Golden Pilsner | Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: German Pilsner

Yuengling Golden Pilsner is the newest beer from D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., America’s Oldest Brewery. This highly sessionable beer is our interpretation of an outstanding, modern pilsner, born from six generations of brewing expertise. Golden in both name and color, Yuengling Golden Pilsner is the perfect balance of hop and malt character for crisp and smooth thirst quenching refreshment.

Added by superspak on 12-11-2017

View: Beers

I just tried and I absolutely loved it! Just $5 more per 24cans but practically on the next level. This is a European beer. Not the usual salty sweet slosh that is accepted everywhere as the standard for beer.

4.86/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just tried this today and wow was I impressed! After walking past this many times I decided to give it a try. This is BY FAR the BEST Pilsner I have tasted. Yuengling did an amazing job here by providing consumers with an ALL malt brew at an adjunct price. I am usually a big fan of the Tradiitonal Lager but this gives it a run for its money. Before grabbing another bland macro adjunct, take a gamble and try some Golden Pilsner!

4.56/5  rDev +29.5%

Now this was a pleasant surprise. Sometimes, specially on a hot day, you want an easy drinking beer (no hops comming out of your ears) but till has some flavor. Most Mexican beers that are not labeled "light" tick box boxes, as well as Europeans such as Heineken and Stella Artois. Michelob did it for American beers, although at least in my area, increasingly hard to find. Yuengling Traditional lager, although not bad, it had something that prevented me from enjoying a second one. But Yuengling Golden Pilsner is the definite american beer after a summer afternoon of working in your yard.

4.48/5  rDev +27.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into shaker glass. A large, sudsy white head drops slowly with moderate lacing on the glass. Color is light gold with mild streaming carbonation. Aroma of cracker, biscuit, and grassy hops. Mouthfeel is light, smooth, and easy going. Flavor is pleasant mix of cracker, sweet malts, lemon, and grassy hops. A well done addition to the Yuengling lineup.

4.28/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Yuengling Golden Pilsner has a thick, off-white head, a clear, bubbly, gold appearance, and minimal glass lacing. Aroma is of sweet sourdough, yeast, and faint grass. Taste is of those element, and some mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, and Golden Pilsner finishes crisp and refreshing.

RJT

4.14/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The best beer that Yuengling currently makes. And I know what I'm talking about, because until recently I was a sales rep for Bond, the local Yuengling distributor for Baltimore metro. We also sold everything from Keystone to Miller Lite to Flying Dog to Boulevard to Shelton Brothers, our portfolio of brands was huge. We sold every style and price point imaginable. As a result, I have a great deal of knowledge about all things related to the business of beer, and can confidently state that there are few beers out there that can match the quality of this for the price point.

A few facts about this beer:
-All malt, no adjuncts (unlike their flagship Traditional Lager, which is cut with corn)
-Noble Saaz and Hallertau hops from Germany
-Priced like a BMC domestic beer
-Year-round offering (not rotating, despite what its profile says)
-Was introduced to the brewery portfolio by Dick Yuengling's four daughters, who represent the sixth generation of the oldest American owned brewery. The Golden Pilsner is their first offering to highlight this fact ("Six Generations") on the label.

I'm not going to go into the nuances of breaking this beer down, it is what it is: an inexpensive, mass-produced, quality American brew made in the German Pilsner style. It's not out there to light the world on fire. The liquid is tasty and crushable, and the flavor profile puts any other beer selling for $10-12 a 12pk to shame. A home run for Yuengling. I predict it will surpass Black and Tan as their #2 seller (after Lager of course).
Now that I no longer work in the beer business, I am free to speak my mind: Yuengling sucks at marketing. They literally have liquid gold here and they are failing to capitalize on it. Nobody else is selling an all-malt, noble-hopped Pilsner this cheap. This beer smokes the BMC competition. Are there better American-made German Pilsners out there? Absolutely! Duclaw Incognito (another beer I used to sell) is a great example, but a 6pk retails for the same price as a 12pk of YGP. If you're looking for value, look no further.

4.11/5  rDev +16.8%

The craft beer crowd will underrate this one ( Ermahgerd! I detect corn grits!) and compare it to beers costing 50% more, but I think Yuengling hit this one out of the park. Way better than MBC offerings in the same price range. Very quaffable and doesn't taste "Yuengling-y". Maybe they're using a different yeast? Dunno. I actually prefer it to most of the American craft pils I've sampled. Solid addition to Yuengling;s lineup.

