Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,686 | Ratings: 6,330
3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

This brew pours to a light amber color with a nice sized head that breaks down quickly leaving a faint amount of lacing at the top of the glass and then nothing the rest of the way. Looks to have a lot of carbonation in it and the aromas seem to be slightly skunky but not overly with some malt like characteristics. I do not notice any real definable hop scents. The taste is pretty basic, which is not really a bad thing. Mostly malt flavor, somewhat bready with a slight hop taste. Very carbonated brew, I would think it would be a fair lawn mowing brew.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Reviewed a bottle of this and found it slightly more interesting. The bottled version had a bit of complexity to the smell, but was pretty average, otherwise. On-tap, it seemed 100% macrobrewed, despite the fact that it is a small town brewery with low-medium production level. I'll choose it over the true macro brews out of respect for the smalltown tradition, but will avoid if I have a decent choice of micros.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Purchased at Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

I place Yuengling up there with Sam Adams as a really decent, widely-available, inexpensive lager that has quite a bit of taste. Whenever I find this on tap, I tend to order a pint or three, although I prefer it at home, where I can drink it at cellar temp.

Pours a nice dark amber color. CLear body, but dark enough to impede light. It starts out with a nice thick off-white head but that dissipates pretty quickly.

No hops present at all in the nose, all I get is a top-level fruitiness with a bit of that generic "beer" aroma that almost certainly comes from the yeast. Decent.

The taste is very similar to the smell, primarily made up of fruit with no hops, but I like it a lot better that way. Leaves an aftertaste like apples. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but leaves a bit of a punch to the palate. To-style -- I'm giving it a good rating.

I can drink about three of these at a sitting, but that's about it. A very good beer, perfect with pizza or a burger.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

I moved from Minnesota to Philly and all I hear was “wait ‘till you try Yuengling!” I had some pretty high hopes for this one. Boy, was I disappointed. It was no better than Leinenkugel Lager, or Schell’s Lager. It’s a bit better than the slew of American macro brews, but not by much. There’s more nostalgia here than quality. It pours a nice golden color and has a flat head that sticks around for a while. But the taste is pretty lifeless. It’s clearly corny with an awkward sourness that's followed up by a dirty dryness. I get the impression that it's catering to the lowest common denominator of beer drinkers. I guess I shouldn't be too suprised. It isn’t really bad, but nothing really stands up and asserts itself here. The mouth feel was all right and…. Boring!

3.29/5  rDev -2.4%

Yuengling is one of a handful of regional domestic macros that seem to still care somewhat about quality because their beer is superior to their advertising.
This is their flagship , a reddish gold lager with some temporary head and respectable lacing. The scent is a fairly pungent sweet corn , not too sharp.
The beer is more complex than first appearances would figure, with a smooth, light, taste that manages a few different flavors as it falls over your tongue and down your throat. There is decent malt/hops balance and the water used must be quality because the beer feels right in your mouth..maybe they use similar H2O as local rival Rolling Rock,another regional macro with higher than usual standards.
Enjoyable, inexpensive, and increasingly available outside of PA.

3.2/5  rDev -5%

A green 12oz bottle with a twist off cap.

Poured a copper color with a 1 inch head of white foam and plenty of carbonation bubbles raising to the top of the glass. The best way I can describe the smell is, malt wrapped around the aroma of burnt hair. Maybe not burnt hair, but something to do with hair. Not pleasant. The taste was nothing too special, but it is more flavorful than the average macro. This is another one that the mouthfeel was too light and watery for me. This beer would make an excellent choice for a nice affordable easy to drink session beer. It's too bad they don't sell this beer in Ohio because I might like another one.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

One of my favorite drinking beers. It has no head to speak of, but unless you're drinking ale a head is way over-rated. This beer has a slight amber color, slightly darker than American commercial fare. It smells wonderfully hoppy, one of it's great asets. the taste is more than adequate, full and not quite creamy and not overbearing or understated. Some beers are brewed to savor and some are there for drinking, this is a drinking beer. Like the old Schaefer commercial this is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.

Overall: If you're looking for outstanding style and regal elegance, look elsewhere, if you're looking for a great beer to drink at your block party grab a few cases.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Presentation: 12oz green glass longneck generic bottle, multicolored on cream label

Appearance: clear golden color, medium head, minor lacing

Smell: minor malt and hops aroma

Taste: thin body, very watery mouth feel, light sweet malt, some hoppy bitterness

Notes: below average brew

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

This was a nice reddish-amber brew with a one and a half finger head that died away somewhat quickly. It would have been at least a 4 if there was more head retention.

Aroma was mainly of caramel malts and a touch of hops... this one was really all about the malt.

That carried through to flavor as well. I tasted slightly sweet malts, a touch of grains that was not unpleasant (for a change), and no hop character whatsoever.

Mouthfeel was smooth, not as watery as I would have thought from the lack of head.

Drinkability... although I don't like lagers in general, this one was above par. Not striking, but a good solid 3.5. I'd have this again as a session beer if it were offered.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%

So i've been swigging a few of these while sitting on the beach and reading. It's vacation.

Very drinkable. Pleasant flavor, and more of it than BMC. Nothing earth shattering, but this one is a good buy at the price point, and very "refreshing" when you're out in the hot sun. Not a time for Barleywine.

May pick up a few more this afternoon.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a medium amber with a 1 finger head and OK lace. Aroma of light malt with light hops. Smells light and clean. Taste is good for a macro. A clean and crisp light malt with a slight hop flavor and bitterness - leans more towards the malt side. Not the typical rice flavor that you get from other macros. Overall a good macro, much better than BMC and I usually keep a twelve pack in the fridge. Not a great beer but still decent quality enough for most BA's.

4.28/5  rDev +27%

Yuengling Traditional Lager is one of my favorites. At home, I usually alternate between this, Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It is available at most bars in Tidewater Virginia, sometimes priced the same as Bud and Coors. Yuengling has a great amber color, with a small, off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Leaves a little lacing on the glass. Smell is good. Taste is nicely balanced, not too sweet, good flavor and not a whole lot of bitterness. There is no unusual aftertaste. Drinkability is very good. I would not belt it down as fast as Bud or Coors Light, since I enjoy the flavor too much. But it is a good session beer as well as a good beer to savor and enjoy.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: orangey amber with 1.5 finger cream-colored head. Moderate lacing.

Smell: citrusy hops and not much else. Very clean, light aroma.

Taste: light bready malt and citrusy hops with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: tight carbonation gives a clean, light mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Easy on the palate without being bland. Excellent session beer.

2.72/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a can into a straight sided pint. Grainy with a bit of floral hop aroma. That may be a strech. No problems with the appearance. Exactly as it should be pale/straw with a thin cap of snow white head. No real hop flavor or bitterness at all. Not much bitterness to speak of either. Just grainy. Med bodied with lively CO2 rolls through the mouth. Very drying. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect from the style. I’d chose Yuengling any day over the big boys.

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a green 12-ouncer with a twist-off cap. Head is 1-1/2" or so, but only briefly on top of a golden-copper colored brew.

Aroma: Malts and wheat predominate. This smells just a little bit better than your average macro.

As far as taste and mouthfeel go, they're appropriate to a style that's actually much better to drink as a "standby" beer than a macro pilsner, say. As this beer warms it comes off kind of sour, so this one is best consumed cold.

Yuengling Traditional Lager's drinkability is solid and reliablye good. As I said above, a good standby beer for barbecues or just chillin at home.

4.23/5  rDev +25.5%

Not so much a review as a testimonial...this is the beer that took me out of the world of macrobeers; the BMC's, if you will. I was always hesitant to drink anything darker than a Bud or MGD, but once I tasted a Lager, I was forever changed. Add to this the fact that a sixer of Lager was the same price as (if no less than) a sixer of one of the macros. Serving this at cookouts at my place always elicits a "hey, this is pretty good" from the BMC drinkers.

Always my fall-back beer when I'm not in the mood for a micro, I can, with a clear conscience, enjoy a Lager and know that I am not in the grasp of the "evil" macro-brewers.

4.03/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours an interesting amber color, slight head that vanishes soon. Aroma is slightly hoppy and bready. Taste is carmelly sweet up front, with hops in the mid to finish taste. Good for an American macrotype lager. Mouthfeel is actually kinda harsh. Perhaps overcarbonated to my tastes. Very drinkable and enjoyable on a hot day.

4.68/5  rDev +38.9%

This beer has a breathtaking red tinge to it.
This beer has slide down my throat like my own saliva.
This beer...Sustains all life.
This beer has the most amazing label ever
I'm sure I'm biased on this beer, being that I'm from philly, but I've never seen a more beautiful beer in my ridiculously experienced 20 years. Everything about this beer says traditional american lager to me. It's basically pre prohibition american lager. This is before Satan peed in our beer and left us with that feminized swill we call coors, budweiser, or miller, or any other "American Lager." The Yuengling brewrey has the longest history of any brewrey still in buisiness and is still centered in a Pennsylavania coal town. This beer is so awsome I want to cry. And right now, i'm so full of yuengling that my tears would taste like it!!! DELAWARE VALLEY PRIDE! center of the universe.

This is an average brew. Plain, simple and without any real distinguishing characteristics other than a moderate price and widespread availability. One could do worse than Yuengling Lager and it is often the only decent tap available in local watering holes.
Some nice floral hops in the nose with traces of biscuit malt. A little darker than a typical macro with a rocky white head. Taste is clean and includes a nice balaance of biscuity malt and floral hops with some fruity highlights. Drinkable on a hot day? Yup!

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Appearance: an amber colored body with a loose thin head that recedes just before I finish the beer. The retention isn't terrible, it just doesn't last long enough.

Smell: Crisp, fruity smell.

Taste: This beer has a fruity hop to it. I have a problem with the metallic taste the beer has. It also has an overly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. No problems here, and it is refreshing.

Drinkability: I guess this is up there with the beers that I could drink a lot of, but I wouldn't pay for it, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it. This used to be my go to beer, but I have drank a lot of beer since then and learned quite a bit.

2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance - Amber color. Medium head that fades to oblivion, no lacing.

Smell - Not gross, but not good at all. Citrusy and piney hop odors that just don't mesh correctly. A slight malt character.

Taste - Slight stomach acid taste in the first moments. Then very strong toasty notes that stick around. It's all right.

Mouthfeel - Thin and acidic. Leaves mouth with an unpleasant stinging. Not the worst thing ever, but pretty close.

Drinkability - Would go well with a lot of foods. Not too powerful, leaving the option for another wide open. The acidic nature makes me want a nice porter though, not another yuengling.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%

I'm a big fan of Yuengling. I moved to the mid-Atlantic in 1998, never having tried it before, and have been a fan ever since. Plus, it's such a solid alternative to so many of the bland and mass-produced American-style lagers out there. It's not a great beer, and there's no real aroma worth writing home about, but it is crisp and often refreshing. It won't impress too many knowledgeable beer drinkers, but I don't think it's trying to. It reminds me, in a sense, of Shiner Bock, which I used to drink lots of in Texas, although they don't taste a lot alike. They do, however, present themselves in an unpretentious and dependable manner. It isn't fancy, but it is credible.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

poured from a 22 oz. bottle into pint glass
copper-reddish color with an initially sizable head that fell fast and disappeared. smelled musty, sort of like old leather. tasted mildy sweet with mellow malt and a faint metallic hop note that crept into the finish. crisp light-bodied mouthfeel. a solid, balanced lager that could be consumed for a whole night. nothing sticks out in particular but this brew isn't trying to be anything it's not. a decent utility beer for a palate that needs a break or just feels lazy.

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%

I had this on tap at a company outing.

Taps a beautiful light orange/amber color with a 1 finger head of white, large bubbles. Head drops to barely a ring in @ 3 minutes. No lacing. Strong carbonation evident.

DMS is, unfortunately, the only thing I smell every time I drink this beer. Sweet cooked corn, caramel corn, and very, very faint herbal hops if I work my ass off to smell them.

The flavor is dominated by sweet cooked veggies, thin, watery, slight hop bitterness for balance. The aftertaste is short sweet caramel corn.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Medium carbonation scoots across the tongue. Finish is somewhat chalky and astringent.

I wouldn't want to drink this all day long. It's not very interesting, nor is it thirst quenching. It's not a bad beer, there's just not much going on here.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to Brent for hand-carrying this bottle from Washington DC to Moscow. The beer pours a clear light copper hue under a one finger light beige head that settles disappointingly quickly. The nose is full of sweet malt, with a hint of raspberry syrup. The mouth is quite light and very prickly. The tastebuds are met by mild malt, with minimal malt balance. There is a touch of tartness, which converts to a metallic finish that lingers into the aftertaste. Globetrotterette was so unimpressed that she let me finish her portion. Can't say I was any more smitten of this bland brew.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery