Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,689 | Ratings: 6,344
2.91/5  rDev -13.6%

An appealing, brassy color. With a thin, weak head. But the color is so entrancing.

Smells like STEEL (just kidding), but there is a slight tinny odor. Even poured from the bottle into a glass. I'm afraid this might hit me like the metal-shavings taste of Sam Adams.

(It doesn't.) The taste isn't overly strong . . . hint of burnt popcorn. Mouthfeel is very thin.

This one's not totally lifeless or unappealing, but still average overall. There are better domestic macro lagers for the same (or less, where I live) money.

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Serving Time: 12 Fl Oz Bottle.

A: Dark golden with a red tint. Small layer of foam floating on top.

S: Clean smell. Light. Earthy.

T: Clean taste. Slight sweetness. Also a hint of salt. Nice summer beer. Also a nice beer for someone who is a "Big Brother" beer drinker.

M: Tingle in the mouth. Goes down smooth with a light aftertaste.

D: I would drink this and keep this in the fridge. But will not be the first i grab.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Sampled on-tap, poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a semi-clear amber-brown with good carbonation and a 1-inch off-white head; minimal retention.

S - Mildly-caramelized malt lends some sweetness to the aroma, which is otherwise dominated by bready & earthy tones...this is what I expect from a lager.

T - Nothing spectacular ever matriculates...dominant flavor is of the malty tone with lingering backdrops of caramel, grain, and a slight twang spice. It goes down very light with little aftertaste.

M - Body is on the thinner side, feeling slightly watered down.

D - This beer does the job...its exactly what I expected, and there's nothing wrong with it at all. I'm not about to bash it because of the size of the brewery...personally, I don't care for these lighter lagers, but as far as being a good representation of the style, this fits like a glove.

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

This one is definitely a couple of shades darker than your average macro-lager....a nice deep gold. It sports a sudsy head that shrinks rapidly but never disappears. The smell is faint but there's some good bready malt and toasted grain mixed in with citrus and tea-like hops...a nice balance going on there. In the taste there's more hops here than in your typical macro-lager and the toasted grain comes through as well. Adjuncts seem to have been used sparingly. This brew's main failing is in mouthfeel. It comes across as watery making that nice flavor all too shortlived. I don't expect it to be "thick" and palate-coating like an IPA but even for a lager this one is too watery. Even so, this is what BudMilCoors should be.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

The old standby American lager, this one from the tap into a pint glass a light ruby red clear with few bubbles. Bar pour yields a spotty cap with some minor lacing. Not much on the nose cold, but still some sweetish malt peeks through. Taste is of subdued, sweet malt with a touch of hops, licorice, a hint of malt liquor, culminating in a middle-dry finish. Just about average here. Mouth is on the high side of carbonated; it’s wet and satisfying. Drinkability is good overall; this is definitely a sessionable brew with a decent taste and thirst-quench-ability.

Overall: A pretty average brew overall, which is to say better than virtually any other macro-lager. A good alternative at your local watering hole.

2.96/5  rDev -12.2%

Ok my last one for now. These macro reviews are killing my tastebuds, well not really giving them a workout would be more accurate ;) Well I guess Yuengling isn't really a macro, but still a light lager so I went ahead and added them into my tasting. Poured a decent amber with a small white head. Lots of visible carbonation and very clear consistency. At least the tone has a decent reddish tint. Smell was full of grains and not really much else, slight hint at a caramel or sugar sweetness but very slight and only as it warmed. The taste was a little musty. Grain, corn, and grass flavors were the big players here, slight amount of caramel trying to come through but never really made it. The feel was very smooth, decent body, not as light as some others. Overall it had a bit more of a flavor profile then some of the others did, but still needs a little work. I could see myself having one at a ball game if it were between this and BMC.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

Yuengling pours an amber-gold color. The head is white and fleeting.

Aroma is light, of malt and hops. Taste is initially almost.... tarty?m then smooth and slightly malty balanced nicely with the hops. Slightly bitter finish but not really pronounced.

A very drinkable lager, one of my favorites when im out at a bar with a less-than-impressive selection of beers, or when money is an issue. Of course, being on tap always helps as well.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

thought I'd try this on a lark while visiting a restaurant in NJ on a business trip. I can't recall ever seeing it in my home state. Glad I did. Nice reddish color, lager yeast but otherwise mild nose, mild malts and minimal hops - classic american lager, light bodied and clean drinking.

went well with my chicken quesadilla.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

Poured from the tap to an amber color with small off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly and left okay lacing. Som ehops in the aroma, but nothing dominant. Likewise with the taste. At only 4.9%, the alcohol never made itself known, and the finish was okay, but nothing special. I can see how this could make a decent, low-priced session beer, but for quality rating, it left something to be desired.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured light amber with an off-white head that dropped quickly to a quarter inch. Smell is very subtle, some grainyness coming through the CO2 nose-buzz. Taste is smooth but not much going on; sweet up front, then just a hint of hops.

This is nicer than most macros, but still a pretty thin brew.

2.56/5  rDev -24%

Overall this brew isn't too bad for what I'd consider an American Macro Lager. This was served to me on tap in a pint glass, and it didn't really have much head, acually no head. The body was a reddish amber and crystal clear. I couldn't really detect much aroma, but a slight light straw or hay aroma. Tastes pretty smooth, a little bit of a sweeter lager, but nothing too exciting. Even though the taste isn't really impressive, this brew does flow down nicely and is a bit refreshing.

3.87/5  rDev +14.8%

Ahhh. Yuengling Lager. The session beer of my choice by far.

Some people drink Bud (ouch, did I say that), some people drink other fizzy yellow beers for a buzz, but this is what I like the best.

It is a little darker than a traditional American lager, but not to worry, it is very light in body.
It doesn't have any distinctive smell.
It tastes like carmelized malt balanced with hops. I think it might be a little more malty to give it a bit of sweetness, but it is close. It goes down very smooth as a lager should. It feels like the average beer in your mouth, and you can drink this like water.

If you like Pizza and Beer, try Yuengling and the pizza from a local pizza parlor (not a chain--i.e. any hole-in-the-wall with an owner born in Chicago or New York). That is the perfect American meal.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a golden amber with a quarter-inch of foam. Mild carbonation. Head breaks down rather quick.

S - Mild grain scent with a hint of lemon.

T - Cereal grains prevail: rice, corn, and wheat.

M - Not quite thin, but body is lacking.

D - In spite of this beer's history, I was not impressed. I tried and tried, but could get almost no hops influence from this beer. I don't feel left out that I cannot get this in Colorado.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

I had a friend bring this beer back to IL last summer, I had never seen it. I had heard the name before that's it. I do enjoy it. coming from Chicago and the land of bud light and Miller lite it was nice to see a beer that in my opinion is just a basic beer, but with taste. I just got home from PA and did stop in Pottsville and bought some of the traditional Lager. So I will give some to my Neighbor and enjoy the rest myself. I just wish it was available outside the east coast.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Through incessant add campaign beatings and because of a general lack of beer knowledge this beer is called"lager" by most people here in the Lehigh Valley, as if there were no other lagers available. When asked the draught selection, the waiter/tress will always just refer to it as "lager." This really tweaks my lobes if you know what I mean... well you probably don't but that’s ok.

"What about the Beer itself?"-You say. Well let me get right to it then.
I have always like the contrast of the green bottle and the brownish beer inside, although the 22oz bottle from which I poured is brown.
Nose is a little malty with peanut shell notes. A little sour.

Rather watery and dull for the color, a mild metallic flavor along with that mundane American macro amber slight malt presence. Not that much bittering and really lacking much hop characteristic at all. But non-offensive, smooth, and highly poundable. Gets rather boring though.

It is a better choice than macros and I can get it around here for the same price.

Call me crazy but this beer is in my top 5 domestic beer list and without a doubt the best domestic lager in the land. I guess some things get better with age. The oldest american brewery has a winner here!

Without a doubt you need to try. You will not be disappointed.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Yuengling pours a clear red/gold with a thin foamy head. Smell is sweet and grainy. Taste is a grainy malt flavor, very little hops, only a very slight bitterness. Yuengling is better than some, but nothing special, really just a good macro. I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.43/5  rDev +31.5%

This is definitely 'my beer'. I have been drinking this brew since before I was legal. I can vividly remember throwing the bottles as far away from my property as possible, as not to be caught by my parents.

*Appearance pours a golden amber. Does not meet standards for a fancy-pants pour; thick head and lacing. However, if you drink first with your eyes, you would be immediately pleased.

*The smell tells the secret of Yuenglings corn-based recipe, has very little hop smell, but does bouquet a flattering malt aroma.

*The taste, while it may not entice every beer enthusiast in sycophancy, but this beer is what I think of when I hear the word beer and while I may be object, I love this beer.

*Mouthfeel accommodates a well-balanced carbonation and body spectrum.

*Drinkability may be the biggest selling point for this beer. Whether I’m looking for a quality 6-pack to chill out to during a game or I’m buying a few cases for a huge party… I’m going with Yuengling Traditional Lager.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

The bubbles are fast and many, looking like a soda, and the pour produces a thin layer of foam, with poor retention. Color is a clear, glassy amber.

Prevailing aroma recalls lemon-soaked corn, accent on the corn/grain element, the sweeter thing being pretty far back in the smell. Maltiness come on stronger as it sits. Still, it's pretty ho-hum aroma.

Flavor brings in an interesting cherry/honey element, along with the more expected grain/adjunct heartiness and subtle crispy nip of the hops. Corn and plastic start taking over as the sips go on. This has elements I like, but generally it drinks like a slightly above-average macro lager, and the soda-like, over-carbonated mouthfeel doesn't help. Like a macro from a can.

I didn't buy this bottle (no, I didn't steal it either)...and I would never buy this. Life's too short to drink average beer.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear amber body with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles and a pure white head that fades to a thin film after a bit.

S- This beer has a note of fresh pale malt with a slight sulfury sweet hint.

T- There is a slight tang to the pale malt favor that has a note of dry honey malt to it. There is a carbonic acid flavor to the finish but there is also a faint hop hint in there aswell. As this beer warms the sulfury note gets bigger and bigger but the malt flavors do not.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a fizz boost in the finish.

D- This beer is very light but the malt flavors are very nice. It would be nice to have some hop flavors to balance them or cover the sulfury notes a bit.

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%

Love this beer for its price, can't go wrong with this one. Better than any of the macros out there. Too bad you can't have it in LA. Hope they market this beer all over the country, a lot of beer lover is missing a lot. First time I tried this beer was when I had to picked up my cousin who attended Penn State and even went to the brewerey in Pottsville. Great beer for the price.

4.38/5  rDev +30%

A: The lager is an amber color, well-balanced between orange and red. The head measures in around 1 finger but does not retain very well.

S: Aroma is a grainy, but just barely. Not a lot comes out of the glass, aroma-wise.

T: The lager has a soft grainy body, somewhat chewy tasting. The hops are nonexistent but they aren't missed, as the body is smooth and low-key enough to allow several pints.

M: The grainy malts are very good and don't need much hops to have a good taste.

D: Yuengling Lager has a permanent special place in my beer pantheon. It was the first non-macro that I'd ever had and it got me through 4.5 years at Dear Old State.

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz bottle served into a mug. Bottle has '06 extruding from the glass
Appearance: Glugged into the glass, the whole bottle wouldn't fit so I waited until the head dissipated. 2" head right off the bat clung to the top of the glass. Brown/gold color with moderate carbonation surfacing. Some head still lingers at the miniscus of the beer.
Smell: Earthy, metallic. Malt is in there somewhere. Leaves more to be desired for me. However, seems like a typical lager beer.
Taste: Pretty dull. There really aren't any discernable flavors to speak of. Underlying malt flavor gives way to some sweet and bitter taste.
Mouthfeel: Good amount of effervescence. Not overly thick and vinous. Thin enough for a good swallow or chug.
Drinkability: This is clearly a marketed beer for those who want something unassuming and affordable. It is so BLAH that I don't feel like I am drinking anything. Wouldn't bother paying for it.

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured into a tall pilsner glass, it's light amber in color with a very small white head that disappears immediately, leaving just a smidgeon of lacing. Bubbles rise to the surface, giving this a pretty nice overall appearance.

S: Barnyard earthy -- like wet hay and corn, with a tad bit of sweet applejuice thrown in for good measure.

T: Generally non-offensive, but not much going on, either. Roasted corn and a tad bit of malt up front. Finishes with a slight bitterness that coats the tongue and lingers as a metallic bite in the back of your mouth.

M: Relatively light overall, as expected for this style, but with a slight metallic slickness to it. Appropriately carbonated.

D: The best part of this beer -- oddly enough given that none of its other scores are all that high -- is that it's pretty drinkable, especially on a hot summer day. It's got a little more flavor and body than the average American Macro Lager, and it's dirt cheap compared to craft brews. A great post-lawnmowing beer or to be used as I'm using it now -- drinking some of it, pouring some of it into the chili I'm making. . . .

Photo of
2.99/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz. can

Clear gold/amber color. Smallish, off-white head.

Almost briny aroma, not unpleasant. Otherwise, very mild. As it warmed a bit, malt came out as biscuity and there was minimal, if any, hops in aroma.

Very mild flavor. Sweet/malt increased with temperature. Just a bit toasty - very faint. Med. hop presence at finish.

Light bodied, with medium carbonation. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

Pretty good session beer, but nothing remarkable flavor wise.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery