Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Ratings: 6,514 |  Reviews: 1,726
2.9/5  rDev -15%

A heavy-handed lager with macro leanings. A bit grassy and husky with some tannins evident. Somewhat sweet which took the edge of what would otherwise have been a harsh malt profile, but the flavor was not engaging and it was a chore to work through the glass.

3.11/5  rDev -8.8%

Being From PA I thought that I had better try this at least once. Considering the huge following and being the oldest brewery I thought this beer should be really good.

Well at first glance I was quite impressed with it's deep amber, rust colored brew with a thin white head. not much aroma, maybe the hint sweet malt.
After all that thid is just a basic lager, nothing really jumped out at me. It did finish crisp and clean. Certainly worth a try but only once.

old penny-colored
baked, crusty, fritter dough nose, caramelized and stuffed with wilted greens like blackish green spinach.
The taste is watery but well balanced. Very lean texture with slatey, minerally extracts rising through the illusion of rich baked goods. No palate presence, no finish. Not unpleasant. Well crafted.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

I aquired a single bottle of this fabled beer. It poured a golden yellow, with a nice head that quickly diappated into a thin lacy white color. The taste, ah the taste. I was shocked at first by what I felt was a sharp acid subtle bitter taste. But after a few more sips, it mellowed into a dull enjoyable sensation. I wish I had more than the one, but alas, I must wait until opportunity arises again.

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

As anyone from PA knows, Yuengling is the hometown hero. It can be found in evey distributor across the state, and in most every bar. Known as simply "lager" (its not going to change either, so quit bitching), the beer has a huge following, and one that is not entirely unfounded. I realize that there are a plethora of more complex, more refined, more expressive and more challenging beers out there. Of course. But taken for what it is, lager is hard to beat. On tap, the beer pours a nice reddish brown color, with a very thin head that quickly disappears. Taste is balanced well, with a foundation of malt that is given some life by a blend of hops. It does not exude any particular hopfeel, and the bitterness is very refrained. It exhibits much more character than any other macro lager out there. Medium-dark, slightly sweet, slightly bitter, and refreshing. I've bought more cases and pitchers of this than any other beer as it goes down easily and tastes great. I know I'm biased, I know there's better, but I know I feel bad for people who are out of the distribution area, as they are missing out on America's best everyday beer.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A fairly deep amber colored body is capped by a loose off-white head that drops readily to a thin surface covering and leaves only minor transient lace about the glass. In the nose, a sweetish malt dominates with a light hint of fruitiness from the Christian Schmidt yeast. It's light to medium bodied, and gently crisp in the mouth with a fine carbonation that allows it to become slightly creamy as it warms. The flavor delivers a gently sweet malt that's well-infused with a mildly floral hop flavor and low-level bitterness along with the Yuengling house-flavor. It finishes quickly, but leaves a mild residue of sweet malt that continues to build on the palate. An easy drinking beer that's balanced towards sweetness, but still remains enjoyable for a few.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Many guys on here grow up in there high school and college years drinking beers like Budweiser, MGD, and Coors, but around here in northeast PA Yuengling is king. At first pour you will notice this beer has a very nice chesnut color to it with a decent head which does provide some lacing. As you inhale the aroma you can sense a sort of pungentness found in many euro mass brewed lagers like Becks. As far as taste goes, unlike many american lagers out there Yuengling actually has some, its quite nutty with a little bit of a hop flavor towards the end. The only real problem i have with this beer is that it has a tendancy to go flat a bit quicker than others. If you were looking for a highly drinkable beer for a bbq or camping trip yuengling lager would absolutely be a great pickup, especially at 16 dollars a case. One other note another local brew made by the lion brewery is called pocono lager, that beer and yuengling are almost carbon copies of one another.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured an amber brown. Unknown head behavior as I got this on draught at a restaurant and it was gone by the time I got the beer. Minimal lacing. Aroma was slightly nutty, good malt presence. Mouthful was good. Medium to high carbonation but not distracting. Taste was malty with some frutiness, and a good hop balance. Not entirely pleasing, though. Dry bitter finish. I had it with grilled chicken, and it actually tasted worse WITH the food. A good looking brew that had a taste closer to fizzy yellow stuff.

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

This brew pours an amber color topped off with a fairly decent off white head. The head fades at a good rate leaving little lace. The aroma is mainly malt. The taste is also malt with a bit of sweetness and no noticeable hops. Drinkability is a hard one to rate. I’m sure you could pound a few of these but with not much flavor..why bother.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Translucent darkish-golden hue, small white head, quick to collapse, soapy residue, no lace. Uninspiring nose, husky with some sweetness, hints of malt & metal. Equally undistinguishing palate… it is crisp & refreshing, minimal flavors of lightly toasty malt, some hops influence, husky though… the undercurrents are pleasing. Quick finish, minimal aftertaste… moderate carbonation, medium-light body. Damn easy to drink... session beer. Still okay warm.

I did fail to see why this beer is so “talked-up” but I do realize why this beer is considered the best “cheap beer.” I did consider PBR king of that dubious honor… the crown has changed hands.

What’s up with the green bottles though?

2.84/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz. Bomber
This was incredibly cheap and it shows. It was a so so beer, but definitely of the mega-macro variety. The pour was nice with a light copper color and there was a small white head that didn't stick around too long. There was no lace to speak of just some film on top of the beer. The smell was pretty swilly with a lot of adjuncts and not even a very distinct malt characteristic. The taste reminded me of an overly qualified genesee red. It had a lot of corn flavor without a hint of any hops and not even the sweetness I was expecting. I can imagine that the entire line of Yeungling was something much better pre-prohibition, but I had to give a nod the the oldest brewery in the U.S.

4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

As a former roommate calls it, "the best Philadelphia sewer water you'll ever taste."

A nice amber color, this brew had a tiny but present foamy head. Wafting this lager (should one waft such a hearty beer?) it had a fruity scent balanced with a hearty slightly-roasted malt scent. Flavored by a good amber lager taste, it has a good use of hops and roasted malt. The hops are mild but big enough to make things fruity enough, and is perfectly paired with the malt. Very easy to drink from its watery slide, and also has a little lager fizziness in the swallow.

OK, that was silly - rating a Yuengling like it was some sort of grand cru... it's just a good blue-collar, everyday beer. This over a Bud anyday.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

This beer is slightly worse in the can than it is in the bottle or on draught. It is still a class American Amber Lager that has an incredible drinkability and a thin mouthfeel. The taste and aroma are very subdued and simple in this canned version of this local PA favorite beer.
Still a classic IMO...
Cheers!
-F

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

I really don't like the public's perception of this beer. Around here, all you have to say is you want a lager and they bring you a yuengling like it's the only kind in existence. I have to restrain myself from telling people it's just an average beer made using corn grits as an ingredient and that lager does not mean amber colored beer. That's only about the beer's image though. The beer itself is quite good. It pours with that famous amber color with a head that diminishes as quickly as it forms. The taste has a malty sweetness and the hops lend a slight citrusy dryness. It's very well balanced which makes this way better than any other macro. I'd call this an all purpose beer. This beer is cheap, widely available and It can be paired with virtually any food. That's what makes it a great fallback beer. It's the kind of beer that's worth keeping a case in the fridge at all times even though you usually crave something better.

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

Traditional Lager? What does this mean? This brewery was producing beer before the lager style was invented. That said, we should expect more from “America’s Oldest Brewery”. Amber/Copper colored with a light corn-like malt. Soft wet corncob aroma. The mild/medium hops are nothing to get excited over...sort of grassy, bland, weak and lightly citrusy.
A seltzery effervescence and head fizz away in a hurry. Zzzzz!

3.92/5  rDev +15%

This beer will always hold a dear place in my heart and my belly as the best alternative to bud and coors. And that's the function it has served to me for many years now and many years to come. It's a simple, refreshing lager that is a great session beer. It's light brown, crystal clear, and there's not much of a head after 20 seconds.
There is absolutely nothing exciting about this beer at all. It's a plain jane lager and it's a shitload better than bud, miller, junk, etc. A little sweetness comes through and just a touch of hops. A dry finish combines with no aftertaste. And there you have it. A perfect alternative to macros. If I know I will be consuming large amounts of beer for certain occasions, this will always be my choice if it is available where I am. Never dissappointing, never exciting, always pleasing in it's own simple way. Maybe I'm biased but who cares? I love this stuff and so does my non-aching head the next day.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%

I had been waiting a long time to try this one. I have heard so many good things from so many people about the quality of this beer. Unfortunately I was far from impressed. I was hoping for a great flavorful excursion into the land of pilsners, but was greated by a slighlty darker version of regular old Bud. Left a stale taste in my mouth and in my soul.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

this is the beer i've probably drank the most of in my life, but i think i can still be objective. this is a decent dark lager. you usually will pay just as much for it as you would for the same amount of bud, michelob, etc.
the taste has very mellow malts, some hops but not a lot. i seem to always detect a slight lemony aftertaste and then something slightly metallic. it's not a big deal, though. i would drink this over macro-swill any day. this beer has a very good drinkability in all seasons and with all kinds of different beer drinkers.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Ah, the old stand-by. The beer that has saved me on countless occasions. Saved me from drinking something weak, bland or just plain unenjoyable. This beer is a nice step up from most macro beers. Just about every bar in the Philadelphia area has this on tap – sitting along side Bud, Coors and Miller. The beer pours a bright amber color and has a slight head of foam. Pleasant malt sweetness and bitterness. Both go together very well. Light to medium bodied. Usually leaves a slight tangy aftertaste.

A decent session beer and a good everyday choice.

2.94/5  rDev -13.8%

Yuengling Traditional Lager is a pretty good macro by my standards, and is usually found at a pretty good price. A much better alternative to the Big 3.

Pours a nice deep amber color, with a thin foam head that quickly fizzes away. Smell was slightly skunky because of the green bottle, but some grains could be detected underneath that. Smooth mouthfeel. The first sip is kind of sweet, maybe some notes of caramel. After that, the taste was a little more watery than I was expecting, but had an unoffensive grainy taste. The hops added a slight lemony presence and lended a slight dryness. The aftertaste is a little bready at first, but makes way for a creamed corn taste, which after finishing the beer will still be with you for a few minutes. The beer finishes with almost no alcoholic warmth.

I rate it next to Pabst Blue Ribbon if you're in the market for an economy lager. It has become quite popular in many NJ dining establishments recently making it a good alternative to BudMillerCoors.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this on tap and I was quite pleased. Nice amber color with a nice white head that seemed to stay throughout the drink. Not much aroma- but taste was crisp and well balanced with a little bit hop assertivness going on. Reminded me am English style lager- sort of bready, but in nice way. As for drinkability, this beer probably goes with just about everything.

I hate to give straight three's, but that's how this beer hits me. When up against Bud, Miller, and Pabst, it is clearly superior - tasting almost like halfway to a Sierra Nevada. Some hoppines, a little fruitiness, and a cleaner quality. But, when tried against the Sierra, it's significantly inferior, with that American lager smell and taste. (makes the Sierra taste unbelievably good!). Nice amber color, small head, very little retention. Clean, goes down real easy. If you like American mainstream lagers, definitely seek this out, as it is the best (that I've tried) of the lot. But, in comparison to any of the great beers, fuggedabouddit!

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer poured a nice clear woodsy/amber color. The head was a thin white color and consistency and no lace seemed to be present. The aroma was fairly crisp, hints of malt, hops, and some flowers seemed to be present. The taste was OK, sub-typical lager, nothing to write home about. Tastes of some sweet malt, fruit and bitter hops were present. Decently carbonated. To me this beer is very generic for this style. I have drank this before and try to stay away from it d/t it makes me feel nauseous the next morning. I like lagers but for some reason this beer does not impress me. I will have 1 when there is no other choice or just drink ice tea. They must know something since they have been brewing for such along time, just not my mug of beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

The oldest American continously running brewery, just that alone I think I have to pay my respects. This was the beer that in the Northern Panhandle of WV, still in high school we would cross the border into PA to get our hands on the good stuff. Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager was a beer we all yearned for, considering most days we drank mostly Coors Light and Busch. She pours with an amber brown hue, with heavily carbonated white colored head. The aroma consists pimarily of sweet malt possibly caramel, and there is a weak but present hop like aroma. I would like to the thank the Yuengling family for keeping up a better product than the macros out there and keeping their beers moderately priced. The lighter bodied beer has a rather thin texture, and it does annoy me that most of the time this beer gets way to much credit as being the good stuff. When in reality it is a mediocre beer that is great for getting people away from the fizzy yelllow brews this country mainly has to offer. A relatively sweet, but mostly bitter crisp finish forms a classic taste that I cherish. Yes, I cannot lie I can drink my fair share of it, but it really isn't a beer that I should spend much time on.

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery