Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,689 | Ratings: 6,344
3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

There's really not a lot to say about Yuengling. It's a huge standby on the east coast, and most every party I've been to in DC/MD/VA had this as the "mass" beer. It's not the greatest beer in the world, not by a long shot, but it certainly has it's place, especially on a warm summer night when it's ice cold. It's reasonably light, crisp, and rather refreshing - almost soda like - but still with enough flavour to make it stand out from the megabrews like Budweiser and Miller.

If you're beering on a budget, and it's available, then it's worth a look, and always useful to have in the fridge when "less worthy" friends come over for a brew.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice hard pour into a 16 oz. conical glass. 1 finger thick off white head, more foamy than anything that quickly dissipates to nothing. No lacing as the beer is drunk. Color is a crystal clear light amber/honey.

Aroma is of sweet malts with a light corn element. Hops are faint, but there.

Taste is not bad - lightly sweet malts and corn profile up front followed by crisp and tight carbonation. Sweet flavor and a light tingling sensation linger on the tongue. Slight spicy hop flavor here too, really the only time I could pick them out. Overall, a nice, light American lager.

The crisp carbonation gives the beer a pleasant mouthfeel. Body is light, beer is easy to drink.

Overall I'd say the drinkability is great. It's nothing spectacular, but for an American macro lager, it is certainly one of the better choices out there. Not much character to the beer, but in return you get a decent, straightforward lager. Yuengling is my go-to cheap American beer. Plus it's brewed not too far away in Tampa.

Also, I would reccommend to buy Yuengling in either cans or 12/24 packs; the green bottles tend to be skunked by the time you get them home in the sixers.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

My go-to beer when I stand in the beer isle and can't decide what to buy. The best thing about it is that it's America's oldest family owned and operated brewery that's still going strong after all these years. Taste is overall really good in that you can actually taste this beer when you compare it to something like Bud Light or Miller.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours out a light coppery color with decent head. The smell is nothing to write home about but if you are in most local bars, this is the beer to get. I drink this beer just about every week when I go to the bar around my house. Its a lot better than the other "popular" macros like Bud, Coors, or Miller. This beer goes down very smooth and is a great beer to have with some friends while watching a game at your local sports bar and having some buffalo wings. A "gourmet" beer it is not, but it certainly serves its purpose, being a good drinkable beer when you go out with some friends.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Copper in color. Decent head with medium lacing.

Smell: Generic beer smell. No outstanding aromas.

Taste: No hop presence. Malt flavor is prominent.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth drinkinmg beer. Medium carbonation is just right.

Drinkability: A decent session beer if you have nothing else to drink.

Overall: Not a bad mass produced beer. A fall back is somewhere you are has nothing else.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Delicious. Much better than the BMC beers in my opinion. A little more malt, darker but a very light mouthfeel. Very sessionable, I enjoyed this beer. Poured a dark golden with a tan/creamy looking head. Thick head that dissipated quickly.

Wish I could get it around here.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Simple light amber color without much head. Smells hoppy and bit grassy. Very clean and crisp taste without much complexity. Hoppy with some mild orange rind. Lingering bitterness is very mild. Not a bad choice for a refereshing cold one, certainly better than most macros, but not in the discussion of true great crafts.

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I grew up with this beer. My family drank it and continues to. I have it quite a bit at family gatherings. I think it isn't a bad beer for what it is. It is highly carbonated which turns me off, but the malt/bready taste I get from it holds up pretty well.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

When you are looking for simply a classic lager. This is it. This is a solid "go to" beer when at a restaurant that doesn't sell any decent crafts. Yuengling will always have a place in my heart as an enjoyable cheap beer.

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%

Had never ever heard of this beer. But was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My wife and I went to dinner at a local restuarant on the beach and they had this stuff on tap. I was curious--wife got the usual and I tried one of these beers. Could not believe it! May have been the most flavorful beer I have ever had. I am lobbying the Indiana State alcohol board to allow this beer to come into Indiana. Hopefully it happen.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

A: a clean clear light amber - almost burnt orange color. Thin off-white sudsy head that fades with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet malt nose with no discernible hop aroma.

T: A sweet toasted malt taste. Slightly metallic with just a hint of bitterness to round out the sweetness.

MF: Lighter bodied but a bit more character than a lighter lager. Sufficient carbonation keeps the extra character from weighing this brew down.

D: A very drinkable lager with character. A welcome addition to any bar or social gathering - particularly in the sea of light American lagers.

I was amazed to see this in my fridge. My roommate is in the National Guard and found this at the duty free shop. I had thought it impossible to find in MA.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

For an PA. beer I guess this ones ok.

A- an ok amber color with a think white head that dissaptes quickly

S- Clean aroma, hops and grain

T- MMM... malty sweet, a slight hop bitterness a tad citrus

M- medium bodied and crisp

D- This a good beer with modrate drinkablity, if I go to a bar and Yuengling is the only thing on tap I order it. Great brew anytime.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: A nice light brown color, with a solid head.

Taste: Very slight taste; notes of light maltiness and sweetness... that's pretty much it. But, it's low key nature is actually an asset because it can be pared with anything, anytime, and it's hard to get sick of it.

Mouthfeel is pretty average, as is the smell... I can't think of anything distinctive about these characteristics.

Bottomline: I've virtually always had it on tap from pitchers, and its been pretty constant. If you want a dirt-cheap beer that's not offensive, get this. It's oh-so drinkable; the quintessence of what a session beer should be when you're hitting the bars (or playing quizzo in Phillie)

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

A- brown, or perhaps the darkest yellow ever. A frothy head disipates into pond scum with large bacterial circles floating on top of my beer.

S- rich and lagery. Small hop backbone.

T- sweetness from the malt, a little hops in the background. Pleasant bit not memorable.

M- light and bubbly

D- holy hell yea

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this both in bottle and on tap. On tap seems to be my favorite. Nice cold mug. This is not an overbearing tasting beer and can drink alot of it on tap without the full feeling most beers can give. Not very foamy. Better on tap then the bottle if your going to drink several.

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Friends from PA brought this in for GOTV. Hey why not?

Poured into my cup. Decent color here. Thought this would be a typical regional flavorless lager. Maybe I am going to be wrong.

Aroma? Not a whole lot of hops. But some. Kind of a skunky thing going on. Green bottle?

Taste...good! Seriously, not bad. I guess it was a $8.99 12 pack. Can't complain!

Decent mouthfeel too. Kind of refreshing.

Hey say what you will, for the price this ain't bad. Went down good and just enough flavor to make it interesting. Nothing to write your friends about but really not a bad beer by any means.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Yuengling is my favorite Marco brewed larger so far. I've had in both in the bottle and poured into glasses. It only produces a small head when poured. The appearance is light in color, and it has a good mouthfeel and taste. This is the beer you will see me drink most often. A winner in my book.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

In honor of this review, I poured my yuengling into a pint glass, because I always drink it from the bottle. Color is nice, nothing special, smell is kinda fruity and malty, tastes...like the same beer I pick up at walmart probably once or twice a week. Sorry, since this is a serious review I should make an effort to go into more detail.

The taste is primarily sour, with malts in the backround, with a slightly sweet fruity aftertaste, and a very nice dry carbonation laced bite throughout every sip. Very carbonated, very satisfying burps. In short, the flavor characteristics of a lot of macro american lagers, only everything is amplified. More sour, more malt, more color, and you can't beat the price.

I'm too poor to afford cheap micros and imports as everyday beers, so this is my everyday beer. Really, if I were a richer man, I'd probably still be drinking Yuengling, for BBQ's, lawn mowing, fishing, or just watching movies with friends, it's perfect for all those.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better.

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For such a popular beer I just don't get it. I do normally drink craft but it's just not all that good. The most interesting thing is that I get bloated before I even close to feeling the effects of the alcohol with this beer.

The beer looks better than it smells, feels, or tastes.

1.19/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Yuengling has a nice appearance. In terms of color it's on the light amber side, with quite a bit of carbonation, and with medium head. I've never been impressed with the smell of this beer. The alcohol seems to overpower the other scents and doesn't have anything that really stands out to me.

The flavor takes a moment to fully register. When the liquid impacts the taste buds, the wheat in it slowly becomes noticeable and makes for a nice aftertaste. It's a shame that this is not more potent in the smell of the beer. If drank too quickly, the aftertaste seems to get lost in the shuffle and is not fully apparent. There's a bit too much carbonation in this to swish it around, as it thickens up a bit too quickly for me when trying to get an accurate taste.

Overall, it's a nice beer for the price. If I'm at a bar with a limited selection, I'll usually go for a Yuengling as it's a solid beer that seems to taste well no matter where I have it.

4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

Yuengling is a beer for all seasons. Robust enough for the cold months, and refreshing enough for the heatwaves. Beautiful crispness and bite with each swig, and a nice amber color to complement a beautiful pour. But forget that man, this is enjoyed right from the bottle. When its ice cold it is delicious and dangerously drinkable. As it warms you get more of the hop bite which is pretty cool. Definitely a beer you can drink 12 of or enjoy with a meal. Yuengling is a terrific beer, in my opinion a perfect beer. I could drink this year round. Living in the northeast, the scarcity and mystique of it only adds to its legend. My favorite beer.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle of this into a pilsener glass. I've been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Living in MN, I had to specially order this online to get it to me. So far, worth the price.

A: 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, very feint lacing.

S: Very feint smell of caramel-sweet hops. A wheat smell with a touch of sugar. I'm sure it would have been stronger if this was on tap.

T: Just a light touch of hops, which is good for me. Slightly sweet and a hint of caramel.

M/D: Very clean, crisp, drinkable.

O: Amazing. There isn't anything that truly sets it apart, but there is not a single thing about this beer that is bad. It is an easy, simple, drinkable beer, which is sometimes a great thing. The most versatile beer in the world, I could drink this anytime, anywhere.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery