Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,660 |  Reviews: 1,752
2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer has become a Pennsylvania institution. Order simply "lager" almost anywhere in the state and this is what you will get. I for one was never really a fan. For example I ended up drinking it this time at my step father's 70th birthday party which had an open bar featuring Miller Lite or you guessed it, Yuengling Lager. I guess that puts in perspective what circumstances will lead me to drinking this beer.

It's certainly not BAD, just certainly not good either. The look is completely average. It has almost no smell, and tastes watered down and too bready.

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with decent head. Not a very pleasent smell, mostly consists of citrus fruits and sour malts. The slight citrus scent carries over to the flavor where the citrus flavors mingle with the typical lager maltiness and finishes up with a bit of crisp hop bitterness. Not at all a bad brew, this is a good brew to have when you have a few friends over that are afriad to venture to far from macro brews.

2.15/5  rDev -37%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

I drink this beer about every other day, so I think I have enough credentials to at least review it, though I may be slightly biased. In Philly bars, all you have to say is "lager" and you get one of these.

It pours a nice amber with a sort-of-white head that dissipates in under a minute.

Upon first taste, you get what I used to call the "Yuengling taste," which I have sinced learned (from a tour of the brewery in Pottsville) is corn. It's the only beer that I've had, to my knowledge, that uses corn as an ingredient. Inexperienced beer drinkers tend not to like this taste. You can pick up the corn in the aroma as well, but it isn't overpowering.

This is a real easy-drinking beer and very refreshing when you need one. Yuengling Traditional Lager will always be my "default beer."

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber color with about a quarter inch of whiteish head. Lacing is decent.

Smell: I've had this beer so many times its hard to describe it as anything other than "It smells like Yuengling." Sweet odors reminiscent of corn dominate with hints of leafy hops.

Taste: Malts are first with a rice cake flavor waning away to sourdough bread. There is very little hop presence yet the beer is not too sweet.

Mouthfeel: I have always thought that Yuengling feels weird. It almost feels at times as if you are drinking a half foam, half beer concoction. It is not altogether unpleasant but it is different than most other beers.

Drinkability: Well, this is basically my fall back beer, so I have to give it high marks for that. But experience has shown me that having too many Yuengs can really fill you up, like no other beer I've ever had.

2.72/5  rDev -20.2%

From my notes... I drank a lot of this a few months ago because it was cheap, plentiful, and better than most lagers available.

This beer never failed to dissappoint me in appearance; A brown-orange color with no head at all (ever), some rising bubbles that popped and came to nothing. Darker than most macros, but really looked like swill.

Sour beery alcohol scents. Great for drunks, not so great for a more developed palate. I never really liked this even before starting to learn what a good beer smells like.

Crisp flavor; Malty, some sour bitterness, yeasty notes; Not as light as most macros, due to the lack of rice and other crummy stuff.

Boring mouthfeel, just a little thicker than water.

This should have a huge drinkability score, but I just can't bring myself to it. Yeah, for a while I drank lots of this, but the last time I had some it just struck me as unpleasant to drink.

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%

Unimpressive head to start out and doesn't last but a few seconds. Probably leads to the lack of a convincing boquet, which sweeter and strangely echoes scents of mushrooms. Color is a solid golden amber color, which is probably its best feature. Carbonation is moderately tight. Taste is very grainy but worth your while. Leaves a warm morning-breath like feel in your mouth which is unpleasant, but little aftertaste. A good beer for relaxing with friends.

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Nice light amber color, but the head rapidly dissipated. The aroma is clean with a faint hint of caramel and graininess. The flavor is a bit subdued, featuring a touch of maltiness and some balancing hop bitterness but very little else in the way of flavor. The overall impression is dryness and a crisp blend of light malt and hops. Overall this is definitely a step up from the usual macroswill but its got a long way to go to deserve 'premium' or at least what I expect from 'premium'.

This was my first review, and it retains a perfect rating from me because it was (and is) my favorite beer. Do I think that this is BETTER than any other beer you can buy? That you will enjoy the taste of Yuengling Traditional Lager more than anything else you'll ever try? No. I highly doubt it. Its not even the best-tasting beer I've ever had (that honor would go to Troegs' seasonal "Mad Elf" the first time I had it on tap). But this has been my default go-to for as long as I've been drinking beer.

Look: This was probably the first source of appeal for me. Before I could even drink beer, I was kind of raised on the notion that American domestic beers were cheap garbage, and that "good" beer came from Europe (Ales from Britain and Ireland, and Lagers from Continental Europe, esp Germany), and one of the easy ways you could tell them apart was the darker color of the imports vs the bright color of domestic beer. This is a pretty crude generalizaiton, but not entirely unfair imo when you consider how common stuff like Bud and Miller Highlife are even today, and how terrible they are. When, in the later 90's, I started seeing this dark brown stufff in this awesome looking green bottle with the eagle on the label that was even darker than nearly any import, and there was an instant appeal for me. Sure there are some much paler brews that are arguably higher quality and some even darker beers that are more cheaply made, but this was how 18, 20, and 22 year old me distinguished the good stuff from the garbage, and it was pretty effective: Yuengling, Sam Adams, Killians, Bass equaled good. Bud, Miller, Coors, Corona, Heineken equaled garbage (the last in spite of its high price and nation of origin). Also the head, though short lived, is still generally healthier than on most pale American macro-lagers. And though its not the best color in the world when it comes to avoiding skunking, I still think that green bottle with the bronze colored cap is one of the coolest looking bottles around.

Smell: As with most (maybe all) beers, the smell mirrors the taste. And you could definitely do worse. It smells sweet, malty, yeasty, kind of bready with a hop presence that tends towards grass slightly grassy, and fresh. No its not a exactly a Creed fragrance you can drink, but its pretty pleasant, and disticintively that of a beer.

Taste: Solid, easy to get used to. Slightly (though not incredibly) complex, pretty unique, and definitely distinctly American. Well-hopped without being bitter. Assertive and fairly flavorful yet still refreshing and easy to drink. This balance is what makes Yuengling Traditional great in my opinion. Why is this uniquely American? As you can tell from the color, they use a good portion of carmel malt. As I surmise from the smell, taste and price, they also use some corn, though no rice. Which is a very traditional American way to make beer, and to me at least its a good thing. Corn goes well with the carmel malt as they both add some sweetness and complexity, while the beer is dark enough that a little corn haze isn't really bad thing. The hop profile is also both unique and distinctly American as they use a combination of cascade and cluster hops. This leads to an assertive and reasonably complex hop profile, but with a bitterness that is equal to or maybe even a bit lower than, even most American macro/adjunct lagers. As with the smell, Yuengling tastes bready, sweet, slightly corny, grassy, yeasty, slightly hoppy, and usually clean. The end result (to me at least) is something that is readily identifiable as beer, as easy drinking as a pale American Macro/Adjunct lager, but much more assertive and interesting. I guess that would kind of apply to most American Amber Lagers of which this is basically the prototype, but I don't think you'd mistake any other American Amberfor Yuengling.

Mouthfeel, another thing I love about this stuff. Just assertive enough to tell you are drinking beer instead of fizzy water, yet you can still knock these back all day if you choose. This is also probably a good part of the review to point out that unlike almost any other lager (esp at this price point) Yuengling still tastes good as it warms up.

Overall, like I said its a 5 out of 5 for me. Should it also be the same for you ? I guess it depends on the style you prefer. Obviously, for a fallback and for everyday session beers I'm still a fan of American Amber Lagers just as I was when I was 20. If you enjoy knocking back Imperial Ale or Double Bocks for an all night session, or after 2 hours of mowing the lawn on a 90 degree day, then I doubt this will impress you. If, like me, you love those styles sometimes but want something simpler and easy to drink (that still isn't boring or badly made) as an for hot days, long sessions and the like, then try a Yuengling Lager if you visit the Mid-Atlantic states. It certainly doesn't cost much.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Had a bottle in a pilsner glass.

I always liked this beer on a hot summer day. I think it's one of the best American lagers.

Poured a nice golden color with minimal head. Carbonation remained throughout the glass with some lacing.
Not a strong smell, a bit of grain but not sweet.
Taste was good, light. I've been drinking a lot of heavier beers lately, so this seemed really watered down in comparison.
Not a heavy beer. Lightly carbonated.
Very drinkable, especially on a hot summer day.
A great bargain as well, compared to other American Lagers.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Yuengling lager in a can is not as good as Yuengling lager in a bottle. The same basic low-key taste is there, but it somehow inherits a bit of aluminum flavor from the can. A metallic tinge that distracts from the usual deliciousness. It's still refreshing on a hot day, but i wouldn't drink a lot of them any other time. I've also found that it skunks pretty easily, more so than many other canned beers.

....i've been informed by one of the more aggressive beer nerds that beer in cans do not skunk. yeah, ok. but it does lose its flavor fairly quickly in my experience after short term storage and becomes very corona-like, despite it not coming into contact with any light. dont age it is the point.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

As beer snobs we often turn up our noses in protest of anything that resembles the flavor of a macrobrew. However, the American "session beers" that dominated the pre-prohibition market were often considerably tasty, albeit light, and very drinkable. These beers were usually all-malt in the grain bill - before the addition of adjuncts such as corn and rice became popular. The Yuengling Traditional Lager falls under this category.

It pours a light amber color with almost no head. The aroma has that distinct American lager yeasty aroma with notes of malt in the background. The flavor is mild matliness with a slight caramel accent and mild noble hops balancing things out reasonably well. The mouthfeel is pretty good and the carbonation is fine and tight. Served cold, this beer makes a good thirst quencher.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a copperish color with a poofy white head, no lacing. Smells sour and citrusy, lemony. Tastes citrusy as well, with a grainy flavor, a light bitter hops thing going on. Clean finish. A bit of fruityness towards the end mixed with a maltyness.

Mouthfeel is bubbly but on the watery, thin side. Quite drinkable I'd say- doesn't taste horrible, warms up alright, light and simple. A good brew for a hot day.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into an american pint glass. It poured a dark copper that was bright and inviting. The head was about and inch but it was gone rather quickly. The aroma carried strong maltiness to it and some smokiness that was very inviting. It was a very full beer without being too dry and when it left the mouth it left a nice malty taste but it wasnt overwhelming. Over all better than i expected and i beer i would definatley try from now on.

2.53/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was low end for the style. I had it on tap at Ham's yesterday. The color was a dark red. The smell was kindly spicey. The taste was not what I was expecting. It had the taste of a macro but something was just wrong. The mouthfeel was pretty harsh. It had quite a bit of bite. Not a beer I would order often. Not even when they are $1.50 a pint.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear and golden in color. Slight head that doesnÂ’t stick around long. Good carbonation. Sweet yet crisp smell. Well balanced. Light and easy drinking. A good, standard, inexpensive lager. Easily able to drink a couple at a time. I must say that I prefer draft over bottle. I consider the Yuengling Lager a baseline beer. It is my average beer.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Yuengling is brewing some good stuff here. Poured out to a deep golden amber color with a short lived head. Medium level of carbonation. Minor notes of lace. Aroma was very weak, but hints of hops and grain were present. Taste was a full step up from anything BMC could ever kick out; flavors of mild malt, salty grains, corn and hops were very enjoyable. Mouthfeel was decent, with the carbonation again making the brew brisk and refreshing. Good drinkability; I can now see why many are die-hards when it comes to this breweries beers. Recommended. Special thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the sample.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a Dark Honey color with good clarity. One finger of dense head with decent retention that will leave light lacing. Clean nose, just some light pale malt aromas. Toasted pilsener malt flavor, balanced nicely with some grassy hops that will remain throughout the aftertaste. High carbonation and a light body smooth the mouthfeel, which is rather crisp. The finish is hoppy bitter and slightly dry, but nothing that would hinder the drinkability.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a bubbly amber color with a slight head that leaves a decent lacing on the glass. Smell is very lemony and grassy with a hint of veggies. Taste is a bubbly corn suprise. Mouthfeel is a bit too bubbly. Drinkability, however is quite high. This one goes down smooth and keeps you coming back for more. 14.75/case isn't bad either.

Cheers.

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

A very nice local brew. Has a good amber color. Has nice foamy head and a lot of carbonation, a little too much if you ask me. Yet a very nice, smooth and drinkable beer. The taste varies depending on how you have it. The cans hav a little aluminum taste. The draft has a darker color, yet smoother taste than the bottles. The bottled beer gets warm kinda quick and warm Yuengling Lager is not a pleasing taste. The draft doesn't warm as fast as bottles, but it warms it is not that bad. Still a pleasing taste. Overall a very good beer. In my experience, as well as some of my friends, some bars have difficulties chilling the bottles. Every now and then one of us will get a skunked bottle.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

VERY clear honey colour, with foamy off-white head. Would look more like an average macro were it not for the deeper hue.

The smell is all sweet malt- well, almost all- there's just hint of spiciness underneath, paired with a grapefruit quality.

Two things going on here right up front- a low fruitiness, and a brown-sugar quality. A woodiness builds in the middle, then most flavours roll off at the end.

Body is just the thn side of medium. There's a high carbonation that's just a little too pointed.

As much as this falls flat in other areas, it is quite drinkable. File under "lawn mower beer".

Be well
-UF

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

This brew pours to a light amber color with a nice sized head that breaks down quickly leaving a faint amount of lacing at the top of the glass and then nothing the rest of the way. Looks to have a lot of carbonation in it and the aromas seem to be slightly skunky but not overly with some malt like characteristics. I do not notice any real definable hop scents. The taste is pretty basic, which is not really a bad thing. Mostly malt flavor, somewhat bready with a slight hop taste. Very carbonated brew, I would think it would be a fair lawn mowing brew.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

Reviewed a bottle of this and found it slightly more interesting. The bottled version had a bit of complexity to the smell, but was pretty average, otherwise. On-tap, it seemed 100% macrobrewed, despite the fact that it is a small town brewery with low-medium production level. I'll choose it over the true macro brews out of respect for the smalltown tradition, but will avoid if I have a decent choice of micros.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Purchased at Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

I place Yuengling up there with Sam Adams as a really decent, widely-available, inexpensive lager that has quite a bit of taste. Whenever I find this on tap, I tend to order a pint or three, although I prefer it at home, where I can drink it at cellar temp.

Pours a nice dark amber color. CLear body, but dark enough to impede light. It starts out with a nice thick off-white head but that dissipates pretty quickly.

No hops present at all in the nose, all I get is a top-level fruitiness with a bit of that generic "beer" aroma that almost certainly comes from the yeast. Decent.

The taste is very similar to the smell, primarily made up of fruit with no hops, but I like it a lot better that way. Leaves an aftertaste like apples. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but leaves a bit of a punch to the palate. To-style -- I'm giving it a good rating.

I can drink about three of these at a sitting, but that's about it. A very good beer, perfect with pizza or a burger.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery