Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,664 | Ratings: 6,199
3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer pours a dark golden color. Nothing outstanding about the smell taste or feel - its a simple lager. However, this was the first beer I loved and I still love it. Its just a nostalgic taste for me with having grown up near Philly and everyone in my family drinking this beer growing up. I've always described it as the best cheap beer money can buy. Its a really good drinkable beer.

3.01/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Quick review: A nice everyday beer. A far cry from Blandweiser. Crisp clean mouth feel with no bitter aftertaste. A staple on draft in my local bars. Goes nice with most fare. Can have more than a few without feeling pickled. I keep this one on hand most of the time. Slight amber color. Head disappears quickly but this one goes down easy, so not much of a factor. Highly recommended for an all day beverage during the game.

I have been to the Yuengling brewery. They still ferment their beer in a cave. That's pretty sweet! If a bar does not have Iron City I then ask for a Yuengling. This beer is a step up in taste from Budweiser, Miller and Coors. It's a good beer. Did you know Budweiser copied the eagle of Yuengling? Budweiser sucks!

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my first loves of beer. Now that I am in love with hops, when I turn to a lager I need to readjust my taste buds. Consistent American beer that is a fairly good buy.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: Dark golden. About 2 fingers of off white foamy head that recedes in a few moments and leaves a ring. Mild, short lived lacing down the glass. Plenty of small bubbles rising.
AROMA: Toasted bread, grassy, super slight amount of sulfur, a bit of caramel, and to me what I perceive as corn husk.
TASTE: Basically, a lot like the smell.
FEEL: Medium thin body, nice full carbonation, dry finish.
OVERALL: I think it's an alright, refreshing lager. If you want a touch more flavor for a few more calories than a standard light beer, this might work well.

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not available in my area and just got some from a friend who does quite a bit of sales. Buddy claimed it was very popular and my guess is the history of the brewery and longevity of the beer is what makes it popular in its area, or simply the area has different tastes than the upper midwest?

Good beer but nothing overly special. Has decent body and not much of an aftertaste - for me this is not a go to beer, though it IS a good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +38%

WOW. No really, WOW. This stuff is ridiculously wonderful. It has a great taste, not too heavy not too light, not too hoppy not too plain Jane, not too carbonated, good smell. All relative to the price WHICH by the way is pretty darn cheap, but then again I was in Pennsylvania where it is brewed so it may be cheaper there. Put it this way, they should raise the price. It's WAY better than the Bud/Miller/Coors line up. Excellent Beer!!!

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Medium clear amber color with a 3 finger white head. Nose is a faint bread yeast. This reminded me of the smell from being outside the HS Bakery in Fells Point, Baltimore. Sweet on the tip of the tongue, malt and the faintest of hops. Moderate carbonation and body. This is the most drinkable of the American non-craft beers and the only one I will drink. No Miller, Coors or Bud passes over my tongue. And . . . this is an independent, not part of a international mega corp like Bud. When I have a party and do not want to waste good craft beer on non-caring beer drinkers, I serve this. Great with wings, steamed crabs and 'cue.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous beer. Tastes better than most mass produced lagers out there. Never offensive and at this low abv it's totally crushable. Not a bad choice when nothing but AAL are available.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass. The green bottle might be skunky, so my review will be reflecting this.

Pours a clear amber with lots of bubbly streams of carbonation and a finger of off white head. The aroma offers green grass, sweet corn, brown sugary grain, and toasted biscuit.
Caramel, toast, and corn hit the tongue, followed by green apple, faint earth, lots of freshly clipped grass, and a touch of lemon to balance things out. Quite crisp and clean--except for a touch too much of caramel sweetness, this is near pilsner level of sessionability.
The mouthfeel is light, but not thin or watery, and well carbonated. Very easy to throw back.

Though I don't drink this one much anymore, this was an old favorite, an introduction to craft beer, and still remains one of the best cheap, widely available craft lagers on the market.

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours a creamy white head that takes a while to dissipate. The beer itself is a clear medium amber color. The overall look isn't bad but it isn't very inspiring or anything super fancy. It's just enough to get the job done.

The smell is pretty simple but it isn't bad. A light hop bitterness mixed with sweet and very light caramel malt notes. Slight alcohol note. Although, it comes off as soda sometimes but it still has more personality than those other mass produced brands.

The taste is just as simple as the smell. Light hop bitterness with a slightly stronger light caramel malt note with a slight alcohol note that comes out fairly strongly.

The feel is pretty light with some biting carbonation. It has enough texture to be drinkable.

Overall, an acceptable beer for the craft beer geek if there's no Boston Lager around anywhere. This is something you bring out for parties where you need some mass appeal.

4.11/5  rDev +22%

This isn't a beer I pour, smell, allow to warm (deliberately), or make a big fuss about the countless aspects of its flavor, because I didn't pay $10 for 6 beers. Although, I will say the bottles taste better than cans, justifying the whole $.20 price difference. I digress. Whether I'm on a lake bank tossing out a line, floating in a canoe sweating them out faster than I drink them, running a beer pong table, or on my porch playing guitar, Yuengling fails to disappoint. It doesn't taste like carbonated water, and it doesn't have the calories of a steak dinner. Right in the middle. Crisp, refreshing, affordable, flavorful, and pairs well with anything (especially another Yuengling). This was the first beer I had without the word "light" behind it when I was (non incriminating) years old. It opened my eyes to a world of beer beyond Bud, Miller, and Coor's, so I'm slightly biased on this one. Regardless, if you haven't tried it, give it a swig. There's nothing fancy or gimmicky about it. Just a solid, tasty beer. This is my "go to" when I don't want to spend more money on a sixer of something I end up hating. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not bad at all, especially for the price. Almost always there when nothing else is. A classic go to lager, for the low price of the high end gas station beer

3.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Yo this beer is the best cheap beer on the market.
look: It looks like you grinded up a pine cone and a bag of wheat together...surprisingly it looks like a christmas tree that died.
Smell:Like it looks, malt, wheaty and taste like a white christmas tree.
Taste: Really surprised with this one. Wasn't expecting much but hot amighty is it good. Literally tastes like the garden of eden. Picture walking into a meadow and blending a pinecone into a fresh stream that is what this beer taste like...THIS BEER IS A YUP.
Feel: Feels like you're drinking from the garden of eden....yessir.
Overall: Highly suggest, if you're looking for a cheaper beer that has good taste, this should be your go to beer. HOLLA

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

02/09/13

In college, this was "good beer"; amazing how the mighty have fallen.

AROMA: Vegetable, hops, dishwater?, Skunk?
LOOK: Light Orange color. Small Head.
TASTE: It's soapy. A touch of caramel.
FEEL: Not very lively.

Side by side comparison with Fordham Helles Lager, Victory Lager and Yuengling Lager.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

When you are looking for simply a classic lager. This is it. This is a solid "go to" beer when at a restaurant that doesn't sell any decent crafts. Yuengling will always have a place in my heart as an enjoyable cheap beer.

Had this out of a can. Smelled like budweiser. Taste like a fuller flavored budweiser. Feel is alright. I had it at a wedding just to try with a few friends. I'm not a budweiser fan so this didn't do it for me, though I prefer this beer to that. Not terrible, but just really similar to the smell and taste of budweiser.

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden amber, with an ample head of fine off-white suds. Attractive web of lacing.

Aroma: Caramel malts, grain, toffee, a bit of fruitiness.

Taste: Rich and caramel-malty, both smooth and easy to drink. This amber lager is infinitely better than all the American adjunct “junk” lagers, and certainly one I’d not turn down if offered again. Maybe not a completely perfect brew, but one that certainly pleases for the price point.

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Decent enough traditional lager. Grassy and dry with lively carbonation. Easy drinkability. A little sweetness and bread in there but has a hint of lemony citron that cuts through. There are many worse offerings out there.

1.66/5  rDev -50.7%

Disappointingly poor. The first few I tried, I liked. But, as I became more familiar, I began to notice a sourness. It tastes good, but there was an unacceptable "extra" taste to their beer. I did not find that same sour taste in their Light version. I will write it off to the green bottle. Their light comes in a brown bottle and it actually tastes better, to me, than the Traditional Lager. Certainly better than most, but I would suggest they stop the green bottle use and get all their beer in brown bottles.

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%

Dark amber in color with a thick 2 finger head that quickly dissipated.
Malty, grassy and bready in the aroma. Good amount of carbonation gives that prickley bite on the end of your tongue. Taste is sweet malts, grass, bread and light hop presence. This to me is just a good representation of the style. Smooth well balanced and very drinkable. Not a world class beer, but in my opinion, a very enjoyable Good beer!

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 ounce can poured into pint glass. Light copper in color. Small beige head. Smells of corn, faint caramel, malts, grain, corn. Taste is caramel, some adjunct grain, corn, some hints of toffee. Good carb, and very easy and refreshing to drink. I've also had it on tap and in the bottle, but much prefer this beer from the can. Much better option than any of the other adjunct type styles.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Look - dark golden with thin white head, zero lacing

Aroma - strong yeast, malts

Flavor - toasted malt, follows the nose, some caramel hints

Feel - medium body, dry and crisp yeasty finish

Overall - I'm not a macro beer guy but this is the one I can most tolerate as a PA boy...I do like the toasted flavor

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my go to beer when I lived on the East Coast. Hopefully one day they will ship west past the Mississippi. If you're out East, definitely give it a try if you've never had one before.

The beer pours a nice dark golden color every time.

The taste is great and never gets old.

The smell is average, nothing too special.

Ah the memories, wish I had one right now. Drink on!

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from draft in a translucent copper cold. Smells of slight caramel sweetness with a wet cardboard note. Body is thin and watery. There is a gentle caramel sweetness that is fleeting across the tongue. Aftertaste is mildly offensive with notes of wet paper.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery