Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,668 | Ratings: 6,226
3.04/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Easily found in stores and bars in New Jersey. A favorite of my old man given its price and drinkability.
Look: Solid amber; thin head that disappears quickly.
Smell: slight hops and malt, can be skunky at times.
Taste: Subdued hops with some malty sweetness. A bit of grain as well. Slight but good aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light, a bit watery.
Overall: Nothing special, but better than other American lagers. Very consistent taste. Probably the best offering from the brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I admit, I really like this beer. Super refreshing, just everything right about it for my tastes. Color is amberish brown. Taste is very nice with a molasses finish. Taste does seem to hang around after swallow though. Carbonation is right on point. Not flat but not overly fizzy. Mouth feel isn't water thin but not Porter thick. Overall, one of my top 3 beers.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

Yuengling lager is an amazing beer.
Looks like a dark ale almost.
Smells/Tastes like beer, I mean it smells like floral hops. And malt.
When it gets warm from me taking a nap after reading too many reviews on BA, it is even better.
The hops and malt really start to shine and whatever yeast is in this comes forward. This is a hallmark of a nice German Bier. When I was in Germany for 30 months back in the day, I never knew you could enjoy beer at room temperature.
But it's true, some beer is actually better as it warms. Yuengling is one of them.
I got drunk for the 1st time on Bud swills er. But it tasted like warm vomit.
That Yuengling is so temperature tolerant, to me, is a real bonus.

Name me one other American Lager that tastes as good as it warms as Yuengling lager.

None I declare. Yuengling is simply good beer.

2.46/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I'm not really going to bother with a serious review here. There are really two types of situations I'd choose to drink Yuengling in: a bowling alley, and a cookout twenty years ago. It's a very basic, watery lager that gained tons of panache from being nostalgic and out of Rhode Island distro for a while. It came back, and it hasn't aged well.

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

All I drank for years. Cause I didn't know any better. Even sank to their premium. Grew up close by. Nice story to hear a local, old brewery succeed. From what I've seen, they have no ability whatsoever to brew a quality beer. Sad.

3.69/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer has a light amber color with a medium head. The smell is of sour grains and wheat. Taste is very smooth and i can get the taste of grain and corn with light hops and a malt aftertaste. The carbonation is on the lower side and this beer goes down very easily.

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look, there's not much to say about a beer that has been around as long as Yuengling. If you have a change to grab some when in the distribution area, then grab a 12 pack and enjoy. Likely not something worth trading a lot for unless you just never have a chance to buy some.

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%

There were 2 cans of this sitting in the fridge at my aunt's condo in Osprey (Siesta Key/Sarasota), FL when my wife and I arrived here earlier this evening to start our vacation. Now there's only one can. Poured into a standard pint glass, this beer pours a clear, medium amber color with a nice white head that's initially about 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured that eventually settles to a very big crescent shaped cluster swirl of foam that covers 80% of the beer's surface. Not too much lacing. Aromas of some slightly toasted, biscuit, caramel malt sweetness along with some fairly mild, earthy and piney hop bitterness notes. The taste is pretty much the same, with slightly toasted, somewhat biscuity, caramel malt sweetness followed by a bit of an earthy and slightly piney hop bitterness to round out the flavor profile. A very nice balance of the flavors, I just with everything wasn't dialed back here. The flavor profile needs to be stronger all around IMO. No off flavors of any kind or metallic adjunct flavors, etc. Just not a strong enough flavor profile overall for me. Has a crisp, yet smooth, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. A decently good beer all around here.

Eric

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Yuengling Traditional has a nice Amber color and smells strongly of hopps. It is lightly carbonated with a small foam head, about a half inch or so. It has a great taste, with the hopps coming first and an aftertaste of a smooth malt. This is my go to beer to keep around the house.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Oldest brewery in the country, I've heard, but this has been an under the radar beer in all the parts of the eastern US I've lived. I like the fact that the flagship beer is an amber ale instead of a lager.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pale orange in color with a yellow hue. Excellent clarity. Poured with a short, white foam with medium low retention. Medium light caramel malt, mild spicy hop and grainy maly aromas. Medium light bodied with a light creamy feel and medium carbonation. Light grainy malt flavor up front followed by caramel malt. Medium light hop bitterness through the middle along with a trace of spicy hop bite. Caramel malt flavors return near the end . Finished semi-dryly with sweet caramel malt note followed by light grainy malt aftertaste. Pretty easy drinking. A cult staple in PA.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

It looks wonderful. It smells amazing. I love the feel of this beer. The problem? It tastes like Grape soda and rancid ass. I do not like this beer's taste. I thought maybe it was the one I bought. So I bought a six pack. All of them tasted the same. Lame and pathetic. I know this beer has its fans, but sorry, I do not like this garbage.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

L: Reddish amber color not a whole lot of foam, less than an inch
S: Smells of malt and hops
T: Tastes as it smells
F: A little thicker than water, thinner than milk, lightly carbonated
O: One of the better lagers I've had, it's a shame they don't sell it outside of the east coast. I've only ever had it on tap, I assume it isn't as good from a can or bottle.

2.82/5  rDev -16.3%

to say this is bad is really not true. this is really like Light beer flavored water. nearly no taste. no aftertaste. no nothing. so if you like water with a little malt this is for you. I like beer. so not for me.

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I like to use the full 1-5 scale when reviewing beers, and this seems uncommon. But I like to know where each beer I've had sit against one another. This score might seem low, but compared to my scores for similar mass produced american lagers it might be generous. This is a pretty good beer, one you order, when for some reason, a restaurant has twelve American Lagers on the menu and nothing else. Drinks very very light and easy, there is a decent amount of color and flavor that the light body doesn't bother me all that much. Not overly hopped, the flavor seems to me heavy on barley and water.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on draught in a tavern. Poured into pint glass. It pours a clear amber color with a one-finger, milk-white head and lacing that persisted throughout the pour. It smelled of sweet malt, corn, and earthy peat. The taste largely follows the nose. It has a sweet malty flavor with a slightly malty flavor at the finish. This is a light ale, moderately carbonated, and highly sessionable with an ABV of only 4.5% Overall, it is an historic standby. It doesn't have a lot of taste but is an easy drinking East Coast lager.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Well refrigerated from a bottle. This beer has a really nice amber color and above average carbonation. This tastes like a solidly mainstream lager with lots of hops and mild malt flavors. Overall it feels heavier/fuller than many other lagers, but noticeably less alcohol than an IPA.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer I generally consumed in my 20's and early 30's.

Pours an amber to dark gold color with minimal head. Smell has a little grain to it and a hint of hops. Taste has an over layer of syrup to it but mostly is malt with a little corn and a finish with hops. The finish is clean and does not linger long. Mouthfeel is light, a small amount of carbonation. Overall a decent lager, certainly one I enjoyed earlier on and one that is nice to return to and take a break from craft beers for a while.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A good American beer still made in the USA. My standard beer for sports bars or anyplace that only offers American beers like Miller or Bud. I often buy the kegs for bbq's or parties. Good taste, not heavy.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark gold color with a decent head. Smells like grains and aromas of sweet maltiness. It tastes somewhat bland, with a light creamy and malt note, with a very modestly hoppy aftertaste. Taste is not bad at all. The mouthfeel is light and easy going. Overall, this is not a bad beer at all. For the price and level of availability, this should be a go to beer for starters who want a session beer. I would highly recommend this beer as one of the best of macro American adjuncts.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can from 6 pack - $6.75 locally

Honestly I love this beer and it's a simple go to for anyone looking for a cheaper lager to session with or to bring to a party that won't cause the beer snobs to scuff their noses upward at your choice.

Pours a brown red (on the darker side) and gives a unique smell of roasted malt and a subtle hoppiness that is truly unique to the lager style and does not have too much of a head even with straight pouring - lacing minimal. This beer is very flavourful but has a cheap syrupy feel to its malt character - generally you'll notice mostly malt and then a hint of corn and hops. The mouthfeel doesn't get overwhelmed by carbonation and there is more of a balance than other inexpensive lagers. Great choice.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

As a Pennsylvanian drinking Yuengling Traditional Lager is natural for me.
Look: Reddish brown (amber)
Smell: A little skunky (Bottle) Grainy from a can
Taste: Malt a little bit of hops
Feel: Medium thickness, carbonation
Overall: Very refreshing, can't go wrong with the lager. For some reason the can and bottle taste different probably due to the green bottle, I prefer the bottle over the can, because I think it has a stronger taste

This beer is what started the craft beer thing with me, so it does have a warm place in my heart. It pours an amber color, with a fairly thick head. There isn't much nose there. The taste circa 2005 blew me away. Today, it's still good, some malts, some hops, but I've tasted so much better. For what it is, it's good, and will always hold a special place in my heart. Whenever I'm in Yuengling land, I'll get some.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

So much better at it's price point than the competitors. 24 cans for 17.50. Yeah it's not gonna blow you away. Yeah it has corn in it. But cmon.. im paying around 72 cents per can, and it DOES taste good.

Far more "complex" than other adjuncts. A malty sweet flavor, a sort of creaminess, and a very slight hop bitterness. Was interesting to learn they use cascade as well as cluster (im sure in minuscule amounts) but it made sense as there is sort of that citrusy zing to it albeit very subdued.

Its not a great beer by any stretch, but its very solid and if price vs taste is taken into consideration, this is an incredible value beer.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery