Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,678 | Ratings: 6,292
3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pale orange in color with a yellow hue. Excellent clarity. Poured with a short, white foam with medium low retention. Medium light caramel malt, mild spicy hop and grainy maly aromas. Medium light bodied with a light creamy feel and medium carbonation. Light grainy malt flavor up front followed by caramel malt. Medium light hop bitterness through the middle along with a trace of spicy hop bite. Caramel malt flavors return near the end . Finished semi-dryly with sweet caramel malt note followed by light grainy malt aftertaste. Pretty easy drinking. A cult staple in PA.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

It looks wonderful. It smells amazing. I love the feel of this beer. The problem? It tastes like Grape soda and rancid ass. I do not like this beer's taste. I thought maybe it was the one I bought. So I bought a six pack. All of them tasted the same. Lame and pathetic. I know this beer has its fans, but sorry, I do not like this garbage.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

L: Reddish amber color not a whole lot of foam, less than an inch
S: Smells of malt and hops
T: Tastes as it smells
F: A little thicker than water, thinner than milk, lightly carbonated
O: One of the better lagers I've had, it's a shame they don't sell it outside of the east coast. I've only ever had it on tap, I assume it isn't as good from a can or bottle.

2.82/5  rDev -16.3%

to say this is bad is really not true. this is really like Light beer flavored water. nearly no taste. no aftertaste. no nothing. so if you like water with a little malt this is for you. I like beer. so not for me.

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I like to use the full 1-5 scale when reviewing beers, and this seems uncommon. But I like to know where each beer I've had sit against one another. This score might seem low, but compared to my scores for similar mass produced american lagers it might be generous. This is a pretty good beer, one you order, when for some reason, a restaurant has twelve American Lagers on the menu and nothing else. Drinks very very light and easy, there is a decent amount of color and flavor that the light body doesn't bother me all that much. Not overly hopped, the flavor seems to me heavy on barley and water.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on draught in a tavern. Poured into pint glass. It pours a clear amber color with a one-finger, milk-white head and lacing that persisted throughout the pour. It smelled of sweet malt, corn, and earthy peat. The taste largely follows the nose. It has a sweet malty flavor with a slightly malty flavor at the finish. This is a light ale, moderately carbonated, and highly sessionable with an ABV of only 4.5% Overall, it is an historic standby. It doesn't have a lot of taste but is an easy drinking East Coast lager.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Well refrigerated from a bottle. This beer has a really nice amber color and above average carbonation. This tastes like a solidly mainstream lager with lots of hops and mild malt flavors. Overall it feels heavier/fuller than many other lagers, but noticeably less alcohol than an IPA.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer I generally consumed in my 20's and early 30's.

Pours an amber to dark gold color with minimal head. Smell has a little grain to it and a hint of hops. Taste has an over layer of syrup to it but mostly is malt with a little corn and a finish with hops. The finish is clean and does not linger long. Mouthfeel is light, a small amount of carbonation. Overall a decent lager, certainly one I enjoyed earlier on and one that is nice to return to and take a break from craft beers for a while.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A good American beer still made in the USA. My standard beer for sports bars or anyplace that only offers American beers like Miller or Bud. I often buy the kegs for bbq's or parties. Good taste, not heavy.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Dark gold color with a decent head. Smells like grains and aromas of sweet maltiness. It tastes somewhat bland, with a light creamy and malt note, with a very modestly hoppy aftertaste. Taste is not bad at all. The mouthfeel is light and easy going. Overall, this is not a bad beer at all. For the price and level of availability, this should be a go to beer for starters who want a session beer. I would highly recommend this beer as one of the best of macro American adjuncts.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can from 6 pack - $6.75 locally

Honestly I love this beer and it's a simple go to for anyone looking for a cheaper lager to session with or to bring to a party that won't cause the beer snobs to scuff their noses upward at your choice.

Pours a brown red (on the darker side) and gives a unique smell of roasted malt and a subtle hoppiness that is truly unique to the lager style and does not have too much of a head even with straight pouring - lacing minimal. This beer is very flavourful but has a cheap syrupy feel to its malt character - generally you'll notice mostly malt and then a hint of corn and hops. The mouthfeel doesn't get overwhelmed by carbonation and there is more of a balance than other inexpensive lagers. Great choice.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

As a Pennsylvanian drinking Yuengling Traditional Lager is natural for me.
Look: Reddish brown (amber)
Smell: A little skunky (Bottle) Grainy from a can
Taste: Malt a little bit of hops
Feel: Medium thickness, carbonation
Overall: Very refreshing, can't go wrong with the lager. For some reason the can and bottle taste different probably due to the green bottle, I prefer the bottle over the can, because I think it has a stronger taste

This beer is what started the craft beer thing with me, so it does have a warm place in my heart. It pours an amber color, with a fairly thick head. There isn't much nose there. The taste circa 2005 blew me away. Today, it's still good, some malts, some hops, but I've tasted so much better. For what it is, it's good, and will always hold a special place in my heart. Whenever I'm in Yuengling land, I'll get some.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

So much better at it's price point than the competitors. 24 cans for 17.50. Yeah it's not gonna blow you away. Yeah it has corn in it. But cmon.. im paying around 72 cents per can, and it DOES taste good.

Far more "complex" than other adjuncts. A malty sweet flavor, a sort of creaminess, and a very slight hop bitterness. Was interesting to learn they use cascade as well as cluster (im sure in minuscule amounts) but it made sense as there is sort of that citrusy zing to it albeit very subdued.

Its not a great beer by any stretch, but its very solid and if price vs taste is taken into consideration, this is an incredible value beer.

Let me say this first, I am no fan of American lagers. That said, I believe this is the best American lager in that it is different and better than the Bud clones.

Dark for a lager, almost Amber. Foamy white head. Smells hoppy like most American lagers, but the taste is more well-balanced, probably because of the roasted malt. Extremely drinkable and all-around very well made beer.

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The more things change the more they stay the same. Yuengling has tweaked their basic lager recipe over the years but kept the same profile which is an above average brew for the common man. Works for me.

Clear amber tone with mild/medium malt aroma. Little hop presence (had to search for them) but a malty richness absent from other AAL brands. Oh it's not first list, nor does it pretend to be, but a Mecerdes won't get you to the grocery store any better than a Chevy.

Taste good, widely available, bargain price, what else can I say.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 24 oz can into 10 oz mug. Pours an attractive amber color, pretty see through with a fluffy head that dissipated rather quickly leaving a little bit of lacing.
Smells earthy and pretty malty, maybe some corn thrown in there.
Tastes of corn, malt and maybe a tad bit of hay? Very pleasant, no bitterness. Not overly sweet, however. Damn good.
Mouthful isn't super thick, but it's very drinkable and goes down rather nicely. Medium body and a tad bit carbonated.
Overall, very very pleasant to drink and one of my favorite lagers to date.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of the better macro options, in my opinion. I always keep some in the fridge at home for easy drinking with friends! Pours a light reddish brown with a thin head that leaves some okay lacing. Smell is corn, grain, and some faintly toasted malt. Taste is the same. Not bitter at all, but also not overly sweet. Nice sweetly earthy type flavor that lingers pleasantly between sips. Feel is moderately carbonated and medium bodied. Definitely a good option for its price point.

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer pours a dark golden color. Nothing outstanding about the smell taste or feel - its a simple lager. However, this was the first beer I loved and I still love it. Its just a nostalgic taste for me with having grown up near Philly and everyone in my family drinking this beer growing up. I've always described it as the best cheap beer money can buy. Its a really good drinkable beer.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Quick review: A nice everyday beer. A far cry from Blandweiser. Crisp clean mouth feel with no bitter aftertaste. A staple on draft in my local bars. Goes nice with most fare. Can have more than a few without feeling pickled. I keep this one on hand most of the time. Slight amber color. Head disappears quickly but this one goes down easy, so not much of a factor. Highly recommended for an all day beverage during the game.

I have been to the Yuengling brewery. They still ferment their beer in a cave. That's pretty sweet! If a bar does not have Iron City I then ask for a Yuengling. This beer is a step up in taste from Budweiser, Miller and Coors. It's a good beer. Did you know Budweiser copied the eagle of Yuengling? Budweiser sucks!

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my first loves of beer. Now that I am in love with hops, when I turn to a lager I need to readjust my taste buds. Consistent American beer that is a fairly good buy.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: Dark golden. About 2 fingers of off white foamy head that recedes in a few moments and leaves a ring. Mild, short lived lacing down the glass. Plenty of small bubbles rising.
AROMA: Toasted bread, grassy, super slight amount of sulfur, a bit of caramel, and to me what I perceive as corn husk.
TASTE: Basically, a lot like the smell.
FEEL: Medium thin body, nice full carbonation, dry finish.
OVERALL: I think it's an alright, refreshing lager. If you want a touch more flavor for a few more calories than a standard light beer, this might work well.

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not available in my area and just got some from a friend who does quite a bit of sales. Buddy claimed it was very popular and my guess is the history of the brewery and longevity of the beer is what makes it popular in its area, or simply the area has different tastes than the upper midwest?

Good beer but nothing overly special. Has decent body and not much of an aftertaste - for me this is not a go to beer, though it IS a good beer.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery