Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Yuengling Traditional Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Ratings: 6,494 |  Reviews: 1,723
3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

So I'm in a restaurant in Western PA and my choices are Bud Miller Coors or Yuengling. My decision made itself. Pours a deepreddish amber color with a thinnish white head. Surprisingly dark color for a macro. Earthy grainy aroma with hints of corn and skunk. Slight earthy hop aroma was a surprise. Taste is earthy with hops grainy with malts and slighly corny. Medium to high level of carbonation, light body with a thin watery mouthfeel. Better than the macros but nothing special on its own.

2.84/5  rDev -16.7%

For longer than I have been leagally able to enjoy beer, people in my town refer to beer as all inclusively consisting of 1 of 2 options: "Lager or Premium" with both referring to Yuengling.

Cult-like brand loyalty and historical reference are the only things this beer has going for it. If I am forced to drink a macro brewed beer...or an adjunct laden lager, I will force this down with a fake smile on my face as to not offend the locals. Brace yourself for the inevitable headache even if you drink just one.

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%

The oldest American continously running brewery, just that alone I think I have to pay my respects. This was the beer that in the Northern Panhandle of WV, still in high school we would cross the border into PA to get our hands on the good stuff. Yuengling Traditional Amber Lager was a beer we all yearned for, considering most days we drank mostly Coors Light and Busch. She pours with an amber brown hue, with heavily carbonated white colored head. The aroma consists pimarily of sweet malt possibly caramel, and there is a weak but present hop like aroma. I would like to the thank the Yuengling family for keeping up a better product than the macros out there and keeping their beers moderately priced. The lighter bodied beer has a rather thin texture, and it does annoy me that most of the time this beer gets way to much credit as being the good stuff. When in reality it is a mediocre beer that is great for getting people away from the fizzy yelllow brews this country mainly has to offer. A relatively sweet, but mostly bitter crisp finish forms a classic taste that I cherish. Yes, I cannot lie I can drink my fair share of it, but it really isn't a beer that I should spend much time on.

3.23/5  rDev -5.3%

Arrived a deep amber, no head, but with obvious carbonation bubbles. Smells rather grainy with only a slight hint of malts. Taste is grainy with mild malt notes; there is only a hint of hops in the finish. This beer is heavily carbonated lending to lighter mouthfeel.

Not a great beer, but better than any BMC mass-produced lager. Easily drinkable and cheap, it's my go to tailgate beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

3.54/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured out of the can into a pint glass.

The strangest thing I ever saw I swear is that this head appears to be pink briefly after pouring and sitting on the amber body. It is however and off white head of about three fingers once things calm down. Body is a very odd amber orange and sort of gold/brown, real hard to describe. There are large soda like bubbles that come out from the bottom for carbonation and the drink leaves no lacing at all.

Bouquet is strangely like mild supermarket grape flesh, but nothing else I can detect. There's nothing going on here.

Upon tasting the most obvious thing is how incredibly wet and watery this is for mouthfeel. Kind of disappointing here, but luckily for taste there's some faint bread but not much else.

This is pretty easy beer for drinking you could do a lot worse, but the wetness of it real doesn't sit well with me. At least this is drinkable I will give it that.

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

2.35/5  rDev -31.1%

gave this one a try three evenings in a row on my train ride home.

Cabbadgy nose, light amber in color. Minimal malt, minimal hops, watery. Prickly on the tongue in the finish. Not much to offer here. I'd put this a notch above the Macros, but not up to the level of the comparable brew in the Saranac line.

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My go to cheap beer and easy drinking beer. You can find at basically any bar around here, I'm often shocked when it's not.

Pours a light amber color, with no lacing and only a little bit of head.

Doesn't smell like a whole lot, some sweet grain, but pretty weak here.

The taste is simple and non-complex, but satisfying enough. Some sweet grain, caramel, and slight tea-like hop flavors. A very decidedly un-hoppy beer.

Light bodied, slightly oil, starts sweet and finishes a bit drier.

Nothing at all wrong with this, nothing crazy complex, but drinkable and tasty.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Served on-tap at the Pig Stand in Daytona, FL. I've had this a million times, but never got around to putting it down on paper. Here we go.

Served in a mug, the beer pours a caramel-copper coloring with a thin, big bubbled, white head. Toasted malt and oats in the aroma. The beer has a nutty-toffee-sweet malt taste, with roasted flavors into the aftertaste. The beer is light and creamy in mouth, and it carries the flavor well. The finish is quick to the roasted sweet flavors, but blends out to nothing rapidly. It's an easy drinker with strong flavors for the style.

Yuengling Traditional Lager from Yuengling Brewery