Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,642 |  Reviews: 1,749

An appealing dark amber color does not disappoint on taste. Presents as caramel more so than butterscotch. Meduim carbonation lends itself to a very drinkable beer. This lager sets itself apart from many other mass-produced offerings. Body is medium and the hops are present but not over-stated. It offers a satisfying flavor that lasts all night long.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice offering.
This lager arrived a deep amber/orange with a short head of one finger.
The head disappated very quickly leaving a slight glass ring.
Carbonation is very light.
Body is medium.
Aroma of yeast.
The taste is fairly well balanced with no clear winner. I get hints of caramel then citrus with limited linger.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

It pours a light amber, and crystal clear, fizzy bubbles clinging and releasing in the glass. The head starts up, and swings right back down to mere traces of itself. The lace thins to dots.

The aroma delivers a rounded sweetness of malt, with a slight hint of hops. Overall, the aroma is slight but straightforward,

The first sip delivers a very mellow malt sweetness, though far from cloying. The hops are slight and indistinct. Simply, it's well carbonated and tasty.

The body is very light, with little feel, pretty much watery, but the presence is fair enough that it feels like a beer in your mouth.

Yes, the big strength is drinkability. It's light enough for several, should you be so inclined, and has enough flavor to let you know its a conscientious beer, brewed to go down smooth and well. Not the finest, of course, but a year-round staple, and safe for almost all palates. It's more enjoyable than any single quality on its own might suggest. It's a handy green bottle to have on hand. Drink it cold, drink it proud.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Discovered this beer while on vacation last summer on the NC coast. Great German name and a cool label. Excellent appearance, with a thin head and maltly aroma. Outstanding beer at a price which is on par with the macobrew swill that everyone else drinks. Look forward to distribution in my area soon.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer is a staple. In my grocery stores (south florida, we have a brewery in Tampa) they put it in the crap-domestic section. But this beer deserves far more respect than Bud or Miller or any of that crap. A genuine, solid, lager. Not gonna knock your shoes off with it's flavor but respectablly un-macro tasting. It has a rich amber color and a smooth-smooth mouthfeel. Not-too thick but definately a beer you could session with (I know I have). The hops are detectable and well balanced.

Bottom line, when you reach for the cheap sixer--reach for this.

2.41/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber with a thin white head.

Aroma: Malt and grain dominate, with very minimal hops present.

Taste: Quite a bland palate. Some malt in the back, but not much else.

Mouth: A little thin, but sweet malt gives some body. Nothing too special.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable, but not all that exciting. Enjoyable, but no need for me to seek this one out.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The first thing that everyone comments on is the "fizzy" carbonation, but it's something that I got used to.I stocked a labor day party with this beer and even my hardcore redneck friends were won over.This beer is brewed at the old Stroh's brewery in Tampa which is an hour away and freshness never is a problem.Not keen on the green bottles though.

This beer is just a lighweight, no nonsense lager that is consistently clean and clear.I tend to find a lot of girls like this beer and that's why I keep it stocked in my fridge.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

My mother often has Yuengling in bottles and I can remember trying it and not liking it. Tasted too bready for me from what I can recall. However, recently I was out at someone's house who had a keg of 'Lager', and unfortunately it was either that, Milwaukee's Best, or Seagram's 7, so I chose the Yuengling. It wasn't bready this time to me, but it tasted like it was artificially sweetened. I know it's a popular beer in this area but I don't drink it so I don't know if this is what it's supposed to taste like or if it's more like the bready taste out of the bottle that I remember. Anyway, It seemed a little flat, and almost too thick for the flavor, if that makes sense. I can see how it's popular though, given the alternatives of bud and the likes, because it does have flavor. It's just not my favorite flavor.

3.86/5  rDev +13.2%

I guess I have less to say about this beer as far it's compared to others in a blind taste test kind of way. However, its drinkability is remarkable; a great beer to always keep a case or two of on hand. It's appeal has a little bit to do with its ordinariness. It's a beer you drink, and drink often, without necessarily commenting on its complexity or uniqueness, yet you never have a complaint. I've never not been satisfied after a Yuengling Traditional Lager. It's got a nice carbonation level, not too high, but not lacking like some other ambers. There's a slight malty sweetness, as well as a faint hoppiness. It's not the beer you focus on when you drink it.

I'm from Philadelphia, where you can by "quarts" of "lager" for 2 "dollas". Yuengling Traditional Lager is known in the Philadelphia area, simply as "Lager". If you go in a bar and ask for "a lager", you'll get a Yuengling. Most people seem to prefer drinking it from its green bottle, perhaps to let everyone else know that they are, if fact, drinking a "lager".

Many people I've encountered have a strange loyalty to Yuengling Lager and talk about it anytime they leave the state. My family usually brings a few cases for the relatives up to Long Island each year at Christmas--because they ask for it, and expect it.

As a recent college student, I have to observe that "lager" is also more and more becoming the beer of choice both out as well as kegged. It's a total value beer in that respect, if taste is considered in the choice.

Yuengling now has TV commercials complete with girls in bikinis, at least in the Philadelphia area, which doesn't seem quite necessary. A trip to the brewery is Pottsville is definitely worth the trip, although they're a little bit chinsy on the free samples I'd say.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

Experience must count for something, because "America's Oldest Brewery" could definitely teach the big three a few things about making a quality lager. It's darker than most, almost an amber. It's richer and fuller as well. Definitely a lager, but I don't think its as crisp as some...its just really smooth. I've had it each of the past four weeks for tailgating...great session brew.

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Probably the most interesting characteristic of this beer (besides its history) is the head that forms over the top of the drink. A milky-white film glazes over the surface of the beer and hardly ever fades completely. This distinct character to the beer may explain its bitter and highly carbonated taste. Start is hoppy and finish is distinctively bitter, leaving a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. Medium bodied and practically tan in color, Traditional Lager should not be confused with Amber Lager (a superior drink in my opinion). This beer is worthy of being pursued if its on special at your local bar, but otherwise you may be more satisfied looking elsewhere for a beverage.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 10SEP03, this post is based on notes from that review. -

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

A very decent lager that I had heard much about, but had not had a chance to sample. This beer is nicely dark amber in color. The white head rises up nicely, but shrinks away quickly after the initial burst. The lacing is minimal.

The nose is light and quite lager-like with a nice malt sense being present. The flavor is full and quite enjoyable. A very session brew a nice crisp finish.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Yuengling Traditional Lager tastes absolutely great. I had tasted Black and Tan before, but never the traditional lager. I must say it tastes great. There isn't a strong aftertaste, and it goes down very smoothly. It also has a great mouthfeel. I recommend Yuengling Traditional Lager to anybody.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Green bottle with twist top (ick). No freshness date, or information about the beer beyond “Original Amber Beer”. This bottle is “aged”. A friend brought it down and handed it off to me when he moved.
Aroma: A perfume like floral scent with traces of yeast and esters. Also a bit of a musty smell as well, which became distracting as it warmed. Given no other reviewers noted this, I'm guessing it's due to my "aged" sample.
Appearance: Dark yellow/amber color. Active carbonation, but the head receded into a collar fairly quickly, and the collar didn't last or lace. Substantial puffy white globs dwell on the bottom of the bottle. Was careful not to let them into my glass.
Flavor: A clean taste with good balance between the hops and malt. Edge goes to the malt, but a ghost of a hop bitter in the aftertaste as well.
Mouthfeel: Medium, with a bit of evaporation at the end of a sip, which left a dry finish.
Overall Impression: Not bad. Wouldn’t drive the 2,000+ miles to go get some, but would buy some if it was local, just to keep a part of our beer history alive.

3.16/5  rDev -7.3%

This lager was light amber in color with a thin white head. Not much aroma was present, as some slight sweetness was barely noticeable. The flavor leans towards the malts, as the hop level is on the lighter side. The sweetness rides the tongue, but then does develop into a slight bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable as it is relatively light bodied and flavors are not overpowering.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a gateway beer. It leads people from macros, expands their horizons, and makes them more willing to try micros. Is it the best beer in the world? Or course not. But per dollar it is a fantastic beer. And any beer that gives Bud a run for their money has a place in my heart. I hear that here in Philly we get more Bud/Miller advertising than other areas b/c of Yuengling's market share.

Now on to the beer...

The beer looks good with a nice amber color and smells ok. It has corn in it, but it seems to work. The taste is very good for a macro (regional), but it is too sweet. It's still good, and most of your friends will not mind at all. It is lightly hopped, but as long as you know that going in, it's fine.

Best of luck against the bigger macros.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

This is a beer I forgot to try while in Virginia, but a coworker brought back his last visit to his hometown area near the Pennnsylvania border. It poured a nice reddish amber color and formed a foamy white head that disappeared fairly quickly and left some trace circular lace. A very small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops and some malt with a very mild hint of caramel. The flavor was of malt and a hint of caramel and the body was fairly thin with a slight bittness and astrigency in the finish. As far as lager goes, for it's price, you can't go wrong with this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

"America's oldest brewery" suprisingly has resisted the urge to lighten up their flagship so it looks and taste more like megabrewed crap. Color is certainly amber, kicks up a frothy head. Sweet malty taste, almost roasty caramel, and trace of flavoring hops. Surprising yeast taste, may turn off some people. Could the big bottle have been old? Still, an interesting catch. Had the whole quart and 3 Lord Chesterfields and didn't feel a thing. A "not great-not terrible" beer.

3.71/5  rDev +8.8%

Sam Adams likes to say their Boston Lager returned America to flavorful beer, but these guys have been doing it for way longer. Being from Maryland, I have always been around Yuengling and I hope I always will be in the future. Talk about a session beer! Not only is this stuff cheap by comparison even to Macro-Swill, it is actually good! Pours a nice amber. Definite maple-sugar/syrup flavor to the beer, but its only a hint, not a defining characteristic. A bit of hops in the finish. Very good mouthfeel for a lager, leaves your mouth feeling full of beer, not water. I know people who say this is their favorite beer.... its not THAT good. But, I can't afford to keep the fridge stocked with Rochefort 6 and St. Bernardus, and this beer is an incredible bang for the buck. I frequently find it for $13.99 a case (bottles) in my area and I've heard its cheaper in PA.

2.96/5  rDev -13.2%

I popped the cap and was hit with a sweet aroma, nicely carbonated. I poured this darkish lager and watched the strong head form as I've done before. medium body not to dark, not to heavy a nice looking lager. The finish was a little sweet (for my taste), butt the aftertaste was the slightest bit bitter. Nice finish kind of balance the whole thing out. One of the best American lagers!!!

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

this is no longer the beer that i remember. not that is was ever anythign extravegant, yuengling seemingly used to be a fuller, more flavourful beer. now it's really just a step above the buds and coors' of the world, though i must add that yuengling's drinkability is tenfold better than any of those brews. it pours a slightly watery looking light amber with a nice amount of carbonation for a lager. taste, as i said, is a bit thinner than i remember, mostly standard malt and hop flavours here. nothing daring. there's a bit of earthiness as well. it can usually be found rather cheaply on tap and in stores, so if the money's tight, it's not a horrible choice, but for maybe a buck more for a 6 pack, there are tons of better brews to choose from.

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

One man's ordinary is another man's servicable. I think of Yuengling as a good beer for what it is...which isn't complex or very artfully crafted. But it is good.

The Yuengling pours a nice amber but the head is very minimal. I tried to find a head somewhere in there but it just wouldn't rise. Perhaps the draft version is more lively.

The aroma is light, clean and dominated by malt with a faint hint of hops.

The beer is a little thin but has an obvious malt sweetness and an unexpected hop presence, although this is far from a hoppy beer. The mouthfeel is quite thin, nothing special here. However, the drinkability is very good. I can see having a few Yuengling's in one sitting but I wouldn't think it would be good with food. At the end of the day, it's a beer for drankin'...not savoring.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Ahh Yuengling... being a Penn State grad, I’ve drunk quite a few of these prior to this review. I’ve always felt that although Yuengling may not be a world class standout amongst beers, it is probably one of the best “cheap” beers I’ve ever had. The beer for the discerning cheap college student...

Nice clear amber in color. Decent foamy head that hangs around for a bit before retreating to a thin ring around the glass. Malty aroma with a good hop balance. The mouthfeel is a little on the thin side with this one and the flavors are all a bit subdued. There’s a slight sweet malt taste that is fairly well balanced with restrained hop bitterness. The sweetness comes out more as the beer warms. There’s a slight bitter finish. Carbonation is moderate. This one is definitely crisp, clean, and uncomplicated.

4.08/5  rDev +19.6%

The fallback bottled beer for me, and thousands of other people originally from PA.

There are no stand out tastes in this beer -- it has a very light caramel overtone to it, and a bit of a taste of the fermentation tank, slightly metallic, but somehow not unpleasent. It is very carbonated, but somehow, the strong rush of bubbles plays in its favor. To me, it is simply what I think of when I think "basic beer."

Drinkability is incredibly good. Having one begs you to have another. I have memories of beach trips where me and my friends would drink this all night, and the next night, and the next night after that...

As a side note, I've never enjoyed this on-tap -- too little head retention, mouthfeel suffers, and the carbonation goes out the window. Ends up looking like cider. Could just be personal preference.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%

After quite a period of time of not liking much from the Yuengling line, having lived near there, I now have developed a better feeling for the beer. I clearly is a great looking beer with a typical amber lager head but the aroma is ordinary with some hops coming through. What seems to be coming on now is more body and a more lingering aftertaste.

It's not a classic but much better with, say pizza, than the insipid American pale lagers of the mass producers.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery