Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,669 | Ratings: 6,250
4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

This beer has a breathtaking red tinge to it.
This beer has slide down my throat like my own saliva.
This beer...Sustains all life.
This beer has the most amazing label ever
I'm sure I'm biased on this beer, being that I'm from philly, but I've never seen a more beautiful beer in my ridiculously experienced 20 years. Everything about this beer says traditional american lager to me. It's basically pre prohibition american lager. This is before Satan peed in our beer and left us with that feminized swill we call coors, budweiser, or miller, or any other "American Lager." The Yuengling brewrey has the longest history of any brewrey still in buisiness and is still centered in a Pennsylavania coal town. This beer is so awsome I want to cry. And right now, i'm so full of yuengling that my tears would taste like it!!! DELAWARE VALLEY PRIDE! center of the universe.

This is an average brew. Plain, simple and without any real distinguishing characteristics other than a moderate price and widespread availability. One could do worse than Yuengling Lager and it is often the only decent tap available in local watering holes.
Some nice floral hops in the nose with traces of biscuit malt. A little darker than a typical macro with a rocky white head. Taste is clean and includes a nice balaance of biscuity malt and floral hops with some fruity highlights. Drinkable on a hot day? Yup!

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Appearance: an amber colored body with a loose thin head that recedes just before I finish the beer. The retention isn't terrible, it just doesn't last long enough.

Smell: Crisp, fruity smell.

Taste: This beer has a fruity hop to it. I have a problem with the metallic taste the beer has. It also has an overly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. No problems here, and it is refreshing.

Drinkability: I guess this is up there with the beers that I could drink a lot of, but I wouldn't pay for it, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it. This used to be my go to beer, but I have drank a lot of beer since then and learned quite a bit.

2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance - Amber color. Medium head that fades to oblivion, no lacing.

Smell - Not gross, but not good at all. Citrusy and piney hop odors that just don't mesh correctly. A slight malt character.

Taste - Slight stomach acid taste in the first moments. Then very strong toasty notes that stick around. It's all right.

Mouthfeel - Thin and acidic. Leaves mouth with an unpleasant stinging. Not the worst thing ever, but pretty close.

Drinkability - Would go well with a lot of foods. Not too powerful, leaving the option for another wide open. The acidic nature makes me want a nice porter though, not another yuengling.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%

I'm a big fan of Yuengling. I moved to the mid-Atlantic in 1998, never having tried it before, and have been a fan ever since. Plus, it's such a solid alternative to so many of the bland and mass-produced American-style lagers out there. It's not a great beer, and there's no real aroma worth writing home about, but it is crisp and often refreshing. It won't impress too many knowledgeable beer drinkers, but I don't think it's trying to. It reminds me, in a sense, of Shiner Bock, which I used to drink lots of in Texas, although they don't taste a lot alike. They do, however, present themselves in an unpretentious and dependable manner. It isn't fancy, but it is credible.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

poured from a 22 oz. bottle into pint glass
copper-reddish color with an initially sizable head that fell fast and disappeared. smelled musty, sort of like old leather. tasted mildy sweet with mellow malt and a faint metallic hop note that crept into the finish. crisp light-bodied mouthfeel. a solid, balanced lager that could be consumed for a whole night. nothing sticks out in particular but this brew isn't trying to be anything it's not. a decent utility beer for a palate that needs a break or just feels lazy.

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%

I had this on tap at a company outing.

Taps a beautiful light orange/amber color with a 1 finger head of white, large bubbles. Head drops to barely a ring in @ 3 minutes. No lacing. Strong carbonation evident.

DMS is, unfortunately, the only thing I smell every time I drink this beer. Sweet cooked corn, caramel corn, and very, very faint herbal hops if I work my ass off to smell them.

The flavor is dominated by sweet cooked veggies, thin, watery, slight hop bitterness for balance. The aftertaste is short sweet caramel corn.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation scoots across the tongue. Finish is somewhat chalky and astringent.

I wouldn't want to drink this all day long. It's not very interesting, nor is it thirst quenching. It's not a bad beer, there's just not much going on here.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to Brent for hand-carrying this bottle from Washington DC to Moscow. The beer pours a clear light copper hue under a one finger light beige head that settles disappointingly quickly. The nose is full of sweet malt, with a hint of raspberry syrup. The mouth is quite light and very prickly. The tastebuds are met by mild malt, with minimal malt balance. There is a touch of tartness, which converts to a metallic finish that lingers into the aftertaste. Globetrotterette was so unimpressed that she let me finish her portion. Can't say I was any more smitten of this bland brew.

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a clear golden amber body with a decent white head. Nice full malty aroma with a light sweetness to it. Incredibly smooth mouthfeel, very refreshing. Good malty taste, with a only a hint of hops, just enough to make it balanced. For a mass produced lager, this is pretty good stuff, which is good because it's easy to find at most bars in the mid-atlantic region.

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

This score is somewhat unfair. I had a Gumballhead, Pliny the Elder, MH #9, and a cask ale BEFORE I had this one poured.

Normally, Yuengling will work just fine for me as a simple beer to have with friends at a game. I like Yuengling.

But it was oh so plain and oh so bland, and the flavor actually came across rather offensive instead of unobtrusive. Poured somewhat reddish and had no nose or real taste other than an off-water flavor.

Drink one if they're around, but nothing to go out of your way for.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%

This is one of those beers to gateway individuals into craft brews. the amber tone and big head give this a nice appearance for starters. As you taste it you realize that its pretty good lager. Smooth mouthfeel; the flavor is not much to right home about but, I fine that's the case with most lagers compared with ales. It works well as a session beer.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

I picked this Pennsylvania classic up in Florida after trying one at Disney's Sci-fi at MGM. After walking in 90+ degree heat, thisone was such a treat, I had to find some and bring some home. Found at a Winn-Dixie.
The beer pours a nice amber/gold with a fair white head. No fizz to thisone as a nice web of lace coats the glass. The aroma was grainlike with a mild sweet malt background. Another reviewer mentioned Vienna, could be.
The taste, not strong but a sweet malted grian with a hint of citric hop to crisp things up. This classic combo makes for a very drinkable brew anytime with a meal. A real treat indeed when temps raise for summer stuff.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%

I asked my dad to bring me back a Pennsylvania beer when he went to Philly, and this is what he gave me. Initially, I was disappointed because, though I knew this was America's oldest brewery, I guess I associated it with Iron City--a shitty micro-macro. This notion was dispelled when I poured it, as I was greeted by a gorgeous reddish-golden beer with dynamic bubble action. It smells slightly of chemically-coated plastic, but no matter. It tastes great, ridiculously smooth, very refreshing. Nothing especially interesting in the taste, nothing groundbreaking, just a very solid beer, very drinkable beer. I can see why this brewery stuck around.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A classic beer in Steeler's Bar- Mars area, PA.

The Lager came with a frosty glass and at 95 degrees that day I went with it. My review is on the second bottle- which I retained the now ready glass for.

Whipped head and a bronze color that approached a Sam Adams.

Little aroma but a lightly sweet body and finish.

Interesting enough to convert the Coors Light regulars?
Maybe.

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

I think I'm just immune to this at this point b/c I used to actually like this beer out of the bottle about 8 years ago.
Appears a light amber color with a small white head that soon leaves the glass. Some spotty lacing is left behind.
Smell is of faint caramel and vienna malts with a mild hop aroma.
Taste is pretty average. Slightly malty lager without a whole lot of character has a mild biscuit taste and a mild zing that makes it somewhat enjoyable.
Mouthfeel is ok at best. Nothing really complicated here, as it leans towards the malt end and lingers on the front of the tongue.
Drinkability is a little better than average. Nothing to really get excited about though.

It's ok, dog.

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

I had this at a bar in Germantown, MD.

The pour had a fairly decent appearance -- light copper color and a thin foamy head. Minimal lacing as the beer was consumed.
The smell was clean; nice and malty with detectable hops.

And then the first taste certainly did not impress me. The pour seemed highly carbonated and tasted a bit metallic. The taste was on the sweet side and had some decent bitter. Beyond that there was nothing that stood out taste-wise -- it was rather bland.

