Lord Chesterfield Ale | Yuengling Brewery

Lord Chesterfield AleLord Chesterfield Ale

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

View: Beers
3.97/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Crystal clear, pale straw to orange color, 1/2 inch white head, good lacing down the glass

S: Straw, grass,

T: Sweet malts, cracker, bread, hop bitterness comes in middle of taste, finishes with lingering sweetness

M: Medium to light

O: Not a bad beer from a great brewery. Their amber lager is my go to for superior taste, availability and price and this beer has many of the same attributes. A different taste than the amber lager but still packed with flavor. Definitely has a place in my rotation if I see it again.

3.9/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've just recently come back to this beer to test out Yuengling's offerings beside the ever-present (in PA) lager. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by Chet. It's been years since I've tasted it, with many very fine IPAs and ales since then, and my first impression this time around was that this was a really nice estimation of a British-style ale. Admittedly, I like to growler my beer to soften some of the fizz, which I find unnecessary if there's any flavor. And like the Yuengling lager, this ale is much better served with a little less fizz. There's a little mild bitterness (my wife, an IPA fan, had a sip and was pleasantly impressed), but this is not an aggressive brew. I'd characterize it as mellow, and yet there are some nice fruity notes and a little bit of malty back end. I happened also to have a Chet with a cold cut hoagie, and I was really struck by how nicely it went with food, seeming even a little sweeter with the saltiness of the sandwich. Though I know this may not be what those who like strong, heavily hoppy brews are looking for, if you miss British ales, I encourage you to give it a taste. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured cloudy with minimal head. Smelled skunky but I gave it a chance. Hard to drink. I did not realize this was a Yuengling product till after the beer was poured.

3.82/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.18/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer is just awful. I couldn't drink it at 18 and at 51 its still the same. The beer has no character whatsoever. Its bland, tasteless, and weak. This beer has no redeeming qualities, except that its cheap, but I would rather drink any other beer then this.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Disappointed in this beer. I am a big fan of Yuengling beer, however, this beer is not on their good list. No hopps and no body whatsoever. Will not be purchasing it again.

3.4/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.7/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I deleted my review on this and rewrite it because I don't know enough about beer terminology and I was trying to sound as though I did. I'm a versatile beer drinker and like lagers, pilsners, IPA's, and porters, and more. At home I want an affordable beer for a standard stock and Lord Chesterfield is it. I love the slightly skunky bite. You can't call this beer worthless swill even if you don't like the taste because the taste is nearly unique and thus full of character. I have never tasted a beer quite like this. It's an unsweet, bitter ale that goes a step further with a delightful skunky character which you will like or not like. But it's all intentional, unique, and in my book, delicious.

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

3.16/5  rDev +7.1%

3.62/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Solid beer, great 6 pack option for the price. Saaz-like hoppiness, very old school Euro style. Hopheads and beer snobs move along, this one isn't for you. Won't win any awards, but won a place in my minifridge.

4.34/5  rDev +47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

For many years, Lord Chesterfield Alex has been a fine, reasonably priced ale that's very drinkable and easy to get along with. It's not too heavy and has a nice bite that elevates it above many other brews

4.06/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

3.27/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.63/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

4.24/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +41%

Have been enjoying this in a can. Has a tendency to get a little skunky in the green bottles. Crisp ale with a nice hop taste. I can drink these all day. Paid $17.50 for a case. Think about that... $17.50 a case for a beer with some flavor. Only Yuengling brings quality at this price point.

2.6/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.86/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

1.79/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I can tell you, this is a bad beer. I always have decent hopes of a major brewer making a pale ale, and am almost always disappointed. Tastes of a cornfed skunk, lacks hops, lacks body. Props to the salesman that was able to get this crap on the shelf around here.

2.8/5  rDev -5.1%

3.22/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lord Chesterfield Ale from Yuengling Brewery