Yuengling Bock | Yuengling Brewery

Style: Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

2.51/5  rDev -25.7%

Cool retro label on the bottle of a billy goat drinking out of a glass. Unfortunately, the label is what I liked best about this beer.
This is my first attempt with a Bock, so I have nothing from this style to compare it to.

This is a dark beer with a clear, brown/copper color with a tan head.

Medium bodied, Sweetness at first, but finishes with a dry bitterness.

I tried, but could not get excited about this one.

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

There are two predominant characteristics of beer flavor: hops and malt. Some palates prefer one of these, I prefer a balance of the two as is found in the beers from Germany. This bock is an example of a typical American style of bock where the hops predominate and the malt sweetness is in the background. FIne if you prefer this style, a tragedy if you do not. I prefer a more balanced brew.

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear, deep, mahagoney color with a bubbly pure white head. Smell is reminiscent of an adjunct lager, which does not bode well for this beer. Maybe some caramel-like malts in there as well.

Taste is lacking a bit. Some caramel malts come through, not a hint of hops, amd just the slightest hint of booze in the finish. The taste itself isn't actually so bad, but combined with an unpleasant smell and a weak, but too-highly carbonated mouthfeel, the taste and beer take a hit. Not a terrible beer, but I probably wouldn't be drinking it again anytime soon. Not sitting very well with me.

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

appernce - a dark amber brown with a fluffy white head that fades quick in to a thin lacing.

smell - a strong malt sent.

tast - a caramely malt with some tones of burnt flavor verry littel bittering.

mouthfeel - mediumlight.

not for me but it is worth a try.

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

On-tap at Fox & Hounds, located inside the Desmond Hotel (Malvern, PA). On to the beer:

Dark amber color to light brown. No head on top and lacing is nonexistant. The aroam is weak. Well....the bread crust is there, but what's that in the back, coriandor?!? Very light in the flavor as well. There's a touch of bread crust and a touch of sweet bread. Light and fizzy in the mouth.

This is more Shiner Bock than Anchor Bock overall. You could kick back with this, but you won't get a kick of flavor with this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not a stranger to the dark side; love the brown beers.

Had a clear memory of loving the high point: Celebrator.

Not going to say the look of the package didn't affect my purchase, but it may have nudged the appearance rating.
Above average, but too pale for good. Nice foam.

Weak malty smell. Hint of something, rye I think.

Mostly metallic, smooth malt. Rye, bitter, watery finish.

I want to love it, but it has barely manages a like.
The six I bought was enough.

2.67/5  rDev -21%

Good beer! I liked it very much. I am going to pick up some more next time I go to the store. It's just a nice change, a little darker a little richer, kind of like a stronger Yuengling Porter. If you are in the mood for it, it will taste even better!

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%

I ran across this interesting find in my go to beer store here in MD. Being born and raised in PA I was astonished to find a Yuengling brew that I had yet to sample. This was the start and the end of my happiness with regard to this beer. It pours slightly darker then there traditional lager. There is little to no overpowering aroma upon initial investigation. I took my first sip and was immediately surprised; however, in an unpleasant way. WHERE IS THE TASTE? I was expecting something akin to a doppelbock, but what I got was something much less. I feel that in the world of bargain beer, Yuengling has shown through and produced a fairly good lager. Entering this tasting with that in mind was a poor idea. I feel that this was a half hearted attempt at capturing the ever growing craft beer market. Yuengling family, please stick to what you are good at and not wonder off the beaten path. I am unfortunately not looking around anymore to find new concepts from this brewery.

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Deep brown to amber and crystal clear. Tan head with tight bubbles that leaves nice lace on side of glass. Very pretty.

S - Light chocolate malt aroma with a slight metallic tinge. Light burnt smell. Aroma seems a little simple for a bock.

T - Caramel and burnt malt flavor on the forefront. As with the aroma, the flavor is missing complexity and richness. Burnt malt and hop bitterness linger in finish.

F - Moderate carbonation and smooth. Light bodied for a bock and with quite a dry finish. I don't mind variations if it makes for a better beer, but this beer just feels a little thin.

D - Personally I'm a fan of Yuengling's flagship lager, but I don't feel that they did as a good a job with the bock. Nice to see them branching out, but I think they missed the mark on this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery