Yuengling Black & Tan | Yuengling Brewery

Style: Black & Tan

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-07-2001

Ratings: 2,370 |  Reviews: 700

1.06/5  rDev -67.1%

12 ounce bottle into a 16 oz shaker pint glass. Looks jet black w/very faint aroma. Quickly fading head and no lacing at all. High carbonation and tastes like flat coke. Mouth feel was very watery w/ very strong odd aftertaste. overall not a good beer at all. To be honest this was like drinking stale pop spiked with alcohol. Really disappointing. The fact that it was only $3.99/six-pack should have been a red flag. This is not a good beer in my opinion. A mega fail from the world's oldest brewery.

1.1/5  rDev -65.8%

I tried this beer at the request of a friend. I did not believe I would like it, given the "black and tan" history I am aware of. However - it is very good!! A full and delightful taste with small hints of additional tastes I was not expecting. I believe vanilla was about the most noticeable additional flavor. No, it did not have a vanilla taste that over-powered the beer. It was a subtle, small, taste that enhanced the beer a little. The black label and the brown bottle made this beer distinctive in its look and its taste made it a home run in my rating. Very good!

10/2016 - real bad news - they use GMO corn in their brew. Sorry, I cant go for that, regardless of the reason(s) they give. Corporations say GMO is "not bad". Sure, I believe them, remember how cigarette companies said cigarettes werent bad for us???

6/2017 - still drinking and liking this beer. No, I do not like the GMO crap they brew into this. Bad idea Y. Make good beer, not chemical cocktails. I no longer drink Y's B & T, make it real Y, not w/ chemicals. I drink German brews only. If those are made with chemicals, I will stop beer 100%.

1.12/5  rDev -65.2%

1.23/5  rDev -61.8%

Yeungling, disgustingly overrated by people from Pittsburgh, one of the crappiest macros out there. Anyways, the Black and Tan and Porter seem to be the only two beers by them that are popular in craft circles, we will see how good it is.

Pours with a small head that quickly dissipates and a cocacola colored body. Nothing special.

Smells metallic, with some malts, nothign special.

Taste is a little good, mostly crap. On one hand there is a bit of tasty roasty porter in there, on the other hand there is a nasty vomit like water over-carbonated shit tasting lager, pardon the profanity. I definitely would want to at least try the porter after tasting this but it reaffirms my knowledge that Yuengling lager is horrible beer that should not be praised. Too much off flavor and sourness in this one to give it any recognition.

Just avoid Yuengling brews in general.

1.25/5  rDev -61.2%

1.25/5  rDev -61.2%

1.32/5  rDev -59%

Not black but all tan.
This beer is equivalent to a bud light or Cat piss!

1.42/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

thanks to my homegirl terry who brought me this from a recent trip to PA.

A- pours a clear dark mahogany with orange highlights. sticky khaki colored head holds nicely and leaves some chunky crusty lace. understandably a 50/50 mix of yuengling lager and their easy drinking porter. i don't believe i've ever had a premixed b&t but this one has started off just fine.

S- i can definitely pick up the yuengling original in the nose. adjunct/macro aroma. grass, hay, corn, and a bit of b.o. sadly no roasty cocoa porter aromas.

T- starts slightly tart transitions to something that tastes like my dirty armpits, and finishes metallic. not what i was looking for. a faint hint of smokiness is percieved in the otherwise clean finish.

MF- thin, fizzy, cardboardish.

D- not appealing to me whatsoever. tastes like a f***ed up bud light. regular yuengling and yuengling porter are far better on their own than this frankenstein amalgamation, emphasis on the mal.

...seeing a bladder of a portuguese man-of-war floating near him he said "agua mala, you whore"...

1.43/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I drank this one time and that night my body was sore. I had aches on my muscles, it was the strangest thing. It felt like I worked out and my body was exhausted. That can't be good since I've never gotten that feeling from any other beer. My intuition is that this beer has so much artificial crap inside of it. It would make the fathers of the Reinheitsgebot crawl in their graves. I'm telling you, there's something really bad in this beer. I've never had a beer do that to my body or any drink/food for that matter.

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

Looks nice with the tall off white head and all, Garnett hued clear elixer With descent lacing.
Less than entertaining nose on this at just under room temp. This elixer REEKS of adjunct grain in my opinion, corn for sure in this.
Flavor is weak and watery some malty hop but not near enough.
Mouthfeel is very thin and lame.
UNDRINKABLE!!!

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

Has a stale taste, very filling. Wouldn't recommend.

Yuengling Black & Tan from Yuengling Brewery