Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Ratings: 6,448 |  Reviews: 1,716
2.78/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

4.18/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

The myth, the legend, the beer. Yuengling is, in my opinion, probably the greatest American beer ever made.

From the bottle and from the can, the aroma can be a bit harsh. Somewhat skunky (thanks green bottle), crackery and with a metallic tinge from the can. However, thankfully, the taste doesn't quite follow the nose. When drank straight from the bottle, it's more crackery and ever so slightly skunky at times, but the malts and hops still come through a bit. From the can, it gets a bit better, still slightly harsh, but the skunkyness is subdued, and the malts and hops shine through better.

This beer really shines when poured into a glass, however, as I suppose you would expect.
If poured well, the beer leaves a really nice fluffy and effervescent head that actually has really, really good retention. Lacing is decent, more so than most any other beers in this price range. Impressive, really. As far as color goes, it looks good enough for me; a beautiful amber-red hue, decently clear but not completely transparent. It looks beautiful in my old Falstaff glass.

The aroma when poured into a glass is very much subdued, but perhaps for the better. It smells somewhat caramel-like, slightly malty.

When taking a sip, the mouthfeel is perfect for me. Perhaps a bit watery for some, but hey, it's a lager. To me the upside is that it feels very creamy when paired with the flavor.

Speaking of which, the flavor follows the nose but brings more. Caramel-like malts bring a slight toasty character with them, which works rather well, as well as a bit of a crackery note, maybe a slight Munich malt kind of flavor. Overall very German tasting. A slight dank Germanic hop note takes a very subtle back seat, but that's a good place for it. As the beer warms a bit however, it really starts to impress me. A very bready malt aftertaste takes over, very caramelly, and suddenly this starts to taste like a watered down Oktoberfest. I really can't complain about that.

Overall, for me, this is THE go-to perfect session beer. If this was sold in my state, I would buy a case of it every time I go beer shopping. However, since it isn't, every time I'm in the distribution area, I buy a case or several to take home with me. I'm proud to say my family and friends are all Yuengling lovers and we have several cases in our basements to enjoy. Ein Prosit to America's greatest beer.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1.74/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

1.37/5  rDev -59.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Tried this on tap and quickly found out this was a mistake. The beer looked hazy and not in a good way. The foam quickly faded and it basically looked like flat cola. There was little to no lacing left clinging to the sides of the glass which I suspect was not 100% clean either. The carbonation was way too much giving me unpleasant gas. It looked and smelled like flat soda that has been sitting on the shelf for years. It got even worse once it started to warm up a little. The mouth feel was what I can only describe as "chunky". This was not a good beer. In fact this was terrible. I'd sooner have a PBR which is saying something since I can't stand Pabst Blue Ribbon. I had to down a couple of tequila shots just to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. A D- on the grade scale. Do yourself a favor and avoid this at all costs unless you want strange gas and severe stomach pains all night long.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

2.73/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I remember when I first started drinking beer, Yuengling was considered a top shelf beer. I was drinking whatever the bar would sell me out of the backdoor since I was too young to drive, let alone buy beer.
Now, we have much more variety of more expensive beer to pick from.

But you know, these days, money is sometimes hard to come by. Thus I still drink Yuengling products. All I can find. I think this comes closest to what beer might have been like "back in the day" Whatever that day was, I don't know.
Drink drink drink and be merry!

4.49/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm sorry for the 4.75, it's gonna make people so mad. I've had over 275 beers, including 25 lagers. This is just the standard by which I judge. It's world class taste, feel, and look, Imo. There are lots of great ones, and this medium bodied, beautiful red/brown, perfectly balanced lager is the best, imo.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the beer that got me started drinking craft beer. While it doesn't wow me like it once did, it is still my go to American lager when I want something light and easy drinking. Compared to most American macro lagers, this one has some actual flavor. Notes of caramel and a very slight roastiness are present along with some corn adjunct. It's a very clean beer with no off flavors, but nothing that will blow you away either. Just an easy drinking American lager.

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.02/5  rDev -10.4%

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.09/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great intense flavor of MALT, a little heavy under and behind the tongue but the aroma is full of Hops and Caramel. Not a bad beer to drink with a nice slice of New York Style Pizza. The fats and oils from the pizza cheese blend very well with this Lager!

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark copper color with a lace of head. Smell has some adjunct aromas, but kinda malty. Not much flavor, no bitterness, a little dry. Overall a bland Amber Lager.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Scent of sweet malt , beery. Sort of nothing flavor of slightly sweet biscuit malt. Well carbonated and light. Inoffensive I guess. Sorta ok. I remember back in the 90's when you would ask for a lager around the Philly area, this is the beer the bartender produced.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery