Yuengling Traditional Lager

Yuengling Traditional LagerYuengling Traditional Lager
Notes:
Reviews: 1,802 | Ratings: 6,890
3.9/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours amber with a 1 inch white head. Heavy lacing. Minimal carbonation.

Aroma is floral, piney, malty, earthy.

Tastes of caramel malts, cascade hops, cluster hops. Slight sweetness. Moderate bitterness.

Medium bodied, semi-sweet finish.

One of the better low price lagers, not bland and tasteless like most.

1.28/5  rDev -62.6%

I do not know what Yuengling did to this beer.
When it first debuted in the ole 2 prong kegs it was a fantastic brew with a wonderful toasted bread aroma with similar flavor characteristics.
Nowadays I can not drink it. Well, I can but won't.
To me it tastes like stale fermented pond water with a similar smell.
I think Yuengling got too big for their britches and their product suffers from being brewed at different locations.
What used to be a decent local specialty beer is now a mass produced glass of garbage.
The only beer Yuengling makes that is worse is the light version of this.
Locals drink this swill like it is mothers milk. I do not understand.

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Amidst the sea of nondescript corporate swill, Yuengling stands tall and proud. Probably the only big brewery in America left that is relatively dependent. But does their beer live up to that standard of quality? Yes it does. There is a certain biscuit-y sweetness to the lager, however it possesses it's own unique taste that I can't exactly pinpoint at this time. It does go down smooth but at the same time, it doesn't sacrifice the taste of the beer! This has always been my go-to American lager beer, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%

Despite the 3.5 rating, "Lager", as we order it in Philly, is my go to if it's around and I'm just having a beer. From drinking quarts of this stuff while polishing off two cheesesteaks as a delinquent youth to sipping a tall can after a long tennis match in my early 40s, Yuengling is a lot of nostalgia for any PA boy for sure. Some tell me it's too dark. Others tell me it's too skunk especially if you buy it from the Chinese store on the corner, but Yuengling is a great beer not in any sort of craft or artistic sense, but as a regular beer, it is tops. Easy drinking and full of flavor, bartender pour me one of these before any of that Bud lite or coors garbage. It is also America's oldest sipper, which is A ok in my book being a God fearing lover of my country. Over countless Eagles games and steaks and crab legs, this beer has been there. Oh Lager how I love you. The 3.5 rating is a bit more realistic than my feelings for this beer. Some tell me it is complete trash, but those are usually IPA junkies. Is an IPA even beer? Order a lager and sip it down. Salud!

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep amber, bordering on red with a thick and foamy white head, that persists as a nice rocky cloud.
Smell is faint and lightly grainy.
Taste is very grain forward with a heavy dose of caramel malt. Minimal hop presence.
Mouthfeel is nice, full bodied with a nice crisp finish. Very easy drinking.
Overall this is beer. Lots of grain character, little to no hop presence, and easy to take down by the pounder.

4.47/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

This is was one of the first beers I had ever tried and it will forever be one of my favorites. The amber color, the malty sweetness and just the right amount of crisp hop finish. It doesn’t matter if it’s from a can, bottle, or on tap, it will always be good.

3.54/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle at Portofino in Middletown.

The nose is mildly hoppy and with a mild toast and caramel character. Clean and with a carbonic accent. The palate is clean and while unexciting, well done with a mild bitterness, a mild make flavor and crisp carbonation that's perfect for hot East Coast beach days

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

14+ years on this site and I never reviewed this? That needs to be changed! No, this isn't going to win any awards and it's not the first American Amber / Red Lager that I'd reach for but let's face it - this is a classic and holds a special place in American brewing history. Those in Pennsylvania expect to get this when they order a "lager" in a bar but the rest of us know that this is just a classic that hasn't changed in decades, in spite of changing tastes...

This came in a green bottle and generally, I distrust brews that are packaged that way but this was still better than it's European macro counterparts. Clear, ruddy brown, and topped off with enough head, this had a nice appearance as this was this beer's best aspect by a mile. Very few soapy spots were left behind on the side of my pint glass as the thinness of the liquid became quite apparent. Loads of green apple, pear, bread, sweet malt, and caramel on the nose as the taste contained all of those as well. Light, balanced, and nicely carbonated, this went down so easily, but not completely mindlessly. Grass emerged in the aftertaste as this went down surprisingly easily without leaving much of an impression or aftertaste, aside from some break and bubbly effervescence on the palate...

Booze? Oh, it's here somewhere but I didn't find it - not even at the bottom of my glass. As a reviewer below stated, this beer calls for...another Yuengling and if there was ever anything that should come in six-packs, this would be it. Not the first beer I'd reach for but the cloying mouthfeel, smooth flavor profile and easy drinkability of this ensured that it would always hold a special place in my heart. Like any classic, this deserves to live forever - one session at a time.

3.69/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Haven’t had this beer in a while (at least 10 years) but finally found it in a store. Still tasty. Pours a darker amber color with lots of fluffy white head and some spotty lingering lacing. Smells of malt, caramel, roasted nuttiness, toast and some mild grain. Taste follows the nose. Good balance and depth. Very smooth, rich flavors and mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Very enjoyable beer.

4.08/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This is a go to beer for me. I live on the east coast of the US. This is good stuff. Rich amber color. Nice head and lacing retention. Great on tap everywhere I've had it. It may not be world class but for what it is it's great.

3.87/5  rDev +13.2%

This is like the Shiner of the east coast and this is probably my favorite easy drinking beer and my favorite part of traveling. Very relaxing taste, I just wish it was available in Texas.

4.12/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

L: nice golden amber with moderate head and lace
S: front end hop but with mild back end
T: great balance not overpowering on the hops
F: smooth feel that slides soothingly down
O: very nicely done

2.82/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Hmm, this brew is odd. The carbonation almost looks added? Poured into glass with practically no head or lacing left behind. Smells of caramel and molasses, not bad. Taste is where it shines, but not very bright. Very thin and drinkable. Subtle hints of caramel and biscuit. Overall, pretty disappointing but much better than likes of Miller or PBR.

4.27/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I've been drinking this beer off and on for years The one thing I can say is that it is really easy to drink has good color goes over the tongue real smooth and great nice and cold. You really can't get a better beer for the price.

3.76/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a bottle into a teku glass.

A: clear copper, 1 finger white head dissipating to a thin white lacing.

S: clean, roasted malt. Faint grassy hops.

T: similar to nose. Roasted malt dominates and provides a caramel forward flavor without being sweet. Light hop finish follows on the palate. Balanced.

M: thin body but medium carbonation makes this an easy drinker

O: refreshing, easy to drink, malt forward but not sweet. A fantastic beer from America's oldest independent brewery. Worthy of respect and a big step up from the big 3.

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a bottle. Clear amber color with beige head. Sweet caramel malt smell. Medium feel. Tastes of malty sweetness and corn. Marginally better than the macro beers, but not something I'd get again.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color with a two finger head. The head dissipates moderately with some lacing. The smell is sweet and malty. I detect an apple aroma. The taste is bitter, malty, and not too complex. I do detect a mild caramel taste. It has a smooth and creamy feel.

3.01/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours amber with off white head. It's medium bodied. The flavor is where the real issues begin and continue. There's a very putrid corny grainy character that you get in other cheaply made beers like Bud Light. I used to not think that this beer was bad, but it is really bad and I avoid it at all costs.

3.51/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber pour
Smells like an amber lager (biscuit, caramel, etc)
Tastes like an amber lager with those same flavors
Goes down pretty smooth due to it being pretty light
Overall, I definitely prefer this over the Yuengling Light. Much more taste and a little more alcohol in it makes it tastes much less watery than the light. Will have this on occasion if I have to, but definitely not going out of my way to buy a pack at a store.

3.22/5  rDev -5.8%

On tap...

Pours clear amber with a nice off-white head.

The aromas are classic toasted amber lager. Nice biscuit toasted "smells" with caramel malts present.

The flavor is somewhat neutral and "safe," but has a pleasing sweet, toasty smoothness.

Very drinkable and sessionable, the brew has a light to medium body and good carbonation. A little lacking at the finish.

Overall, a solid macro brew that exceeds the usual suspects on tap in almost every respect.

3.27/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had at small outdoor restaurant on draft on Lido Beach, Tampa. Drinkable lager, although I’m not much of a lager guy. Probably get again for beach libations.

3.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So I’m pocketing some airline minis at the liquor store and my best mate Gordon Blevins sidles up next to me, still smelling vaguely of last night (beefaroni and Mario Kart at Bev and Barb’s). He reaches into the 9th pocket of his JNCOs and hands me something I’d only heard about in the moist fug of Pennsylvanian lore: a Yuengling Lager. We get back to the single-wide and I throw the minis to my adopted grandson Brogan to help him power through his remedial English homework then crank the cap off my Lager.

I’m not entirely sure what happens next. I’m looking at my wood-paneled world through a copper-hued filter; Foghat’s “Slow Ride” is playing in the ether like a half-remembered dream, and I’m pretty sure a gentle trickle is running down the leg of my Jordache jeans. When the rush of that first swig subsides, I settle onto my gym dolly (Rent-A-Center repo’d the couch yesterday) and drink ’til it’s done.

Pours the color of a classy honey bbq wing. Cluster and cascade hops slide into your DMs like Drake into… your DMs. If you have a son aged 0-100 he’ll be proud of what you’ve done for your country.

2.42/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

It has a nice rich amber color which is most likely the result of artificial coloring. It produced a nice head. The favor was lighter than I expected and the hops were equally light. Overall the taste and drinking experience was comparable to Heineken. Not bad, but I hoped for better. I want to try the new Yuengling Pils.

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

If you like a hoppy lager, then this is your brew. A nice amber color gives the impression that this was the taste of beer pre-prohibition. Consistent flavor from first bottle to last. Speaking of bottles, doesn’t beer taste a little better when poured from green glass(except for Mickey’s). Enjoy!

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm a fan of the Yuengling family of brews. This to me is a damn fine lager. Tastes like a macro produced lager, which many will pan, but I've been drinking these for decades. A well above average brew, just not outstanding.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery