Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,573 |  Reviews: 1,737
2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer is nice to have when youre on a diet of primarily busch and coors light. But given that typical diet, its also hard to review this beer with a pallate that is so out of shape, as it were, but here goes anwyay. Its appearnce is a rather muted brown color, with very little lustre to it. The carbonation bubbles are huge, and the head is almost non existant, leaving no lace or ring. The smell is all that typical lager yeast and wheat smell. Reminds me alot of the saranac lager actually. The taste is not offensive, but theres not a whole lot to it either. Definatley the wheats again with a hint of yeasts but not much hops to be had. Mouthfeel is on the thin side. I guess Im predisposed against lagers, because Im a huge hop-head, but all in all, this isnt actually that bad.

On-tap @ The Office in Ridgewood, NJ

Light amber color with a small fluffy head that disappates quickly. Very average aroma, a touch on the hoppy side, but nothing too notable. Tastes very smooth. It fits the stereotype of an average lager, but it's easily a step above any of the crappy macrobrews that you can usually find for around the same price. Very drinkable.

Since Yuengling is still unavailable in Massachusetts, I make sure to get my fill of it when i visit my friends and family in New Jersey. Whether you find this beer average or highly enjoyable, it is still one of the best bangs for your buck in the tri-state area. 16 bucks for a case at the local liquor store here in Fair Lawn, NJ. I'm bringing back at least 2 cases of it for me and my roommates in Boston.

2.46/5  rDev -27.9%

What do you drink when you go to a restaurant, and there's not much choice other than the same old, same old. This was an amber/red beer. Tiny head. Disapated before I could drink it. More carbonation than I think it needed. Nothing that I could really smell, but what do I know? I prefer dark and stout. This was neither, and they had neither. It tasted a lot like beer. Hoppy, grainy, and slightly bitter. Did I think it was drinkable? Yeah, it was beer. I would have rather enjoyed a good craft brew, but this is what my choice was. It was just as it was scored, average, and I wasn't impressed.

3.41/5  rDev 0%

Paid $8.99 for a 12pk. in Western PA

A pretty stard lager appearence, beautiful gold base with the small white head, retains for a bit, then lost... better than average. The smell was faint if that, not too impressed about it.

The taste makes up for the smell, but it kind of fits between the macro-Candian lagers (Labatt & Molson) and macro-German lagers/pils (Warsteiner, Krombacher, Pott's), so slightly better than average, typical lager taste with NO complexity going on. Mouthfeel and drinkability are the highlight of this beer where you can really drink this stuff down one after another, and it won't bust your wallet.

Final Thought: This is one of my favorite mini-macro beers in America, especially for the price-to-quality ratio!

2.68/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours our to a sparkingly clear copper, forming a small white head with poor retention and no lacing, requiring a hefty pour to compose a head. Carbonation level is the epitome of average American domestics. Aroma begins with suggestion of pale and amber malts, with an odd sweetness, a funky skunky kinda corn thing, but not totally unpleasant, and maybe a touch of diacetyl. Mouthfeel is spritzy with a light body and very clean and crisp finish. Taste begins with an odd corn taste, followed by a bit of skunked hops, an odd pale malt sweetness, a touch of caramel, and a delicate spicy bitterness. The aftertaste suggests saccharin and corn.

Hrmm, this really isn't bad, but it's not entirely good either. Better than most domestic macrobrews, the clean finish and crisp, watery mouthfeel make this a summer thirst quencher and beach party type of brew.

Thanx to Katie for providing the goods.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

Pale orange with a hint of amber. The head is small and isn't overly dense. It doesn't look like it'll last long at all (it doesn't) and I'll be surprised if I see much lace (I wasn't surprised).

The aroma has that sharp, pungent smell that reminds me of some macro lagers. It must be either the hops or a wee bit of skunk. In any case, the nose isn't pleasant to my nose at all. The flavor is a small cut above the lagers from BMC. Slightly sour grain with a little maltiness. This is incredibly one-dimensional beer, with that one dimension collapsing as quickly as the mouthfeel.

I didn't have high hopes for Yuengling Traditional Lager, but I was sort of curious to see what 'America's Oldest Brewery' has to offer. If anyone offers this beer to me in the future, I'll politely decline.

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

On draught at the Rex Theatre in Pittsburgh. Not a bad concert beer. Copper colored with a thin white head, very little lacing. Light aroma of hops with a hint of malt, but I really had to bury my nose to get it. Light-bodied and just as drinkable and smooth as the bottled version. Flavors of hops and malt are muted, and the finish is smooth and lightly bitter. Not a lot going on but I can see why this is featured so much in the region.

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

A great beer. Goes down smooth and tastes great. For the price you'll be hard pressed to find a better lager for hangin' with the guys. One of the best American lagers on the market that you don't have to go out of your way to get. I can't think of a better beer to get if I have nine bucks to my name and a night of poker with the guys to kill.

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Clear pale amber in color with a thin but sortof sticky head.

S: At first, right out of the ice in a cooler, the smells were nearly absent. I had to put this one aside for a few minutes and come back to it. Predominant aroma (and it's not very strong, just the strongest smell I could get from this one) is a sort of floral hop aroma. There is a bit of a yeasty/malty smell that comes out. The smell from this one is a bit strange, not bad strange, but unique.

T: Tastes are, perhaps unsurprisingly, on the thin side. There's a nice balanced hoppy/malty taste that demands absolutely no attention. Again, not in a bad sense, this one is merely there.

M: Somewhat watery, but it cleans the palate nicely and leaves no discernible aftertaste.

D&N: For a macro, this one's not bad at all. I picked up a twelve pack to take to my skydiving pals, and this seems to be a good choice for that. Relatively cheap, widely available, and way better than Bud. Perfect picnic fodder when you just want to have a beer without having to scribble down notes for a review.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bomber with a twist-off cap? Orangey amber color with columns of bubbles rising quickly to the top. A light beige, thick head rises up 2 inches high and drops down quickly. Aroma is malty, a bit grapey, slightly pungent with some lemon undertones. Mouthfeel is light and tingly, crisp and dry, giving way to flavors of malt, with hints of pear and honey. Not much more complex than that, and I might be dreaming the pear and honey.

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

A 22 OZ bottle. A fine looking slightly deep looking amber: nice coloration. The head was white and plentiful on the initial pouring. The head did not last long. The taste is slightly on the sweet side. There is a crsip finish-justs as desrribed by the brewer. This is an easy to find beer and highly drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer, like most lagers that I have experienced, is much better on draft than it is in the bottle. This beer was a rich/amber color with a thin white head. The smell was a nice mix of malts and hops with nothing really standing out either way. The taste was extremely sweet but, as with the aroma, nothing really stands out. The malt sweetness was a tad bit overwhelming as there really was little, if any, trace of the hops bitterness. The moderate carbonation made this pleasing to the mouth and the drinkability high. Unfortunately, as a whole, this beer is just about average and there was nothing really drawing about it.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%

I bought a case of this knowing I had a small gathering of non craft beer drinkers coming over to my condo. I had to protect my cherished beer fridge, so this was the buffer.

Well, it was well received by all and I got congrats on buying the "good" stuff. Oh boy, perspective is everything right?

On to the review. The appearance was good in my opinion. Dark amber, clear, nice foamy white head that clung to the glass. I admit it looked good. The smell was grainy/herby, slightly big macro like. Although I did detect a bit of hops in there, overall not bad. The taste was grainy as well. This is not my favorite type of beer taste at all. Big emphases on the grains, not too much happening in the hop department. Again, like the smell, there was an herby earthy quality in there. The mouthfeel was ok, a bit thin for my taste, but again overall not horrible. I gave it a 4 on drinkability as it was very easy drinking. Although it may seem like I panned this brew, overall it was not bad. I would certainly take it over any macro (except maybe Sam Adams), and it certainly is on par with beers like Bass Ale. A good session brew at a price you can't beat. Certainly in the upper quality echelon of domestic macro's.

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Well, this is about as low as I go in quality. I do think that Yuengling puts out a great product for the price. Not sure why anyone would drink Bud or the like rather then spend another dollar and get this decent brew.

This beer offers a good taste, nothing super but nice. The aroma is lacking, not very hoppy. Very drinkable IMO. And cheap too, only $9-10 bucks a twelve pack, depending on where you live.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rich amber with a quickly disappearing head. nice grainy lager smell not skunky at all. the taste is grainy with a little bit of hops to round things out. close to medium mouthfeel, no complaints. i think this is an A+ for it's american lager style. i can safely say i haven't had better as far as that's concerned. it blows bud out of the water, but at the same time it is just an american lager.

3.62/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a clear, amber gold, with a five second head that leaves a slim ring of light lace. Aroma is subdued, with sweet caramel malt and a hint of grassy hops. Mouthfeel is all about the carbonation. Light to medium bodied, and feels like an American mainsteam lager. Taste is somewhat grainy, sweet malt, and a hint of grassy hops. A solid American lager, smooth and very drinkable. I'm impressed that this does not taste watered down, at all. Excellent alternative to anything by the big macros.

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

Lager has become the beer most found in the local pubs around Philadelphia, except of course for the Bud family. It is an acceptable beer for almost everyone. A very safe alternative to take with you anywhere. It pours a really nice amber, slightly hazy with a thin head and a little lacing. The flavor is straight forward malt and other grains with a hint of the alcohol present. It is nicely carbonated without having the bubbles of a soda pop. I like the simple taste of a lager. It is very good cold, okay a little warmer, and even okay ice cold. The taste is one of grain, hops, and alcohol with a good, slightly thick mouthfeel. It is really easy to drink a lot of these. The alcohol content is low enough to not penalize knocking back more than a couple.

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

The lager poured a light gold with a thin white head. It smelled of malt and hops with a light spicieness. This beer had a nice bright taste with plenty of hops and traces of spice. It felt light and somewhat dry in the mouth. As American mass produced beers go Yuengling is one of the best. This is a beer that I'm glad to see available in bars, so that I'm not forced into drinking some of the more popular yet lest palatable brews.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours out a light coppery color with decent head. The smell is nothing to write home about but if you are in most local bars, this is the beer to get. I drink this beer just about every week when I go to the bar around my house. Its a lot better than the other "popular" macros like Bud, Coors, or Miller. This beer goes down very smooth and is a great beer to have with some friends while watching a game at your local sports bar and having some buffalo wings. A "gourmet" beer it is not, but it certainly serves its purpose, being a good drinkable beer when you go out with some friends.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

I'd been avoiding this one for a while, as it seems to be priced almost exactly the same as Bud at my local bar. It's not a great beer, but it is however a great leap higher in quality than the AB alternative.

Unlike comparably priced beers, there actually seems to be a hop or two in here. Not too strong, but enough to add some flavor. A nice grainyness seems to be present in the beer, and I do like that.

This one is my current standby for dirt cheap, easily available American beer. Quite drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

The beer pours a dark amber color with a spotty lace head. The aroma is decent. It is full of pale lager, and light crystal malts. The taste is good. It is a malty lager with a dry finish. It has a simple goodness to it. Yuengling likes to keep it basic, but it seems to work for them. Their whole line of beers are good, but most are very simple recipes. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer drinks very well; a fine lager from America's Oldest Brewery.

2.82/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a very pretty dark gold, moderate carbonation and head. Smell is actually somewhat funky to me, almost like stale beer, but also hoppy. A sweet beer, this brew is all right but nothing to write home about. A respectable lager, but by no means an outstanding one. I will drink this if given to me but I won't buy it.

2.82/5  rDev -17.3%

copper with an artifical orangeish hue. initial white foam retreats to absolutely nothing...i mean i'm having a hard time even seeing a collar. zero lacing. clean and sort of sweet on the nose. crisp carbonation yields a refreshing mouthfeel. heavy handed on corn syrup sweetness, a quick shot of noble hops does a lackluster job of holding this brew together. funky lingering aftertaste.

this beer is revered here in PA, and i guess it's because it is a local and distinguishes itself from a sea of macro clones. for what its worth, it is a a notch above the national swill, but not much more. i'll only drink it if there are absolutely no other choices.

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

gave this one a try three evenings in a row on my train ride home.

Cabbadgy nose, light amber in color. Minimal malt, minimal hops, watery. Prickly on the tongue in the finish. Not much to offer here. I'd put this a notch above the Macros, but not up to the level of the comparable brew in the Saranac line.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

Yuengling Traditional Lager.

Appearance- Light copper/ gold with a light head.
Smell- very weak hops, but not bad.
Taste- very crisp with a little malt and a dash of hops.
Mouthfeel- like any other cheap american beer. Makes me burp. alot!

Overall, not a bad cheapo beer. Probably your best amongst the miller, bud, coors, catagory.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery