Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

firstprev| 6451-6475 | 6476-6500 | 6501-6525  | next → last
Ratings: 6,512 |  Reviews: 1,725
3.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer of Pennsylvania. Not really something I'd be too proud of, considering we've got Victory, Stoudts, and Yards, but decent. Its got a nice dark color for a semi-mass produced lager, and a decent smell and taste. One thing I dont like about it is the use of corn. It definitely gives it a distinctive taste and mouthfeel. When this gets warmer it quickly loses drinkability, and the mouthfeel suffers as well. However, this is still a much better beer than macrobrews, and is incredibly cheap in PA. $1.75 to $3 pitchers of Lager (the only thing its ever named as) are common here in State College, which makes this one of my staples. Try it if you can, but dont go out of your way.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

A bitter lager. They are cheap in this area though, and still taste better than the Coors' of the world.

Having lived in the Delaware Valley most of my life, this beer has been readily available. On all counts, this is an average beer, at best. I have heard the hype ("oldest brewery in America, etc.), but who cares? This is, I'm afraid, as average a beer as you are going to find. I have tried many, many times to appreciate this beer, but every time I drink it (as I did tonight when there was nothing, and I mean nothing, else available), I am less impressed. Average. And that's all.

4.68/5  rDev +37.2%

There is never a time when I do not feel like drinking a Yuengling. This beer is a wonderful all-around beer. Not too light, not too powerful, and always delicious.

This is proof that an American lager can appeal to a wide range of beer drinkers. Medium in malt and hop character and clean in the finish. A decent, if not over-rated, American Lager.

4.11/5  rDev +20.5%

A staple of mine. Affordable and crafted for the masses. Beautiful bright amber color. Not much nose, good head retention, smooth malty feel with a neutral aftertaste. This is out tap beer at the shore very drinkable (Sea Isle , NJ). It is the only beer we (my entire family) can agree on. And, have I said its a great value....;)

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a solid, relatively lively, American lager, that blows the doors off of of the mega brews. I have visited the brewery (I live 1.5 hrs away), and drank many a Yuengling Lager in my time.

Great color for a lager, and very flavorful. Very slight sweetness in the initial taste, nice body and some real good hop presence in the finish. Very clean and refreshing beer.

This may sound blasphemous, but I think I prefer this from the can and not the bottle. Don't ask me why, I can't explain it.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Yuengling is one of those beers that never disappoints. Maybe it's not the most profound beer, but it's certainly enjoyable (and cheap) to have a pint, whether at a nice restaurant or your favorite local dive bar. Add to that the Yuengling brewery's history (oldest in America), and it's a winning combo.

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

I really enjoy this beer. If it were available in Michigan, it would be my everyday-type of quaffer. I have friends who bring it back from Pennsylvania quite often. A nice light amber color with a decent amount of malt in the taste. Light hops, but enough to let you know they are there. What a nice beer and inexpensive too. I wish it were distributed to the whole country instead of the east and Florida.

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An average beer in general but far superior to it's peers in price (A-B, Miller, etc.). For your money a good beer. Much better on draft than in the bottle. More hops would definitely be a good thing for this beer.

Yuengling Lager can rescue the true beer lover stopping at the average Pennsylvania bar serving only pedestrian beers - they'll usually have lager on tap. A solid beer and a true tribute to the power of advertising as this beer had no respect till they began an aggressive ad compaign years ago.

Very smooth with a bit of malt sweetness and a faint hop finish. One of the most flavorful American lagers.

firstprev| 6451-6475 | 6476-6500 | 6501-6525  | next → last