Yuengling Summer Wheat | Yuengling Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by WVbeergeek on 04-03-2014

Yuengling Summer Wheat Hefeweizen
ABV: this is differs depending on which website you are on, some say 4.5, some 4.6, some 4.7. The Yuengling website says 4.6, so I will go with that one. It does not list the IBU's, I will guess 20, or something low.

I had this in a 12 ounce bottle at home, here is what I got:

appearance:
Cloudy/hazy, dark yellow, can't see through. Carbonation is not alot of activity with the bubbles. There is a light white head that disapates to a thin 1 cm. head quickly. Some lacing was noticed.
Smell: Banana, biscuit, bubblegum, slightly sweet citrus fruit.
Flavor pallette: The taste matches the smell while some things stand out more than others. Wheat, biscuit, banana, citrus. Aftertaste has the taste of bananas and there is not a heavy alcohol taste.
Moulthfeel: There is a bit of substance to the moulthfeel. It does not feel watery to me.
Overall: Yuengling lager was my go to in college because it had a darker appearance than the other mass marketed beers and I liked it. I was not yet heavy into craft beers at that point and I didn't realize that there are much better beers to drink. It always had this skunky aftertaste and I just thought, well, that's beer for you. This is why it was really surprising that they really went for it with this German style wheat beer. I had low expectations because of the price and history of the beer company. At first I was like, this is not a bad hefewiezen. Then, I had it a second time and I liked it even more. It just keeps getting better everytime I drink it. It is also very consistenty good which is something to be said in this new world of craft beers. I get it now when it comes in season because it is a cheap beer that drinks like a good craft beer. If you are a fan of wheat beers I recommend it. I believe that good beers don't have to be expensive. Thank goodness some other people do as well.

This beer is absolutely delicious. The smell and flavor of bananas and cloves are outstanding. The best wheat beer I've ever had. Not only that, but the mouth feel is crisp and refreshing. It also forms a nice head which is not typical of yuengling beers. It's freaking perfect.

4.81/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was not originally a fan of Weizen style beers. After having 3 bottles of this (on 3 separate occasions) I have grown to like it. Very refreshing, hint of cloves.

4.68/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass

L - Clear amber with a quick 'n' thick foam dome; not cloudy at all

S - banana and clove yeast aroma, really on-par with hefeweizens

T - matches the aroma up front then I get almost a saison taste afterwards (wow!)

F - crisp and clean; not a whole lot of carbonation buzz

O - Very well-made and affordable beer. Perfect for the hot summer days in Pennsylvania. Yuengling often gets a knack out here for being cheap, but they make great, affordable beers and that's what they are good at. Be a good Pennsylvanian and give it a try!

4.66/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

OK....To be Honest and Fair,I am somewhat of a big time fan of "Yuengling's" beers overall,their Bock may be a bit left of center and has a bit of a Grapefruit note...which is VERY Strange for a "Bock" Beer,..but I Like it just the same..[in a weird way]
But In my Humble Opinion,Yuengling Summer Wheat [Weizen Beer] is WORLD CLASS,and just Amazing in every way,notes of very strong Banana,Vanilla Cream,and citrus,
I smelled the Beer for almost 5 minutes,just savoring these wonderful smells..and the Taste follows the nose ..this Beer is nothing short of Stellar, top notch and MUST be tried if you are a fan of the style...
I Think this is THE Highest score i Have gave on this site [BA] However Yuengling Summer Wheat deserves it in every way shape and form..A PERFECT Weizen Beer....just simply Amazing..WOW!!!

4.63/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

You might laugh at my score, but I truly believe this might be one of the best, true to traditional style German Weizen's ever brewed on US soil! Yes I said it, one of the best. I have been drinking Weizen's since the 1980's and have been to Germany 3 times, so I know what Hefe Weizen's are supposed to taste, look, smell and feel like. I have also drank my share of US versions and none stand up. If you are still laughing then at least do this, buy a 6 pack (they are cheep at about $6 to $8 a 6er). Do a blind test with a few of your favorite Weizen's and then you will see what I'm talking about.

Look: poured into Weizen glass, 7 finger foamy white head that soon forms a mound, then settles with nice lacing. Clear straw yellow color.
Smell: floral, Wheat, yeasty, fruity.
Taste: out of this world! Very wheaty and light bodied with hints of banana & vanilla. Almost no aftertaste.
Feel: like a true German Weizen should.
Overall: One of the best brewed in America.

4.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Man, just when you think that an old dog cannot be taught new tricks, America's Oldest Brewery reaches into their bag and pulls out a hefeweizen!

I did an agitation of the beer while still in the bottle before beginning my aggro pour and I still had some lees in the bottom when finished. I got about a finger of tawny head with moderate retention from the pour. Color was a cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose had the traditional bubble gum and banana esters, but the clove was really pronounced. Yay! This is usually achieved by fermenting under lager conditions, but I was assure that such was not the case. Call it serendipity, then, but I am all for it. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but it was the taste that I was really after. Sure, it evinced banana and bubble gum, but clove was the dominant flavor. I remember, as a kid, Clove Life Savers and this was quite reminiscent of them. Finish was semi-dry, refreshing and a perfect choice for a summer's day. I just wish that they would put it in CANs, but that is not forthcoming.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a vastly underrated bear.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have never been more pleased with an American wheat beer as I have been with this one. I am NOT taking any chances I bought 15 cases.This is an absolutely refreshing wheat beer that has a taste that just pops in your mouth with an incredible finish.if there was one word to describe this beer it would be smooth

4.59/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very hazy rich yellow color into a glass with a good head which dissipates rather quickly. The smell is definitely clove and banana. Initiial flavor is definitely overwhelmingly clove and banana as well, with a smooth banana finish. Very drinkable. Virtually no lacing to speak of. The feel is silky smooth and Overall I think that this is one of my favorite wheat brews for 2 reasons, the burst of in your face flavor and I can actually find it at some convenience stores when you can't find much else..

4.57/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Yuengling Summer Wheat - By far the best beer, all around, I have had in the longest of times. This wheat beer glows in the glass - glows - it's amazing. The hints of citrusy sweetness mixed with the wheat and hops is simply perfect. The brew has this thick, rich feel in your mouth - at just the right amount of carbonation, truly perfect in my book. I really enjoyed the this Yuengling, so much so, I had to try two just to make sure I was tasting what I was tasting. Sometimes you get some of the best surprises in life from the most unsuspecting of place - it's what makes life (and beer tasting) worth doing!

4.54/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite a surprise, no coriander or adjuncts here, just a clean good wheat beer.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

very good beer for the summer

Yuengling Summer Wheat from Yuengling Brewery