Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,678 | Ratings: 6,292
2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

For a mass produced beer, not a bad beer. Better tasting than Bud or Miller and a definite golden color that defines this beers. Look, smell, taste and feel closer to Sam Adams than most mass produced.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer is the worst amber lager I've ever tried. It has very little flavour and what it has tastes musky, so it doesn't even have the iconic crisp taste of a lager. Of the cheap, commercial beers, this is a little bit better, but I still poured out the last half of the pint. I don't think I would reject this if handed to me, but I would never buy one again.

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L: bronze ... as much brown as red in it, giving it a dark gold hue; pushes up a thick head of tan foam; lots of activity in the glass, hundreds of bubbles flying up the column and creating a thick skin and 1/4-inch or more collar; some sticking and lacing, enough that I'm tempted to call this perfect ... it's a gorgeous beer

S: sour grain, sweet malt ... a little lemon peel; dates ... some kind of dried fruit but not overly dark

T: apricot with a slightly buttery finish ... loads of malt flavor, perhaps a little toasted malt; some bitter earthiness lingers in the background, but the hop bite is very minimal

F: lots of carbonation, but the head/skin of foam that you have to drink through softens it a bit; it's a mouth-filling lightweight

O: fantastic brew, plenty of taste, very easy drinking; I'd drink a lot of this if it were in my area ... reminds me of a good Vienna lager with the hop bite sucked out of it

I get a bit nostalgic when I drink Yuengling. Takes me back to my PA roots and it's one of the first beers - lagers I drank. I compare all other lagers to this one, as its an American classic. Pours a little bubbly and settles with a smaller head and little to no lacing. Bright amber-gold color with a reddish hue depending on the lighting. Standard lager aroma slightly hoppy, but mostly malty and the taste follows suit with a sweeter finish. Growing up as a young adult, this is what I thought all lagers should feel like, medium body, not heavy. Easily drinkable lager and refreshing too. BTW, I would not call for a Natl boycott of this lager jut because Mr. Yuengling happens to endorse a certain Presidential candidate. That's extreme.

2.91/5  rDev -13.6%

This is a decent beer; what can I say? There's a hint of metal in its taste, and its smell is not very distinctive. Still, it does have character for a mainstream beer.
I would definitely drink it if I got caught in one places where only a lager seems to be available.
I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: Hazy reddish amber, one finger head that rapidly disappears.

Smell: Faint aroma but nothing really stands out.

Taste: Good balance slight bitterness on the swallow.

Feel: Thin-ish with noticeable carbonation.

Overall: A great beer for when you just want to down a six pack.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

I know I've written notes on this beer before; I just haven't typed them up. So here are some brief impressions from a 24 fl oz can (my first time experiencing Yuengling was on-draught), but a full review will follow in future. Cost was $2.25 at a Brooklyn bodega.

Pours a clear clean gold body and a frothy off-white head. ~6cm of foam takes ~10 minutes to fully recede, leaving no lacing.

Aroma has a subtle toasted malt undertone and a classic clean lager yeast strain. Vague fruit accents the bready amber malt aroma nicely. Not your typical budget lager, Yuengling's aroma promises a brew with body and flavour - not just watery pilsner malts. Aromatic intensity is average. As it comes to temperature, I get some slight spiciness - perhaps from Saaz or just from the yeast.

The taste doesn't quite deliver on the aroma, and the beer is a bit thinner than the aroma suggested, but it does have a surprising amount of body for a budget lager as well as decent complexity of flavour, replete with a subtle spiciness, some faint herbal hop notes, and an amber and pilsner malt backbone. A bit too slick and smooth on the palate, never taking time to let its flavours sink in, but it's not egregiously overcarbonated like many beers at this budget tier nor is it syrupy and thick like the malt liquors it tends to sit adjacent to on store shelves.

Overall, I find it balanced albeit shallow and simple, though a step or two above its macroproducing competition. I'll easily destroy the 24 fl oz can, and this is the kind of beer I'd be happy to order by the pitcher whilst devouring buffalo wings or cheap pizza with friends. It won't dazzle discerning drinkers, but it has its place as a casual brew that's priced right and offers more flavour and body than comparable alternatives. A crowd pleasing inoffensive beer that makes for a good go-to at bars and eateries with an otherwise limited selection.

C (2.90) / AVERAGE

***
2016.11.03 impression on-draught @ a bar in Brooklyn.

Refreshing, perfectly medium-bodied, smooth, wet, coating, and adequately soft.

Drinkable enjoyable fare with no overt faults. A likable lager fit for pairing with pizza or a casual burger-and-fries type meal. Solid dependable fare.

C+ / ABOVE AVERAGE

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 22-oz. draft
Glass: Clear pint glass
From: Logan’s Roadhouse in Mobile, Ala.
Price: $5.99
Purchased: Sept. 30, 2016
Consumed: Sept. 30, 2016
Reviewed as: American Amber / Red Lager
Misc.: N/A

Had this many times, including a keg of it back for New Year’s Eve in 2002. Used to think it was good, but recently didn’t enjoy it according to Untappd. First time reviewing it.

Poured a reddish brown amber color with two fingers of grayish frothy head. Could see a few bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Minimal foggy lacing. Average retention. (Sight - 3.25)

Smelled boozy lager notes up front, followed by roasty malts, nuts, amber malts, toasted caramel, toffee and plum. (Smell - 3.25)

Tasted a touch better than the nose. Nutty malts, caramel, roasty malts, toffee and plum. (Taste - 3.50)

Medium body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Roasty finish. (Feel - 3.25)

This was an OK beer when reviewing it. I may have underrated it just at ad. (Overall - 3.25)

3.35 | 77 | B-

This is a pretty good lager.. quite a bit of flavor for an American adjunct beer.... however, what is up with the 4.5% ABV... really? Is this a light beer? Gimme a break.

2.86/5  rDev -15.1%

One of those dark lagers huh. The aroma is nothing to be proud of, I smell lots of alcohol despite this beer being only four and a half percent.

This is a smooth nutty lager, very little yeast presence, very little hop presence, and a small amount of malt presence. Easy enough to drink, a small dark fruit like bitterness that I guess is attributable to the yeast. This stuff is everywhere on the eastern seaboard. I'd be ok if I never drank it again.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Nothing particularly special with this beer. In all honesty my ratings could probably be a bit lower (small bit lower) but are inflated a bit from nostalgia. The beer I keep stocked in my fridge because it is a good 'cheap' beer in my area. Not much to add that hasn't already been said other than I agree that it taste better as it warms. I usually buy the bottles from Costco and keep them in my basement storeroom (the very definition of a cool dry place) and often times will forgo what's in my fridge to drink those.

3.04/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Easily found in stores and bars in New Jersey. A favorite of my old man given its price and drinkability.
Look: Solid amber; thin head that disappears quickly.
Smell: slight hops and malt, can be skunky at times.
Taste: Subdued hops with some malty sweetness. A bit of grain as well. Slight but good aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light, a bit watery.
Overall: Nothing special, but better than other American lagers. Very consistent taste. Probably the best offering from the brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I admit, I really like this beer. Super refreshing, just everything right about it for my tastes. Color is amberish brown. Taste is very nice with a molasses finish. Taste does seem to hang around after swallow though. Carbonation is right on point. Not flat but not overly fizzy. Mouth feel isn't water thin but not Porter thick. Overall, one of my top 3 beers.

2.46/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I'm not really going to bother with a serious review here. There are really two types of situations I'd choose to drink Yuengling in: a bowling alley, and a cookout twenty years ago. It's a very basic, watery lager that gained tons of panache from being nostalgic and out of Rhode Island distro for a while. It came back, and it hasn't aged well.

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

All I drank for years. Cause I didn't know any better. Even sank to their premium. Grew up close by. Nice story to hear a local, old brewery succeed. From what I've seen, they have no ability whatsoever to brew a quality beer. Sad.

3.69/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer has a light amber color with a medium head. The smell is of sour grains and wheat. Taste is very smooth and i can get the taste of grain and corn with light hops and a malt aftertaste. The carbonation is on the lower side and this beer goes down very easily.

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look, there's not much to say about a beer that has been around as long as Yuengling. If you have a change to grab some when in the distribution area, then grab a 12 pack and enjoy. Likely not something worth trading a lot for unless you just never have a chance to buy some.

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%

There were 2 cans of this sitting in the fridge at my aunt's condo in Osprey (Siesta Key/Sarasota), FL when my wife and I arrived here earlier this evening to start our vacation. Now there's only one can. Poured into a standard pint glass, this beer pours a clear, medium amber color with a nice white head that's initially about 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured that eventually settles to a very big crescent shaped cluster swirl of foam that covers 80% of the beer's surface. Not too much lacing. Aromas of some slightly toasted, biscuit, caramel malt sweetness along with some fairly mild, earthy and piney hop bitterness notes. The taste is pretty much the same, with slightly toasted, somewhat biscuity, caramel malt sweetness followed by a bit of an earthy and slightly piney hop bitterness to round out the flavor profile. A very nice balance of the flavors, I just with everything wasn't dialed back here. The flavor profile needs to be stronger all around IMO. No off flavors of any kind or metallic adjunct flavors, etc. Just not a strong enough flavor profile overall for me. Has a crisp, yet smooth, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. A decently good beer all around here.

Eric

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Yuengling Traditional has a nice Amber color and smells strongly of hopps. It is lightly carbonated with a small foam head, about a half inch or so. It has a great taste, with the hopps coming first and an aftertaste of a smooth malt. This is my go to beer to keep around the house.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Oldest brewery in the country, I've heard, but this has been an under the radar beer in all the parts of the eastern US I've lived. I like the fact that the flagship beer is an amber ale instead of a lager.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pale orange in color with a yellow hue. Excellent clarity. Poured with a short, white foam with medium low retention. Medium light caramel malt, mild spicy hop and grainy maly aromas. Medium light bodied with a light creamy feel and medium carbonation. Light grainy malt flavor up front followed by caramel malt. Medium light hop bitterness through the middle along with a trace of spicy hop bite. Caramel malt flavors return near the end . Finished semi-dryly with sweet caramel malt note followed by light grainy malt aftertaste. Pretty easy drinking. A cult staple in PA.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

It looks wonderful. It smells amazing. I love the feel of this beer. The problem? It tastes like Grape soda and rancid ass. I do not like this beer's taste. I thought maybe it was the one I bought. So I bought a six pack. All of them tasted the same. Lame and pathetic. I know this beer has its fans, but sorry, I do not like this garbage.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

L: Reddish amber color not a whole lot of foam, less than an inch
S: Smells of malt and hops
T: Tastes as it smells
F: A little thicker than water, thinner than milk, lightly carbonated
O: One of the better lagers I've had, it's a shame they don't sell it outside of the east coast. I've only ever had it on tap, I assume it isn't as good from a can or bottle.

2.82/5  rDev -16.3%

to say this is bad is really not true. this is really like Light beer flavored water. nearly no taste. no aftertaste. no nothing. so if you like water with a little malt this is for you. I like beer. so not for me.

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I like to use the full 1-5 scale when reviewing beers, and this seems uncommon. But I like to know where each beer I've had sit against one another. This score might seem low, but compared to my scores for similar mass produced american lagers it might be generous. This is a pretty good beer, one you order, when for some reason, a restaurant has twelve American Lagers on the menu and nothing else. Drinks very very light and easy, there is a decent amount of color and flavor that the light body doesn't bother me all that much. Not overly hopped, the flavor seems to me heavy on barley and water.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery