Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Ratings: 6,517 |  Reviews: 1,726
Reviews by MoGuitarNthemonitor:
3.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%

America's version of the Pilsner Urquell. The Peroni. Heineken. Tuborg, Stiegl.

A beer you can drink all-day. Or only have one.

Drinkable in all weather. Out in the blistering sun or by the fireplace during winter.

A beer that no one is unhappy to be drinking. Acceptable to beer snobs. Acceptable to non-beer drinkers.

As cheap as other domestics but better in every regard.

Won't induce a hangover, but can certainly end one.

More than the sum of its parts.

It's the Toyota Camry of beers.

Makes buying beer for large parties very easy.

I could go on but you get the idea.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass. The green bottle might be skunky, so my review will be reflecting this.

Pours a clear amber with lots of bubbly streams of carbonation and a finger of off white head. The aroma offers green grass, sweet corn, brown sugary grain, and toasted biscuit.
Caramel, toast, and corn hit the tongue, followed by green apple, faint earth, lots of freshly clipped grass, and a touch of lemon to balance things out. Quite crisp and clean--except for a touch too much of caramel sweetness, this is near pilsner level of sessionability.
The mouthfeel is light, but not thin or watery, and well carbonated. Very easy to throw back.

Though I don't drink this one much anymore, this was an old favorite, an introduction to craft beer, and still remains one of the best cheap, widely available craft lagers on the market.

4.11/5  rDev +20.5%

This isn't a beer I pour, smell, allow to warm (deliberately), or make a big fuss about the countless aspects of its flavor, because I didn't pay $10 for 6 beers. Although, I will say the bottles taste better than cans, justifying the whole $.20 price difference. I digress. Whether I'm on a lake bank tossing out a line, floating in a canoe sweating them out faster than I drink them, running a beer pong table, or on my porch playing guitar, Yuengling fails to disappoint. It doesn't taste like carbonated water, and it doesn't have the calories of a steak dinner. Right in the middle. Crisp, refreshing, affordable, flavorful, and pairs well with anything (especially another Yuengling). This was the first beer I had without the word "light" behind it when I was (non incriminating) years old. It opened my eyes to a world of beer beyond Bud, Miller, and Coor's, so I'm slightly biased on this one. Regardless, if you haven't tried it, give it a swig. There's nothing fancy or gimmicky about it. Just a solid, tasty beer. This is my "go to" when I don't want to spend more money on a sixer of something I end up hating. Cheers!

2.9/5  rDev -15%

If I have to drink shitty commercial macro-beer, it's a Yuengling every time.

It has a slight Cheez-its aftertaste that's a bit off-putting when it's warm. But when it's cold it's entirely decent.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous beer. Tastes better than most mass produced lagers out there. Never offensive and at this low abv it's totally crushable. Not a bad choice when nothing but AAL are available.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

3.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I remember when I first started drinking beer, Yuengling was considered a top shelf beer. I was drinking whatever the bar would sell me out of the backdoor since I was too young to drive, let alone buy beer.
Now, we have much more variety of more expensive beer to pick from.

But you know, these days, money is sometimes hard to come by. Thus I still drink Yuengling products. All I can find. I think this comes closest to what beer might have been like "back in the day" Whatever that day was, I don't know.
Drink drink drink and be merry!

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

The most American of all beers, its amber color add a different feel and more unique test then most lagers. Really like this beer out of can, bottle and tap! Great go to beer for gatherings, tailgates or yard work cooling off periods. Cant get where i live, but having buddies bring back to me from other states in bulk is a must

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%

Dark amber in color with a thick 2 finger head that quickly dissipated.
Malty, grassy and bready in the aroma. Good amount of carbonation gives that prickley bite on the end of your tongue. Taste is sweet malts, grass, bread and light hop presence. This to me is just a good representation of the style. Smooth well balanced and very drinkable. Not a world class beer, but in my opinion, a very enjoyable Good beer!

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Look: Two fingers of creamy white head has some surprisingly good retention. Color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pretty active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and toasted grains.

Taste: More of the same but a slight metallic bite on the finish.

Feel: Light to medium in body. Pretty chewy for a lager.

Overall: This was a bit of a weird whale for me. Living in Colorado this beer isn't in distro out here and I always oddly wanted to try it. So I got a sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and pleasantly enjoyed it. Hope it makes it to Colorado sooner rather than later. Thumbs up.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

12 fl oz. can, no apparent canned on date. My first encounter with a can of Yuengling, gifted to me from a friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice coppery amber body- a touch darker than I expected. About a finger and a half of frothy off-white head. Leaves some good sticky scattered lacing behind. Looks good, considering it's reputation.

S - A creamy, grainy, almost doughy sort of aroma. Sweet & malty, to be sure. Some brown bread perhaps, and maybe just a slight note of floral alcohol / metallics.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweetened, creamy, & grainy all around. Toasty & nutty, with a bit of bready malts and brown bread. A bit of traditional doughy earthy yeast in there as well.

M - The feel is crisp, smooth, & creamy. A nice dry, yeasty finish. Medium-light bodied, but drinkable and quenching.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my first can of this stuff. I would rank it right up there with Samuel Adams Boston Lager in terms of flavor and drinkability. This one is packing a lot of flavor for a low abv. Would love to get more of this stuff.

Yuengling Traditional Lager -----4/5.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

June 8, 2015

12 oz bottle, pils glass

A – Light to medium amber and very clear, with just a bit of chill haze. Slightly off-white head, less than a centimeter, dissipates quickly.