The carbonation was very noticable in the mouth. I was no fond of this feeling.

This is one of the few beers I have every actually not finished (I drank 75% of the glass). I'm certainly not going to order this one again unless I get a taste of one that is better for some reason.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Seeing the only place you can buy this beer is in PA( it can be bought in NJ & NY also as far as i know), a buddy brought up a 6-pack. This is by far the poor mans Sam Adams and a rich mans Bud.. It has a pale golden hue to it. The head is a sea-foam white. It goes down quick and smooth, with no hint of a after taste. You can drink a 6-pack and not even know it. It will give you a good, quick buzz so be careful. But this is a good beer to have in the summer time when you are firing up the grill. Smooth and refreshing!

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this from a bottle at a restaurant which was lacking in selection. Golden amber with a thin head that disappeared quickly, no lacing, and lots of carbonation bubbles. Nose is almost non-existant, with just the fatest trace of malts coming through. Taste is more of the same, a washed out maltiness, maybe a little caramel, nasty astringent aftertaste. Body is thin and the beer is overcarbonated. It's been a long time since I've had one of these, and now I can see why.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Pretty average. Nothing special or exciting about it. Very non threatening. If I had to pay two dollars a bottle more at a bar than I would have to pay for Bud Miller or Coors, I'd probably get a Bud Miller or Coors (well, not Bud).
Maybe I'd pay $1 more for a bottle if I had to.
Generally overrated, I feel, but not a bad beer.

3.47/5  rDev +3%

I had this beer in Altoona,PA and it was one of the biggest seller in the PA beer market. Now I understand why. I had it on tap, then in bottle. On tap, it pours a beautiful golden honey brown colour with a white foamy head changing very quickly to laces. It lacks smell, but its taste buys back for the lack of smell. It got lot of savour. It tastes like sort of honey beer. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but it is fun enough to be enjoyed. Overall, it was a pretty good beer on tap. In bottle, it was more average as product. I don't know why, but at least, it was much better than BMC macros.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Surprisingly quaffable, for a macro lager, especially at the end of a hot day, with few beer choices at an official function. Assertive carbonation, medium mouthfeel. A tad of hops, more malt, and sweet and dry finish. Bit of yeast flavour translated as lemon.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Beer pours a nice amber color with a good amount bubbles and head. IT has a little of that Euro-Sewer smell but not too bad. Not too much to talk about inteh flavor department but it is a little sweet. The mouthfeel is watery and bubbly yet smooth. Considering it is a macro it isn't that bad though. It does what a beer in this price range should do; go down easy and refresh.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Beer pours a dark straw color with lots of head and lots of effervescent bubbling going on. Due to the green glass bottle instead of a brown bottle, I think maybe so light reactions occur with this beer, giving it a slight skunk odor/ taste. These smells and odors are not bad though. There are definitely worse offenders out there. With that being said, this is still a good, light, refreshing beer with some nice hop aroma and malt balance. I think it is a good beer for the price, and in my experiences, a much better beer in the bottle than on draft.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Yuengling Lager is right up there with one of my all time favorite, albeit mass produced, beers.

Beer poured from tap has a rich amber color with moderate carbonation and a head that is very thin. Had a small 'ring' that remained until about half the glass was left.

I could barely detect any smell at all and the taste is smooth, sweet, and consistent even when the beer warms.

Not the most complex of beers, but definitely head and shoulders above a lot of the mass produced American Lagers that Yuengling sits next to in your groceries beer aisle.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a clear amber with hints of orange and a small head that quickly falls. Sweet cereal grains along with a grassy/herbal hop nose. Unremarkable, yet unoffensive.

First sip opens with a crisp, grainy malt body with hints of caramel and corn. Fairly sweet flavor profile. This went well along with some leftover chinese food. Grassy, herbal hops show up on the swallow.

Fairly light body that relies on carbonation to make it feel fuller. Not a beer I'd ever seek out. Still this is a step above the major macros. Why the hell do they have to use a green bottle?? Thanks to kmpitz2 for hooking me up with this one.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery