Yuengling Light Lager | Yuengling Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-22-2002

Ratings: 1,063 |  Reviews: 252

1.04/5  rDev -63.9%

1.3/5  rDev -54.9%

After being disappointed with the taste of the Trad. Lager, I tried their Light to see if it might offer anything. It most certainly does!! The taste is far superior of the Trad. Lager. and this Light has LESS CALORIES!! The Trad. has a sourness to its taste and I think that is due to the green bottle they insist on using. Their Light comes in a BROWN BOTTLE (get the hint Yueng.??) and it has a good flavor without all the sourness the Trad. has.

You want a Light with flavor? Try the Yuengling Light - it has a very good beer flavor.

6/18/2016 - update - tried this beer again yesterday. When very cold, this beer has almost no taste. It is like water. While that follows in the footsteps of Bud (King of Rice) and other macros (dont make a beer, just sell something that doesnt offend - that is their motto), I suggest you allow this beer to warm a little. After about 10 minutes at room temp., the taste returns and improves with each minute it gets warmer. Very good!

10/2016 - real bad news - they use GMO corn in their brew. Sorry, I cant go for that, regardless of the reason(s) they give. Corporations say GMO is "not bad". Sure, I believe them, remember how cigarette companies said cigarettes werent bad for us???

1.36/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is BEER? I know the rules say not to slam a beer, but I don't think this qualified as beer. (Maybe I got a hold of a bottle from a lousy batch.) Color is typical straw-yellow. Aroma is weak and unimpressive. Taste is very thin, more like water than beer. It reminds me of the quip that light beers are like doing gymnastics on the beach - flipping close to water.

1.42/5  rDev -50.7%

Appearance - For a light beer I was shocked to find it had an amber color. I was expecting it to be completely gross in color. It had a medium head that vanished as quick as it appeared with absolutly no lacing. Not great.

Smell - Faint hops and malt. Smell is very weak, but it isn't repulsive.

Taste - It has an initial shock of stomach acid followed by a weak aftertaste typical of rice beer. The very high carbonation numbs the tongue, probably to dull the flavor a bit. I can't imagine how gross this would be closer to room temperature. This is bad.

Mouthfeel - This feels thinner than water. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it feels thinner than water. The carbonation stings my whole mouth and numbs the tongue, but considering the flavor, it's needed.

Drinkability - I don't want this again, ever. I could use it as a session beer, but at 2.75 abv, I might as well put a drop of Kirschwasser in a big glass of water. That would taste like water and get the same alcohol in my system. Since the carbonation numbs your mouth, it could be eaten with bad food. Some one could serve it at their dinner party to conceal the fact that their cooking tastes terrible. Other than that, this is best left on the shelves.

1.45/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

bad even for a light beer…ice ice cold only

Yuengling Light Lager from Yuengling Brewery