Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,668 | Ratings: 6,231
3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this both in bottle and on tap. On tap seems to be my favorite. Nice cold mug. This is not an overbearing tasting beer and can drink alot of it on tap without the full feeling most beers can give. Not very foamy. Better on tap then the bottle if your going to drink several.

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Friends from PA brought this in for GOTV. Hey why not?

Poured into my cup. Decent color here. Thought this would be a typical regional flavorless lager. Maybe I am going to be wrong.

Aroma? Not a whole lot of hops. But some. Kind of a skunky thing going on. Green bottle?

Taste...good! Seriously, not bad. I guess it was a $8.99 12 pack. Can't complain!

Decent mouthfeel too. Kind of refreshing.

Hey say what you will, for the price this ain't bad. Went down good and just enough flavor to make it interesting. Nothing to write your friends about but really not a bad beer by any means.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Yuengling is my favorite Marco brewed larger so far. I've had in both in the bottle and poured into glasses. It only produces a small head when poured. The appearance is light in color, and it has a good mouthfeel and taste. This is the beer you will see me drink most often. A winner in my book.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

When you are looking for simply a classic lager. This is it. This is a solid "go to" beer when at a restaurant that doesn't sell any decent crafts. Yuengling will always have a place in my heart as an enjoyable cheap beer.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

In honor of this review, I poured my yuengling into a pint glass, because I always drink it from the bottle. Color is nice, nothing special, smell is kinda fruity and malty, tastes...like the same beer I pick up at walmart probably once or twice a week. Sorry, since this is a serious review I should make an effort to go into more detail.

The taste is primarily sour, with malts in the backround, with a slightly sweet fruity aftertaste, and a very nice dry carbonation laced bite throughout every sip. Very carbonated, very satisfying burps. In short, the flavor characteristics of a lot of macro american lagers, only everything is amplified. More sour, more malt, more color, and you can't beat the price.

I'm too poor to afford cheap micros and imports as everyday beers, so this is my everyday beer. Really, if I were a richer man, I'd probably still be drinking Yuengling, for BBQ's, lawn mowing, fishing, or just watching movies with friends, it's perfect for all those.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better.

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For such a popular beer I just don't get it. I do normally drink craft but it's just not all that good. The most interesting thing is that I get bloated before I even close to feeling the effects of the alcohol with this beer.

The beer looks better than it smells, feels, or tastes.

1.19/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Yuengling has a nice appearance. In terms of color it's on the light amber side, with quite a bit of carbonation, and with medium head. I've never been impressed with the smell of this beer. The alcohol seems to overpower the other scents and doesn't have anything that really stands out to me.

The flavor takes a moment to fully register. When the liquid impacts the taste buds, the wheat in it slowly becomes noticeable and makes for a nice aftertaste. It's a shame that this is not more potent in the smell of the beer. If drank too quickly, the aftertaste seems to get lost in the shuffle and is not fully apparent. There's a bit too much carbonation in this to swish it around, as it thickens up a bit too quickly for me when trying to get an accurate taste.

Overall, it's a nice beer for the price. If I'm at a bar with a limited selection, I'll usually go for a Yuengling as it's a solid beer that seems to taste well no matter where I have it.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle of this into a pilsener glass. I've been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Living in MN, I had to specially order this online to get it to me. So far, worth the price.

A: 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, very feint lacing.

S: Very feint smell of caramel-sweet hops. A wheat smell with a touch of sugar. I'm sure it would have been stronger if this was on tap.

T: Just a light touch of hops, which is good for me. Slightly sweet and a hint of caramel.

M/D: Very clean, crisp, drinkable.

O: Amazing. There isn't anything that truly sets it apart, but there is not a single thing about this beer that is bad. It is an easy, simple, drinkable beer, which is sometimes a great thing. The most versatile beer in the world, I could drink this anytime, anywhere.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Had high hopes for this beer. WAY too carbonated for a lager, I feel like this may have overwhelmed the taste. I have heard drinking it in the can is a better choice for taste, but I can't get over how carbonated it was for a larger. It felt like a bullshit domestic at times.

I'm an adult, I do not feel like I should be drinking this beer. I had high hopes, I had many people recommend this beer, I feel like it is hyped due to rarity and the history of the brewery.

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

If your palate has not been manipulated at this point, then this standard lager is pretty much as good as it gets in the Macro world. Drinks must better than most American lagers.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Yuengling is probably the beer I drink the most. It's not the best brew out there, but compared to the lionshare of its ilk (the American macro lager), it stands head and shoulders above them, and usually a bit less expensive to boot (currently $7.99 for a 12-pack).

For home, I'll pick up a 12-pack, but when I'm out, I'll generally go with the draft pitcher (there's nothing quite like it). Yuengling has a nice amber color to it, not too deep, but definitely not the straw yellow that some other beers have. There's a decent white head, and that leaves prominent lacing around the pitcher/glass as you finish it off. The taste is good and substantial. It might not be the best beer out there, but this isn't your general corn swill either. Nice and malty with some hops in the finish, this one isn't particularly heavy, but it's definitely not watered-down either. The mouthfeel is rather smooth, with some nice bubbly carbonation that DOESN'T remind you of soda.

Basically, you could do far, far worse than Yuengling. It's not the best beer out there, but for $5.50 a pitcher at Wings and Ale, it's a far cry better than the other brews on tap. After a long day at work, it tastes a whole lot better too...

3.2/5  rDev -5%

It's a lager, I can't fancy it up too much.

A: 12oz bottle. Nice amber color with very little head.

S: Mildly sweet with some underlying hops.

T: Mildly sweet like it smells, with a nice little clean hop bitterness in the finish.

M: On the light side of medium. Just heavy enough to remind you that you're drinking beer.

D: You will wonder where it has all gone off to.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I grew up in PA and this is the beer of choice at the pub, especially when bud and coors are next to it on the tap. It has a nice color in the glass with a thin layer of foam (i hate when they don't leave enough to capture the aroma). It has a nice carbonated feel in the mouth with the taste of mostly hops with a little hops.

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, this has a 2 finger head that is both creamy and beige. The Carbonation sticks lightly to the sides of the glass which is filled with a bright amber body.

The smell is of bread and yeast, hops and malt, nothing really special, but has a very sweet aroma that is inviting. The smell is somewhat burnt, but not overpowering.

As you gulp down this traditional American Amber, the sweet lager flavor hits you first as the bready feeling crosses your palate. The malts and hops are almost equal in flavor, most sips leaning more towards the malt and sweet taste of the beer.

This beer bites sharply on the tip of your tongue and the lips, but it isn't any reason to dislike it. I enjoy the carbonation that hits you. The nice alcohol feeling that hits you is also very inviting, surprising for such a low ABV beer. However, 12 of these are easy enough to drink and have a good time.

4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

Yuengling is a beer for all seasons. Robust enough for the cold months, and refreshing enough for the heatwaves. Beautiful crispness and bite with each swig, and a nice amber color to complement a beautiful pour. But forget that man, this is enjoyed right from the bottle. When its ice cold it is delicious and dangerously drinkable. As it warms you get more of the hop bite which is pretty cool. Definitely a beer you can drink 12 of or enjoy with a meal. Yuengling is a terrific beer, in my opinion a perfect beer. I could drink this year round. Living in the northeast, the scarcity and mystique of it only adds to its legend. My favorite beer.

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%

First review here, figured I'd review my favorite all-around. First use of the ASTMO whatever thingy, so be gentle.

This is a solid beer I can order whether I wanted 1, 2, or 6+. I don't get sick of it. Its a lighter abv beer with a better and fuller taste to me than a bunch of macrobrews. That makes me really appreciative of this beer being available (cheaply too) all around me in Pennsylvania (and other East Coast states+Ohio/Florida)

A: Amber color, classic skinny bottle that stands out.
S: Smells like teen spirit
T: Better than your mass-produced macrobrew, has hint of malt/hops but when compared to heavier beers, its negligible.
M: Leaves mouth feeling crisp yet left behind definite marker of unique Yuengling taste. To me, stands out amongst its competitors. It is a different "crisp" from the Coors "Lite-type of crisp"
O: Overall, I love it. I'm biased as this is my parents favorite drink and I feel like I subsequently inherited in college and after moving to Philadelphia. It retains a unique taste of care and quality despite prices on par/below local breweries. That and I had the opportunity to meet Dick Yuengling, hes friggin' awesome.

4.37/5  rDev +29.7%

Yuengling lager is without a doubt my personal favorite domestic beer. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all beer, but when it comes to domestics I'll pick a cold yuengling lager over Budweiser, coors, etc. any day. Keep in mind, my rating and review on this is based off of local domestics, not all beers in general.

It's got a very robust taste, no bad after taste at all. Foams nicely when poured in a glass. Goes down smooth every time. All in all a terrific beer, especially for the price. I'd recommend this beer to anyone.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%

Experience must count for something, because "America's Oldest Brewery" could definitely teach the big three a few things about making a quality lager. It's darker than most, almost an amber. It's richer and fuller as well. Definitely a lager, but I don't think its as crisp as some...its just really smooth. I've had it each of the past four weeks for tailgating...great session brew.

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

A friend who drinks only Busch was recently in Pa. and bought me a case. So what do I do with the other 23 bottles?
Appearence-Kind of a clear yellow color. Very little head. Gives new meaning to the song "Tiny Bubbles".

Smell-Not much.

Taste-Not alot of flavor. Almost like a light beer . Nothing stood out. I am going to have another and see if I change my rating. Just had a second one with supper. Could not finish it.

Mouthfeel-I did feel it.

Drinkability-Its drinkable but so is water. Another hot summer day beer served very cold with a Salami sandwich and a White Owl cigar. That might work.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

(bottle - 12 oz) Pours a deep golden brown with very few bubbles and not a lot of head. Looks like a beer and not apple juice like many other lagers. Very faint malty aroma with an even fainter hint of fruit. Smooth tasting with little aftertaste. Not very bitter, definitely tastes like a beer. Nice smooth finish. On the whole, one of the best beers I've ever had. Not too overpowering in taste, aroma or carbonation. Makes for smooth drinking. Doubly good for coming out of a green bottle. Most other green bottled beers are very iffy, but not this one.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Yuengling pours a beautiful caramel color. It's aroma has a nice hop bitterness to it and balanced by a nice sweet malt. The taste is well balanced between malt and hop and has a nice crisp finish. Its goes down easy and is very easy to drink.

I remember the first time I had a Yuengling and I can never refuse one ever since. It has a good amalgam of everything you want in a beer.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

I poured from a bottle into a small cone shaped glass. The head was about a finger and faded fast. I held the glass up to the light to reveal a nice clear amber color to the beer. The aroma had a nice caramel malt smell with little to no hint of hops. Taste was smooth with the malt being the main feature, nice caramel quality fading to some of the yeasty/bready character. Mouth feel is full with the generous but not overly done carbonation. I've had a few mass produced lagers like Budweiser and Michelob, and This beer tops even the Michelob. It's not exactly a craft beer nor an uber mass produced one like Budweiser.... It's just a good solid lager

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery