Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Ratings: 6,431 |  Reviews: 1,712
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Dark gold color, very clear. Good starting head, but it leaves no lace and settles into a single layer of bubbles.

Pleasant soft hop to the nose. The malt is a little grainy and faint.

A thin beer, and perhaps a very good session beer. It has a lot of the qualities of macro with a little more flavoring. The hop is less pronounced on the tongue. Easy to drink and perhaps very nice after a long hot day.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

A beer that I have had many times. At bars that only carry BMC this is usually my go to beer.

A: Pours a rather deep amber color with a small white head. The head fades very quickly and leaves behind very little lacing.

S: Light caramel aromas, a pilsner smell, and a little bit of fruit. A little bit of hops are detectable.

T: Light malt, mostly caramel, some light fruit, and a little bit of faint citrus. Slight grainy flavor as well.

M: Rather light, but not watery. It has a nice crispness with lively carbonation.

O: You know what you are getting with this beer. It has a purpose and fills it well. It is an inexpensive session beer that is superior to BMC products. Good for a long day, hanging outside at a BBQ or at the beach.

2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Pale orange with a hint of amber. The head is small and isn't overly dense. It doesn't look like it'll last long at all (it doesn't) and I'll be surprised if I see much lace (I wasn't surprised).

The aroma has that sharp, pungent smell that reminds me of some macro lagers. It must be either the hops or a wee bit of skunk. In any case, the nose isn't pleasant to my nose at all. The flavor is a small cut above the lagers from BMC. Slightly sour grain with a little maltiness. This is incredibly one-dimensional beer, with that one dimension collapsing as quickly as the mouthfeel.

I didn't have high hopes for Yuengling Traditional Lager, but I was sort of curious to see what 'America's Oldest Brewery' has to offer. If anyone offers this beer to me in the future, I'll politely decline.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bit on the sweet side with no astringent flavours. Hops are light on the palate and barely round out the brew. A no frills amber lager. It actually does not taste bad as it warms up either. A good beer to grab on a lazy summer afternoon and let your mind go blank.

2.96/5  rDev -12.2%

Ok my last one for now. These macro reviews are killing my tastebuds, well not really giving them a workout would be more accurate ;) Well I guess Yuengling isn't really a macro, but still a light lager so I went ahead and added them into my tasting. Poured a decent amber with a small white head. Lots of visible carbonation and very clear consistency. At least the tone has a decent reddish tint. Smell was full of grains and not really much else, slight hint at a caramel or sugar sweetness but very slight and only as it warmed. The taste was a little musty. Grain, corn, and grass flavors were the big players here, slight amount of caramel trying to come through but never really made it. The feel was very smooth, decent body, not as light as some others. Overall it had a bit more of a flavor profile then some of the others did, but still needs a little work. I could see myself having one at a ball game if it were between this and BMC.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Presentation - a green longneck 12oz with a very traditional looking symbol of the U.S.A: The Bald Eagle.

A - Amber/golden with off white head that leaves minimal lace and trails of many bubbles streaming upward.

S - Slight sweet aroma with a touch of corn pop-like cereal qualities.

M - High carbonation with sweet + oily texture. The finish is light and somewhat watery.

T - A light flavored lager with coloring and adjunct tastes. Slightly latent wheaty flavor. Still has the taste of a pale lager with corn enhancement.

D - I used to drink this particular beer by the pitcher when checking out local bands at basement clubs. Since it was available everywhere it was a good social, shareable brew. Back then It was convenient and I hadn't yet adopted the motto " drink better, drink less" I realised Yuengling Lager gave me headaches even if I had only two or three. I found them to be drinkable when choices are limited, but this was the first taste I have had of a Yuengling product in years.

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

I am nearly at bottle # 400 which will free me up to refocus on what really matters, namely The CANQuest (TM). In the meantime, anything in a bottle will do.

A bit of nostalgia involved in tonight's beer for yours truly. I have been up to the brewery numerous times and I have drank this beer more often than I care to remember, but I simply never bothered to review it out of a bottle.

My pour created a finger of eggshell-white head with low retention, fizzing its way out of existence. Color was a deep coppery-orangish amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like pure, unadulterated lager - slightly sweet with a mild maltiness that was pleasant to take in. Mouthfeel was medium with a lager sweetness on the tongue. It seems pretty unobtrusive to me these days, having been a self-avowed hophead and then getting on The CANQuest (TM) kick, which led to a LOT of AmeriCAN Adjunct Lager consumption. This struck me as a nice, easy-drinking beer that I could easily use to fill a cooler for a picnic or a barbecue. The ABV is reasonable and the taste is not going to put anybody off. The finish was slightly dry and nicely pleasant.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

From 07/28/11 notes. Had on tap at Whitlow's in Arlington, VA. Poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep amber color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. No head retention or lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of wheat, grain, bready malts, and light toasted/caramel malts. Pretty average and nothing really jumps put at you, though it isn't offensive.

t - Taste follows the nose; grain, bready malts, corn, wheat, and light toasted and caramel malts. Again, more or less average.

m - Rather light to medium body and mdoerate carbonation. The slightest touch of overcarbonation, but not too bad.

o - Overall a pretty average beer; not bad, but nothing really stands out in it. I'd much rather drink one of these than most BMC beers, but it's nothing special. Have had it many times and I'm sure I will again; a good alternative to BMC beers at most bars on the East Coast.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a chilled mug.

Pours a light, mostly clear amber straw with about a finger of goldenrod-white head that produces some average lacing. The nose contains some grapefruit, some orange peel, and a little bit of subtle pine. The taste is primarily a bland maltiness with a steady kick of bitterness and a sort of light wheaty quality behind it all. The body is on the high end of the light spectrum, has a kind of watery quality, punctuated by a healthy dose of carbonation, producing a pretty drinkable, if not altogether favorable brew.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

The beer is amber in color and appears clear. The head is an inch thick and leaves a nice sheet of lacing on the glass - noticeably different than the draft version I reviewed. The aroma is sweet malts and typical American lager scents. The beer tastes simple and plain with a slight sweetness that grows as the beer warms. This is a decent offering and sometimes the best beer available, as is the case tonight.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

So I'm in a restaurant in Western PA and my choices are Bud Miller Coors or Yuengling. My decision made itself. Pours a deepreddish amber color with a thinnish white head. Surprisingly dark color for a macro. Earthy grainy aroma with hints of corn and skunk. Slight earthy hop aroma was a surprise. Taste is earthy with hops grainy with malts and slighly corny. Medium to high level of carbonation, light body with a thin watery mouthfeel. Better than the macros but nothing special on its own.

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%

Its a solid American Red Lager....nothing fancy....nothing bad. The color is a clear amber with thin white head that has some lace. The nose is nothing to write home about....smell like a plain American Amber ale. The taste is very solid a very drinkable beer. There is grain and malt that can be found on the pallete. The mouthfeel is easy and could session all day long.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%