Lord Chesterfield Ale | Yuengling Brewery

Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

Reviews by Wegomlegging:
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Solid beer, great 6 pack option for the price. Saaz-like hoppiness, very old school Euro style. Hopheads and beer snobs move along, this one isn't for you. Won't win any awards, but won a place in my minifridge.

This is the internet, and it is serious business.

A lot of hate for this beer, but look, it's cheap, and a lot of really pretentious people wanna hate. I get it. It's cool to call out a $9 six-pack on its lack of character. For everybody else, enjoy a mildly hoppy brew from a really great and old brewery.

So by all means, check out other beers.The Lord is solid, won't do you wrong, and it won't hurt you. But it can be your friend, if you look it in the eye, and don't blink. Drink this beer. 10/10 would drink again, often.

First off, Look, Smell and Feel is a joke. Beer is just a drink that gets you drunk. Taste is all that matters. So called "beer experts" are a joke. Everyone has different tastes and no so called "beer expert" can tell you what is good or bad. "Beer experts" should call themselves "people that like beer and think their opinions matter." Anyways, Lord Chesterfield is great! I created this account because I couldn't believe the low score. Don't listen to all these beer snobs giving it a low score. This beer is cheap and good. Everyone I get to try it says they love it. Give this beer a chance. I believe you will be shocked at the low score as well.

4.75/5  rDev +61%

Can't beat this beer for the price, and I think it's the best beer yuengling makes. Golden in color, Decent amount of hoppiness to it for the abv's. Keeps it's head for a good amount of time. Leaves some lacing around the glass as well. Poured in my dogfish head glass to reveal all its hop character, and to maintain a head all the way through while drinking. Very drinkable. Like I said, for the price you can't beat it's flavor and character. Nothing wrong with this beer.

4.51/5  rDev +52.9%

Slightly hazy yellow-light amber. Smells of wonderful noble, slightly pungent, floral hops - thinking Saaz or Tettnang. Mouthfeel is smooth, with a moderately dry finish. Overall, the flavor is balanced, leaning toward hoppy. If tasting blind, I would probably guess this to be a Pilsner; reminiscent of the old school "Bushwick"-style beers you might have a snuck a sip of when you were a kid. The only issue I have is that they call this an ale. If you're expecting a modern American pale ale, you might be disappointed - which probably accounts for many of the negative reviews here. Since little specifics are given about the recipe and process, it's a guessing game, but I'm quite sure some lagering techniques were used, perhaps including the use of a lager yeast. Otherwise, it's a great everyday beer that I wouldn't mind stocking my fridge with.

3.11/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This ale has been around a long time. It's the brew I used to break in my girlfriend to the taste of more hops than the standard domestics she liked when she chose beer over wine. She graduated and is now the Queen of Hoppy. (Now I'm working to get her off that and onto more complex stuff).

You don't buy Chetty Ale instead of a nice craft Pale Ale, IPA or Belgium. You buy Chetty instead of Budweiser.

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Occasionally the Bros. get it wrong. That's the case here. Perhaps theirs was overly skunkified due to the green bottles? Dunno. Try it in cans if you can -- or draft. Brewed in the same brewery in Pottstown, PA using the same recipe since 1829, pre-Civil War era iirc. Not that history and "coolness factor" has anything to do with taste? But in this case I'll acquiesce... this is a cool brew, a "taste of history". I'd call this a "bulk tavern ale", and there's nothing wrong with that. I can envision a factory worker wandering into a tavern on a cold night after a long, hard day in 1843 and being served up a Chetty. Easy drinkin' a touch of noticeable hops, has a mild floral note to me, perhaps. Kinda "lager-y" too? I think I heard this being referred to as is a "bastard ale" that uses some lager techniques or lager yeast -- but don't quote. Regardless, a very solid brew and a great bargain. Because $12 exotic brews have their place? But that can get expensive, and sometimes you just want a simple, easy-drinkin' ale. Nothin' fancy. Try to find this in cans.

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours pale yellow with a thin, short lived head. Sweet corn adjunct aroma and taste, thin malt, noticeable hop presence with a short finish. Whoever said this is what you buy instead of Budweiser, not instead of a craft ale, was 100% correct. Whoever drank the Yuengling Kool Aid and thinks this is a world-class beer should understand a few things: 1. First of all, it's called an ale because it's made with ale yeast. 2. People aren't down-rating it because of the name. They are down-rating it because of its adjunct flavor and aroma, which is the thing that puts people off of beers like Budweiser and is very much present in this beer. 3. If you think people should judge beer based on how painlessly it can get you drunk, you should probably express your opinions elsewhere and not in a place populated with "beer snobs" (a label that I consider a compliment) who will think you're an idiot. Not the worst beer out there, but the fact that they want $8.29/6-pack in NOLA for this when you can get St. Arnold or Abita for $7.99 is laughable. This is not an underrated beer, unless you don't know any better or are a Yuengling cult member.

4.7/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent beer. Snobs pan it because they are obsessed with only how strong the hops is. I don't like overbearing whiskey taste of a strong IPA. This ale is delightful because it DOES have a nice hop bite to it, but it does not totally dominate the taste. The beer is very crisp and with an edge, but even light at the same time. I love the way it looks in the bottle. I wouldn't get the can, actually, I might even suspect this beer does not do as well in the can. Get the bottle. This beer has a light non-feel to it, very light. It's just that little hop bite and the refreshing clean back drop. Whether this beer is the product of great striving for perfection, or a serendipitous try at an ale for Yuengling, they hit the ball out of the park on this one.

3.77/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, sought this out for a while. Not available in Wi, I picked his up in Dayton, Oh. Nice old school label. I've liked all the styles Yuengling produces, lets check this out.

Poured into a old english ale style mug. Poured a nice deep gold. Lacing clings. the aroma, well, skunky, like a foriegn brew. Slight metallic, not promising.

Taste, bitter, dry, hops, all in one shot. Slighty metallic, but refreshing. A mild hoppy session ale. This could be the all day ale for this lager man. I like this one! Great for a hot day. Similar to the S.N. pale ale takin down a couple notches. Something about the dryness makes this a real thirst quencher. Consistent to the last drop. No sweetness. Wonder what this is like on tap. Dang, gonna have to make a trip back out east.

All hail Lord Chesterfield.

4.16/5  rDev +41%

Have been enjoying this in a can. Has a tendency to get a little skunky in the green bottles. Crisp ale with a nice hop taste. I can drink these all day. Paid $17.50 for a case. Think about that... $17.50 a case for a beer with some flavor. Only Yuengling brings quality at this price point.

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

A. Slightly cloudy golden, off-white head
S. Slightly "bread-like" yeasty smell
T. More of a Pilsner lager flavor than an ale
M. Well rounded, pleasant if "glassy" aftertaste
O. Suggest you do a blind taste test of this vs. a (cheap) European Pilsner - you may be surprised at the results. Forget the reputation, this is a good beer for an American large producer.

4.34/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For many years, Lord Chesterfield Alex has been a fine, reasonably priced ale that's very drinkable and easy to get along with. It's not too heavy and has a nice bite that elevates it above many other brews

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've just recently come back to this beer to test out Yuengling's offerings beside the ever-present (in PA) lager. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Chet. It's been years since I've tasted it, with many very fine IPAs and ales since then, and my first impression this time around was that this was a really nice estimation of a British-style ale. Admittedly, I like to growler my beer to soften some of the fizz, which I find unnecessary if there's any flavor. And like the Yuengling lager, this ale is much better served with a little less fizz. There's a little mild bitterness (my wife, an IPA fan, had a sip and was pleasantly impressed), but this is not an aggressive brew. I'd characterize it as mellow, and yet there are some nice fruity notes and a little bit of malty back end. I happened also to have a Chet with a cold cut hoagie, and I was really struck by how nicely it went with food, seeming even a little sweeter with the saltiness of the sandwich. Though I know this may not be what those who like strong, heavily hoppy brews are looking for, if you miss British ales, I encourage you to give it a taste. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1.25/5  rDev -57.6%

2.18/5  rDev -26.1%

Clear, bright golden/yellow with a tight, thin, creamy laced head.

Soft sweet tea-like aroma, and very clean.

Smooth, tighly carbonated mouthfeel. Little malt flavour or sweetness. Thin, faint, bready/fruity character, but it gets lost in the overall blandness of this beer. Way too tannic and unpleasant on the palate. Very dry and unexciting entering the finish.

Blah. Next beer ...

2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The label has no other info.

Appearance: It has a light golden amber body with good clarity and some visible carbonation. From the pour I got a light, just off white head of soapy big bubbles. This fades out quickly leaving just a thin lacy ring of foam around the edge of the glass.

Smell: The aroma is light and thin. I can only pick up a slight cereal and mild grain scent.

Taste/Palate: Its light bodied and simple like the aroma it has a thin cereal grain flavor with a very light touch of lemony citrus hops. These hops add a very light bitterness and acidity. Under all this there is a slight light-struck (skunk) presence.

Notes: This is a one and done for me. I am a fan of Yuengling but this was a bit of a let down for me.

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%