Golden Pilsner | Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States
yuengling.com

Style: German Pilsner

Yuengling Golden Pilsner is the newest beer from D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc., America’s Oldest Brewery. This highly sessionable beer is our interpretation of an outstanding, modern pilsner, born from six generations of brewing expertise. Golden in both name and color, Yuengling Golden Pilsner is the perfect balance of hop and malt character for crisp and smooth thirst quenching refreshment.

Added by superspak on 12-11-2017

View: Beers
1.87/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Probably the worst beer I've tasted, in all honesty it tastes like someone dumped potting soil in lightly carbonated water. Boring bottle, but when poured it has a deep golden color, and not an awful aroma...but drinking it is another matter entirely. I love bitter beer, the more bitter the better, usually! But this is something else entirely, its a decent beer until the aftertaste hits you like a truck, with a very much "earthy" taste, and not in a good way.

2.06/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Looks almost yellow, bottom of SRM index, white foamy viscous head which recedes very fast. Smells like creamed corn, fake maple smell. Taste is not good, almost like cereal grains, water,some hops and sweetness. Feels out of sync with most pilsners I have had. Overall adjunct Pilsners are not really Pilsners in my opinion. Will not have again.

2.52/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

said smooth taste, but was not good will not buy again yuck!!! bought a hole case of bottles drank 4 bottles so far and didn't care for it may be good with food but not by it's self, will go back to Yuengling light lager much better taste

2.55/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Purchased a six pack of bottles for about $6.50. Rated this 2.75 for VALUE, though 2.5 in every other way (look, smell, taste, feel). This just barely tastes like a pilsner, and could use a bit more hop flavor and aroma. I'm surprised by the 3.5 rating on BA because almost every review calls this an average beer, which is what it is. Good value-yes; Good beer-no; Average beer - yes. Finally, just now hitting the shelves where I live in the foothills of NC. This is a lawnmower beer that is coming to our stores just in time for leaf season, Halloween, and the holidays??? If it's on the shelf next June at the same price, I'll buy a six pack before I cut the grass. But unless you live in a state that borders Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico, wait for the hot days to return and drink a more seasonally appropriate beer.

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I don't get it. Didn't Yuengling already brew a pils? After a trip to their website to read the description, "The perfect balance of malt and hop character for smooth thirst quenching refershment" and a note that this beer is made with a combination of Saaz and Hallertau hops (The Saaz hops really got me, I think the world needs more Czech style pilsners), I thought it was worth a try, especailly since, like all of Yuengling's products, its reasonably priced. So I bought a sixpack. Now that I'm halfway through though, I've concluded that I should not have bothered. While this isn't a bad beer, its not nearly as good as the flagship Traditional, and not even as good as I remember the so called "Premium" (which is also a pils btw). Anyway,here are the details:

Appearance is actually very appealing. It really is a nice pale amber/gold with a nice thick head that is fairly stable. No complaints there.

Smell isn't objectionable, its just really faint. It mostly smells of alcohol. I guess there may be a really faint hop and pale malt character in there, but I can't tell for sure whether that's the case or whether its just my imagination. It's that faint. We're talking Dos Equis weak.

Taste is where "Golden Pilsner" really falls short. Its not bad. It's not good either though. Like the smell, its barely there. There is a pleasant if fairly one dimensional vaguely bitter very slightly funky hop character. And the faintest ghost of a slightly sweet pale malts. Like a slightly stronger Dos Equis or a slightly better version of Coors Origional I guess. Not objectionable, but no way would I go out of my way to drink one. Traditional destroys this stuff in the taste department and so do lots of other beers.

Feel: Ok,they're right about the refreshing part. This stuff goes down easy. But I have zero problems with the drinkability of Traditional. Or of Yuengling "Premium" for that matter, and those both taste way better. So again, why bother with this?

Overall, this is not a bad beer. Honestly, if someone else made it, I would have rated it slightly higher. I'm giving this a below average rating because, given who makes this anywhere you can get Yuengling Golden Pils, you're going to be able to get the Traditional Lager, and probably "Premium" as well for that matter, and I can't think of any reason to drink one of these instead of either of those. To be perfectly honest, halfway through my second bottle, I poured it out and cracked open a Sam Adams instead. And I repeated the same thing with my 3rd bottle (except that time I cracked open a Traditional instead). Again, this isn't bad, its just a totally uninspiring product from a brewer that has a whole lineup of stuff that tastes better. Yuengling Light actaully has a lot more going on than Yuengling Golden Pils.

2.67/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Not quite what I was hoping for...

...what I hoped I would experience with this beer is my first, truly likable pils from my perspective. On paper, I should like this style, but I have yet to find someone that brews one that I actually and truly like. This is no different. Great looking in the pilsner glass - good foam, distinct lacing, and then...well, it just wasn't something I was hoping to experience. The smell was very bready and yeasty - and not in a good way. The mouthfeel was very fluid - reminding me of the macro that this essentially represents. The taste, while not bad, was very uninspired, there's just nothing to it.

I like this brewer but I am not a fan of this particular offering...

2.71/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

16 oz can into a Tervis pint glass.
Clear, light copper colored body.
This is hop forward, as expected for style, but the hops are overly earthy and have too much bitterness relative to other flavor aspects. Lacks harmony.
Mouthfeel: Smooth.medium body. Along with appearance, this is the only aspect above average

2.76/5  rDev -21.1%

About what you’d expect, pretty pedestrian beer, hops are light as is appropriate for the style but still have a vegetal / grassy quality, malt is pretty bland

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a grip shaped goblet: color is straw, head is bright white with fine bubbles and presents about 1/2 inch thick, then dissipates to a thin top, minimal lacing.

Smell is corn, sulfur, grainy malt, muddled hops.

Taste is similar with corn, grain, yeast, muddled hops.

Mouthfeel is lighter carbonated than other Yuengling brews, light sweetness and then some drying.

Overall a bit disappointing compared to other newer Yuengling beers.

2.81/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Meh

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Not good. Nowhere near as good as their premium.

2.89/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.94/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: Pours a deep gold body of uncomprimising clarity. Inch of white foam steadily thins.

Smell: Very, very minor sniffs of barley, corn and sulfur, lending to a rather forgettable aroma.

Taste: A blend of malted barley and grits with some slight sweetness and a firm touch of graininess. Minimally bitter, a bit of citrus character to the hops. Lightly yeasty. Lingering dryness on the crispish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's definitely got that Yuengling taste about it.

Taste a lot like Michelob Ultra. Not a fan of this beer whatsoever. I expected more from Yuengling. Pale golden color smells like a straw and tastes like drinking potato chips

3.02/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Lighter version of the original

3.07/5  rDev -12.3%

When in Rome...

Pale golden color, corn grits and wheat on the nose. Light, highly carbed, thin body. Pale malt flavor, not getting the same corn grits as found on the nose... overall just a decent Pilsner, crushable, crisp, and affordable. Definitely not great, but okay.

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Julian bottled date translates to March 19th, so this beer is less than 2 weeks old. Don't remember seeing a bottled date on Yuengling beers before, but perhaps I just don't pay attention to them since I live in Pottsville.

Pale golden yellow color, average carbonation, head dissipates very quickly to almost nothing. No lacing.

No aroma at all, nothing good, nothing bad.

Hmm. There is a certain slight sweet maltiness to it, but the aftertaste is a little off putting.

Mouth is above medium, faintly bitter, finish as mentioned above, is a little off.

Overall, I was looking forward to this one, since I enjoyed their most recent releases, Summer Wheat and IPL. Unfortunately, Golden Pilsener is a bit of letdown. In fact, it tastes similar to some of their other regular offerings. Sadly Summer Wheat and IPL have been discontinued. They were both better than this offering.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%