EDIT: Since first sampling this a few months ago and writing the above review it has become a staple. This pils is subtle and sublime. It is just a beautifully balanced beer. Some have wanted more flavor but I think that the hops are as they should be -- a seasoning (if you will) not something that takes over but a compliment. I have upped my rating to a "5". I purchase this in cans -- 12-pack for $12.99, basically a buck a beer. That makes Yuengling Golden Pilsner, simply, hands down, bar none, far and a way THE best value beer on the market. Nothing touches it. It's a craft quality brew at a macro brew price point. Thus, it's always in the fridge. This could easily be a true German import -- which it reminds me of, commanding twice the price. This is Yuengling's best brew. It stands alongside Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (for when I want a bit more bite) as an American classic. Silly beer snobs will simply refuse to give it its due -- not expensive enough. I maintain, as a lifelong beer drinker/aficionado most wouldn't know a truly good beer if they tripped over one rating most by price and IBU and have zero appreciation for balance or subtlety. I look forward to finding this on draft.

4.07/5  rDev +15.6%

4.06/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Not as hoppy as a Czech Pils but very drinkable. My favorite Yuengling.

Great pilsner style - refreashing pours great great head

A nice even beer. Not too hoppy and not too sweet. I really enjoyed it. It’s reasonably priced. 6.49 for a six pack around here. It was very smooth and refreshing on a hot summer day after yard work. Really enjoyed it. Cheers.

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Refreshing pils style. Very affordable. I think this is my favorite Yuengling brew.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

This is as close to a German Pilsner as I have experienced from an American Brewery. The Becks from Bud can't even compare. When I drink the Yuengling Golden Pilsner, I actually feel like I'm drinking a German beer, purity law and all. Reminds me of the Edinger Pilsner. If you like German brews and hate the price, try some.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Deeper than your usual color but they call it "Golden," and it is. Head is good but dissipates quickly. I'm giving color points over head retention here.

Aroma is pretty average. Not unexpected for the style because the hops, while Noble German, are not a primary component of the style.

Taste is pleasant and - to be honest - cleaner and more refreshing than I expected considering the ubiquitous use of corn grit across the Yuengling product offerings. Not sweet/corny/syrupy, so kudos for that.
Mouth feel is good, although not creamy or frothy. Decent. And not over carbonated, so I give it credit for that.
All in all, while it doesn't eclipse Porter for "favored beer status" from Yuengling, I think they've done well with this. Four stars.

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've been looking for an "everyday go-to beer" for a while now. Something drinkable, bright and crisp and without the backround cloying sweetness that most all big domestic beers have. This beer pours beautifully into a pilsner glass with an attractive golden yellow hue topped off with a full brightwhite foamy head that lasts. It is nicely carbonated but not overly so and this contributes to the pleasant mouthfeel. Taste is bright and clean with a well balanced earthy bitterness that compliments and completes the overall effect.

I love experiencing the full spectrum of craftbeers as much as anyone, but in a world of craftbeer hobby snobbery I am very happy to find an inexpensive American made beer that I can enjoy everyday. I'll buy it by the case.

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into traditional Pilsner glass. The beer pours a cider hue and fills the glass with the aroma of bread and malts. A notable head quickly disappears. Mouthfeel is full and smooth. The beverage has a well blended taste with good character. There is only a slight malt taste but nothing overwhelms the taste buds. Overall this is a very drinkable beer and strong entry for an American brewed Pilsner.

3.79/5  rDev +7.7%

A good pilsner and another good beer from Yuengling worth a taste

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Crystal clear golden straw color, 1/2 inch white head, not much lacing
S: Bread, slight fruity hoppiness
T: Sweet, bread, I get a little hop bitterness on the end
M: Light to medium
O: This has been my goto this summer. I love the Amber Lager and this is a nice mix up to the ush. Side note: I really loved the summer wheat and I have not seen it this summer so I hope this has not taken its place. Both are great!

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The sparklingly clear rich golden color beer pours out into a Duvel glass with a 1/2” off white head that soon recedes to a cap of foam on the liquid while leaving coating of foam on the sides that also includes some lines, patches and legs of lacing. Sipping creates a couple of arches and lots of small scattered spots of lacing, many of which slide back down to the liquid. By midway through the beer therein a small, thin irregular island on the liquid, a nice ring around the glass and a number of large and small patches on the sides of the glass.

The aromas are all about about the biscuity, crackery malt and the gently floral, grassy and slightly spicy hops.

The flavors include some toasted biscuity, crackery and slightly sweet malt along with some light bitterness from gently spicy, floral and grassy hops

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly smooth with the moderate carbonation. The finish begins as the sweetness and grainy malt flavors begins to fade leaving the slightly bitter earthy hops to fade away in the clean slightly crisp ending.

Overall I found this more enjoyable than I had anticipated. While the aromas/flavors are not intense they are definitely noticeable and the beer is clean, slightly crisp and fairly refreshing. Generally I prefer a Pils with a bit more intensity of flavors and some more crisp dryness in the ending, but I expect to be repeating this beer because it’s simple, enjoyable and well suited for an evening out with friends sharing dinner and conversation.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad beer for the price. Extremely smooth and refreshing for a none craft beer.

Golden Pilsner from Yuengling Brewery