Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,671 | Ratings: 6,254
2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

Look: Two finger white soap bubbles head, light copper (about a 13 SRM), Lots of Carb, Pretty Good Lacing.

Smell: Sweet Malty, Light Floral. Nothing much there.

Taste: Sweet Malt, Floral, Straw, Grains. Light drinking. Nothing really great here.

Overall: I was hoping for a bit more then bud here. It's a little maltier version of budweiser.

2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

I ordered this on tap at a restaurant, so I had no control over the pour, but there was no head at all. Color was amber with a slight reddish hue. No lacing left on the glass at all. The smell was unimpressive - a vague malty smell with a slight skunkiness. My wife was complaining about the smell from across the table. Taste was nothing special, but not offensive - a grainy flavor mostly, nothing complex. Thin and uninspiring mouthfeel. Better than most mainstream lagers, but I'd not get it again.

2.05/5  rDev -39.2%

My last can of the twelve-pack I bought a few weeks ago. Just because this is the oldest brewery in America, does not mean it deserves the praise everyone gives it.

Appearance - The consistency is pure water, waving around without any form of body whatsoever. A flat, plain-looking, over-carbonated and watery mess. No head retention, and even less impressive lacing.

Smell - What am I even smelling here? There surely is no hint of hops, spices or malt. My first smell brought on the flooded aroma of light alcohol. My next attempts gave me nothing.

Taste - This isn't a bad stand-alone lager, but I don't think it qualifies as an amber / red lager. The bite of this beer isn't just low: it's practically non-existent. I will say that I prefer this over Coors and Bud, even though they are a slightly different category. However, the beer fails to deliver on the categories description of a more robust use of malt.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - This beer is insanely easy to session through the entire night if you don't necessarily care about what you are tasting. As I said, I'd rather encounter this brew out and about when compared to many of its rivals. Still, the beer scores fairly low in its category. I was more impressed with Yuengling's Black and Tan offering.

2.06/5  rDev -38.9%

I do not understand the affection for this beer; I never have.

Clear, brassy-copper color, and the fastest disappearing head I have ever seen. It's nice and full at first, but it is gone literally within a minute.

Slightly funky aroma. Pungent but not pleasant.

Brassy, sharp, and metallic in the mouth. Very thin and highly carbonated. Almost ginger-ale-like as it bites the tongue. It's very bitter but there is almost no malt in there to balance the bitterness.

This is a bitter, sour, horribly sharp, thin, skunky beer. It makes my tongue want to hide.

2.06/5  rDev -38.9%

I heard a lot of rave reviews about this beer, but simply put I was very disappointed. The beer looks good out of the bottle with a nice amber glow and a good foamy head but thats were the good ends. IMO the beer just lacks any real flavor and tastes very watered down.

2.06/5  rDev -38.9%

Being that Yuengling and I are both from just outside of Philadelphia, we are old acquatances. Previous to my beer awakening in the summer of 2001 I probably drank more Yuengling then any other beer. However, that does not make it any good. I've seen the error of my ways.

Yuengling Lager has a mediocre taste to it followed by a terribly dry aftertaste. It does not matter if you get a can, bottle, or on tap, it is consistently mediocre on just about every level. Did I mention how terribly dry it tastes?

The good points about this beer is that it is cheap, easily found in the extended Philadelphia area, and drinkable if needed.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I know this beer has its fans, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is.
I've tried Yuengling several times, alone and with friends, and every time I come away with the exact same result.
This beer tastes like water. I guess if you're buying a cheap beer, you could certainly do worse. The taste of nothing is much better than rice or corn adjuncts, but I can't really get excited about a beer who's main selling point is "it could be worse."

Maybe it's better when it's fresher? I'm several states away from where it's normally available, so maybe that's it, but otherwise there's nothing very special about Yuengling. Certainly nothing that would make me go out of my way for it, no matter how cheap it was.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

I'm with many others on this one. I bought this tonight as my treat for Friday night. I don't do a lot of drinking these days, but I still have a deep love of beer. So when it's one of those occasions where I treat myself to something I want it to be good....this was not.

I really like the color of this beer; it's a deep gold/amber. It LOOKS like it should taste good. However, after pouring it, I turned around to grab my cigarettes out of my vest and by the time I turned back around the head was gone as if it had never been there to being with. No lacing, no nothing, just gone. If I hadn't just poured I'd swear it's a beer that's been left to sit over night. There's no carbonation bubbles, and it looks flat as hell. The taste is horribly bland and boring. It's got a certain malty sweetness, but it tastes for all the world like any other cheap American beer right down to the weird metallic taste it leaves in the mouth.

As someone else mentioned I think this gets so much hype because of the story of the brewery. That's all well and good but, based on this offering, I'll be in no great hurry to try any of their other beers. Being the oldest brewer in America doesn't count for much in my book if your beer isn't worth drinking.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Definatly a step above Budweiser and Miller but still pretty bad. Nevertheless I'll try to be nice as some friends of mine love it.

Color was a light amber with not much of a head. Smelled a bit grainy and glassy with metallic hops. Taste was almost watery, a little bit of hop complexities, barley flavors were inferior. the mouthfeel was a bit watery with chunky carbonation.

This is a drinkable beer but not overly so because the taste is lousy, more processed tasting than characteristic of all the ingredients. Would never buy this beer and would only drink again if I'm desparate and it's free.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Presentation: 12oz green glass longneck generic bottle, multicolored on cream label

Appearance: clear golden color, medium head, minor lacing

Smell: minor malt and hops aroma

Taste: thin body, very watery mouth feel, light sweet malt, some hoppy bitterness

Notes: below average brew

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Was interested to try this beer as it is advertised as "America's original" or "oldest" lager. Not terribly impressed however. And I think the green bottle adds to a slight skunking of the beer. Tasted like a typical American Macro Lager, not much now to add. I think I'd order a Bud over this in the future though.

2.14/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

S: 12oz bottle.

A: Decent copper color.

S: Sorta combination of wet cardboard and corn.

T: Some malt, hardly any hop flavor. Corn seems to dominate, somewhat sweet.

M: Thin. Standard amount of carbonation for generic beer.

Overall, just like any other AAL, but with caramel coloring added.

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

02/09/13

In college, this was "good beer"; amazing how the mighty have fallen.

AROMA: Vegetable, hops, dishwater?, Skunk?
LOOK: Light Orange color. Small Head.
TASTE: It's soapy. A touch of caramel.
FEEL: Not very lively.

Side by side comparison with Fordham Helles Lager, Victory Lager and Yuengling Lager.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ah, Yuengling, the crappy beer that seems to get a pass because it is from a small brewery. While this is not the worse beer, it is worse than Budweiser. It reminds me of a stronger tasting Miller Lite due to that mystery hint of fart aftertaste. The taste is not exactly terrible, but it seems like a PBR that got hot and then was put back in the fridge; at the same time, it can taste a little more complex than your typical gas station grade of beer.

I have always found all Yuengling products low quality and in the vein of Miller High Life or Genesee Cream Ale. This goes even more so for the Traditional Lager. The initial taste is bad for every time I have had it, and it becomes increasingly drinkable the more you have. However, there is a weird, sticky mouth feel to it, and again that subtle but troubling aftertaste. It also gives many people almost instant gas that has notes of that aftertaste, which makes it even harder to pallet.

This beer is sub-par, and I do not know why people claim to like it. It isn't hoppy, but it is sunky. It is a beer I don't exactly hate, but can go years and years without.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%

Ok... so I know that Dick Yuengling and family have keep this treasure of a brewery going for a long long long long time... and never been acquired or grow to the point of being swallowed by "the big dogs" (ie Rolling Rock)....

BUT.... I don't get it... I have never been a huge fan of this beer... I guess that I am happy that my BMC friends drink this now... just cause their money is going a small brewery and not one of those Micro-eating conglomerates!

2.19/5  rDev -35%

A- Slightly hazy(chill haze) golden color with a finger of head after a hard pour, that drops to a ring in moments.

S- DMS, corn, a hint of skunk(!), very faint malt and hints of barley way in the back.

T- Well-blanced between malt and hops, so much so that I can't taste either. And this beer is definitely slightly skunked... Why would you have a green bottle?

M- Clean, light, watery, thin, highly carbonated, and a slightly dry finish.

D- Since it's so thin, it's pretty drinkable, but the skunk killed it for me. Drink this in a can. It's not great, but it's much better. Or better yet, don't drink this at all, unless the only option is BMC. Go get some JW Dundee's if you want an excellent cheap lager.

2.2/5  rDev -34.7%

This beer has been getting so much hype lately, but I never was a fan.

A- Clear copper with a light tan head and little lacing. Quite clear for a red lager.

S- Floral hops and a musty skunk smell. Sweet corn underneath.

T- Foral hops with an aftertaste of skunk. Musty with a bitter finish.

M- Watery.

D- Refreshing. Drinkable since its so watery. Skunkiness is strong. I wouldn't buy one.

2.2/5  rDev -34.7%

Clear copper color, head fades fast. Smell is grainy and a little sweet. Taste is not that great. Too sweet, not enough hops (or much at all). A bland lager, one not worth the hype that most people get it. I prefer the second oldest brewery any day of the week.

2.21/5  rDev -34.4%

This beer was one of 12 - green bottles.

Poured fine, decent color and the foam was dense looking, but as it decayed it was strange. Smelled of corn and soap. Tasted of corn and soap. Drinkable brew and I would take it over some "light" beers but this doesn't seem to me as decent as some others feel.

2.23/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Had on tap and in bottle far too many times.

How does the joke go.... 'You know you're from Pennsylvania when you think that Yuengling is premium beer'. So... what more can I really say about it? For a mass produced lager (craft in name only) it's probably at the top of the heap (I'm looking at you Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc.) but it's certainly nothing to write home about. It has the virtue of being cheap and readily available in the northeast, and it's a step above the swill. That being said... I'd probably rather drink water.

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

DATE TASTED: August 24, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsner glass... OCCASION: last revisiting the old classic...had too much at cousin Missy's wedding last night--cheers...APPEARANCE: uneven, variably sized bubbles lodge and flutter in a brown-orange body; two-finger head settles to an off-white iced tea head that does not lace... AROMA: scents of peanut and toasted bread in the malty profile; hops provide little other than some funky undertones...PALATE: like medium-bodied, this begins with some strength but ends oily in the throat; aftertaste more than lingers...TASTE: definite bread amid vegetable elements; a bit of bubblegum too... OVERALL: a Northeastern PA sessions staple--one can order by simply saying "lager" in most establishments; this profiles as a beer with a strong odd-tasting dimension; relatively easy-drinking and very affordable, the lager ranks above mass-marketed faux pilsners but below many craft lager offerings; the label reminds us this beer was pioneered when colors (amber, in this case) were the distinguishing aspect of the industry...

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured the beer from a bottle into a wide-mouthed, chilled glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Looks OK, amber color is a nice change from the norm. Carbonation clearly visible; lots of big CO2 feuled bubbles floating up from the bottom. Very little head.

-Smell 2.0: Smells...like a cheap beer. No discernible hops, smells slightly yeasty with a hint of corn. No further distinguishing notes.

-Taste 2.5: Nothing jumped out at me. I can taste the barley, slightly sweet corn notes, absolutely no hops. Goes down smooth.

-Mouthfeel 2.0: Feels very "juicy" in the mouth, no dry notes. Highly carbonated.

-Overall 2.0: Not the best beer that you will ever drink. Goes good with food, but not the best beer to choose as your session beer. I know people who swear that Yuengling is the best mega-American beer, but I am not one of them.

If I was getting these for free, I would enjoy them. However, I would not pay more than $10 for a twelve pack of these.

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For such a popular beer I just don't get it. I do normally drink craft but it's just not all that good. The most interesting thing is that I get bloated before I even close to feeling the effects of the alcohol with this beer.

The beer looks better than it smells, feels, or tastes.

2.27/5  rDev -32.6%

Had this on tap at a party yesterday (July 4th). I’m all too familiar with Yuengling and their Traditional Lager since they are considered a regional brewery in my area. Never really took the time to officially review it until now.

Look: A deep and fairly clear amber color. Foamy two finger off-white head. It’s a great looking lager. I would compare the head consistency to a Sam Adams Boston Lager but a little lighter in color and with tighter bubbles. No detectable lacing.

Smell: I noticed a beadyness to the aroma along with a ‘new-car’ vinyl smell. Also some adjunct in there (possibly corn??). Let’s face it – most offerings from Yuengling never seem to be award winners in the nose category.

Taste: Crisp biscuit in front; faded to a dry obnoxious metallic. I also got the annoying corn detected in the nose. The finish and aftertaste reminded me of what you would have after vomiting. It completely dried out my mouth, but there were absolutely no hops or alcohol present in the palate (weird).

Ok, this is certainly a beer to consider when throwing a party on the cheap. I believe the Yuengling organization is extremely frugal, and it certainly shows in the quality and price of this beer. I would maybe place the Traditional Lager just slightly above a BMC. As far as I’m concerned, the only quality that sets this beer apart from other mass produced beer would be the color – and the fact that Yuengling claims it's the oldest brewery in America.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery