long. A few widely scattered spots of lace was the extent of the glass coverage.

The nose was weak and uninteresting. It's hard to say whether or not I assigned it aromas that I know marzens possess. After all, the power of suggestion can be a powerful thing. Anyway, I think it smelled of sweet, toasted caramel malt and I know that it smelled of very little else.

The flavor reminded me of significantly sweet, beer-flavored iced tea. Or iced tea-flavored beer, take your pick. It was better than that description sounds, but as I entered the bottom half of the pint, the sweetness began to wear on me. It fact, this was the sweetest O-fest that I can ever remember drinking. Even though I didn't taste it per se, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that honey was added.

There wasn't much bitterness, but earthy, spicy, tea-like hop flavor (Tettnanger perhaps) managed to fight through the almost cloying sweetness. The finish was medium in length, was slightly more bitter than what preceded it, and was lightly sticky. Unlike the typical beer from Granite City, the carbonation wasn't soda-like fizzy. It was also a comfortable notch or two above light.

Upon entering the brewpub, I noted a large, stainless steel Ford truck in the parking lot, backed up to the front of the building. Painted proudly on the side was 'Fermentus Interruptus in motion... '. Snaking out the back of the truck and in through a small hole in the restaurant's front wall was a hose that was pumping beer into the brew kettles. Quite apart from the quality of the beer, this is... just... wrong.

Oktoberfest is slightly better than average beer. However, the almost syrupy sweetness was out of place and kept me from enjoying it as much as I might have. I can wait another year (or more) for it to be trucked in from Fermentus Interruptus headquarters, or from wherever the hell it originates.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast