Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,668 | Ratings: 6,229
3.2/5  rDev -5%

Yuengling Lager has always been a staple beer for me since long before I was a BA. Even now that I appreciate better beers, from time to time I find this to be a very adequate fall back beer. Previously I wrote a review of this beer on-tap and when I re-read it today I realized this is the same opinion I have from the bottle. Here is my previous review:

First of all, Yuengling is a very American beer with an American logo; when I think of Yuengling Lager I feel I must salute or say the pledge of allegiance or do something American. It is also a local beer here in PA. This beer was an absolute staple of mine for many years (before I became an enlightened beer 'snob'), and it is still a great fall back beer. If at a bar with no micro-brews, this is a decent option. Because of how inexpensive Yuengling Lager is I put it in a category of macro-beers. In that category it is definitely and the top (far above average). If compared against other craft brews Yuengling drops significantly lower on the list. This is a SOLID - 3 - beer. It is what I think of when I am comparing something plus or minus the quality I want to drink. As an average beer it is cheap and easily available at all the bars in my area; all plusses to the beer.
Golden/amber in color, thin, beige head
Somewhat typical smell of sweet honey malts
Taste is a bit better than you'd expect from a cheap beer. It is malty sweet with just a hint of bitter hops; a very middle of the road taste. Meaning it likely, won't really conflict with anything on your palate.
Mouthfeel is light/medium. Crisp and refreshing.
This is for me the epitome of a session beer. I cannot count how many times I have toooo much to drink of this beer. One after another they go down easier and easier. WOW!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Had a pint on tap, this beer had a nice color for a lager, almost a copper color. The smell was typical for a macro type lager, tastes pretty decent, I'd rather drink this than most macros. It does have a little more sweetness than I'm used to though. Not bad for a lager, definitely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance is a light amber with small head that quickly disappears.

Smell of corn and hops is immediate. Slightly sweet smell.

Taste is a it different due to the corn. Not too sweet nor bitter. Very enjoyable in comparison to most American swill.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Just feels so good, hard to describe.

Drinkability is quite high although over doing it leaves you feeling quite full.

This is a good macro-brew. Not on the level of Sam Adams but the flavor may be more appealing to mainstream America than Sam as well. Although I prefer Sam Adams, this isn't a bad one to fall back on.

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours with quickly fading head. Color is light amber/brown. Light smell of toasty biscuits.

Taste is not impressive. Decent amount of flavor, but I think I detect corn, or some other adjunct. Mouthfeel is smooth, moderate carbonation. I'll pass on having another one.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Got a 12pk of these for $9.99. Appearance is copper in color with an OK head & no lacing to speak off. Smell is not the best -- a little sour and hints of fruit. The taste, however, is pretty good - has a little fruit coming out with some maltiness as well. It's a crisp beer, but not that bitter. Basically, for someone who feels Bud is a beer w/o a lot of flavor -- I'd recommend trying this instead. Drinkability is good, as I could easily spend a night drinking just these.

2.63/5  rDev -22%

This beer has become a Pennsylvania institution. Order simply "lager" almost anywhere in the state and this is what you will get. I for one was never really a fan. For example I ended up drinking it this time at my step father's 70th birthday party which had an open bar featuring Miller Lite or you guessed it, Yuengling Lager. I guess that puts in perspective what circumstances will lead me to drinking this beer.

It's certainly not BAD, just certainly not good either. The look is completely average. It has almost no smell, and tastes watered down and too bready.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with decent head. Not a very pleasent smell, mostly consists of citrus fruits and sour malts. The slight citrus scent carries over to the flavor where the citrus flavors mingle with the typical lager maltiness and finishes up with a bit of crisp hop bitterness. Not at all a bad brew, this is a good brew to have when you have a few friends over that are afriad to venture to far from macro brews.

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

I drink this beer about every other day, so I think I have enough credentials to at least review it, though I may be slightly biased. In Philly bars, all you have to say is "lager" and you get one of these.

It pours a nice amber with a sort-of-white head that dissipates in under a minute.

Upon first taste, you get what I used to call the "Yuengling taste," which I have sinced learned (from a tour of the brewery in Pottsville) is corn. It's the only beer that I've had, to my knowledge, that uses corn as an ingredient. Inexperienced beer drinkers tend not to like this taste. You can pick up the corn in the aroma as well, but it isn't overpowering.

This is a real easy-drinking beer and very refreshing when you need one. Yuengling Traditional Lager will always be my "default beer."

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber color with about a quarter inch of whiteish head. Lacing is decent.

Smell: I've had this beer so many times its hard to describe it as anything other than "It smells like Yuengling." Sweet odors reminiscent of corn dominate with hints of leafy hops.

Taste: Malts are first with a rice cake flavor waning away to sourdough bread. There is very little hop presence yet the beer is not too sweet.

Mouthfeel: I have always thought that Yuengling feels weird. It almost feels at times as if you are drinking a half foam, half beer concoction. It is not altogether unpleasant but it is different than most other beers.

Drinkability: Well, this is basically my fall back beer, so I have to give it high marks for that. But experience has shown me that having too many Yuengs can really fill you up, like no other beer I've ever had.

2.72/5  rDev -19.3%

From my notes... I drank a lot of this a few months ago because it was cheap, plentiful, and better than most lagers available.

This beer never failed to dissappoint me in appearance; A brown-orange color with no head at all (ever), some rising bubbles that popped and came to nothing. Darker than most macros, but really looked like swill.

Sour beery alcohol scents. Great for drunks, not so great for a more developed palate. I never really liked this even before starting to learn what a good beer smells like.

Crisp flavor; Malty, some sour bitterness, yeasty notes; Not as light as most macros, due to the lack of rice and other crummy stuff.

Boring mouthfeel, just a little thicker than water.

This should have a huge drinkability score, but I just can't bring myself to it. Yeah, for a while I drank lots of this, but the last time I had some it just struck me as unpleasant to drink.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Unimpressive head to start out and doesn't last but a few seconds. Probably leads to the lack of a convincing boquet, which sweeter and strangely echoes scents of mushrooms. Color is a solid golden amber color, which is probably its best feature. Carbonation is moderately tight. Taste is very grainy but worth your while. Leaves a warm morning-breath like feel in your mouth which is unpleasant, but little aftertaste. A good beer for relaxing with friends.

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Nice light amber color, but the head rapidly dissipated. The aroma is clean with a faint hint of caramel and graininess. The flavor is a bit subdued, featuring a touch of maltiness and some balancing hop bitterness but very little else in the way of flavor. The overall impression is dryness and a crisp blend of light malt and hops. Overall this is definitely a step up from the usual macroswill but its got a long way to go to deserve 'premium' or at least what I expect from 'premium'.

This is my first review because this is my favorite beer. At this point, I know about where the quality of this brew is, which is good, but not superlative. (It does pass the only two quality tests I know of though. If you serve it warm, it still tastes fine, and there's not a beer I've ever tried that will make the taste of Yuengling Traditional suffer if you try them head to head) The reason why it still stands up as my favorite is because I've got moderate taste, and because this is my go-to beer. It is pretty good at everything in my opinion. You can use this as a session beer, you can drink it with food, you can drink it on a hot day. There's no time I can think of where you might want a beer where you could go wrong with Yuengling Traditional Lager. That said, I think its hard to beat the appearance in the green bottle (no problem with skunking for me since I live less than a day's drive from the brewery). The contrast of green bottle and dark lager is pleasing. Its head is not reliable, but reaches a respectable size when it does form and it does usually leave a bit of lacing. The smell is about what a beer should smell like. Yeasty and malty with some tang from the hops. Taste is more of the same. Malt and some noticable yeast. It tends more towards sweet than bitter, but there is little bitter there for balance. The most consistent "notes" I detect is a little grass and maybe a really faint bit of citrus. One of my favorite things about Yuengling Traditional Lager are the hops they use. I don't know the variety, but they are one of my favorites because they add an interesting and fairly complex flavor without excessive bitterness (something few beers do). For some reason the taste seems to be more pronounced in the bottle. The aroma and more suble taste aspects of the hops can dissapate in a pint glass sometimes Also, I notice at least one person ahead of me said this has no "adjunct" ingredients. I'm not sure this is true. If there are added "adjuncts", sure they're low on the list, and definately there's no rice, but I suspect there may be some corn in here. Though that may just be the yeast and hops messing with me because the corn is another thing I can only seem to get from the bottle. Anyway, the mouthfeel... pretty medium (surprise!). This is also a plus for me. Its heavy enough so that I know I'm drinking a real beer, but it still slides down easy. For this reason drinkability gets a really high rating. Between the consistently pleasant taste, and the not too heavy feel, Yuengling Traditional Lager goes down really easy. As I try new beers, the chances I'll order one of these has decreased some, I do like variety. But in the end this is still my favorite. And I think its a testament to the good taste of the area I live in that Yuengling Traditional is almost as common around here as Bud/Miller/Coors. Its about the same price besides. Its certainly hard to beat in that respect.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Had a bottle in a pilsner glass.

I always liked this beer on a hot summer day. I think it's one of the best American lagers.

Poured a nice golden color with minimal head. Carbonation remained throughout the glass with some lacing.
Not a strong smell, a bit of grain but not sweet.
Taste was good, light. I've been drinking a lot of heavier beers lately, so this seemed really watered down in comparison.
Not a heavy beer. Lightly carbonated.
Very drinkable, especially on a hot summer day.
A great bargain as well, compared to other American Lagers.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Yuengling lager in a can is not as good as Yuengling lager in a bottle. The same basic low-key taste is there, but it somehow inherits a bit of aluminum flavor from the can. A metallic tinge that distracts from the usual deliciousness. It's still refreshing on a hot day, but i wouldn't drink a lot of them any other time. I've also found that it skunks pretty easily, more so than many other canned beers.

....i've been informed by one of the more aggressive beer nerds that beer in cans do not skunk. yeah, ok. but it does lose its flavor fairly quickly in my experience after short term storage and becomes very corona-like, despite it not coming into contact with any light. dont age it is the point.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

As beer snobs we often turn up our noses in protest of anything that resembles the flavor of a macrobrew. However, the American "session beers" that dominated the pre-prohibition market were often considerably tasty, albeit light, and very drinkable. These beers were usually all-malt in the grain bill - before the addition of adjuncts such as corn and rice became popular. The Yuengling Traditional Lager falls under this category.

It pours a light amber color with almost no head. The aroma has that distinct American lager yeasty aroma with notes of malt in the background. The flavor is mild matliness with a slight caramel accent and mild noble hops balancing things out reasonably well. The mouthfeel is pretty good and the carbonation is fine and tight. Served cold, this beer makes a good thirst quencher.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a copperish color with a poofy white head, no lacing. Smells sour and citrusy, lemony. Tastes citrusy as well, with a grainy flavor, a light bitter hops thing going on. Clean finish. A bit of fruityness towards the end mixed with a maltyness.

Mouthfeel is bubbly but on the watery, thin side. Quite drinkable I'd say- doesn't taste horrible, warms up alright, light and simple. A good brew for a hot day.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into an american pint glass. It poured a dark copper that was bright and inviting. The head was about and inch but it was gone rather quickly. The aroma carried strong maltiness to it and some smokiness that was very inviting. It was a very full beer without being too dry and when it left the mouth it left a nice malty taste but it wasnt overwhelming. Over all better than i expected and i beer i would definatley try from now on.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was low end for the style. I had it on tap at Ham's yesterday. The color was a dark red. The smell was kindly spicey. The taste was not what I was expecting. It had the taste of a macro but something was just wrong. The mouthfeel was pretty harsh. It had quite a bit of bite. Not a beer I would order often. Not even when they are $1.50 a pint.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear and golden in color. Slight head that doesnÂ’t stick around long. Good carbonation. Sweet yet crisp smell. Well balanced. Light and easy drinking. A good, standard, inexpensive lager. Easily able to drink a couple at a time. I must say that I prefer draft over bottle. I consider the Yuengling Lager a baseline beer. It is my average beer.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Yuengling is brewing some good stuff here. Poured out to a deep golden amber color with a short lived head. Medium level of carbonation. Minor notes of lace. Aroma was very weak, but hints of hops and grain were present. Taste was a full step up from anything BMC could ever kick out; flavors of mild malt, salty grains, corn and hops were very enjoyable. Mouthfeel was decent, with the carbonation again making the brew brisk and refreshing. Good drinkability; I can now see why many are die-hards when it comes to this breweries beers. Recommended. Special thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the sample.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a Dark Honey color with good clarity. One finger of dense head with decent retention that will leave light lacing. Clean nose, just some light pale malt aromas. Toasted pilsener malt flavor, balanced nicely with some grassy hops that will remain throughout the aftertaste. High carbonation and a light body smooth the mouthfeel, which is rather crisp. The finish is hoppy bitter and slightly dry, but nothing that would hinder the drinkability.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer pours a bubbly amber color with a slight head that leaves a decent lacing on the glass. Smell is very lemony and grassy with a hint of veggies. Taste is a bubbly corn suprise. Mouthfeel is a bit too bubbly. Drinkability, however is quite high. This one goes down smooth and keeps you coming back for more. 14.75/case isn't bad either.

Cheers.