Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,680 |  Reviews: 1,754
Reviews by Skibum61:
3.5/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%

America's version of the Pilsner Urquell. The Peroni. Heineken. Tuborg, Stiegl.

A beer you can drink all-day. Or only have one.

Drinkable in all weather. Out in the blistering sun or by the fireplace during winter.

A beer that no one is unhappy to be drinking. Acceptable to beer snobs. Acceptable to non-beer drinkers.

As cheap as other domestics but better in every regard.

Won't induce a hangover, but can certainly end one.

More than the sum of its parts.

It's the Toyota Camry of beers.

Makes buying beer for large parties very easy.

I could go on but you get the idea.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

MMm. A sentimental favorite - I first encountered this one on a Pennsylvania road trip about fifteen years ago, before Craft Brewing has reached the happy condition of these modern times, when it was a bit more difficult to find brews that showed off a local character.

Back in the day, I thought more highly of Yuengling than I do today - it still hasn't lost its starting position if I find myself somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard.

As with some others in this category, I find that Yuengling can finish a bit too far on the sweet end of the scale, and doesn't really have enough character to sustain interest beyond a nostalgic "Yep, I'm in Orlando, gimme a Yuengling" first beer.

But it is certainly refreshing.

3.39/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass. The green bottle might be skunky, so my review will be reflecting this.

Pours a clear amber with lots of bubbly streams of carbonation and a finger of off white head. The aroma offers green grass, sweet corn, brown sugary grain, and toasted biscuit.
Caramel, toast, and corn hit the tongue, followed by green apple, faint earth, lots of freshly clipped grass, and a touch of lemon to balance things out. Quite crisp and clean--except for a touch too much of caramel sweetness, this is near pilsner level of sessionability.
The mouthfeel is light, but not thin or watery, and well carbonated. Very easy to throw back.

Though I don't drink this one much anymore, this was an old favorite, an introduction to craft beer, and still remains one of the best cheap, widely available craft lagers on the market.

4.11/5  rDev +20.5%

This isn't a beer I pour, smell, allow to warm (deliberately), or make a big fuss about the countless aspects of its flavor, because I didn't pay $10 for 6 beers. Although, I will say the bottles taste better than cans, justifying the whole $.20 price difference. I digress. Whether I'm on a lake bank tossing out a line, floating in a canoe sweating them out faster than I drink them, running a beer pong table, or on my porch playing guitar, Yuengling fails to disappoint. It doesn't taste like carbonated water, and it doesn't have the calories of a steak dinner. Right in the middle. Crisp, refreshing, affordable, flavorful, and pairs well with anything (especially another Yuengling). This was the first beer I had without the word "light" behind it when I was (non incriminating) years old. It opened my eyes to a world of beer beyond Bud, Miller, and Coor's, so I'm slightly biased on this one. Regardless, if you haven't tried it, give it a swig. There's nothing fancy or gimmicky about it. Just a solid, tasty beer. This is my "go to" when I don't want to spend more money on a sixer of something I end up hating. Cheers!

3.89/5  rDev +14.1%

In my opinion Yuengling is the beer to go for if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a beer. It's cheap and it tastes good enough to be happy. It has the average abv, has an average color and feel, the flavor is definitely better than average and a ton better than a light beer. Buy it. Enjoy it. Be happy.

Best draft beer in a frosted mug I have had in a long time, this stuff is amazing... a beer that tastes like a beer should after a long hot day in the garage, no funny stuff, no funny smells, pure creamy goodness.

1.24/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Being a native to Pennsylvania this beer is available on tap or in bottles/cans just about anywhere that sells beer. This is honestly some of the most over-rated piss-poor beers to be produced on a cellular level.

This beer only looks appetizing to drink... It has a gorgeous amber color to it but you can literally see right through it. Head is gone after 30 seconds or less.

To me I get the scent of corn and for some reason burnt hair, I get this regardless of any serving type. It could be on tap, bottle, can, you name it... It stinks to me.

The scent is similar to it's taste, like corn... And it kind of tastes like how a restroom at McDonalds smells in the summer time. It also leaves an off-taste of metal and fish when burped after consuming.

There is way too much carbonation going on in this beer. Depending on the glass this beer can often look like a watered down Cola of some sort.

This beer sucks something awful. When people bring cases of it to my house for parties, I make sure they take the leftovers with them!

2.9/5  rDev -15%

If I have to drink shitty commercial macro-beer, it's a Yuengling every time.

It has a slight Cheez-its aftertaste that's a bit off-putting when it's warm. But when it's cold it's entirely decent.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue I:

This is the oldest brewery in America and adored by college students all across the Atlantic, from Florida to New York. We are talking cult status, where the Northeast would be a viable market, yet there is still no interest from the brewery. Go figure.

Not much in the head department as it drops down to a very thin ring of lace. Clear and amber in color. Slight hop aroma of citrus and rough herb, malt is a little wet and vaguely toasted in the nose. Big on crispness with a moderate body and slick mouthfeel. Hop bitterness is a little rough around the edges, a trait of Cluster hops and the Cascade hops drop a quick kiss of citrus on the palate. Grainy but sweet and grassy throughout from the malt character. Finishes semi-dry with a pretty clean after taste.

Decent drinking, we look to this beer as a filler to switch things up. All in all, at least a step or two above most mass-produced lagers.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous beer. Tastes better than most mass produced lagers out there. Never offensive and at this low abv it's totally crushable. Not a bad choice when nothing but AAL are available.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

Hands Down Yuengling Traditional Lager is my Favorite American Beer. Balanced perfectly, while I think Original Sam Adams is too bitter. The Alcohol content is lower than most American Beers, which makes is more enjoyable in my opinion. I first Discovered this beer while stopping over at PHL airport, and 10 years later, I was finally able to drink it again while working in the USA. I believe its taste balance of mild bitters and sweetness with the perfect amount of carbonation makes it superior to the fizz water of the Mega American Beer Companies produce. Anytime in the eastern US, it is my Beer of choice everytime.

4.33/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to beer as it is fairly cheap. I prefer it in bottles as it seems to be slightly more bitter this way. Anyone else with that experience? Maybe it’s just slightly skunked haha. It’s interesting enough and goes well with most foods. Best beer for the money here in northern Alabama. Everything about this beer is solid from the amber color to just how refreshing it is in a hot day.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

One of the best around for price and style. A winner. Glad it's more well-distributed regionally now. I understand that the formula was changed a few years back, though. The Yeungling I drank during trips to Pennsylvania over ten years ago seemed more like an aal

Hands down the best beer ever. I've had countless microbrews and domestics and there is no contest; Yuengling has the best drinkability and flavor of any beer available in the United States. If anyone rates this beer less than a 5 they're a beer snob and you should dismiss their opinion and try it for yourself.

3.99/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A solid, longtime PA staple lager. When compared to most of the adjunct lagers people drink, you can pick it out of the lineup. Pours with a moderate head, dissipates quickly, and for a lager, very easy to drink. Best paired (in my opinion) with any kind of fish. Readily available and easy on the wallet, I keep going back to this beer when I don’t want to test the waters with micro-brews. Been a Yueng fan for years and will continue to be!

4.36/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Brewed in Tampa as well as PA. The best of the American lagers. Consistent, flavorful and easy to drink. My favorite go-to beer and the best beer value. A case is usually < $20.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

The most American of all beers, its amber color add a different feel and more unique test then most lagers. Really like this beer out of can, bottle and tap! Great go to beer for gatherings, tailgates or yard work cooling off periods. Cant get where i live, but having buddies bring back to me from other states in bulk is a must

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%

Dark amber in color with a thick 2 finger head that quickly dissipated.
Malty, grassy and bready in the aroma. Good amount of carbonation gives that prickley bite on the end of your tongue. Taste is sweet malts, grass, bread and light hop presence. This to me is just a good representation of the style. Smooth well balanced and very drinkable. Not a world class beer, but in my opinion, a very enjoyable Good beer!

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Look: Two fingers of creamy white head has some surprisingly good retention. Color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pretty active carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramel and toasted grains.

Taste: More of the same but a slight metallic bite on the finish.

Feel: Light to medium in body. Pretty chewy for a lager.

Overall: This was a bit of a weird whale for me. Living in Colorado this beer isn't in distro out here and I always oddly wanted to try it. So I got a sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and pleasantly enjoyed it. Hope it makes it to Colorado sooner rather than later. Thumbs up.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

12 fl oz. can, no apparent canned on date. My first encounter with a can of Yuengling, gifted to me from a friend.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice coppery amber body- a touch darker than I expected. About a finger and a half of frothy off-white head. Leaves some good sticky scattered lacing behind. Looks good, considering it's reputation.

S - A creamy, grainy, almost doughy sort of aroma. Sweet & malty, to be sure. Some brown bread perhaps, and maybe just a slight note of floral alcohol / metallics.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweetened, creamy, & grainy all around. Toasty & nutty, with a bit of bready malts and brown bread. A bit of traditional doughy earthy yeast in there as well.

M - The feel is crisp, smooth, & creamy. A nice dry, yeasty finish. Medium-light bodied, but drinkable and quenching.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with my first can of this stuff. I would rank it right up there with Samuel Adams Boston Lager in terms of flavor and drinkability. This one is packing a lot of flavor for a low abv. Would love to get more of this stuff.

Yuengling Traditional Lager -----4/5.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

June 8, 2015

12 oz bottle, pils glass

A – Light to medium amber and very clear, with just a bit of chill haze. Slightly off-white head, less than a centimeter, dissipates quickly.

S – A lot of lightly baked bread crust, with a touch of caramel and grainy sweetness. Herbal hop aroma is mild but present, and slightly spicy/peppery. Very clean.

T – Bread crust, grainy, a touch of graham cracker, caramel. Hops are herbal, slightly floral, and the peppery note is here as well. Almost a rye-like spice.

M – Medium-high carbonation, well attenuated, and very dry throughout. Medium body. Very mild hop bitterness on the finish.

O – After drinking so many “big” beers, it’s easy to forget the joy of a well-made lager. These guys are some of the best. An excellent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a drinkable, but not exceptional lager. Good beer for when you are having more than one and a good change of pace beer when you need a break from some heavy IPA....First time rating it, had it many times before...

3.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Medium clear amber color with a 3 finger white head. Nose is a faint bread yeast. This reminded me of the smell from being outside the HS Bakery in Fells Point, Baltimore. Sweet on the tip of the tongue, malt and the faintest of hops. Moderate carbonation and body. This is the most drinkable of the American non-craft beers and the only one I will drink. No Miller, Coors or Bud passes over my tongue. And . . . this is an independent, not part of a international mega corp like Bud. When I have a party and do not want to waste good craft beer on non-caring beer drinkers, I serve this. Great with wings, steamed crabs and 'cue.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery