Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 1,678 | Ratings: 6,292
2.63/5  rDev -22%

Born, raised, and currently residing in Massachusetts, this beer only first came onto my radar in college when everybody I met from PA, NY, and NJ lamented, ad nauseam, about the lack of Yuengling in the Boston market. I remember trying one sometime around 4 or so years ago, but not finding anything remarkable about it. A friend of mine from upstate NY was visiting home for the weekend so I asked her to pick some up for me so I could contribute substantively to the MANY conversations that people continue to have about this beer.

Green 12 ounce bottle. Has a macro-brew beer smell - that crisp straw dry lager scent that's unmistakable. Flavor is dry, crisp, and light on the palate with relatively heavy carbonation. Leaves that macro-lager corn "blech" taste in the back of your tongue/throat after swallowing and breathing in.

Apparently my fuzzy recollection was more accurate than I first assumed, because this is a rather unremarkable beer. Not even matching up to the likes of Sam Adams Boston Lager (a beer I'm not even a huge fan of), I'd put Yuengling right on the level of Narragansett, Schlitz, and probably would most closely associate it with Brubaker (another PA brew).

That being said, I can't really understand why people get all horny over this beer. It's certainly not a bad choice for Getting Drunk, but for the price, I believe it's no better or worse than the immediate competition. If it were available in Boston bars in 16 oz. bottles for the same price as Brubaker ($2-2.50), I'd probably have already thrown more than a few back by now (how much does a pint go for out in PA/NJ, anyway?). As a 12-pack selection however, this one just doesn't wet my whistle. I'd rather pay slightly less and go for the PBR, or pay slightly more and actually enjoy the flavor of my beer.

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%

Had never ever heard of this beer. But was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My wife and I went to dinner at a local restuarant on the beach and they had this stuff on tap. I was curious--wife got the usual and I tried one of these beers. Could not believe it! May have been the most flavorful beer I have ever had. I am lobbying the Indiana State alcohol board to allow this beer to come into Indiana. Hopefully it happen.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

A: a clean clear light amber - almost burnt orange color. Thin off-white sudsy head that fades with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet malt nose with no discernible hop aroma.

T: A sweet toasted malt taste. Slightly metallic with just a hint of bitterness to round out the sweetness.

MF: Lighter bodied but a bit more character than a lighter lager. Sufficient carbonation keeps the extra character from weighing this brew down.

D: A very drinkable lager with character. A welcome addition to any bar or social gathering - particularly in the sea of light American lagers.

I was amazed to see this in my fridge. My roommate is in the National Guard and found this at the duty free shop. I had thought it impossible to find in MA.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

For an PA. beer I guess this ones ok.

A- an ok amber color with a think white head that dissaptes quickly

S- Clean aroma, hops and grain

T- MMM... malty sweet, a slight hop bitterness a tad citrus

M- medium bodied and crisp

D- This a good beer with modrate drinkablity, if I go to a bar and Yuengling is the only thing on tap I order it. Great brew anytime.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

My favorite of its tier of beers. Very easy to drink, not too light, not too dark. Goes well with meals. It's a beer that's very cheap, but I'm still hesistant whenever I'm forced to chug it. America's oldest brewery knows what they're doing.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: A nice light brown color, with a solid head.

Taste: Very slight taste; notes of light maltiness and sweetness... that's pretty much it. But, it's low key nature is actually an asset because it can be pared with anything, anytime, and it's hard to get sick of it.

Mouthfeel is pretty average, as is the smell... I can't think of anything distinctive about these characteristics.

Bottomline: I've virtually always had it on tap from pitchers, and its been pretty constant. If you want a dirt-cheap beer that's not offensive, get this. It's oh-so drinkable; the quintessence of what a session beer should be when you're hitting the bars (or playing quizzo in Phillie)

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

A- brown, or perhaps the darkest yellow ever. A frothy head disipates into pond scum with large bacterial circles floating on top of my beer.

S- rich and lagery. Small hop backbone.

T- sweetness from the malt, a little hops in the background. Pleasant bit not memorable.

M- light and bubbly

D- holy hell yea

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this both in bottle and on tap. On tap seems to be my favorite. Nice cold mug. This is not an overbearing tasting beer and can drink alot of it on tap without the full feeling most beers can give. Not very foamy. Better on tap then the bottle if your going to drink several.

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Friends from PA brought this in for GOTV. Hey why not?

Poured into my cup. Decent color here. Thought this would be a typical regional flavorless lager. Maybe I am going to be wrong.

Aroma? Not a whole lot of hops. But some. Kind of a skunky thing going on. Green bottle?

Taste...good! Seriously, not bad. I guess it was a $8.99 12 pack. Can't complain!

Decent mouthfeel too. Kind of refreshing.

Hey say what you will, for the price this ain't bad. Went down good and just enough flavor to make it interesting. Nothing to write your friends about but really not a bad beer by any means.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Yuengling is my favorite Marco brewed larger so far. I've had in both in the bottle and poured into glasses. It only produces a small head when poured. The appearance is light in color, and it has a good mouthfeel and taste. This is the beer you will see me drink most often. A winner in my book.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

A good American beer that is easy to drink. Tastes of grain, malt, and bit of hops. My typical goto at a standard bar and something that I could drink plenty of because of how light it is.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

In honor of this review, I poured my yuengling into a pint glass, because I always drink it from the bottle. Color is nice, nothing special, smell is kinda fruity and malty, tastes...like the same beer I pick up at walmart probably once or twice a week. Sorry, since this is a serious review I should make an effort to go into more detail.

The taste is primarily sour, with malts in the backround, with a slightly sweet fruity aftertaste, and a very nice dry carbonation laced bite throughout every sip. Very carbonated, very satisfying burps. In short, the flavor characteristics of a lot of macro american lagers, only everything is amplified. More sour, more malt, more color, and you can't beat the price.

I'm too poor to afford cheap micros and imports as everyday beers, so this is my everyday beer. Really, if I were a richer man, I'd probably still be drinking Yuengling, for BBQ's, lawn mowing, fishing, or just watching movies with friends, it's perfect for all those.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Yuengling is a beer ill choose if im out and the other taps are all BMC. Thanks too a market blitz by yuengling in the last 3 years this stuff is everywhere in my area. Highly carbonated, with a golden-amber color, perfectly clear, decent head retention. Thin flavor, almost surprising, given the color, you might expect a little more body from this beer , too bad. Nothing really wrong with yuengling, it could just be better.

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For such a popular beer I just don't get it. I do normally drink craft but it's just not all that good. The most interesting thing is that I get bloated before I even close to feeling the effects of the alcohol with this beer.

The beer looks better than it smells, feels, or tastes.

1.19/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The color of this beer is so deceiving, since it's an amber color, you would think that this beer will not be watery, but it is watery, so I assume, and there are rumors that this brewery is using lots of caramel color or FD&C red #40 artificial food coloring to deceive their customers into thinking that they're drinking a richer or fuller tasting beer, which doesn't taste better than other beers that are even lower priced than Yuengling TL. The taste of this beer, well, how should I put it, if you drink Samuel Adams Boston lager and then pee it out, then your piss will probably taste like Yuengling Traditional Lager, but, oh well, to each his own.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Yuengling has a nice appearance. In terms of color it's on the light amber side, with quite a bit of carbonation, and with medium head. I've never been impressed with the smell of this beer. The alcohol seems to overpower the other scents and doesn't have anything that really stands out to me.

The flavor takes a moment to fully register. When the liquid impacts the taste buds, the wheat in it slowly becomes noticeable and makes for a nice aftertaste. It's a shame that this is not more potent in the smell of the beer. If drank too quickly, the aftertaste seems to get lost in the shuffle and is not fully apparent. There's a bit too much carbonation in this to swish it around, as it thickens up a bit too quickly for me when trying to get an accurate taste.

Overall, it's a nice beer for the price. If I'm at a bar with a limited selection, I'll usually go for a Yuengling as it's a solid beer that seems to taste well no matter where I have it.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bottle of this into a pilsener glass. I've been looking forward to this beer for a long time. Living in MN, I had to specially order this online to get it to me. So far, worth the price.

A: 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, very feint lacing.

S: Very feint smell of caramel-sweet hops. A wheat smell with a touch of sugar. I'm sure it would have been stronger if this was on tap.

T: Just a light touch of hops, which is good for me. Slightly sweet and a hint of caramel.

M/D: Very clean, crisp, drinkable.

O: Amazing. There isn't anything that truly sets it apart, but there is not a single thing about this beer that is bad. It is an easy, simple, drinkable beer, which is sometimes a great thing. The most versatile beer in the world, I could drink this anytime, anywhere.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Had high hopes for this beer. WAY too carbonated for a lager, I feel like this may have overwhelmed the taste. I have heard drinking it in the can is a better choice for taste, but I can't get over how carbonated it was for a larger. It felt like a bullshit domestic at times.

I'm an adult, I do not feel like I should be drinking this beer. I had high hopes, I had many people recommend this beer, I feel like it is hyped due to rarity and the history of the brewery.

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

If your palate has not been manipulated at this point, then this standard lager is pretty much as good as it gets in the Macro world. Drinks must better than most American lagers.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Yuengling is probably the beer I drink the most. It's not the best brew out there, but compared to the lionshare of its ilk (the American macro lager), it stands head and shoulders above them, and usually a bit less expensive to boot (currently $7.99 for a 12-pack).

For home, I'll pick up a 12-pack, but when I'm out, I'll generally go with the draft pitcher (there's nothing quite like it). Yuengling has a nice amber color to it, not too deep, but definitely not the straw yellow that some other beers have. There's a decent white head, and that leaves prominent lacing around the pitcher/glass as you finish it off. The taste is good and substantial. It might not be the best beer out there, but this isn't your general corn swill either. Nice and malty with some hops in the finish, this one isn't particularly heavy, but it's definitely not watered-down either. The mouthfeel is rather smooth, with some nice bubbly carbonation that DOESN'T remind you of soda.

Basically, you could do far, far worse than Yuengling. It's not the best beer out there, but for $5.50 a pitcher at Wings and Ale, it's a far cry better than the other brews on tap. After a long day at work, it tastes a whole lot better too...

3.2/5  rDev -5%

It's a lager, I can't fancy it up too much.

A: 12oz bottle. Nice amber color with very little head.

S: Mildly sweet with some underlying hops.

T: Mildly sweet like it smells, with a nice little clean hop bitterness in the finish.

M: On the light side of medium. Just heavy enough to remind you that you're drinking beer.

D: You will wonder where it has all gone off to.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I grew up in PA and this is the beer of choice at the pub, especially when bud and coors are next to it on the tap. It has a nice color in the glass with a thin layer of foam (i hate when they don't leave enough to capture the aroma). It has a nice carbonated feel in the mouth with the taste of mostly hops with a little hops.

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, this has a 2 finger head that is both creamy and beige. The Carbonation sticks lightly to the sides of the glass which is filled with a bright amber body.

The smell is of bread and yeast, hops and malt, nothing really special, but has a very sweet aroma that is inviting. The smell is somewhat burnt, but not overpowering.

As you gulp down this traditional American Amber, the sweet lager flavor hits you first as the bready feeling crosses your palate. The malts and hops are almost equal in flavor, most sips leaning more towards the malt and sweet taste of the beer.

This beer bites sharply on the tip of your tongue and the lips, but it isn't any reason to dislike it. I enjoy the carbonation that hits you. The nice alcohol feeling that hits you is also very inviting, surprising for such a low ABV beer. However, 12 of these are easy enough to drink and have a good time.

4.85/5  rDev +43.9%

Yuengling is a beer for all seasons. Robust enough for the cold months, and refreshing enough for the heatwaves. Beautiful crispness and bite with each swig, and a nice amber color to complement a beautiful pour. But forget that man, this is enjoyed right from the bottle. When its ice cold it is delicious and dangerously drinkable. As it warms you get more of the hop bite which is pretty cool. Definitely a beer you can drink 12 of or enjoy with a meal. Yuengling is a terrific beer, in my opinion a perfect beer. I could drink this year round. Living in the northeast, the scarcity and mystique of it only adds to its legend. My favorite beer.

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%

First review here, figured I'd review my favorite all-around. First use of the ASTMO whatever thingy, so be gentle.

This is a solid beer I can order whether I wanted 1, 2, or 6+. I don't get sick of it. Its a lighter abv beer with a better and fuller taste to me than a bunch of macrobrews. That makes me really appreciative of this beer being available (cheaply too) all around me in Pennsylvania (and other East Coast states+Ohio/Florida)

A: Amber color, classic skinny bottle that stands out.
S: Smells like teen spirit
T: Better than your mass-produced macrobrew, has hint of malt/hops but when compared to heavier beers, its negligible.
M: Leaves mouth feeling crisp yet left behind definite marker of unique Yuengling taste. To me, stands out amongst its competitors. It is a different "crisp" from the Coors "Lite-type of crisp"
O: Overall, I love it. I'm biased as this is my parents favorite drink and I feel like I subsequently inherited in college and after moving to Philadelphia. It retains a unique taste of care and quality despite prices on par/below local breweries. That and I had the opportunity to meet Dick Yuengling, hes friggin' awesome.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery