Hershey's Chocolate Porter

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Hershey's Chocolate PorterHershey's Chocolate Porter
Notes: Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter is a fresh take on Yuengling’s 200-year-old Dark Brewed Porter. Don’t miss your chance to enjoy, for a limited time only, America’s #1 craft brewery, Yuengling, come together with America’s most iconic chocolate brand, Hershey’s, for their first-ever collaboration — Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter.
View: Beers
Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 200 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
secondtooth from Indiana

3.89/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: Light khaki suds that quickly dissipate into no lace.

AROMA: Nice milk chocolate character here, very appealing!

TASTE: Bittersweet milk chocolate comes through prominently, mild and smooth. There’s a roastiness but nothing near cherry of heavy. An impressive porter for chocolate fans or ideal for dark roast novices.

Sunday at 12:29 PM
andrewjraab from Michigan

4.21/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Amber brown, slightly opaque with a creamy white head that reduces to a fine white cap.

S -mmmmmm.....Hershey's milk chocolate, caramel and vanilla.

T - Follows the nose, creamy milk chocolate, malt forward, some bitterness in the back end, but overall very smooth nice silky mouth feel.

O - Very nicely surprised by this. Really well done chocolate porter.

Sunday at 02:23 AM
pkalix from California

4.21/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

dang it, yuengling! this is a masterpiece! there is a tinniness in the bottle, and it's a little strong, but i can overlook it in my excitement of finally getting my first one here in SoCal....

Nov 25, 2020
singletary from Mississippi

3.5/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It poured a dark chocolate color with very little tan head that leaves in a quickly. The taste is straight up milk chocolate with a sweet maltness on back half. The feel is somewhat watery for a porter or at least for me. Overall nice not outstanding but glad I got to try it.

Nov 25, 2020
Ricochet from Ohio

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

L: Damn lawyers. It says Yuengling on the bottle. Ahh but the Hershey's Chocolate may confuse then audience. I don't know, "21+ To Enjoy" sounds like something over a adult book retailer or a strip club. Oh yeah, the beer. Poured like motor oil but quickly foamed and carbonated like a soda. Head quickly went away and little lace hung on. With light on the glass I couldn't see through it.
S: Chocolate pudding.
F: Watery and thin. Almost no bitter, but not sweet either, so balanced on the palette.
T: First, I've had Yuengling Porter. It's good, for a big brewer and one of the few that put out the porter before the micro brew revolution of the 90's and the Oughts. It's made with adjuncts, but it was and still is made. So, this would be BudMillerCoors attempt. I do remember when Michelob tried this, craft beers with adjuncts to pretty good results. Gennesee's Dundee brand also does a decent job.

It makes sense to take a PA chocolate and make a "chocolate porter" from it with a PA beer. Well, it's lots of chocolate malt flavor, not overly sweet, but it stifles anything "porter" about this beer. Maybe some of the lasting backbone of a porter exerts itself but I'd almost like a hot chocolate for more chocolate flavor or a good "standard" porter like a Sierra Nevada or even Yuengling's porter for that porter flavor.

Overall, a decent attempt, one that will be as it is for someone looking for this. I often say that "Lord Chesterfield" Ale from Yuengling is one of my guilty favorites, but then I like Pabst as well.

Nov 22, 2020
beertunes from Kiribati

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to adrock314 for this one, from the recent Can Cans BIF. 12oz bottle (no date) poured into 14oz teku. Poured a solid black color with about 1/4 inch of tan head that had low-moderate retention and no lacing.

The aroma had a slight chocolate aroma at the front, with some light roast behind it.

Similar on the tongue, with both the chocolate and roast being a bit bolder.

The body was thinner than I prefer for the style, was smooth, and had a sweet finish.

Drinkabilty was fine, but not sure I'd want another right away.

Overall, a pleasant enough beer. Worth trying.

Nov 21, 2020
mntlover from Tennessee

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a dark only a thing tan head that doesn't lace well.

Aroma is chocolate and light malt not great but defiantly chocolate.

Taste is well chocolate not much else going on, light malt notes, eh not very complex.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation is smooth though.

Overall was curious at least it didn't kill the cat this time.

Nov 19, 2020
Dodo2step from Pennsylvania

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

A- dark black and opaque with a one finger head that is tan.

S- chocolate malts

F- chocolate powder flavoring with some hints of coffee malt

M- chocolaty and and creamy filling.

O- a great beer from yuengling. My favorite.

Nov 17, 2020
tzbel013 from Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

For those of us like me in Yuenglings distribution network it was exciting to see it in a six pack of bottles.
So as I poured into my drinking glass I immediately caught the Hershey's chocolate aroma followed by the dark color and the very thin head. First sip definitely had that Hershey's chocolate taste and then the malty finish. Very smooth like their Black & Tan with no real bitterness. Very thin but not overly sweet like many craft chocolate porters. Well done for their first collaboration!

Nov 14, 2020
dkoehler42 from New York

2.99/5  rDev -23.1%

I don't normally drink Yuengling, but I figured a Hershey's porter must be good. It pours an appropriate dark and non transparent brown. The head didn't last long. I didn't notice much of a nose. The taste is kinda like Hershey's chocolate syrup, but not really. It's not horrible, but certainly not my favorite by a mile. I wouldn't buy this again.

Nov 12, 2020
danducati from Pennsylvania

4.06/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this on draft in 2019 when it was available to some restaurants in a limited quantity. I was very excited about it and disappointed when it sold out so quickly. Now that it is back I have had more time to analyze it vs. other beers.

Beautiful dark & thick pour
Thin brown head that quickly dissipates
Chocolatey smell & taste
Ever so slightly bitter

Nov 11, 2020
Dingbat88 from Louisiana

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

At first I thought this beer had potential. And for the right drinker it does. Unfortunately that drinker is not me. If the taste would have matched the chocolate smell then this could have been much better. I have had other beers similar to this one but this one just did not match up for some reason. I didn't dislike it but it just was not for me.

Nov 08, 2020
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

Hazy deep mahogany brown beneath a decent sized head of tan with better than average head retention. The chocolate is clear in the nose; there’s dark malt but nothing else really comes through. Nice! The flavor doesn’t deliver quite the same hit of chocolate but that’s OK. There’s some fruitiness to it, and it finishes with a nice dollop of medium caramel. Moderately bitter and smooth but not sweet although you do pick up some lingering after a few sips if you don’t give your pallet enough time to clean up. Medium bodied and remarkably smooth; not creamy though. All in all not a bad sweetish porter but OK. Makes a decent dessert beer.

Nov 07, 2020
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Yuengling Hershey's Chocolate Porter has a dark, chocolate-brown appearance, with a medium, beige head and no lacing. The aroma is of baking chocolate with faint malt. The taste is of dry, baking cocoa and cream. There is no bitterness. I detected measured sweetness. Yuengling Hershey's Chocolate Porter has a medium body and a mostly dry finish.

RJT

Nov 07, 2020
PhilCarta from Florida

1.88/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

After 3 bottles in 5 days, yuck! Guy who said aftertaste is like dirt was optimistic. Tastes like a lite lager with chocolate malt. Remaining 3 are down the drain. 1 star because it does look great but the first, and only the first, sip is marginally average. The rest are watery, bodiless and with an objectionable flavor (and not remotely like chocolate). No.

Nov 06, 2020
jjamadorphd from Florida

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I finally did it...

...and it's, well, okay. I will say it smells delicious, like a Hershey's chocolate bar, and it looks great out of the glass, but the frothy head is short-lived and there is no lacing to mention. The rest of it is, well, like I wrote previously - okay. The taste is raw chocolate, not sweet at all really, and with a mouthfeel that is carbonated and watery across the tongue. I was expecting something a bit more sweeter and thicker and well, I got okay instead. I will say this, this would work great as a float and something I will try with the next bottle...

Nov 06, 2020
BREW2CHEW from Pennsylvania

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

pours very dark with hardly any head at all. Immediate nose of chocolate malt. a wig delivers hersheys chocolate bar big time perhaps a touch to much. feels smooth as chocolate milk. would purchase again when in mood for a sweet porter.

Nov 03, 2020
RobertB412 from Pennsylvania

3.94/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass with a dark brown color and quick disappearing tan head. Smells of chocolate and some roasted malt. The aroma follows through in the taste, Hershey's chocolate syrup, roasted malt, and finishing with some mild spice bitterness. I noted some slight metallic flavor in the aftertaste that went away after a few sips. Good carbonation, but a little thin in the body for this style to me. Overall, not too sweet. Very good.

Nov 01, 2020
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%

Drinking this at home.
Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass.
Appears dark brown with a nice foamy tan head that dropped quickly to a thin cap and a little bit of lacing.
Smells chocolatey, lightly malty, spicy.
Taste follows the nose nicely.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style with a good amount of carbonation.
Overall, I would definitely drink again.

Nov 01, 2020
dsa7783 from New Jersey

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Tap House in West Caldwell. Raisin/maroon appearance with minimal frothing. Mild aroma replete with hints of raspberry chocolate and nutmeg. Similar overall flavor profile. Easily drinkable. Good stuff.

Oct 31, 2020
jadpsu from Georgia

3.64/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased off the single shelf at Legacy.
LOOK: Pours near black with a brown sticky head that has good retention and lots of side glass lace.
AROMA: Chocolate and burnt chocolate as well as roasted malts.
TASTE: The chocolate is unmistakable. Frankly, don't care for chocolate in beer, I like beer that tastes like beer. Regardless, and while not in my wheelhouse, I should rate this as a porter that advertises Hershey Chocolate as an ingredient. On that basis the beer delivers as advertised.

Oct 30, 2020
Jkes from Florida

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

I'm not a beer snob. I judge only by taste. I'm a fan of Yuengling's Black & Tan. This tastes like squirting too much Hershey's syrup into one of those. I bought a 12 pack over a month ago, just to try something new, and still have 7 or 8 in the fridge. If you love Hershey's syrup and you love Yuengling's porters, you'll probably enjoy this. If you have had craft beers in the past that had a hint of chocolate and you liked that as a seasonal thing, this will overwhelm you with traditional Hershey flavor. It is NOT subtle. It's not the worst beer but I won't be buying it again.

Oct 30, 2020
brodyonthecorner from Pennsylvania

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with uniform, modest head. Smell is strongly Hershey's chocolate syrup and a bit of malt. Taste follows, largely chocolate syrup, some malt and fruit notes. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin. Overall kinda one-noted but it tastes exactly as advertised.

Oct 29, 2020
ChuckDardenne from Pennsylvania

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Head forms but quickly dissappates. Definitely smell the chocolate, but it seems gimmicky. The flavor is not there for me. I prefer their tavern porter. I am not likely to buy again. Of course I drank all that I bought, Out of their line up I like the Black and Tan and the Pilsner the best

Oct 26, 2020
UGB33 from Georgia

2.61/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I certainly was expecting chocolate but for me this is too much chocolate. I'm not saying it's carbonated Hershey's chocolate syrup, but it's not far from that. I can only have one. I don't want another after finishing the first one. So, if I'm in the mood for just one beer I guess this is ok. Bought a six pack and when it's gone I'll probably never buy it again.

Oct 25, 2020