S – A lot of lightly baked bread crust, with a touch of caramel and grainy sweetness. Herbal hop aroma is mild but present, and slightly spicy/peppery. Very clean.

T – Bread crust, grainy, a touch of graham cracker, caramel. Hops are herbal, slightly floral, and the peppery note is here as well. Almost a rye-like spice.

M – Medium-high carbonation, well attenuated, and very dry throughout. Medium body. Very mild hop bitterness on the finish.

O – After drinking so many “big” beers, it’s easy to forget the joy of a well-made lager. These guys are some of the best. An excellent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a drinkable, but not exceptional lager. Good beer for when you are having more than one and a good change of pace beer when you need a break from some heavy IPA....First time rating it, had it many times before...

3.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Medium clear amber color with a 3 finger white head. Nose is a faint bread yeast. This reminded me of the smell from being outside the HS Bakery in Fells Point, Baltimore. Sweet on the tip of the tongue, malt and the faintest of hops. Moderate carbonation and body. This is the most drinkable of the American non-craft beers and the only one I will drink. No Miller, Coors or Bud passes over my tongue. And . . . this is an independent, not part of a international mega corp like Bud. When I have a party and do not want to waste good craft beer on non-caring beer drinkers, I serve this. Great with wings, steamed crabs and 'cue.

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look, there's not much to say about a beer that has been around as long as Yuengling. If you have a change to grab some when in the distribution area, then grab a 12 pack and enjoy. Likely not something worth trading a lot for unless you just never have a chance to buy some.

3.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I live in Kentucky, so my options on are limited! However I lived in Munich for a time that made me appreciate beer a lot more! I was a beer guy prior to living there, but was ignorant on what made a truly great beer! A neighbor handed me one of these (actually 3) and I was amazed at how it reminded me of beers that I had drank in Germany! A true lager, which is what I tend to look for! And this beer for the price is truly exceptional for my taste. Sadly it is a regional beer only available in a few states! But some of those states border Kentucky! ROAD TRIP!

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

This really is a Budweiser killer. A real German lager, not heavy or remarkable, but without the watery, low malt seltzer appeal of Bud in a can. Very consistent, even though I haven't lived in PA for 25+ years, every year have a couple of cases brought back when family visits. Solid cookout beer, good to server your close friends.

L: A bit darker and more beery than the big red, white and blue beer. Decent head on pour, moderate bubble size, attractive without exceptional quality.

S: Like most, a bit skunky by the time I get it, but not bad, and after a minute or two good beer smells, bit of hops, bit of malt. Lets you know you are drinking beer.

T: Solid day drinker. Nothing you sit around a discuss with friends, but not drain pour. No exceptional pairing, goes pretty well with pizza or burgers.

F: Thin as expected. A quick drinking beer, not one to force you to ponder it.

O: Again, you gotta give some thing a bit more than the average of their parts. the experience of the beer, and the consistency and the history of the brewery, rate a 4 in my book.

1.24/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Being a native to Pennsylvania this beer is available on tap or in bottles/cans just about anywhere that sells beer. This is honestly some of the most over-rated piss-poor beers to be produced on a cellular level.

This beer only looks appetizing to drink... It has a gorgeous amber color to it but you can literally see right through it. Head is gone after 30 seconds or less.

To me I get the scent of corn and for some reason burnt hair, I get this regardless of any serving type. It could be on tap, bottle, can, you name it... It stinks to me.

The scent is similar to it's taste, like corn... And it kind of tastes like how a restroom at McDonalds smells in the summer time. It also leaves an off-taste of metal and fish when burped after consuming.

There is way too much carbonation going on in this beer. Depending on the glass this beer can often look like a watered down Cola of some sort.

This beer sucks something awful. When people bring cases of it to my house for parties, I make sure they take the leftovers with them!

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

Yuengling Traditional has a nice Amber color and smells strongly of hopps. It is lightly carbonated with a small foam head, about a half inch or so. It has a great taste, with the hopps coming first and an aftertaste of a smooth malt. This is my go to beer to keep around the house.

3.32/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Clear, amber with a white head, about a single finger head

S: Bready and grainy smell

T: Sweet and caramel notes. Smooth.

M: This is where I have to knock the beer. I am not sure where "aftertaste" falls but this beers aftertaste is particularly offensive to my personal palate. That being said, I drink it faster because each sip temporarily relieves the problem. Medium body.

O: This beer is a party pleaser as it is inexpensive to purchase and many people like it. I find I order it often when meeting places that serve Miller/Bud products and Yuengling, which seems to be a lot of places.

I'm rating this beer against its competitors. This is a standard beer and much better than bud or coors or miller and all the others. When buying a 24 pack for a group of friends coming over this is the best and I have rated as such. 5 across the board. Of course when looking for something with character this is not it, but I don't think they were competing with them. You need to rate this beer according to what they were going for.

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L- The beer pours a crystal clear amber with a fluffy 2 and a half finger white head. The head recedes to a thin ring leaving spotty lacing behind.
S- The nose is restrained, but made up primarily of malt sweetness.
T- Similar to the nose. Primarily a lightly sweet caramel presence. Hops restrain the sweetness to a point, but are ultimately overwhelmed. A bit of metallic undertone from the can detracts slightly.
F- Mouthfeel is light bordering on watery. Carbonation is moderate a prickly. A beer designed to be consumed in multiples.
O- A better beer on draft than from the can. As large mass produced lagers go this one is high up on my list with SA Boston Lager. A good choice where craft options are limited.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery