Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,753 |  Reviews: 1,773
4.05/5  rDev +18.8%

As a former roommate calls it, "the best Philadelphia sewer water you'll ever taste."

A nice amber color, this brew had a tiny but present foamy head. Wafting this lager (should one waft such a hearty beer?) it had a fruity scent balanced with a hearty slightly-roasted malt scent. Flavored by a good amber lager taste, it has a good use of hops and roasted malt. The hops are mild but big enough to make things fruity enough, and is perfectly paired with the malt. Very easy to drink from its watery slide, and also has a little lager fizziness in the swallow.

OK, that was silly - rating a Yuengling like it was some sort of grand cru... it's just a good blue-collar, everyday beer. This over a Bud anyday.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

This beer is slightly worse in the can than it is in the bottle or on draught. It is still a class American Amber Lager that has an incredible drinkability and a thin mouthfeel. The taste and aroma are very subdued and simple in this canned version of this local PA favorite beer.
Still a classic IMO...
Cheers!
-F

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

I really don't like the public's perception of this beer. Around here, all you have to say is you want a lager and they bring you a yuengling like it's the only kind in existence. I have to restrain myself from telling people it's just an average beer made using corn grits as an ingredient and that lager does not mean amber colored beer. That's only about the beer's image though. The beer itself is quite good. It pours with that famous amber color with a head that diminishes as quickly as it forms. The taste has a malty sweetness and the hops lend a slight citrusy dryness. It's very well balanced which makes this way better than any other macro. I'd call this an all purpose beer. This beer is cheap, widely available and It can be paired with virtually any food. That's what makes it a great fallback beer. It's the kind of beer that's worth keeping a case in the fridge at all times even though you usually crave something better.

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

Traditional Lager? What does this mean? This brewery was producing beer before the lager style was invented. That said, we should expect more from “America’s Oldest Brewery”. Amber/Copper colored with a light corn-like malt. Soft wet corncob aroma. The mild/medium hops are nothing to get excited over...sort of grassy, bland, weak and lightly citrusy.
A seltzery effervescence and head fizz away in a hurry. Zzzzz!

3.92/5  rDev +15%

This beer will always hold a dear place in my heart and my belly as the best alternative to bud and coors. And that's the function it has served to me for many years now and many years to come. It's a simple, refreshing lager that is a great session beer. It's light brown, crystal clear, and there's not much of a head after 20 seconds.
There is absolutely nothing exciting about this beer at all. It's a plain jane lager and it's a shitload better than bud, miller, junk, etc. A little sweetness comes through and just a touch of hops. A dry finish combines with no aftertaste. And there you have it. A perfect alternative to macros. If I know I will be consuming large amounts of beer for certain occasions, this will always be my choice if it is available where I am. Never dissappointing, never exciting, always pleasing in it's own simple way. Maybe I'm biased but who cares? I love this stuff and so does my non-aching head the next day.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%

I had been waiting a long time to try this one. I have heard so many good things from so many people about the quality of this beer. Unfortunately I was far from impressed. I was hoping for a great flavorful excursion into the land of pilsners, but was greated by a slighlty darker version of regular old Bud. Left a stale taste in my mouth and in my soul.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%

this is the beer i've probably drank the most of in my life, but i think i can still be objective. this is a decent dark lager. you usually will pay just as much for it as you would for the same amount of bud, michelob, etc.
the taste has very mellow malts, some hops but not a lot. i seem to always detect a slight lemony aftertaste and then something slightly metallic. it's not a big deal, though. i would drink this over macro-swill any day. this beer has a very good drinkability in all seasons and with all kinds of different beer drinkers.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Ah, the old stand-by. The beer that has saved me on countless occasions. Saved me from drinking something weak, bland or just plain unenjoyable. This beer is a nice step up from most macro beers. Just about every bar in the Philadelphia area has this on tap – sitting along side Bud, Coors and Miller. The beer pours a bright amber color and has a slight head of foam. Pleasant malt sweetness and bitterness. Both go together very well. Light to medium bodied. Usually leaves a slight tangy aftertaste.

A decent session beer and a good everyday choice.

2.94/5  rDev -13.8%

Yuengling Traditional Lager is a pretty good macro by my standards, and is usually found at a pretty good price. A much better alternative to the Big 3.

Pours a nice deep amber color, with a thin foam head that quickly fizzes away. Smell was slightly skunky because of the green bottle, but some grains could be detected underneath that. Smooth mouthfeel. The first sip is kind of sweet, maybe some notes of caramel. After that, the taste was a little more watery than I was expecting, but had an unoffensive grainy taste. The hops added a slight lemony presence and lended a slight dryness. The aftertaste is a little bready at first, but makes way for a creamed corn taste, which after finishing the beer will still be with you for a few minutes. The beer finishes with almost no alcoholic warmth.

I rate it next to Pabst Blue Ribbon if you're in the market for an economy lager. It has become quite popular in many NJ dining establishments recently making it a good alternative to BudMillerCoors.

3.66/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this on tap and I was quite pleased. Nice amber color with a nice white head that seemed to stay throughout the drink. Not much aroma- but taste was crisp and well balanced with a little bit hop assertivness going on. Reminded me am English style lager- sort of bready, but in nice way. As for drinkability, this beer probably goes with just about everything.

I hate to give straight three's, but that's how this beer hits me. When up against Bud, Miller, and Pabst, it is clearly superior - tasting almost like halfway to a Sierra Nevada. Some hoppines, a little fruitiness, and a cleaner quality. But, when tried against the Sierra, it's significantly inferior, with that American lager smell and taste. (makes the Sierra taste unbelievably good!). Nice amber color, small head, very little retention. Clean, goes down real easy. If you like American mainstream lagers, definitely seek this out, as it is the best (that I've tried) of the lot. But, in comparison to any of the great beers, fuggedabouddit!

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer poured a nice clear woodsy/amber color. The head was a thin white color and consistency and no lace seemed to be present. The aroma was fairly crisp, hints of malt, hops, and some flowers seemed to be present. The taste was OK, sub-typical lager, nothing to write home about. Tastes of some sweet malt, fruit and bitter hops were present. Decently carbonated. To me this beer is very generic for this style. I have drank this before and try to stay away from it d/t it makes me feel nauseous the next morning. I like lagers but for some reason this beer does not impress me. I will have 1 when there is no other choice or just drink ice tea. They must know something since they have been brewing for such along time, just not my mug of beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

The oldest American continously running brewery, just that alone I think I have to pay my respects. This was the beer that in the Northern Panhandle of WV, still in high school we would cross the border into PA to get our hands on the good stuff. Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager was a beer we all yearned for, considering most days we drank mostly Coors Light and Busch. She pours with an amber brown hue, with heavily carbonated white colored head. The aroma consists pimarily of sweet malt possibly caramel, and there is a weak but present hop like aroma. I would like to the thank the Yuengling family for keeping up a better product than the macros out there and keeping their beers moderately priced. The lighter bodied beer has a rather thin texture, and it does annoy me that most of the time this beer gets way to much credit as being the good stuff. When in reality it is a mediocre beer that is great for getting people away from the fizzy yelllow brews this country mainly has to offer. A relatively sweet, but mostly bitter crisp finish forms a classic taste that I cherish. Yes, I cannot lie I can drink my fair share of it, but it really isn't a beer that I should spend much time on.

3.61/5  rDev +5.9%

I love the price for a six-pack of this $4.99 a six pack!Your drinking a well-made beer and it is cheaper then AB products!Very good on tap is a staple of mine when I go out and dont have alot of money.Good to see the little breweries get recognized so Ab and the rest dont have control over everything in the supermarkets.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Interestingly, it's shipped in green bottles (see: Rolling Rock). Introduced to this beer by my father-in law, it's a staple in many refrigerators and bars in Pennsylvania.

Poured a clear amber color with minimal head that barely laces the glass. Aroma is...funky. Hard to put my finger on it.

Very crisp and refreshing taste. Good beer to drink for the sake of drinking a beer. Hoppy flavor present but by no means extreme. Mouthfeel slightly above average. Finishes slightly bitter with very little aftertaste.

Overall, I think of this beer as a step above the macros but certainly aimed at the mass-market. I've had it on tap at many bars in PA and it's a little better than out of the bottle.

4.07/5  rDev +19.4%

This is one of the best of the "Big Boys" in American brewerys. I couldn't get it down in SC, so I would bring cases of it down. It's cheap and it's really good for the price. Has a nice light, but not too light taste to it and finishes smoother than a babies a**! Go get some!

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I remember the first time I had this beer on tap, it was at a cool party in early 1995, and Traditional Lager was still relatively new. It made a very memorable favorable impression on me.

I had this again last night on tap at a Flyers game. It was identified to me as Red Bell Philadelphia Lager, but one taste and I knew it was Yuengling Traditional Lager. Last night the Yuengling Tradtional Lager was perfect, very well balanced with a pleasant hop taste from middle to late ending taste with a sweet but not treacly aftertaste. It is a wonderful session beer.

As beer geek, I don't drink this beer if there is anything else more interesting being offered. In the Philadelphia area it is now as ubiquitous as Budweiser, which means I can find it a regular bars when we play dart league games away or at wedding receptions, and is a totally welcome save from Bud or Coors Light.

For a Bud priced beer, this one is a real winner. Definitely not swill. It ain't Hop Devil, but it's not supposed to be. It's nice to see this brewery make its way up and down the eastern seaboard. Go Yuengling go!

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a nice, clear amber body with a quickly dissipating head. Leaves some trails of lace. Smell is a bit grainy, but not too bad. Taste is fairly well-balanced with some metallic elements. Nice overall. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, and drinkability-wise, this scores highly. A very quaffable, clean American lager that makes for an excellent session brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growing up near Pottsville, PA, Yuengling's my hometown brewery, and their Lager is the first beer I began drinking reguarly. While I am admittedly biased, increased tasting experience has led me to recognize it as a good overall American amber. I'm not sure if its reputation among devotees or perhaps less serious beer drinkers as a "nectar of the gods" is completely justified, however. Nonetheless, I do enjoy this beer greatly. For this review, the bottle poured a nice clear, amber color, with a thin head and very little lacing. Only a few carbonation bubbles rose to the surface, giving the beer a slightly flat apperance. I noted some traces of corn in the aroma, with a slight malt smell, too. There was also a small, indecipherable metallic odor, but nothing overpowering. The taste had a good hop/malt balance with a very pleasing hop bitterness in the aftertaste. There was also a slight corn taste (I believe it's used as an adjunct in brewing), but the Lager gets away with it. This beer felt very creamy and the medium body had a smooth mouthfeel. Yuengling Traditional Lager remains an eminently drinkable beer, and will always be a welcome fall-back brew for me.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a GOOD beer, not a great one though. I have no problem paying the 15.50 for a case of bottles that is common around me but i would never pay the ~22+ for it where my girlfriend lives in NY. If im going at yuengling one evening i tend to buy the premium, its a few bucks cheaper and its 99% as good (i heard somewhere the difference is just a lil food coloring and the negligible taste difference is just palcibo with paying a few bucks more).
head it pours is light, fluffy, and small....evaporates quickly...leaves no noticeable lace...typical amber brown...average appearance...taste is mellow with no noticeable hopiness and primarily mellow malts, strong element of sweetness and some alchohol taste to it as well...carbonation is also very light but body of beer does have a substance to it. An average beer with a slightly above average taste and drinkability

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

No doubt, this lager has a death grip on Philadelphia. It may not be groundbreaking, but it's a relief to walk into a bar and have this as the cheap beer of choice rather than the other macro options. Beer connoisseurs beware, the flavors are muted for the crowd-pleasing factor, but it's a solid standard for an affordable amber lager. Looks nice in the glass, looks even better when the glass is empty, and good on the refill too. Just enough spice and the right hop balance to make it a credible quaffing beer. Good for a cheap crowd-pleasing lager.

It's a local fave, so my opinion is obviously tainted...

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%

This is the beer I fall back on if nothing else is available. Nice copper color is pleasing to the eye. I has some flavor with a very clean finish and goes down easy. This is the beer I give to my macro friends when they come over because everyhting else is "too bitter" or "too heavy", or I order it with dinner if the establishment has no appreciation for good beer. Seems that several years ago it was harder to find, but now it is about as common as bud here in Pa, but not as "common".

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

I'm not sure if there is a better value on the market. It taste's great, and if you're lucky enough to have it sold near you, it should only cost about $5 -$6 per six-pack. The head is almost soapy in appearence and mouthfeel. The hops are up front, and quickly yeild to a whole host of other flavors, too many to name. It isn't very sweet, but it still goes down smooth. One of the most unique flavors I've ever had. I've never met anyone who didn't like it. Although the alcohol isn't listed, it can't be all that much, as I can drink this stuff all day. There are better beers availiable, but none that give you this much for the money. A really great beer.

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle with the coolest old school US beer label on the planet. No freshness date, but there is a batch code ... where's my Yuengling Decoder Ring?

Appearance: A beautiful, bright, rich amber beer with a thin white laced head.

Smell: Clean aroma, soft grain, metallic, earth aromas. Faint sulfur.

Taste: Smooth. The beer's tight carbonation tingles the palate and creams things up the mouthfeel. A thin malt sweetness with a soft fruity character balances well with a flash of sharp limey, citrus-like hop bitterness. Crisp, dry with a hop leaf feel hiding in the dryness. Touch of salt, mineral, metallic and sulfur flavours. Finish is dry with light grain husk tannins.

Notes: A very basic, old-school lager. Simple, sturdy and tasty ...

Middle of the road. The beer has a copper color and a medium head. Faint, sweet malty smell. Very light on the hops, with a respectable malt slant. Finish is clean, with little hop bitterness. I thought it was a little bland and ordinary. Still, it's probably better than 90% of the beers in its price range.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery