Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,678 | Ratings: 6,292
3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

A fairly deep amber colored body is capped by a loose off-white head that drops readily to a thin surface covering and leaves only minor transient lace about the glass. In the nose, a sweetish malt dominates with a light hint of fruitiness from the Christian Schmidt yeast. It's light to medium bodied, and gently crisp in the mouth with a fine carbonation that allows it to become slightly creamy as it warms. The flavor delivers a gently sweet malt that's well-infused with a mildly floral hop flavor and low-level bitterness along with the Yuengling house-flavor. It finishes quickly, but leaves a mild residue of sweet malt that continues to build on the palate. An easy drinking beer that's balanced towards sweetness, but still remains enjoyable for a few.

2.72/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a wine glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin white head that fades almost instantly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of malt, grain, corn and a little bit of hops.

T: It has a light but bready grain flavor. Neither the malt nor the hops are very strong.

M: Smooth & crisp, but very watery, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Goes down very easily and not very filling, but not much flavor at all. I was on vacation and this was the only beer in Wal-Mart that wasn’t made by AB, Miller, Coors, Heiniken or Corona. Since I knew I couldn’t get this one at home, I tried, but wasn’t very impressed.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. single for $0.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, copper-colored body topped with an inch of white foam. Slight, but steady effervescence.

Smell: Light, malty aroma with notes of grain and bread.

Taste: Slight pale maltiness with just a touch of caramel sweetness. Touch of breadiness. Mild spicy hop character with a light bitterness. Finishes crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, balanced, sessionable lager that fares better than most macro lagers available, like a basic lager deluxe.

2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Pale orange with a hint of amber. The head is small and isn't overly dense. It doesn't look like it'll last long at all (it doesn't) and I'll be surprised if I see much lace (I wasn't surprised).

The aroma has that sharp, pungent smell that reminds me of some macro lagers. It must be either the hops or a wee bit of skunk. In any case, the nose isn't pleasant to my nose at all. The flavor is a small cut above the lagers from BMC. Slightly sour grain with a little maltiness. This is incredibly one-dimensional beer, with that one dimension collapsing as quickly as the mouthfeel.

I didn't have high hopes for Yuengling Traditional Lager, but I was sort of curious to see what 'America's Oldest Brewery' has to offer. If anyone offers this beer to me in the future, I'll politely decline.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had: ?

I pretty much grew up on this beer before I expanded my horizons. It's not a GREAT beer by any measure, and elitist bars even classify it with Bud and Miller. And I don't really think that's fair, because it's much better than those. I'll still drink it if I have to, but such an occasion rarely arises anymore.

Pours a clear amber with a white head, varying in size with the pour, with not much to speak of in regards to retention or lacing. Grainy aroma, with hints of caramel malts. Bready taste, caramel malts, easy-going floral hops. Can be a bit metallic, varying depending on freshness and the source from whence you acquired it. Light bodied and fairly drinkable, but only if there's nothing else available (not including the typical macros).

2.96/5  rDev -12.2%

Ok my last one for now. These macro reviews are killing my tastebuds, well not really giving them a workout would be more accurate ;) Well I guess Yuengling isn't really a macro, but still a light lager so I went ahead and added them into my tasting. Poured a decent amber with a small white head. Lots of visible carbonation and very clear consistency. At least the tone has a decent reddish tint. Smell was full of grains and not really much else, slight hint at a caramel or sugar sweetness but very slight and only as it warmed. The taste was a little musty. Grain, corn, and grass flavors were the big players here, slight amount of caramel trying to come through but never really made it. The feel was very smooth, decent body, not as light as some others. Overall it had a bit more of a flavor profile then some of the others did, but still needs a little work. I could see myself having one at a ball game if it were between this and BMC.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a clear amber in color with light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall white head that reduces to a thin film over the entire surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Light aromas of caramel and brown sugar contribute to the sweetness in the smell. There is a heavy aroma of generic maltiness and some light notes of grassy hops.

T: The taste is very similar to the smell with light amounts of malty sweetness. There is a subtle hint of the grassy hops in the flavor as well. Very little bitterness.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Probably one of the better mass production beers and likely what I would choose at a largely BMC place or a venue like a wedding/conference where there is little craft beer available. Definitely a sessionable beer.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Presentation - a green longneck 12oz with a very traditional looking symbol of the U.S.A: The Bald Eagle.

A - Amber/golden with off white head that leaves minimal lace and trails of many bubbles streaming upward.

S - Slight sweet aroma with a touch of corn pop-like cereal qualities.

M - High carbonation with sweet + oily texture. The finish is light and somewhat watery.

T - A light flavored lager with coloring and adjunct tastes. Slightly latent wheaty flavor. Still has the taste of a pale lager with corn enhancement.

D - I used to drink this particular beer by the pitcher when checking out local bands at basement clubs. Since it was available everywhere it was a good social, shareable brew. Back then It was convenient and I hadn't yet adopted the motto " drink better, drink less" I realised Yuengling Lager gave me headaches even if I had only two or three. I found them to be drinkable when choices are limited, but this was the first taste I have had of a Yuengling product in years.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another can from WoodyChandler, review from notes...

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of fluffy tan head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Cornyness, faint caramel & apples

T: Slight apricot fruittyness, with leafy hops & apples as well up front. Dryness, more fruit flavors, plus leafy & grassy hops once warm. Finishes dry with faint hoppy notes

MF: Light/medium bodied, fairly firm carbonation with good balance

Drinks easy for what it is, could do a few in a pinch

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bit on the sweet side with no astringent flavours. Hops are light on the palate and barely round out the brew. A no frills amber lager. It actually does not taste bad as it warms up either. A good beer to grab on a lazy summer afternoon and let your mind go blank.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Dark gold color, very clear. Good starting head, but it leaves no lace and settles into a single layer of bubbles.

Pleasant soft hop to the nose. The malt is a little grainy and faint.

A thin beer, and perhaps a very good session beer. It has a lot of the qualities of macro with a little more flavoring. The hop is less pronounced on the tongue. Easy to drink and perhaps very nice after a long hot day.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a chilled mug.

Pours a light, mostly clear amber straw with about a finger of goldenrod-white head that produces some average lacing. The nose contains some grapefruit, some orange peel, and a little bit of subtle pine. The taste is primarily a bland maltiness with a steady kick of bitterness and a sort of light wheaty quality behind it all. The body is on the high end of the light spectrum, has a kind of watery quality, punctuated by a healthy dose of carbonation, producing a pretty drinkable, if not altogether favorable brew.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

A beer that I have had many times. At bars that only carry BMC this is usually my go to beer.

A: Pours a rather deep amber color with a small white head. The head fades very quickly and leaves behind very little lacing.

S: Light caramel aromas, a pilsner smell, and a little bit of fruit. A little bit of hops are detectable.

T: Light malt, mostly caramel, some light fruit, and a little bit of faint citrus. Slight grainy flavor as well.

M: Rather light, but not watery. It has a nice crispness with lively carbonation.

O: You know what you are getting with this beer. It has a purpose and fills it well. It is an inexpensive session beer that is superior to BMC products. Good for a long day, hanging outside at a BBQ or at the beach.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

From 07/28/11 notes. Had on tap at Whitlow's in Arlington, VA. Poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep amber color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. No head retention or lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, bready malts, and light toasted/caramel malts. Pretty average and nothing really jumps put at you, though it isn't offensive.

t - Taste follows the nose; grain, bready malts, corn, wheat, and light toasted and caramel malts. Again, more or less average.

m - Rather light to medium body and mdoerate carbonation. The slightest touch of overcarbonation, but not too bad.

o - Overall a pretty average beer; not bad, but nothing really stands out in it. I'd much rather drink one of these than most BMC beers, but it's nothing special. Have had it many times and I'm sure I will again; a good alternative to BMC beers at most bars on the East Coast.

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

The beer is amber in color and appears clear. The head is an inch thick and leaves a nice sheet of lacing on the glass - noticeably different than the draft version I reviewed. The aroma is sweet malts and typical American lager scents. The beer tastes simple and plain with a slight sweetness that grows as the beer warms. This is a decent offering and sometimes the best beer available, as is the case tonight.

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

I am nearly at bottle # 400 which will free me up to refocus on what really matters, namely The CANQuest (TM). In the meantime, anything in a bottle will do.

A bit of nostalgia involved in tonight's beer for yours truly. I have been up to the brewery numerous times and I have drank this beer more often than I care to remember, but I simply never bothered to review it out of a bottle.

My pour created a finger of eggshell-white head with low retention, fizzing its way out of existence. Color was a deep coppery-orangish amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like pure, unadulterated lager - slightly sweet with a mild maltiness that was pleasant to take in. Mouthfeel was medium with a lager sweetness on the tongue. It seems pretty unobtrusive to me these days, having been a self-avowed hophead and then getting on The CANQuest (TM) kick, which led to a LOT of AmeriCAN Adjunct Lager consumption. This struck me as a nice, easy-drinking beer that I could easily use to fill a cooler for a picnic or a barbecue. The ABV is reasonable and the taste is not going to put anybody off. The finish was slightly dry and nicely pleasant.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

The oldest American continously running brewery, just that alone I think I have to pay my respects. This was the beer that in the Northern Panhandle of WV, still in high school we would cross the border into PA to get our hands on the good stuff. Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager was a beer we all yearned for, considering most days we drank mostly Coors Light and Busch. She pours with an amber brown hue, with heavily carbonated white colored head. The aroma consists pimarily of sweet malt possibly caramel, and there is a weak but present hop like aroma. I would like to the thank the Yuengling family for keeping up a better product than the macros out there and keeping their beers moderately priced. The lighter bodied beer has a rather thin texture, and it does annoy me that most of the time this beer gets way to much credit as being the good stuff. When in reality it is a mediocre beer that is great for getting people away from the fizzy yelllow brews this country mainly has to offer. A relatively sweet, but mostly bitter crisp finish forms a classic taste that I cherish. Yes, I cannot lie I can drink my fair share of it, but it really isn't a beer that I should spend much time on.

2.84/5  rDev -15.7%

For longer than I have been leagally able to enjoy beer, people in my town refer to beer as all inclusively consisting of 1 of 2 options: "Lager or Premium" with both referring to Yuengling.

Cult-like brand loyalty and historical reference are the only things this beer has going for it. If I am forced to drink a macro brewed beer...or an adjunct laden lager, I will force this down with a fake smile on my face as to not offend the locals. Brace yourself for the inevitable headache even if you drink just one.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

So I'm in a restaurant in Western PA and my choices are Bud Miller Coors or Yuengling. My decision made itself. Pours a deepreddish amber color with a thinnish white head. Surprisingly dark color for a macro. Earthy grainy aroma with hints of corn and skunk. Slight earthy hop aroma was a surprise. Taste is earthy with hops grainy with malts and slighly corny. Medium to high level of carbonation, light body with a thin watery mouthfeel. Better than the macros but nothing special on its own.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured amber with fairly high carbonation and a thin white head that soon became a fairly well-retained lace.
The smell was on the thin side, but clean - some sweet malt and a hint of fresh hops.
The taste was of a fairly good balance of malt and hops. Nothing special in the taste, but nothing bad in it. medium to light bodied - a touch of wateriness, but not too much.
While nothing in particular stood out to wow me, it was clean and refreshing and had some body to it. It was a good thirst-quencher if nothing else. At five bucks for a six-pack, it's a good value for a "session" choice. It's better cold - when it warms it has a bit of an odd aftertaste.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Arrived a deep amber, no head, but with obvious carbonation bubbles. Smells rather grainy with only a slight hint of malts. Taste is grainy with mild malt notes; there is only a hint of hops in the finish. This beer is heavily carbonated lending to lighter mouthfeel.

Not a great beer, but better than any BMC mass-produced lager. Easily drinkable and cheap, it's my go to tailgate beer.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured out of the can into a pint glass.

The strangest thing I ever saw I swear is that this head appears to be pink briefly after pouring and sitting on the amber body. It is however and off white head of about three fingers once things calm down. Body is a very odd amber orange and sort of gold/brown, real hard to describe. There are large soda like bubbles that come out from the bottom for carbonation and the drink leaves no lacing at all.

Bouquet is strangely like mild supermarket grape flesh, but nothing else I can detect. There's nothing going on here.

Upon tasting the most obvious thing is how incredibly wet and watery this is for mouthfeel. Kind of disappointing here, but luckily for taste there's some faint bread but not much else.

This is pretty easy beer for drinking you could do a lot worse, but the wetness of it real doesn't sit well with me. At least this is drinkable I will give it that.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Vav for tossing me one of these. I've had this many times on-tap, but never from a bottle. Served in a pilsner glass.

A - Transparent copper-gold body, with a small white foam that settles to a thin cap, leaving behind minimal lace. Lots of tiny bubbles are visible.

S - Slightly skunky hops, grassy, some bready and lightly fruity malts, touch of grain and yeast.

T - Taste has a little toffee and sweet malt character, along with a hefty dose of toasted grains and bread. A touch of hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Texture is largely smooth, with a hint of grain to it, and body is surprisingly hefty for the listed 4.4%. Chewy, with pleasant medium-low carbonation. Lightly sticky finish.

D - It's a solid Amber Lager, and a definite step up from BMC offerings. A good choice in beer wastelands and for parties with craft beer virgins. Easy to drink multiple glasses.

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%

Its a solid American Red Lager....nothing fancy....nothing bad. The color is a clear amber with thin white head that has some lace. The nose is nothing to write home about....smell like a plain American Amber ale. The taste is very solid a very drinkable beer. There is grain and malt that can be found on the pallete. The mouthfeel is easy and could session all day long.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Served on-tap at the Pig Stand in Daytona, FL. I've had this a million times, but never got around to putting it down on paper. Here we go.

Served in a mug, the beer pours a caramel-copper coloring with a thin, big bubbled, white head. Toasted malt and oats in the aroma. The beer has a nutty-toffee-sweet malt taste, with roasted flavors into the aftertaste. The beer is light and creamy in mouth, and it carries the flavor well. The finish is quick to the roasted sweet flavors, but blends out to nothing rapidly. It's an easy drinker with strong flavors for the style.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery