Lord Chesterfield Ale | Yuengling Brewery

Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

One of our heritage beers, Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale has as much rich heritage as it does flavor and appeal. Crafted in a unique two-stage European brewing style for enhanced bitterness, it utilizes both conventional kettle hopping and dry hopping after fermentation resulting in a dry sharp finish. Its distinct robust flavor is derived from a delicate combination of sweet maltiness and lingering herbal bitterness.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

View: Beers
Reviews by Cheesemoose:
2.88/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into my standard glass, not much going on besides a good few fingers of head, with a hearty pour, decent lacing. No head retention to speak of. Pale yellow and a white head.

Nothing going on in the nose, a bland malty nose with little to no hop presence. Not inviting what so ever.

The taste is more depressing. Bland breadiness, no hops. For a pale ale I thought there would be more hops, but sadly, all you get is the remnants of whatever process it took to get the hop flavors beaten so far down, all you get is a tinge of flavors, often expressed as an afterthought.

Mild carbonation, mellow, smooth, drinkable, easily slamable. Very much like something you'd expect from the big 3. Depressing. On a side note, I have had this from the brewery and I was much more intrigued at the time, so maybe freshness could play a role, but sadly I have no notes from that time. Might be a foggy memory clouding my judgement.

This is the internet, and it is serious business.

A lot of hate for this beer, but look, it's cheap, and a lot of really pretentious people wanna hate. I get it. It's cool to call out a $9 six-pack on its lack of character. For everybody else, enjoy a mildly hoppy brew from a really great and old brewery.

So by all means, check out other beers.The Lord is solid, won't do you wrong, and it won't hurt you. But it can be your friend, if you look it in the eye, and don't blink. Drink this beer. 10/10 would drink again, often.

3.11/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This ale has been around a long time. It's the brew I used to break in my girlfriend to the taste of more hops than the standard domestics she liked when she chose beer over wine. She graduated and is now the Queen of Hoppy. (Now I'm working to get her off that and onto more complex stuff).

You don't buy Chetty Ale instead of a nice craft Pale Ale, IPA or Belgium. You buy Chetty instead of Budweiser.

4.75/5  rDev +61%

Can't beat this beer for the price, and I think it's the best beer yuengling makes. Golden in color, Decent amount of hoppiness to it for the abv's. Keeps it's head for a good amount of time. Leaves some lacing around the glass as well. Poured in my dogfish head glass to reveal all its hop character, and to maintain a head all the way through while drinking. Very drinkable. Like I said, for the price you can't beat it's flavor and character. Nothing wrong with this beer.

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours pale yellow with a thin, short lived head. Sweet corn adjunct aroma and taste, thin malt, noticeable hop presence with a short finish. Whoever said this is what you buy instead of Budweiser, not instead of a craft ale, was 100% correct. Whoever drank the Yuengling Kool Aid and thinks this is a world-class beer should understand a few things: 1. First of all, it's called an ale because it's made with ale yeast. 2. People aren't down-rating it because of the name. They are down-rating it because of its adjunct flavor and aroma, which is the thing that puts people off of beers like Budweiser and is very much present in this beer. 3. If you think people should judge beer based on how painlessly it can get you drunk, you should probably express your opinions elsewhere and not in a place populated with "beer snobs" (a label that I consider a compliment) who will think you're an idiot. Not the worst beer out there, but the fact that they want $8.29/6-pack in NOLA for this when you can get St. Arnold or Abita for $7.99 is laughable. This is not an underrated beer, unless you don't know any better or are a Yuengling cult member.

4.51/5  rDev +52.9%

Slightly hazy yellow-light amber. Smells of wonderful noble, slightly pungent, floral hops - thinking Saaz or Tettnang. Mouthfeel is smooth, with a moderately dry finish. Overall, the flavor is balanced, leaning toward hoppy. If tasting blind, I would probably guess this to be a Pilsner; reminiscent of the old school "Bushwick"-style beers you might have a snuck a sip of when you were a kid. The only issue I have is that they call this an ale. If you're expecting a modern American pale ale, you might be disappointed - which probably accounts for many of the negative reviews here. Since little specifics are given about the recipe and process, it's a guessing game, but I'm quite sure some lagering techniques were used, perhaps including the use of a lager yeast. Otherwise, it's a great everyday beer that I wouldn't mind stocking my fridge with.

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Occasionally the Bros. get it wrong. That's the case here. Perhaps theirs was overly skunkified due to the green bottles? Dunno. Try it in cans if you can -- or draft. Brewed in the same brewery in Pottstown, PA using the same recipe since 1829, pre-Civil War era iirc. Not that history and "coolness factor" has anything to do with taste? But in this case I'll acquiesce... this is a cool brew, a "taste of history". I'd call this a "bulk tavern ale", and there's nothing wrong with that. I can envision a factory worker wandering into a tavern on a cold night after a long, hard day in 1843 and being served up a Chetty. Easy drinkin' a touch of noticeable hops, has a mild floral note to me, perhaps. Kinda "lager-y" too? I think I heard this being referred to as is a "bastard ale" that uses some lager techniques or lager yeast -- but don't quote. Regardless, a very solid brew and a great bargain. Because $12 exotic brews have their place? But that can get expensive, and sometimes you just want a simple, easy-drinkin' ale. Nothin' fancy. Try to find this in cans.

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Solid beer, great 6 pack option for the price. Saaz-like hoppiness, very old school Euro style. Hopheads and beer snobs move along, this one isn't for you. Won't win any awards, but won a place in my minifridge.

4.7/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I deleted my review on this and rewrite it because I don't know enough about beer terminology and I was trying to sound as though I did. I'm a versatile beer drinker and like lagers, pilsners, IPA's, and porters, and more. At home I want an affordable beer for a standard stock and Lord Chesterfield is it. I love the slightly skunky bite. You can't call this beer worthless swill even if you don't like the taste because the taste is nearly unique and thus full of character. I have never tasted a beer quite like this. It's an unsweet, bitter ale that goes a step further with a delightful skunky character which you will like or not like. But it's all intentional, unique, and in my book, delicious.

4.89/5  rDev +65.8%

CAN you dig it?!? This was my Great White Whale for over four months. I could not find Lord Chet in a CAN anywhere and last night, he appeared as the answer to one of my many varigated prayers. Yay! I CAN guarantee you that my deviation is going to be high as I unapologetically love this beer. Leave Lager to the college kids, this is for the adults in the room. Hands down the best beer to come out of America's Oldest Brewery. Why?

My pour created a little better than a finger's worth of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a deep gold with NE-quality clarity and a definite BUPGOO quality. My colleague Nero reveals that it is made with all Cascade hops and it smells like it. Holy hops, Batman! An opportunity to get my fix without resorting to mainlining DFH? I'm there, man.

I am feeling my jones subside already. Dig it, baby, whoever the hops pusher was that put me onto lupulin in the first place did this cat no favors. Daddy-O, the only reason that I haul my carcass into that classroom every day is so that I CAN make some scratch to feed my habit. Shee-whack, bro, I'm up to five, six CANs a day to get that howling monkey to settle down. Do you know the kind of cabbage that takes to maintain? Hey, these babies on the RIS circuit CAN have that motor oil craze. Me, I'm down with the hops. Poetry and all that jazz.

I'm back. See, that's the acid test and I am not talking about Ken Keasey and that LSD nonsense. I lay on this side of the law now, dig? If I CAN feel better about myself as a lupulin junkie, then so much the better. And the taste? Zounds! I CANnot believe that they achieved this using a lager yeast. It is medium-to-full in the mouth and sizzles on the tongue, reminding me just why I love hops and beer. It's like a sax solo in a crowded classroom of 30+ students all digging the scene on Happy Saxophone Day as I sit at my desk and giggle. Oh yeah, that was today. But I digress ...

Anybody else read "Tristram Shandy"? The life of the story is in the digressions.

The finish was ... Wait! I CANnot be finished! I'm already reaching for another, thanks to its drinkability. Hey, if you want any of this, you are really gonna have to come across heavy in a trade. This is going to be in a solid rotaion with Grolsch (CAN) and Stoudt's Gold (BT). Let's just say it finished real smoooth. Yum!

I almost forgot to mention the beautiful sticky lacing throughout. Now I did.

3.77/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, sought this out for a while. Not available in Wi, I picked his up in Dayton, Oh. Nice old school label. I've liked all the styles Yuengling produces, lets check this out.

Poured into a old english ale style mug. Poured a nice deep gold. Lacing clings. the aroma, well, skunky, like a foriegn brew. Slight metallic, not promising.

Taste, bitter, dry, hops, all in one shot. Slighty metallic, but refreshing. A mild hoppy session ale. This could be the all day ale for this lager man. I like this one! Great for a hot day. Similar to the S.N. pale ale takin down a couple notches. Something about the dryness makes this a real thirst quencher. Consistent to the last drop. No sweetness. Wonder what this is like on tap. Dang, gonna have to make a trip back out east.

All hail Lord Chesterfield.

4.16/5  rDev +41%

Have been enjoying this in a can. Has a tendency to get a little skunky in the green bottles. Crisp ale with a nice hop taste. I can drink these all day. Paid $17.50 for a case. Think about that... $17.50 a case for a beer with some flavor. Only Yuengling brings quality at this price point.

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

A. Slightly cloudy golden, off-white head
S. Slightly "bread-like" yeasty smell
T. More of a Pilsner lager flavor than an ale
M. Well rounded, pleasant if "glassy" aftertaste
O. Suggest you do a blind taste test of this vs. a (cheap) European Pilsner - you may be surprised at the results. Forget the reputation, this is a good beer for an American large producer.

4.34/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For many years, Lord Chesterfield Alex has been a fine, reasonably priced ale that's very drinkable and easy to get along with. It's not too heavy and has a nice bite that elevates it above many other brews

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've just recently come back to this beer to test out Yuengling's offerings beside the ever-present (in PA) lager. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Chet. It's been years since I've tasted it, with many very fine IPAs and ales since then, and my first impression this time around was that this was a really nice estimation of a British-style ale. Admittedly, I like to growler my beer to soften some of the fizz, which I find unnecessary if there's any flavor. And like the Yuengling lager, this ale is much better served with a little less fizz. There's a little mild bitterness (my wife, an IPA fan, had a sip and was pleasantly impressed), but this is not an aggressive brew. I'd characterize it as mellow, and yet there are some nice fruity notes and a little bit of malty back end. I happened also to have a Chet with a cold cut hoagie, and I was really struck by how nicely it went with food, seeming even a little sweeter with the saltiness of the sandwich. Though I know this may not be what those who like strong, heavily hoppy brews are looking for, if you miss British ales, I encourage you to give it a taste. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1.95/5  rDev -33.9%

You know, it's funny, I tried to think that this beer was "pretty good". Now, attempting to not be a lemming, I decided it was at least worth the cost of the can this beer comes in to look at some other reviews. Again, emphasizing that I am really trying not to automatically "mass-moron-icize" myself by following the crowd; I did come to realize some legitimate features of this ale that have since lead me to be able to make a valid assessment of it's character. it's dang near complete pig pee, folks. Here's the worst part: I will drink it again! I am telling you that, for some ungodly reason, I have been attracted to buying this swill since I was at Slippery Rock University in 1993. It's got nothing to do with whether or not it feels good on the palate or it's bouquet (did I just use that term for Chesterfield Ale?). It's all about the fact that I can feel like I'm drinking something that was probably brewed as a mistake and still enjoy it as it hits the back of my esophagus. So, there...

3.19/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.25/5  rDev -57.6%

2.18/5  rDev -26.1%

Clear, bright golden/yellow with a tight, thin, creamy laced head.

Soft sweet tea-like aroma, and very clean.

Smooth, tighly carbonated mouthfeel. Little malt flavour or sweetness. Thin, faint, bready/fruity character, but it gets lost in the overall blandness of this beer. Way too tannic and unpleasant on the palate. Very dry and unexciting entering the finish.

Blah. Next beer ...

2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The label has no other info.

Appearance: It has a light golden amber body with good clarity and some visible carbonation. From the pour I got a light, just off white head of soapy big bubbles. This fades out quickly leaving just a thin lacy ring of foam around the edge of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is light and thin. I can only pick up a slight cereal and mild grain scent.

Taste/Palate: Its light bodied and simple like the aroma it has a thin cereal grain flavor with a very light touch of lemony citrus hops. These hops add a very light bitterness and acidity. Under all this there is a slight light-struck (skunk) presence.

Notes: This is a one and done for me. I am a fan of Yuengling but this was a bit of a let down for me.

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%